Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosser 914 Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
rnellums
QUOTE(porsche_dreamer @ Jul 7 2011, 07:19 PM) *

Seems like there are alot of teener's in Indiana, although im teener-less at the moment. Im sure one will pop up for ya. One just sold on ebay for 500 in leopold indiana.

Yeah, I actually was very close to buying that one, but told myself "I dont need TWO!" oops....
brant
oh crap
I'm so sorry

hold your ground with his insurance
they will offer you a fraction of what its worth... but you are not at fault, they are. Hold your ground to get enough back that you don't go underwater

hey I know of a great yellow car for sale

brant
rnellums
QUOTE(John @ Jul 7 2011, 09:38 PM) *

Crap!

What bad luck. Hope you are OK.

So are you in Indiana now?

Sure am, yesterday was my third day driving that car in Lafayette. I also got bad hail damage the first day my Subaru was here. I'm beginning to think Indiana doesn't like me.
rnellums
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 8 2011, 04:29 AM) *

oh crap
I'm so sorry

hold your ground with his insurance
they will offer you a fraction of what its worth... but you are not at fault, they are. Hold your ground to get enough back that you don't go underwater

hey I know of a great yellow car for sale

brant

Well what should I be expecting from the Insurance company, realistically what was mine worth? I was thinking in the 7000 range, but i am not exactly objective. And how hard is it to ship the yellow car? smile.gif
brant
I think you could use the "excellence magazine" reports and also sales of highly restored cars to ask for much more than 7,000k

how much do you think you had into it over the full restoration.... I was thinking closer to 11,000

what do all of the people reading along think Ross should ask for as replacement value?

rick 918-S
Please do your homework before you meet with the appraiser. Get the Excellence article, Research out some comp's print them and hand them to the appraiser when he arrives. As I have stated in the past I have met very few appraisers that are car guys and have a clue about old car values. It's far easier to state your position up front that try to get the appraiser to change a value after he has found low value cars that are not similar to yours. Most of all be nice and remember, you don't ahve to accept the first offer and you have a right to salvage.

BTW: I'm like 600 miles from Lafayette and I have a Celette.
SGB
I feel sick for ya. sad.gif

Your car was awesome. You have documentation right here of your time and parts expenses. That car was very much an $11K 914. Excellence placed value of a 2.0 in truely excellent shape at close to $15K at least a year ago.

Just think about all you know now for selecting the next one...
rnellums
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 8 2011, 04:56 AM) *

Please do your homework before you meet with the appraiser. Get the Excellence article, Research out some comp's print them and hand them to the appraiser when he arrives. As I have stated in the past I have met very few appraisers that are car gays and have a clue about old car values. It's far easier to state your position up front that try to get the appraiser to change a value after he has found low value cars that are not similar to yours. Most of all be nice and remember, you don't ahve to accept the first offer and you have a right to salvage.

Car gays huh? Does anyone know what issue of excellence has the most recent publication? I know N.A.D.A. states about 12500 for one in my condition. I was planning to salvage after I get the insurance money because there are at least 3000 in usable parts on it, not including the freshly rebuilt heads. Rick, would you try and rebuild on this chassis using the celette if you were in my shoes?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 8 2011, 08:41 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 8 2011, 04:56 AM) *

Please do your homework before you meet with the appraiser. Get the Excellence article, Research out some comp's print them and hand them to the appraiser when he arrives. As I have stated in the past I have met very few appraisers that are car gays and have a clue about old car values. It's far easier to state your position up front that try to get the appraiser to change a value after he has found low value cars that are not similar to yours. Most of all be nice and remember, you don't ahve to accept the first offer and you have a right to salvage.

Car gays huh? Does anyone know what issue of excellence has the most recent publication? I know N.A.D.A. states about 12500 for one in my condition. I was planning to salvage after I get the insurance money because there are at least 3000 in usable parts on it, not including the freshly rebuilt heads. Rick, would you try and rebuild on this chassis using the celette if you were in my shoes?

