Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disco Bay, CA transmission rebuild clinic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Dr Evil
Steve,
click on the rebuild link in my sig for some instructions on how to remove these items, and what to preserve when doing this. Let me know if that doesnt clear it up.
recko911
Dr. Evil
When would you be coming to Los Angeles for a clinic.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(recko911 @ Mar 9 2011, 10:12 PM) *

Dr. Evil
When would you be coming to Los Angeles for a clinic.

No time in the foreseeable future. However, if you can rally enough interest, I will do one where ever. I would do one at the north pole if there was enough interest smile.gif
Gudhjem
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 9 2011, 05:20 PM) *

Steve,
click on the rebuild link in my sig for some instructions on how to remove these items, and what to preserve when doing this. Let me know if that doesnt clear it up.

Thanks. I couldn't find it in the link or in the notes, but I did find it on the rebuild vid. Disk 2, Ch 4.5!
Dr Evil
Tickets are purchased! No turning back now biggrin.gif

Jeeper John, I sent your H gear set out today.
Jeffs9146
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif jsharp.gif
Mike Bellis
Herr Dr. Evil und Frau Evil ist kommend um town! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Transaxle glucklich stunden.
Dr Evil
I have some very bad news dry.gif We had our scheduling meeting last night and shit got bumped around. Even though I told the upper years that I spent money and had obligations, they scheduled me for med service during my time off for this clinic and will comp me in week after next. I didnt need the week after next off!

I am so sorry about this. I guess this is what I get for trying to do too many things at once. I will of course refund all of the $$ as soon as I can regenerate it (some will be delayed, if you dont mind then speak up so I know who needs it back first).

This blows sad2.gif
Jeffs9146
sad.gif SOOOOOOO When is the new date???? confused24.gif

OHHHHH April Fools right beerchug.gif beer.gif
Dr Evil
sad.gif
Mike Bellis
For reals??? Should I cancel your flights?
Dr Evil
No, April fools smile.gif
Mike Bellis
You are an EVIL Doctor... evilgrin.gif
Dr Evil
icon_bump.gif

Please review the 1st post to make sure you are on the list if you paid/compensated me.

I highly recommend pulling your side cover plate to inspect your pinion gear prior to the clinic to see if there will be a problem with your gear box. I have spare R/P but will not bring them with me unless I know that they are needed.

If you dont know how to pull the side cover, let me know and I will post a how to.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 15 2011, 03:13 PM) *

If you dont know how to pull the side cover, let me know and I will post a how to.

Yes, please post a how-to .....
Mike Bellis
I'm bringing both my trannys. One is for parts although my good trany is still good(just a cracked mount). I may also have some extra parts in my spare if needed.
dem
Okay, I got wifely approval to spend the weekend in the middle of no where playing with old porsche parts..

What do I need to do?

I have a spare, undrained trans. What do I need to do with it before bringing it over?

I've also got a decent used spare slider & 1st, if I don't need it, I'll sell it to someone who does.

Dennis

Dr Evil
I will try to get a pictorial up on how to inspect the pinion. That is the main thing that needs to be done before.

Registered?
gopack
Please add me if it isn't too late (PM sent).

LOOK at me ROB, working on my car!
jeeperjohn56
Mike, Do you know when we'll be having this clinic? or was it a real April Fool's. John WTF.gif
Dr Evil
John, it was purely and april fools joke. The clinic is still on for the same time at the same place smile.gif

Post # 112 is where I say it was a joke wink.gif
Dr Evil
Here is the thread on how to do a quick inspection of your pinion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1465969
Andyrew
I Just noticed that this event is going to be on "Graffiti weekend", which is the annual american graffiti tribute car show that I am prepping my car to attend(the official reveal).. ARG.

Damn! Now I might be able to drive up to watch for a couple of hours (I was previously planning on coming to watch for a day), but I need to attend this the car show...

Damn..
gopack
Did you get my check? It hasn't been cashed yet , and my name hasn't been added to first post. let me know if there is any problem
Dr Evil
Finally had a moment to get to the bank today. Will up date the first post tonight smile.gif

Just harvesting some primo used parts I scored at the Hershey swap smilie_pokal.gif
Dr Evil
First post updated to reflect the latest smile.gif
fteixeira
Long time lurker here. Bought a '74 1.8L in desperate need of some TLC recently. First, let me thank everyone who has posted and is active on 914world. I have learned so much about my 914. It's simply awesome that we are keeping these great cars alive.

