Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disco Bay, CA transmission rebuild clinic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Dr Evil
June 11-12

Cost is $300 per person, unlimited transmissions. I have good used parts, and new parts will be at whole sale with 0% mark-up. If you are not building, it is free to watch. I supply special tools, instruction, parts, noxious fumes. smile.gif

Price includes stainless hardware, cleaner, rags, basins, gloves, transmission rebuild DVD for those who dont already have it.

Current list of attendees with paid tuition, updated 5/17:

JS from Galt + parts
DK in San Jose + parts
Steve F from Merced + parts
Gopack + parts + side shifter goodies
Gudjem + parts
Fernando T. + parts
Jose S. + seal kit
Judd A
J Malone
Vaught
Dave W
Mike B. (Hooked up the tickets)
Jeffs9146 (host)
biosurfer1
June in Stockton huh....got AC?
Lennies914
June works for me. It will be hot. If you are staying at Jeff's I'm sure we'll be doing some time on the water anyhow. If for any reason the dates don't work out to stay with Jeff, you're welcome at my place as well. I'm right around the corner and on the water. beerchug.gif
Sorry no airline miles though.
Dr Evil
Someone had miles and the less it cost me to get there the less people I need to afford to make it happen smile.gif It is Sun, which is a slow World day.

As for dates, I can rotate either or since now Noel is not going to be in classes this summer and can come out for vacation to the PNW either time. She may come out for Stockton as well to visit family in SJ.
dem
I can do either of those, I think.. I got a nice core from someone doing a subaru conversion sittin' in my garage that could use freshening.

JStroud
I would be intersted in at least watching your clinic (not sure if mine needs rebuilt, haven't driven the car yet). Hopefully I'll have it running and find out before, so I'll vote for June, might need the extra time.
Dr Evil
build it now, or build it later for more $$$ happy11.gif
jeeperjohn56
Mike, Are you going to bring any of your video's with you I would like one. I took your clinlic at McMarks shop in Napa. Thanks John
Dr Evil
John, I can not guarantee that I will have any left by then. I have only a few now and I sell a few a week. At that rate, probably not. You can get one now for $40 shipped biggrin.gif I am shameless.

More info:

I will always advise a look-see inside the box. If anyone brings a box that doesnt need a rebuild (not happened yet that I remember), pay for a seal kit, reseal the box, and take back your $300 wink.gif No need to pay if you dont need to build. Right?
Jeffs9146
My house is available!! I think Disco-bay will have lots of attendees!! I know Me, Lennie & mayby the other Jeff and Jeeper John have trans needs!!

Dr Evil
Sounds good, lets discuss particulars behind the scenes. Are you the one that originally volunteered and posted that nice pic of your back deck???
JStroud
More info:

I will always advise a look-see inside the box. If anyone brings a box that doesnt need a rebuild (not happened yet that I remember), pay for a seal kit, reseal the box, and take back your $300 wink.gif No need to pay if you dont need to build. Right?

That sounds more than fair, let me know where and when.
mines got 112k miles now, hopefully won't need too much. The peace of mind would be worth it, plus i'd love to tear apart a transmission with someone there to keep me from f#*#ing it up!
Jeffs9146
Sounds good, lets discuss particulars behind the scenes. Are you the one that originally volunteered and posted that nice pic of your back deck???

Yep that's my Kegerator! beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jsconst @ Jan 31 2011, 12:58 AM) *

More info:

That sounds more than fair, let me know where and when.
mines got 112k miles now, hopefully won't need too much. The peace of mind would be worth it, plus i'd love to tear apart a transmission with someone there to keep me from f#*#ing it up!