Ooops.... blush.gif speed typing. confused24.gif biggrin.gif I ment no offense to our gay members. aaron.gif

If your hell hole is solid, I would build that chassis. You will need a 3/4 front clip and either a repair to the quarter panel or a replacement. If you have issues with structural rust I would shop for a roller. If you need the car as a DD you may want to shop for a driver.

Oh, and if you don't want the salvage I'm sure someone on this site will should the car total. Please let us know what amount is set on salvage by the appraiser before you let the insurance company take it.
RFoulds
Sorry to read about your car. Another good reason for an agreed value collector car policy.
porsche_dreamer
Excellence November 2010 is the last issue I see with 914 pricing. I think your gonna come out ok in the end. Low is 10,400- high is 16,600.
jcambo7
What an a**hole! ar15.gif I would be so angry. I hope that you get another 914 soon. Glad you are ok. drunk.gif
SUNAB914
Once settlement is reached, buy your car back from insurance company then use as parts. Probably sell it back to you for $500.00.
sorry about your nice car.
JRust
Damn dude that sucks! sad.gif Yeah get the values & have them ready for the appraiser when you meet. There are plenty of 914 sales that will support a good payoff from the insurance company. Definately buy it back too! Car is way to nice to let go. Looks like there is plenty salvadgable as you mentioned. Even if you went with another tub. You will be money ahead buying that one back. Good luck smile.gif
7TPorsh
Glad you're ok...looks like two cars hit it. Or did you get hit in front and spin around to take out the back too?
7TPorsh
Put all your images from your rebuild together so you have proof of the effort and what's involved in these old cars.
rnellums
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 8 2011, 09:41 AM) *

Put all your images from your rebuild together so you have proof of the effort and what's involved in these old cars.

just one car, but I did get spun enough to hit him twice. I have an appointment with the claims adjuster monday or tuesday so I've got all weekend to prepare. Thanks for all the suggestions! if anyone has pointers to cars that sold for good prices in comparable condition I sure would appreciate it. the local craigslist in indiana and albuquerque dont really have much to go on~

-Ross
jfort
there is a roller here in Findlay Ohio. Check with Tab Tanner at Autobahn Garage. 419-957-7210
rnellums
QUOTE(jfort @ Jul 8 2011, 11:03 AM) *

there is a roller here in Findlay Ohio. Check with Tab Tanner at Autobahn Garage. 419-957-7210

I just called! It seems pretty amazing! Can't wait to get pictures
tscrihfield
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 8 2011, 04:19 PM) *

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/2436870486.html

Hey man, Hate to hear. However, I seen this car a couple days ago and when I seen your post I tought of this car. This car looks great! I figured you would buy yours back and you could do a swap of the 5 lug and engine and other various things. Depending on what you get back from insurance it may be worth it! I know that Cincinnati isnt the closest but worth a look. Best of luck man and glad that you are okay!

Thomas
rnellums
I'm going to look at the one in Ohio this weekend, so I might call the Cincinnati one too. I have to focus on getting my stats in gear though!
-Ross
rnellums
Thomas, did you recall what the rust situation was on that Zambezi teener?

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jul 8 2011, 01:55 PM) *

Hey man, Hate to hear. However, I seen this car a couple days ago and when I seen your post I tought of this car. This car looks great! I figured you would buy yours back and you could do a swap of the 5 lug and engine and other various things. Depending on what you get back from insurance it may be worth it! I know that Cincinnati isnt the closest but worth a look. Best of luck man and glad that you are okay!

Thomas

rick 918-S
Does your car have a 911 front suspension or a re-drilled 4 bolt? Makes a difference in value.
rnellums
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 8 2011, 07:11 PM) *

Does your car have a 911 front suspension or a re-drilled 4 bolt? Makes a difference in value.

