Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disco Bay, CA transmission rebuild clinic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Lennies914
I'm going to the thrift store for some polyester. piratenanner.gif I hope there will be plenty of refreshments. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Feb 1 2011, 08:34 PM) *

I'm going to the thrift store for some polyester. piratenanner.gif I hope there will be plenty of refreshments. beerchug.gif

Lennie, I'm picturing you in a one piece pants suit, wide collar, dark oarnge with brown piping. aktion035.gif Yea... that's the ticket wub.gif I can hardly wait to see you sheeplove.gif

Wait! scratch that! I'll be OK in the morning icon8.gif
Lennies914
Wow, I was thinking all white, but the gear oil wouldn't blend. I think I like it. Maybe I'll find a big BOOM box at the thrift store for my Bee Gee's cassette.
Jeffs9146
Maybe I'll find a big BOOM box at the thrift store

Don't worry, thats my garage stereo!!! You have seen it! party.gif
underthetire
Wow, sounds like we are bringing back the old swinger days db was famous for!
Mike Bellis
I have taken care of the Evil flight for Mr & Mrs Evil. They will fly into Oakland from Pittsburgh Friday? before the Evil Event. Dr. Evil will confirm dates with me. Does the Dr. need an Evil ride to the Disco? driving.gif
Dr Evil
We are going to rent a car for the week so I that the missus can get around to see friends and family. smile.gif
jeeperjohn56
Mike, I already rebuilt my tranny at McMarks clinic, but will be putting it in a 3.2-6 conversion, what re-gearing would you suggest? or would it be okay with stock gears? If I don't do the clinic, I might come and watch. John
Dr Evil
The typical thing people like with bigger engines is a taller 5th gear for lower RPM in the form of a flipped H or HB gear set. You can get more exotic, but this it the typical, easy thing. If you just want to switch a gear in a box we already built, just bring it by at no charge. The work is negligible and not worthy of a fee.
zx-niner
Registration fees mailed today. biggrin.gif Will start talking parts and gearing after next payday or tax return. sad.gif
jeeperjohn56
Mike, That sounds great, Do I have to source out a H or HB gear set? John
Dr Evil
Yes. I do not have any.
RJMII
I have done several of these and have nothing but accolades from attendees.

accolades and friends that bump threads for a worthwhile weekend trip.
icon_bump.gif
jeeperjohn56
Hey Mike, What other gear set would be close to a "H" or "HB" would a "ZD" work? just going by what someone suggested. I have no clue about any of the gearing or cost so all help is appreciated. John
arkitect
Mike,
Have not been on the world in awhile, glad to see this is happening in Discovery Bay, just west of Stockton. piratenanner.gif

I'm in, will pm you for where to send the money.

Dave
underthetire
Im probably not in. Finances and a blown up engine... I can help others. Was thinking about doing a smoked pulled pork sandwiches for the event...
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Feb 6 2011, 06:26 PM) *

Hey Mike, What other gear set would be close to a "H" or "HB" would a "ZD" work? just going by what someone suggested. I have no clue about any of the gearing or cost so all help is appreciated. John

ZD is the gear already in the box. There is no close to H or HB.
Gudhjem
I'm in. Probably only for Saturday though, so will get done as much as I can then.

Mike Bellis
Well Dr. Evil, I'm looking forward to you telling me what 5th gear I have. My box was rebuilt by a former owner and a taller 5th was installed. I have a little whine in 5th, maybe a flipped H? Sometimes it is a little stif going into 2nd but no grinding. If I shift to 1st, then into 2nd, super smooth.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Gudhjem @ Feb 7 2011, 08:45 PM) *

I'm in. Probably only for Saturday though, so will get done as much as I can then.

Not a problem. I have many people do two rebuilds in a weekend so one is totally doable in a day.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 7 2011, 09:16 PM) *

Well Dr. Evil, I'm looking forward to you telling me what 5th gear I have. My box was rebuilt by a former owner and a taller 5th was installed. I have a little whine in 5th, maybe a flipped H? Sometimes it is a little stif going into 2nd but no grinding. If I shift to 1st, then into 2nd, super smooth.

Probably a bad bearing. A flipped H doesnt generally howl.
jeeperjohn56
Hey Mike, Are you going to get rid of your "H" gear in your box? If so I would be interested in it. John
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Feb 8 2011, 04:07 AM) *

Hey Mike, Are you going to get rid of your "H" gear in your box? If so I would be interested in it. John

I was not planning a full rebuild on mine. It was done recently. I am planning to swap my nose cone for my spare. However, I will not need the taller 5th with my new engine. I am open to negotiations...
Dr Evil
Registrations fees arriving now! I will list which ones arrive in the first post and if they reserved parts. smile.gif
Gudhjem
Okay Doc, I pulled my gear stack this today and took some pics. Hard to believe you can tell what I might need from these photos. Maybe I need to dismantle a bit more for you to see it?