Generally speaking, people tend to need 2 bands, 2 sets of teeth, and seal kit (I can get for you) at the minimum. Often the lower intermediate plate bearing is needed. This is the typical. If you buy new vs used the prices vary a lot. If you buy used from me at/for the clinic I always cut you a price break (not looking to jack the price up once I have you in need). Feel free to contact me fro pricing and purchasing. You are welcome to buy now when you pay for your tuition. I have limited qty of used stuff and it will be getting less at time and clinics move on. I will try to replenish, but can not promise. Prices for new are changing constantly as well. I can get new for wholesale for ya, but on many parts I would recommend used as they are not inferior and are cheaper.
zx-niner
Either of those weekends sound okay for me. I will have a transmission to go through. Out of curiousity, what is the timing on the workshop? Is it a one-day thing either Saturday or Sunday? Friday night and Saturday? Two-days, both Saturday and Sunday?
Dr Evil
Sat all day and Sun all day. I have never had anyone left behind smile.gif
Dr Evil
First post updated to reflect venue and dates! This is gonna happen. The place is OUTSTANDING! More later after I talk to the proprietor.
tradisrad
I will be rebuilding a trans in the future, but $300 seems a little steep. I guess the question I have is will the clinic have more benefits than the CD I purchased?
underthetire
I'm sure the G/F would love to have you over. dry.gif
My backyard.
http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/un...nt=pby_0001.mp4

I'm on the lake portion though, electric boats only. I'll check on those dates tonight!
Andyrew
Mike,

What is typical cost on parts that need replacing?

Im not sure if I want to fork the cost to rebuild my box... Im changing trani's sometime this year and dont think I would get it back...

I DO know that I will be attending the clinic! 45 mins from my house? Hell ya. I may even have my car done by then. (Why do events always have to be in hot weather? Arg..)
underthetire
Early June shouldn't be too hot. Probably upper 80's. DB usually gets a nice delta breeze. July and august can cause your ear wax to melt...
toon1
I don't have a trans to rebuild but would like to sit in and watch and listen.

Would this be ok?
Jeffs9146
I'm in!!! shades.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jan 31 2011, 12:03 PM) *

I will be rebuilding a trans in the future, but $300 seems a little steep. I guess the question I have is will the clinic have more benefits than the CD I purchased?

Well, it depends on your perspective. At the clinic you finish with a rebuilt transmission that you did. The parts you need are there for you. I am there to answer all questions and clarify anything that may not be clear. The DVD is great, but would you rather learn via DVD or hands on with your box being done at the end of the weekend? I have done several of these and have nothing but accolades from attendees.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 31 2011, 12:04 PM) *

My backyard.

I'm on the lake portion though, electric boats only. I'll check on those dates tonight!

Jeff (underthetire), it is not at your house wink.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 31 2011, 12:15 PM) *

Mike,

What is typical cost on parts that need replacing?

Im not sure if I want to fork the cost to rebuild my box... Im changing trani's sometime this year and dont think I would get it back...

I DO know that I will be attending the clinic! 45 mins from my house? Hell ya. I may even have my car done by then. (Why do events always have to be in hot weather? Arg..)

Typical parts are as listed previously. Typical cost is about $600-650 with the max no more than $1000 if you had to buy EVERYTHING used from me as I can cap the price and still provide the parts. Again, not looking to fleece anyone.

The big part is 1st gear slider. It lists for about $500 on its own. I have a few good used for much less. I can get new ones for whole sale, not sure what the price is currently, but I can call.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jan 31 2011, 12:56 PM) *

I don't have a trans to rebuild but would like to sit in and watch and listen.

Would this be ok?

Yes, of course. See first post. All on lookers are welcome and free! People only need pay if they are rebuilding a box.
underthetire
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 31 2011, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 31 2011, 12:04 PM) *

My backyard.

Jeff (underthetire), it is not at your house wink.gif

Thats a good thing, my garage is tiny. I'm one block from the other jeff.
r_towle
There is really a place called Disco Bay?

Do they have a big mirrored ball in the town square?