Re drilled, but it does have some Performance bits. Koni adjustables all arOund, 19mm master cyl, and elephant polybronze bushings on the rear. I can probably say the carbs were a performance mod too! smile.gif and a performance Bursch exhaust!
rnellums
Ok, I checked out the suggested 914 in Findlay, I am going to post some pictures immediately following this. There is good and bad. First I'll run through the bad, and then someone should chime in and let me know if the good makes up for it.

Bad:
-Expense, this is a car in pieces for 6500, which can buy a lot of car in a lot of places
-There are some rust issues, although not in the places I suspected.
-----two or three pinholes in the passenger long, not hell hole
-----3x3 hole under gas tank
-----holes at bottom corner of tail lights on both sides
-----small hole under the driver's headlight
-----rust scale on bottom of trunk and behind front bumper
-It's a 76' so it has holes for bumpers I don't want, and doesn't come with bumpers I do want.
-I'm not sure How wild I am about yellow
-It comes with two transmissions, both in unknown condition, one side shift, one tail shift
-it has holes for a hood badge and a rear reflector(not crazy about either)
-my 5 lug wheels wont fit it
-Front mounted oil cooler mounted with rivets to the trunk floor

And now the good:
-The paint seems REALLY nice
-----is 2001 boxter yellow, which should be fairly easy to match
-no evidence of rust in the hell hole
-no signs of rust in the floors near the firewall
-no rockers on car to cover up horrors
-2270 Raby big 4 (CLAIMED 160hp at wheels huh.gif seems too high)
-SS heat exchangers
-Accusump bladder (not sure exactly what this is, I heard it pressurizes the motor oil before it turns over)
-front and rear sways
-BMW front calipers
-turbo tie rods
-Front mounted oil cooler
-harnesses+harness bar
-ss brake lines
-19mm master
-LOTS of spare parts
--two transmissions
--two sets of seats
----one with yellow inserts, one stock
--AN ORIGINAL SARATOGA TOP!!!
--SS rocker panels
--Maybe an extra motor or two
--extra tops
--He will deliver to me at no extra charge

SO... will everyone please chime in and help me decide Deal or no Deal?

Thanks in advance!
-Ross

Trunk Floor Looks flawless except for a tiny bit of seam sealer missing in the corner
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Under the trunk starts me worrying
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Is anyone familiar with "Controlle" shocks? never heard of em myself
Click to view attachment
rnellums
The opposite corner of the trunk:, and then some images of the same spots on the outside of the car:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Repair to cracked suspension console:
Click to view attachment
Hell Hole
Click to view attachment
Rust hole under gas tank:
Click to view attachment
Front sways:
Click to view attachment
Previous repair to driver's front:
Click to view attachment
rnellums
And the rest of the pics.
Advice is GREATLY appreciated

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rnellums
And the mOney shot
Click to view attachment
rnellums
It also come with two sets of gas burners
Mike Bellis
Looks like a flip car. Someone was going to make quick cash painting and selling. Repairs not done correctly. The nice paint may not be applied well and it may start to show soon. The Saratoga top would be cool. There is a clean roller here in the SF Bay for $2k. Seen it on CL.
Mike Bellis
See if you can get them down closer to $4k
rnellums
I was thinking something similar, but he said he had it painted 5 years ago or so.
rnellums
how much is shipping from san fran to Indiana? anyone know?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 9 2011, 03:54 PM) *

how much is shipping from san fran to Indiana? anyone know?

$600 is my guess. Usually by weight on a transport truck. More if you want it enclosed.
mepstein
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 9 2011, 06:54 PM) *

I was thinking something similar, but he said he had it painted 5 years ago or so.

5 years ago is a quick flip for a teener.

Is it a Raby built engine or Raby kit. Makes a BIG difference.
rnellums
I was meaning more that paint flaws should be beginning to show. The guy who owns it also owns a Porsche shop and has been rebuilding engines for 30 years. He rebuilt it after buying it.
tomeric914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 9 2011, 08:59 PM) *

Depending on the skills of the builder.
mepstein
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jul 9 2011, 09:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 9 2011, 08:59 PM) *

Depending on the skills of the builder.