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=249
128]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Gudhjem
A few more:

Dr Evil
From those pics alone I see that you need:

1st teeth
2nd teeth
3rd band
2nd band

Take off 1st gear slider and photo the teeth and band. It is only one 13mm bolt.
Dr Evil
This is your fist gear slider. The big money part. Remove it and let us see what is under it.
Gudhjem
This one?

I think I know the answer sad.gif
Dr Evil
Your transmission lived a good life. Your 1st slider is actually reusable smilie_pokal.gif

Your 1st band is in good shape as well, which leads me to believe that someone was in there at one point in the last 10 years. Your 1st teeth still look shot. This is not the normal wear pattern. It usually goes: band-->teeth--> slider. This also just so happens to be the cost curve as well with the cheapest part wearing first.
Dr Evil
Pics of the teeth on second gear slider would be helpful.
Gudhjem
second gear would be the one in the middle of this pic?:

Click to view attachment

The shift fork doesn't want to move. It needs to move away from the intermediate plate? Do I need to move 1st or 5th, or...? confused24.gif

Dr Evil
It wont shift into 2nd because it is already in 4th. You need to center the rod that actuates 4-5 and then shift into 3rd. smile.gif

Other Disco Bay folks, feel free to pull your stacks and post pics here so that I can diagnose some of what you need. It will help with parts purchases smile.gif
Dr Evil
1st post updated to include Gudjem in the list smile.gif
kconway
Mike,
What if you need to change out the intermediate plate. Is that something that can be done in this clinic? Isn't there a lot of fussing with pinon depth or something equally difficult sounding?

*why the intermediate plate...person who was last in my box yielded the threads on the I-plate for the plug cover on the detent ball/springs...haven't filled it yet and run it to see if it leaks or not.

Kev
Dr Evil
Intermediate plate swap is not a problem smile.gif
Gudhjem
Alright, I think I've got it. How's this?:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
The dog teeth on 2nd are worn. The band on 2nd is done. The teeth on the 2-3 slider, 2nd gear side are not visualized so I can not make a call on those. If there are pointy like on the 3rd gear side then they are OK, but I would bet not. I would recommend a replace of the aforementioned parts.
VaccaRabite
Hrm....
This would be my birthday weekend.
I could fly out and back for ~500, and just hang out and meet some of the left coast crew....

Kinda tempting....

Zach
Dr Evil
Oooooo. Hm?
underthetire
I plan on having the boat in the water by then....I know the other Jeffs is in the water now. poke.gif
Gudhjem
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 16 2011, 07:12 AM) *

The dog teeth on 2nd are worn. The band on 2nd is done. The teeth on the 2-3 slider, 2nd gear side are not visualized so I can not make a call on those. If there are pointy like on the 3rd gear side then they are OK, but I would bet not. I would recommend a replace of the aforementioned parts.

Another try at the 2d gear side of the 2d/3rd slider. Best angle I think is through the hole in the intermediate plate:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Your photography is pretty amazing smile.gif

2-3 slider looks usable. We will swap positions with 4-5 and bee just fine. smile.gif
Dr Evil
icon_bump.gif

If any of you want to pull your stacks and take pics of them and post them here, I can save you some heart ache smile.gif
Lennies914
Hey Doc,
Between Jeff, Dave, and myself (who have not registered yet) we have at least four cores (maybe more). Would you like to look at those to see what is usable?
Dr Evil
I only need to see the ones you are rebuilding so I can tell you what you need. At that point we can look at the other cores and see if they have parts to satisfy your needs.
The first thing to consider is if the pinion is good.
Mike Bellis
Dr.

I'm only planning to swap my tail piece. One of the mounting ears is cracked. I do have a core tranny. Where can I get the gasket kit?

BTW, have you decided when you want to fly? PM me your info when ready.
Dr Evil
Will be in touch. For gasket kits, check out GPR smile.gif Tell them I sent you. Or, I can get them for you (about the same price).
Dr Evil
1st post updated with current paid attendees.

Also, now that I have the ability to burn my own DVDs, I will be including my transmission rebuild course DVD in the tuition for those who dont already have it smile.gif I will bring them with me.
Gudhjem
Doc, I'd like to remove the ring and pinion from the case to make cleaning easier. I take it removing, well, re-installing, the R&P is no problem, right? I just pull it out the side and put it back in the same way. Just checking before I screw it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.