Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting a new thread for my 10,000 post! New photos!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
rick 918-S
This is my 10,000 post on the world forum screwy.gif and the start of a new build thread.

As some may know I purchased a project car for Sandy. She has been wanting a 914 of her own for awhile now. In order to qualify the car had to be an unusual color and not rusted in half. Oh, and it had to be low priced. I have two kids in college and Sandy's working on her Masters.

I purchased a car that was used as a parts donor for Bryanf' car. The color is Revenna. This met the first qualification. The photos show the car is pretty nice as far as 914 rust goes and Bryan allowed me to buy the car right.

I'm traveling to Half Moon Bay to recover the car. My oldest son Aric will be with me. We are leaving March 9th and plan to drive straight through. As part of the trip we want to put our feet on the ocean, maybe check out Chris Julian's Ultima and maybe turn a wrench or two on Rob Ways Dad's car.

Here's a couple of photos of the car. I think there are a few more parts missing than are displayed. I will be hunting for used stuff after I have a chance to see what I have.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The hell hole has light surface rust!!! No hole!

Click to view attachment

Here's the bad... Hit in the front which is the reason it became a parts car.

Click to view attachment

Hereis a photo of the new parts that started to arrive today! Sandy was excited enough to go on ebay and make an offer on a set of 2.0 euro P&C's. She offer $ 169.00 and the seller accepted!

Click to view attachment

We have been discussing names for her new car. Lots of funny and cool names have been suggested. Sandy was thinkin maybe "Abby" It's kind of a play on words and came from a discussion we were having. It won't happen until the time is right.

It started out as "Alien Baby". assimilate.gif shades.gif

So, Here's the start of a new chapter. Follow along if you want.
jcambo7
aktion035.gif drunk.gif popcorn[1].gif
carr914
Looks like a good starting point, but don't you think she is 4 P/Cs short? poke.gif

T.C.
EdwardBlume
Cool projet. Sandy has excellent taste in cars!
Andyrew
Awesome!! Say HI to Chris for me!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
looks like a GREAT starting point! great color rust free minor front end damage. Thank you for taking it upon yourself to save it.
Katmanken
Hey, I got one just like that.

Mine says Matchbox on the bottom....
Todd Enlund
Awesome. A stock-ish Ravenna car with steelies is what I was going to build for my wife ex when she decided that she wanted a teener.
MDG
I wasn't here when you did the Alien - though I've read through that thread . . . a few times. Looking forward to this one! Love those '70s colours colors.
Eric_Shea
One of my favorite colors.

I would go through it carefully though... looks like it was hit so hard that the transmission ended up in the front trunk! ohmy.gif
scotty b
So how many cars are you building right now Rick ? Benz, Healy, 914. Do you EVER sleep ?? You and Jake would make one hell of a build team. smile.gif

BTW what ever happens to Britts car ? Pinky
rick 918-S
So how many cars are you building right now Rick ? Benz, Healy, 914. Do you EVER sleep ?? You and Jake would make one hell of a build team. smile.gif

BTW what ever happens to Britts car ? Pinky

Still have them all. My job has been kicking my ass for the last 3 years. I'm just wrapping up a reconsiliation of a pile of invioces totaling $ 780,000.00. This is only part of the project. The loss will be 4mil. Makes my head spin. I predict a slowing trend for the kind of work I do. (at least I hope so)

The Benz, Driver side of the chassis is welded, all new Benz body panels test fit, Right side is stripped, frame rail is removed.

The Shealey is all wired except the F.I. harness. I mean dash to tail lights. The injection harness section is stripped of all dead end wiring within the injection harness and ready to install. Lots of little things to do. Disc brakes conversion, drive shaft, body work on the front clip and paint, etc. It's a long term full on resto/mod with everything being either repaired, replaced or modified. No hurry on completion. It was supposed to be the quick and dirty driver. But not anymore.

My 914 is and will always be a work in progress.

and the Raspberry car is so bad I can't decide whether to buid it or scrap it.