True but his kits are not just unassembled versions of his turnkey engines. But the kit is certainly tons better than a "who knows what they did" rebuild.
scotty b
IF and only IF the engine is a true Raby, and the builder can be found it would be worth the asking price IMHO. Given that, the car has issues which are worse then can be seen. If it is a Raby KIT someone did at home on their own, then I wouldn't go any higher than the stated 4k maybe even not over 3500, The engine is the make it break it point in my opinion. You could get most of your money back out of it alone if it's heritage can be determined. I am fairly certain Jake himself could help with that given some info.
Dave_Darling
Also, Brad Mayeur at 914 Limited in East Peoria IL (yeah, most of the way across IL from you) has a lot of resources, and knows 914s very very well.

--DD
tscrihfield
Ross,
As far as rust, the car is in great shape. When I spoke to the owner he said that there was not any on the car that he could see. I told him to check various places and he called back with good report he said that the hell hole area is bubbly but not bad so it may be promising. I meant to ask if the car was originally a westerner, but i forgot. If you'd like I will stop over there Monday or Wednesday to photograph! Let me know!

Thomas

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 8 2011, 06:47 PM) *

Thomas

Dr Evil
Dude, just FYI - if your gear box is messed up, send it to me and I wills straighten it out for you for no charge. You were at the clinic and there are goo parts in it so not an issue if you can source a core. smile.gif
rnellums
I called him yesterday and I'm afraid the green car has already sold. It did look really nice though!
-Ross

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jul 9 2011, 08:56 PM) *

Ross,
As far as rust, the car is in great shape. When I spoke to the owner he said that there was not any on the car that he could see. I told him to check various places and he called back with good report he said that the hell hole area is bubbly but not bad so it may be promising. I meant to ask if the car was originally a westerner, but i forgot. If you'd like I will stop over there Monday or Wednesday to photograph! Let me know!

Thomas

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 8 2011, 06:47 PM) *

Thomas

rnellums
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 9 2011, 09:12 PM) *

Dude, just FYI - if your gear box is messed up, send it to me and I wills straighten it out for you for no charge. You were at the clinic and there are goo parts in it so not an issue if you can source a core. smile.gif

Do you mean the one froom my black car? I'm thinking it should be fine, only the front got hit, and I was still able to shift after the accident(I backed it up out of traffic). But I really appreciate the offer!
rnellums
So I have been looking at some of the cars here in the midwest and I found one that might be a really nice find. Its a incredibly original 74 2.0L with 67000 original miles. it is a two owner car and had spent the last 20 years inside a garage, but has been started up and driven four times a year. it is factory painted a custom color-the owner says it is a 911 color, it is a very light metallic green. it has some surface scale in a few tiny sports. some of the undercoating on the bottom of the floor pan seems to be peeling off, but there doesn't seem to be structural rust. I looked VERY thoroughly. he is asking 8k for it.
Click to view attachment

he also has a black dealer-resprayed 1975 911s coupe in similar condition to the 914 (65000 miles) that he is asking 10 for.
Click to view attachment

Is the 914 a good deal?
is the 911 a better deal?
will I be ostracized from the 914 community for buying a 911?

Help please?

-Ross
Dave_Darling
Unless the 911 has a documented engine rebuild (with case savers and other good stuff) stay away from it. The original engines are known for breaking relatively easily, especially when fitted with the thermal reactors the 76-77 cars (maybe some 75s?) had.

--DD
rnellums
Definitely no engine rebuild. The car is all original equipment. The engine would likely need sorting out from sitting so long. What would be a fair price?
mepstein
Get a real PPI before you buy a 911. Then you'll know what you have to work with.
rnellums
PPI?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.