Sent my check in a while ago. Picked up an old used 901 side-shifter cheap. I'm hoping that I can get some replacement parts out of it, at the very least. See everyone at the clinic.

Dr.Evil: will you have extra DVDs at the clinic? The one I have skips in certain parts, making it miss a sentence or two.

By the way, I'm in Santa Clara, CA.
Dr Evil
Fernando, I will have DVDs at the clinic. I will give you another copy then, or mail one out now if you prefer. Sorry for the recording error.
palmer_md
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 30 2011, 04:00 PM) *

June 11-12

Cost is $300 per person, unlimited transmissions. I have good used parts, and new parts will be at whole sale with 0% mark-up. If you are not building, it is free to watch. I supply special tools, instruction, parts, noxious fumes. smile.gif

Price includes stainless hardware, cleaner, rags, basins, gloves, transmission rebuild DVD for those who dont already have it.

I skimmed through the posts and did not see anywhere the hours for this clinic. I'm assuming its a 9am-5pm type of thing for each day. The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to attend, but I do have an appointment in Stockton at 7pm on Saturday, so I'd have to leave about 4-5pm to go get ready. Does that leave me enough time or is this thing a day and evening thing on Saturday and I'd miss all the action.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(palmer_md @ May 6 2011, 06:46 AM) *

June 11-12

Cost is $300 per person, unlimited transmissions. I have good used parts, and new parts will be at whole sale with 0% mark-up. If you are not building, it is free to watch. I supply special tools, instruction, parts, noxious fumes. smile.gif

Price includes stainless hardware, cleaner, rags, basins, gloves, transmission rebuild DVD for those who dont already have it.

I skimmed through the posts and did not see anywhere the hours for this clinic. I'm assuming its a 9am-5pm type of thing for each day. The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to attend, but I do have an appointment in Stockton at 7pm on Saturday, so I'd have to leave about 4-5pm to go get ready. Does that leave me enough time or is this thing a day and evening thing on Saturday and I'd miss all the action.

I did mine at the last clinic and left at 5:00 with a complete transmission!

Stockton is only 30 minutes away so even if you leave at 6:00 you still have an hour!
palmer_md
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 6 2011, 07:55 AM) *

I did mine at the last clinic and left at 5:00 with a complete transmission!

Stockton is only 30 minutes away so even if you leave at 6:00 you still have an hour!

Yeah, but I have to get into a suit, and I don't imagine I'll be working in my suit at the clinic. I also have to pick up my gf, but thanks, at least it gives me hope that I won't be missing out on something if I sign up.
fteixeira
June 11 is coming quick! I don't see my name on the tuition paid list, but hopefully the good doctor will update it.

Other than what's already shown in the Haynes manual method or the pelican write-up, does anyone have some tips and tricks for dropping the transmission (+engine)? I'll have to plan this out in preparation for the class. I have all the typical garage tools: plenty of jack-stands, 2 jacks, a furniture dolly, creeper, etc.

Thanks!

fteixeira
Dr Evil
You are good, I have been in the PNW since Fri night and busy so havent updated things. Dont worry, I will.

Yes, a transmission can be done in one day. Start time is 0900 and quit time is midnight.
Dr Evil
First post updated with the latest numbers. I know of one more in the mail smile.gif

PNW was a BLAST! This is looking to be just as kick ass!
Dr Evil
First post updated with new attendee smile.gif
Mike Bellis
GPR is sending out my gasket kits. I got 2 there cheap... piratenanner.gif
JStroud
Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any information on where the clinics at other than Discovery Bay?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jsconst @ May 24 2011, 06:47 PM) *

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any information on where the clinics at other than Discovery Bay?

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure where I'm going either... I do have my 2 gasket sets! piratenanner.gif
dem
I'm out, due to a complicated series of events. I am sad since I had acquired a spare trans specifically for this purpose. sad.gif Dr. Evil you want a "demo" trans to rebuild during the class!?!? smile.gif
Dr Evil
Dem, PM me and I will see if I can help you out.

The location is to be sent to people by the host, I think. I can provide it for those needing it as I do have it but will not post it (its not mine wink.gif ).