Entire the Revenna car. Sure it's tapped in the front but I plan on pulling the damage, painting what I have to and freshening the engine. I mean the heads go to the chevy machine shop for the low buck valve job, AA P&C's, crack the case for new bearings and seals, and get it running. No frills.

Ya, and I'll sleep when I'm dead. yellowsleep[1].gif
Eric_Shea
Shealey

Ooooh... I have my own car now.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 24 2010, 09:30 AM) *

Shealey

Ooooh... I have my own car now.

laugh.gif Here it is Eric! laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Up date already. As part of the journey to recover Sandy's car my son Aric and I may take a detour on the way back to Area51Werks. The Route 66 Classic is the same weekend as we are traveling home. We may steer the "Mothership" south east and pass by the event. Part of our journey will be through Witchita. Mike Moorman invited us to stop over and pick up a much needed front clip. As with anything, were in flux. shades.gif
gopack
I was wondering how long Rick could stay at 10,000 posts! I think he showed great restraint to stay long enough to make me wonder if there was some admin trickery involved!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(gopack @ Feb 24 2010, 01:05 PM) *

I was wondering how long Rick could stay at 10,000 posts! I think he showed great restraint to stay long enough to make me wonder if there was some admin trickery involved!

lol-2.gif I think it was something like 23.5 hrs. I couldn't restrain myself any longer. laugh.gif screwy.gif unsure.gif
markb
Cool!

A couple of comments:

You needed another project? biggrin.gif

Have you thought about naming it Matchbox?

Shall we start expecting you to drive 2 cars tho the next WCR?

10,000 posts? Blabbermouth. av-943.gif
rick 918-S
Time to update this. I hope to be able to spend a little more time on this car over the next 2 months. If my work flow cooperates... We shall see.

Here's where I started. I forgot to take a shot of the car before I started the work. So here's the best photo of the damage.

Click to view attachment

Here's a shot of the right side

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Right side.

Click to view attachment

Left side.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Check the kink in the inner panel

Click to view attachment

Check the hood to fender gap

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment

Here's the donor front clip after partial trimming. This was a gift from Mike Moorman. Thanks Mike! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Ok, Here's the fender I repaired this weekend. Seriously deformed light opening. It took about 12 hours to bring this back inline.
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Here's what I'm talking about. The whole fender was twisted outward as shown on the earlier photos of the hood to fender gap.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
After some serious twisting and hammering this is the end result.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
scotty b
welder.gif Damn your making me want a spot welder again sad.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 30 2010, 08:07 PM) *

welder.gif Damn your making me want a spot welder again sad.gif

I'm not ready to reattach the front panel yet but this is the spot welder I'm really stoked to fire up! welder.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
scotty b
Is that Lenco one of the older " green box" units? I know of one in the back of a local shop I might try to get if I can get the attatchments like you have for it idea.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 30 2010, 08:32 PM) *

Is that Lenco one of the older " green box" units? I know of one in the back of a local shop I might try to get if I can get the attatchments like you have for it idea.gif

Yep, A green 3000A. I snagged it off Ebay cheap. The attachment I have is a L-950. It requires an adaptor kit to work with the older welder but it's totally worth it. I think L-950 was around 650.00 including the kit.
rick 918-S
I started sand blsting the surface rust in the engine bay yesterday but it was so hot and humid my moisture filter was soaked through in about 20 minutes. But here is the reason I wanted this car.

Click to view attachment

The only holes are in the battery tray and the base of the rear bulkhead where the sound deadening pad was glued to it.

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
We have all seen this bulkhead rust before but not usually so little. There is a hole in each lower side of the bulk head in the usuall place that is the size of the end of an ink pen.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Spot welders and clean hell holes rule! smilie_pokal.gif

(even "I" can use a spot welder!) w00t.gif
rick 918-S
Finshed blasting. I removed the battery tray. I wasn't satified with the results I was getting with tray in place. I still need to condition/convert the metal before priming.

