Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tubeframe 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Eric_Shea
I powdercoat all my arms the exact same way (leave the bearings in, etc).

I think once the bearing cover plate is torqued down, they ain't moving. I thought that was what you were getting at but, yeah, splitting hairs I would think.
Hontec
It's been a while since I had the chance to do some work on the car. Busy finishing up the last car (friends) in my shop and been doing some work on the house.

Lately I have this voice in my head ( and I must say: the voice has been stimulated by my wife and friends and certain parts suppliers ((namely the German Porsche dealership in my dad's town)) that's telling me to not cut up this perfectly good chassis, with hardly any rust, and to make her beautiful again and put in a nice 6-cylinder...........I must admit I am strongly leaning that way......I can get plenty of chassis' in way worse condition than mine and do the 4x4 thing to one of those. ( after all; most of that car will be cut out to make way for the 4x4 stuff)

So in anticipation of this plan, I bought me some goodies. Today the first parts arrived and many more to be expected:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The car will be GT fendered but I still want to make those fenders and doors out of dry carbon....
It will also get a rollcage...

more pics when all the other stuff get's in....
veltror
Can I ask where you got the front valence? I found a new but used one if you see what i mean in my thread. Don't tellme these are still available new...
Hontec
QUOTE(veltror @ Apr 26 2011, 07:55 PM) *

Can I ask where you got the front valence? I found a new but used one if you see what i mean in my thread. Don't tellme these are still available new...

The porsche dealer managed to order this one for me, so yes there are a few left in stock I guess..

MDG
QUOTE(Hontec @ Apr 26 2011, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(veltror @ Apr 26 2011, 07:55 PM) *

The porsche dealer managed to order this one for me, so yes there are a few left in stock I guess..

I think it depends on how energetic the guys in the warehouse are on any given day; sometimes it's easier to just go "Nah, we're out of those." But sometimes they actually do some digging, look and find!

Those parts look great. Can't wait for more updates.
db9146
Click to view attachmentBTW, the hardwoods floors in the parts warehouse / jig storage room are a nice touch. What sort of finish is that? I might want to try that in our dining room.

biggrin.gif w00t.gif

Wow.
Hontec
QUOTE(db9146 @ Apr 26 2011, 09:22 PM) *

BTW, the hardwoods floors in the parts warehouse / jig storage room are a nice touch. What sort of finish is that? I might want to try that in our dining room.

biggrin.gif w00t.gif

Wow.

Thanks, The floors in the jig storage room are laminate floors, and the hardwood "floor" in the last pics is my outdoor dining table... biggrin.gif
Hontec
QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 26 2011, 08:25 PM) *

I think it depends on how energetic the guys in the warehouse are on any given day; sometimes it's easier to just go "Nah, we're out of those." But sometimes they actually do some digging, look and find!

True!, i must say the parts guy at this dealership is worth his weight in gold, he goed to great lenghts... beer.gif
trojanhorsepower
I am really glad to hear that you are thinking along these lines. Like you said there are lots of rusted out ones to cut up, and after all you have that magnificent jig so....
Hontec
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 26 2011, 09:35 PM) *

I am really glad to hear that you are thinking along these lines. Like you said there are lots of rusted out ones to cut up, and after all you have that magnificent jig so....

I think it would grace the chassis all the more...........and it would give me a chance to use the jig more than once biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Hontec @ Apr 26 2011, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 26 2011, 09:35 PM) *

I think it would grace the chassis all the more...........and it would give me a chance to use the jig more than once biggrin.gif

Randall - glad to hear your decisoin. Here is a suggestion for you: Put in a 3.6. You will never be disappointed and it will go like a greased monkey.

I don't know what they are going for now, but probably 8-10K and with the dollar taking a dip a good investment for you.

And you can take it to the track, drive it wide open all day and all you have to do is change the oil.

My racing partner, Bill Pickering bought a 911 race car with a 3.6 and we autox and tracked that car. It was so much fun and so little maintenance.

Just my .02cents.

Hontec
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 27 2011, 01:33 AM) *

Randall - glad to hear your decisoin. Here is a suggestion for you: Put in a 3.6. You will never be disappointed and it will go like a greased monkey.

I don't know what they are going for now, but probably 8-10K and with the dollar taking a dip a good investment for you.

And you can take it to the track, drive it wide open all day and all you have to do is change the oil.

My racing partner, Bill Pickering bought a 911 race car with a 3.6 and we autox and tracked that car. It was so much fun and so little maintenance.

Just my .02cents.

Randal

You're absolutely right, The 3,6 from the 89-93 964 is a wonderful engine..... what also would be a great option for this car imho is a 3,2 with PMO manifolds (or jenvey) and go EFI with a crankfire distributorless ignition... ....No troubles whatsoever.