Rich
underthetire
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 31 2011, 02:38 PM) *

Rich

http://www.townofdiscoverybay.org/content/...t-discovery-bay

And no to the Disco ball biggrin.gif
Although at ski beach it's not uncommon to see one on a boat with topless women dancing. We pull anchor and leave by 3 so as not to expose the kids to it...
Jeffs9146
For those who are on the fence, here is the back yard photo again!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 31 2011, 04:04 PM) *
For those who are on the fence

Can i jump over that fence? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 30 2011, 03:00 PM) *
Cost is $300 per person, unlimited transmissions.

Dear Evil One,
how about 915 transmissions?
I have one that is in need of a limited slip. Is that something that would fit within the framework of you transmission clinic?

Sincerely,
a secret admirer of your handiwork.
grouphug.gif
Dr Evil
Andy, for you only, bring it and we can monkey with it. I promise nothing, but bring dyechem. At worst, you will need to have to have it readjusted.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 31 2011, 05:02 PM) *
Andy, for you only, bring it and we can monkey with it. I promise nothing, but bring dyechem. At worst, you will need to have to have it readjusted.

cheer.gif

How much do you charge for your monkey-ing? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Andy, I'll PM you.

For the others, it is happening so it is time to get your funds in order. Parts are first come first served and the good used 1st gear sliders are the 1st to dry up. Already have one sold to the first participant smile.gif I do refund purchase prices on parts not needed. I will guide you and generally it is only one part that may need refunding.
JStroud
Typical parts are as listed previously. Typical cost is about $600-650 with the max no more than $1000 if you had to buy EVERYTHING used from me as I can cap the price and still provide the parts. Again, not looking to fleece anyone.

Is this cost (600-650) the total including the 300 or is that the total of just parts.
i'm in, I need to know where when and how much to send you, I would be buying used parts from you.

Thanks, another Jeff
Dr Evil
I recalculated the parts cost and $740 is the top normal if you need a bearing and score a good used first. If you buy a new 1st slider it will cost more, of course. The $740 price is for the following (all used except the seal kit):

2 dog teeth
2 bands
1 pinion bearing
1 1st slider
Seal kit
Tuition

If you do not need the bearing then it is $650. Not bad, eh? If you have to buy a new 1st slider I work with you to keep prices down on what I have control over. I have a few good sliders for sale, only sold one for this clinic about an hour ago.
Dr Evil
first post edited with more info on what goodies are included.
computers4kids
Worth every penny...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LobBZn0m8x4

zx-niner
I'm in. Do you want PayPal for the tuition? I'd rather do it now and get it out of the way. Plus it makes it more difficult for other plans to intercede! If we can pay now, is there a PayPal account?

And is it best to estimate parts costs and pay now to get your lowest prices, refundable if not needed.
cobra94563
I would like to watch, but if I can source a trans and H gearset by that time, I'd like to rebuild.
Dr Evil
Paypal charges too much in fees. Personal checks are fine, or MO. The $740 is best price until the parts are gone, then it becomes what ever I can get new replacements for, or if I can source more good used. For payment info, PM me and I will get you on the list and assemble a parts package. Yes, I do refund parts prices if not needed.

In the past, I have had people pull their gear stacks (those that had them out to do so) and take pics so I could tell them what they needed. Instructions for pulling the stack are in my rebuild link in my sig.
Mike Bellis
I think I will come watch. My tranny doesn't need rebuilding. I just need to swap my nose cone. I do have a core tranny to donate (minus nose cone) output hubs are missing.

Dr. Evil, did you get your flight taken care of? PM me if there is a problem with the "miles guy", I can get you here on Southwest for 0$
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 31 2011, 02:38 PM) *

Rich

And everyone dresses as if they're in "Saturday Night Fever" ......................
Lennies914
Disco theme, huh idea.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Feb 1 2011, 06:34 PM) *

Disco theme, huh idea.gif

Oh no blink.gif
Dr Evil
I do like me some disco!
Jeffs9146
Please NO disco!! piratenanner.gif
Dr Evil
I do have a goldenrod leisure suit smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.