I went to the paint store today. I use DuPont and have used it all the years I have been working on cars. L65K is only available in Imron which is an old finish mostly used for fleet trucks. I brought the bent hood in with me to have it scanned. I'm having the paint mixed in Chroma One which is a very durable, workable, buffable and repairable finish. I asked for a pint to see how well the color will match once sprayed. The scanned formula didn't look right. I will need to correct it for a proper match.

Are you sitting down? $ 140.00 a pint
scotty b
Not surprising. The L80E for Jims car was 115.00 a pint for base. The only formulas the paint shop had for it was either Spies or Glasurit. I'm going to get it scanned so next time I can get it in Chromabase. That should save about 100.00 smile.gif
EdwardBlume
Decent tub there Rick! Git er dunn ! thumb3d.gif
BigDBass
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 20 2010, 11:28 PM) *
L65K is only available in Imron which is an old finish mostly used for fleet trucks. I brought the bent hood in with me to have it scanned. I'm having the paint mixed in Chroma One which is a very durable, workable, buffable and repairable finish. I asked for a pint to see how well the color will match once sprayed. The scanned formula didn't look right. I will need to correct it for a proper match.

I was sitting down. It didn't help. icon8.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jul 21 2010, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 20 2010, 11:28 PM) *
L65K is only available in Imron which is an old finish mostly used for fleet trucks. I brought the bent hood in with me to have it scanned. I'm having the paint mixed in Chroma One which is a very durable, workable, buffable and repairable finish. I asked for a pint to see how well the color will match once sprayed. The scanned formula didn't look right. I will need to correct it for a proper match.

I was sitting down. It didn't help. icon8.gif

Now figure that at 4-5 QUARTS of paint for an entire car. Taint cheap dry.gif
rick 918-S
Started getting things in order for next weekend. With any luck I will have this enigne back together and ready to install when the North Star Crew come to the Bolts and BBQ event here at Area51Werks.

Did a leak down but I couldn't get better than 40 on #4. Funny cause when I pulled the heads and cleaned them up I tested the seats with solvent and no valves were leaking. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Here's the block all cleaned up ready to do cylinder heights.
rick 918-S
Here's the heads. Looks like no cracks and I solvent tested them and the valves and seats weren't leaking.

These heads are off to the chevy guys machines shop. I have been wanting to test these guys on price. The work will be fine I'm sure. They do all kinds of aluminum head repairs these days.
rick 918-S
I hope to drive this car out to the RRC! aktion035.gif driving.gif

Second head.

Click to view attachment
Sleepin
Man, seeing that engine like that really makes me want to come up here and help!
jmill
Is that my old engine? If so it looks pretty good. I thought for sure the heads would look worse than that.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 14 2010, 08:44 PM) *

rick 918-S
Yep, The other engine I have must have a dropped seat because I cant turn it over a full rotation.

The engine was likely usable as is but For some reason I couldn't get a good leak down. Probably me using the tool wrong more than the engine. But anyway I have a new set of P&C's I'm sticking on so she should be good to go!
rick 918-S
Progress photos, My son Aric and I have been trying to clean the garage to make some room to work. Part of that involves emptying boxes by assembling things. Here's what we have been up to.

Click to view attachment

Made a tool to refinish cylinders without having the fly cut at the machine shop. These heads were really nice. I had new guides installed and they were ready to go.

Click to view attachment

Lapped the cylinders to the heads as instructed by Jake. pray.gif No head gaskets like the type I engines now.
rick 918-S
We were able to reduce the volume of boxes a little by bolting these parts on. Notice the lightened flywheel.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
We started pulling stuff the firewall to get it ready to paint before the engine goes in and discovered this clutch tube repair. Very poor quality repair hidden under wades of red silicon icon8.gif . So we get to do some welder.gif Notice how clean the metal is. drooley.gif Zero Rust!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
lottsa work to reduce the number of boxes in the garage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.