Randall biggrin.gif
Hontec
Took some pictures of the old Velios 914-6 mount I bought last week.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Also ordered one of the last J-West version 1 shift rod kits, better have one on the shelf..
Randal
QUOTE(Hontec @ Apr 27 2011, 12:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 27 2011, 01:33 AM) *

Just my .02cents.

Randal

You're absolutely right, The 3,6 from the 89-93 964 is a wonderful engine..... what also would be a great option for this car imho is a 3,2 with PMO manifolds (or jenvey) and go EFI with a crankfire distributorless ignition... ....No troubles whatsoever.

Randall biggrin.gif

I think one of the tricks with a 3.6 is swapping the manifold for a 3.2 which flows better. Not a nose bleed either.

Having a car with "No troubles whatsoever" is a good thing.

But you've had a few race cars already so your up on that learning curve.
Hontec
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 27 2011, 02:24 PM) *

I think one of the tricks with a 3.6 is swapping the manifold for a 3.2 which flows better. Not a nose bleed either.

Having a car with "No troubles whatsoever" is a good thing.

But you've had a few race cars already so your up on that learning curve.

ok, good to know.
One thing I would like to stick to on the 914 is something that looks like Webers, In my opinion the Webers are ultracool, however they need so much constant attention and I plan on taking the car on holidays to Italy, which means crossing the alps and I've seen the troubles with carbs and Altitude differences......

So I'm going to settle for ITB's with a map sensor and cold start enrichment.... smile.gif A nice crank trigger and a good Bosch fuel pump....it will give me less sleepless nights ( I hope idea.gif )
FourBlades

Are you planning to plumb a common point to read your manifold air pressure?

I always thought ITBs and MAP do not work well together due to noisy signal
at low RPM from all the intake pulses. Don't most people just use alpha N with
ITBs?

John
Hontec
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 27 2011, 04:01 PM) *

Are you planning to plumb a common point to read your manifold air pressure?

I always thought ITBs and MAP do not work well together due to noisy signal
at low RPM from all the intake pulses. Don't most people just use alpha N with
ITBs?

John

Yes,use a vacuum manifold and base the fuel map on a combination of map and tps, that does the trick.
Jeroen
have you checked out the KMS ITBs yet?
Hontec
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 27 2011, 05:39 PM) *

have you checked out the KMS ITBs yet?

No, not for the 911, I've worked with the older roller throttle bodies, they were very nice.

The only thing that holds me back from Kronenburg is the people themselves, I've dealt with them in the past when I helped Biesheuvel set up the Chevrolet Kalos challenge, they supplied the wiring harnesses and engines and it was no fun working with them........no way near to fun....
Jeroen
I have no experience with Kronenburg myself, but thought the ITBs are reasonably priced (compared to other brands)
Hontec
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 27 2011, 06:05 PM) *

I have no experience with Kronenburg myself, but thought the ITBs are reasonably priced (compared to other brands)

true, they are fairly cheap, I wonder if they fit the original manifolds, can't find that.

The Jenveys include a new manifold and are about 300 euro's more expensive for a complete kit( but they do include manifolds and linkage)

If the kms would fit directly to the head, that would be so much shorter ( however for mixture/evaporation not entirely beneficial, also depends on max rpm etc)

The TWM itb's have a nice option, an extra set of injectors over the horns, like the F1 engines

IPB Image

We once did this on a honda B16 1,6L engine and switched/transitioned at 6000rpm from the regular injectors to the ones in the horns: it gave us an extra 37HP in the 6000~9500 rpm range............would make considerably more on larger displacement.... fit the extra set of injectors in the filter housing, need an expensive stand-alone though to drive 12 injectors.... (motec)

Britain Smith
You should definitely check out some of the fuel injection systems from Rothsport

http://rothsport.com/Products/Engine/Fuel-.../FI-Systems.htm

-Britain

Hontec
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Apr 27 2011, 06:35 PM) *

You should definitely check out some of the fuel injection systems from Rothsport

http://rothsport.com/Products/Engine/Fuel-.../FI-Systems.htm

-Britain

Damn, the low rise system is what I had in mind, thanks Britain! I found my system!!
Britain Smith
Jeff over at Rothsport builds some awesome engines. I really like their slidevalve set-up. Give him a ring, tell him that Britain sent ya.

IPB Image

-Britain
Jeroen
Brit, do you know pricing on the Rothsport kits?
BKLA
low rise, complete... about $8k USD...

I looked into it for my 2.7 RS spec motor. Great system, beautifully made.

Just a wee bit out of my current budget!

edit - BTW: that price was to have Rothsport install. I dont know if they have a "kit" to install.
Hontec
QUOTE(BKLA @ Apr 27 2011, 07:26 PM) *

low rise, complete... about $8k USD...

I looked into it for my 2.7 RS spec motor. Great system, beautifully made.