First post updated...
Mike Bellis
If it works out, I can get Dem's tranny to the event if he can deliver it to me in San Carlos at work.
dem
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 24 2011, 08:43 PM) *

If it works out, I can get Dem's tranny to the event if he can deliver it to me in San Carlos at work.

Thanks for the kind gesture. I've PM'd the good Doctor to see what we can do. I'll let you know!

914world rules!

Dr Evil
This brings up a good point that I should have thought to include in other clinics. I can easily rebuild a few gear boxes whilst teaching others. As such, if people can not make it they can still send their boxes and parts ahead and I will take care of it. I will gladly do this for Dem. I can fit a few more in if there is a need.

Plus, it gives the spectators something to do as I enlist them to work happy11.gif
jeeperjohn56
Mike, I'm coming to change out my 5th gear with a flipped H, But I'll help out with Dem's Trans,will be there for both days. John
Dr Evil
If I get multiples I will let you know. Thanks for offering. I will want to do this one as a show-and-go smile.gif Then Dem has it rebuilt by the "all knowing master of all things transmission".....well, just me tongue.gif rolleyes.gif
Mike Bellis
Dem will be dropping off his trans with me in the next few days. I will bring it to the clinic and return it to Dem. Sam Adams will do an assist with lifting it into my truck.
fteixeira
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 25 2011, 05:35 PM) *

Dem will be dropping off his trans with me in the next few days. I will bring it to the clinic and return it to Dem. Sam Adams will do an assist with lifting it into my truck.

Dem, I am also willing to take your transmission and be a back-up if you run into any difficulties. I am planning to take my car's tranny (need to pull it out at home) and a spare tranny (possibly rebuildable; if not, for spare parts). Easy to fit a third in my SUV.

I'm in Santa Clara, close to El Camino and San Tomas.

Fernando T
dem
Thanks Fernando - Mike is right on my way to work, so I think I'm ok. Gonna clean it up this weekend and drop it off next week.

Still sad I am going to miss the clinic. Transmissions are something I never felt up to tackling myself.

QUOTE(fteixeira @ May 26 2011, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 25 2011, 05:35 PM) *

Dem, I am also willing to take your transmission and be a back-up if you run into any difficulties. I am planning to take my car's tranny (need to pull it out at home) and a spare tranny (possibly rebuildable; if not, for spare parts). Easy to fit a third in my SUV.

I'm in Santa Clara, close to El Camino and San Tomas.

Fernando T

Mike Bellis
icon_bump.gif
Jeffs9146
To all of those who will be attending this clinic, please send me a PM and I will reply with the location information, phone numbers and a mapquest link to my house!

As an overview,

I am located 30 minutes West of Highway 5 and Stockton on Highway 4!

From the West I am located 35 minutes East of Antioch near Brentwood. You take the Highway 4 to the Highway 4 Bypass and follow the signs to Discovery Bay/Stockton Left at Marsh Creek Rd, Turn Right at Highway 4 and keep Left twards Stockton!

Or if you are driving a Teener you might enjoy taking Marsh Creek Road East from Walnut Creek or Concord all the way!! driving.gif Quite a twisty road around Mt. Diablo!! piratenanner.gif

If you are on 580 you would exit North on Vasco Road and turn Right on Marsh Creek Road until you hit Highway 4 and turn Right! Follow Highway 4 East (keep to the Left) a few miles to Discovery Bay! There is a slightly quicker way (about 4 minutes) but it is complicated and alot of people get lost!!

I drive to SF every Sunday and home every Monday so I know it takes about 1 3/4 hours or less with no traffic from down town SF to my front door!

Livermore is about 35 minutes

Walnut Creek is about 45-50 on Marsh Creek Rd

I am looking forward to making this a good experience for everyone involved! I am planning on Smoking some tri-tip so if anyone wants to bring side dishes and snack stuff that would be great!! beerchug.gif chowtime.gif

Jeff

June 11-12

Current list of attendees with paid tuition, updated 5/17:

JS from Galt + parts
DK in San Jose + parts
Steve F from Merced + parts
Gopack + parts + side shifter goodies
Gudjem + parts
Fernando T. + parts
Jose S. + seal kit
Judd A
J Malone
Vaught
Dave W
Mike B. (Hooked up the tickets)
Jeffs9146 (host)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.