Just a wee bit out of my current budget!

that is quite a pricetag, by the way: the throttlebodies/ units themselves, look exactly like Jenveys.....
BKLA
take a look at the PMO throttle bodies...

http://www.pmocarb.com/products.htm
Hontec
QUOTE(BKLA @ Apr 27 2011, 08:19 PM) *

take a look at the PMO throttle bodies...

http://www.pmocarb.com/products.htm

Yep, seen those, very nice as well......quite a different pricetag...
Hontec
Now we're talking:

IPB Image
Britain Smith
I believe that the $8K pricetag included everything like the ECU, tuning, etc. It is worth giving Jeff at Rothsport a call.

-Britain
Randal
QUOTE(Hontec @ Apr 27 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Now we're talking:

IPB Image

No question, slick!

Good thing your not living close to Laguna Seca. You'd never pass the 92db sound limit with those air gulpers.

You'll probably need to wear ear plugs, but with those on a 3.6 the sound would be magical. first.gif

When you start her up you need to tell everyone around to keep their hands and fingers in their pockets. And no ties allowed.
Randal
Question:

What is the advantage of spraying the fuel from the very top of the TB?

Is there some advantage with atomization?

rohar
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 28 2011, 07:05 AM) *

Question:

What is the advantage of spraying the fuel from the very top of the TB?

Is there some advantage with atomization?

Twin batch injection adds one more tunable thing to the pile. At low air velocity, the lower batch of injectors delivers a more effective atomization. At higher air velocity, the top set delivers better atomization. Of course then you have to deal with the overlap and the math starts to get a bit much so many run the lowers all the time and bring the uppers in as secondaries when load hits a given threshold.
Hontec
Britain this is for you:

The old floor got dirty, so instead of cleaning, I decided to put a new one in alltogether. My new company logo is green/black, so I used it in the floor....

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Britain Smith
What did I do?

Looks awesome!

-Britain
Hontec
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ May 10 2011, 10:27 PM) *

What did I do?

Looks awesome!

-Britain

whahaa, lol....you're always telling me there is stuff on the floor.... biggrin.gif
Britain Smith
Ha, your garage is cleaner than my house!

-Britain
Jeroen
My dad had the exact same tiles put on his garage floor last year. Awesome stuff
Hontec
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 11 2011, 01:01 PM) *

My dad had the exact same tiles put on his garage floor last year. Awesome stuff

this floor is amazing, the old one was still perfect after 5 years of abuse, only replaced it because I had water damage in the garage.
Never going back to stone/concrete or epoxy in the garage....this is the best
quadracerx
Ok..so is it actual tile or VCT or? It is cool...looks awesome...any experts know how it works over a concrete floor that has moisture issues? Any special prep to make this work in this situation?

Thanks for your input...

Steve
BKLA
What is the product? Looks really nice!
mrgjones
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 27 2011, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Hontec @ Apr 27 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Now we're talking:

IPB Image

No question, slick!

Good thing your not living close to Laguna Seca. You'd never pass the 92db sound limit with those air gulpers.

I'm about 6 miles away. When they're out there racing it sounds like they're racing down my street so I think that noise limit is already blown out! This car would be awesome at Leguna Seca but then again, I can't even get around that track on the xbox.
Hontec
QUOTE(quadracerx @ May 12 2011, 12:50 AM) *

Ok..so is it actual tile or VCT or? It is cool...looks awesome...any experts know how it works over a concrete floor that has moisture issues? Any special prep to make this work in this situation?

Thanks for your input...

Steve

It's recycled pvc from electricity wire.

My concrete floor had issues when I had water that came in from the outside, the glue they used before reacted with the water and became mushy. Since the florr is sealed, it could not get away.

They removed the old one, put an epoxy floor on the concrete so moist can never penetrate again and then they glued on the new floor with another glue that can withstand anything........they guarantee never to have any issues again....I just pity the one who will ever have to remove this floor..........not in my lifetime they say... biggrin.gif
Valy
We want an update!!
icon_bump.gif
Hontec
QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 27 2011, 08:13 AM) *

We want an update!!
icon_bump.gif

Sorry for the lack of updates, still in the process of removing body panels/fenders and all stuff that's not going back on before she goes off to be blasted.

Decided to open up the sills from the outside to enable the blaster to reach the inside of the side beams so they can be protected from the elements on the inside before the new panels and new sills go on.

I also lacked to take pictures and bought a 964 that took up some time as well.....

Hope to have some pictures in the next few weeks

Thanks

Randall
Hontec
There is a small update parts wise; I managed to get hold of a set of 15x8 Fuchs wheels, New old stock mudflaps, nos door sills and a nos wiper unit.

Pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Mike Bellis
That wiper motor is pretty! wub.gif
sixnotfour
MudFlaps, wub.gif If you ever want to part with them ? let me know
wingnut86
...so, the NOS Wiper package was what is US $$?

Can I send your local connection some American "Southern" Barbecue Sauce to tempt them to ship direct to me beer.gif

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Wing-Guh-Nut86
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.