Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosser 914 Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
eric9144
Pre purchase inspection -- worth every penny!
rnellums
How do I get that? I think the fuel system should be gone through before it is started.
brant
1976 is kinda the worst year for a 911
those 2.7's can have pulled head studs easily
the 1976 year was one of the worst due to the heat created from the emissions system.

and sitting isn't too kind on them.
I think bruce anderson recommended a top end rebuild on those heads with the 1976 thermal reactors at an early mileage (was it a 60,000 recommendation?)
rnellums
That is the impression I am getting too. It is actually a 75', but it is the same engine. and it is seeming like even if it had just had the engine professionally rebuilt, 10 is still too high for it.
brant
a "professional" rebuild on a 911 motor can mean lots of different things... but can easily run 6-10K just for the motor
so certain years of cars are worth getting running as is, but may not be worth rebuilding.... (used transplants yes, rebuilding the stock motor not so much)

My belief is that this is why the hobbyist have taught themselves (well!) how to do rebuilds
mepstein
A professional rebuild should have professional paperwork. imho.
rnellums
This 911 certainly has the original engine, and it is in unknown condition. It ran when it was parked 20 years ago.
Scott S
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 18 2011, 05:37 AM) *

It ran when it was parked 20 years ago.

so did I...........
Ferg
If the 911 has pressure fed tensioners and a 11blade fan there is a good chance that it's had the updates.

But sitting that long and being CIS expect to spend 3k to get it driving again, BTDT.

p.s. I somehow missed that you got hit in the black car, WTF, sorry dude.
rnellums
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 18 2011, 07:42 AM) *

If the 911 has pressure fed tensioners and a 11blade fan there is a good chance that it's had the updates.

But sitting that long and being CIS expect to spend 3k to get it driving again, BTDT.

p.s. I somehow missed that you got hit in the black car, WTF, sorry dude.

Thanks Gint,
It has an 11 blade fan and was bought from a dealer in 1983. The owner doesnt know anything about tensioners or a previous engine rebuild. He says the engine does turn over and has good compression, but he didn't want to start it on account of all the old gas. I have heard that those injection systems go bad if they sit for too long.
This car would need to have
  • Fuel lines
  • injectors
  • remove+clean gas tank
  • perhaps a new fuel pump
  • new brake lines
  • possible caliper rebuilds
  • possible future engine work including new head studs and/ or upgraded tensioner

am I missing anything?
Ferg
I'm not Gint shades.gif laugh.gif

Add CIS fuel dizzy to the rebuild list. As well as fuel accumulator.

What color was it before black? Really at 10k and not running I would pass, but if the cosmetics are nice enough, it's worth the effort at a lower price.

Ferg
rnellums
Yikes! that's what I get for speedy typing while I'm at work!

It was originally orange, but the dealer painted it black. It is painted inside the trunk and door jambs, but is flaking a bit under the hood and the door jambs. the interior is immaculate and the body is pretty much flawless. I'm not sure of where to check for rust in particular like I am on 914's, but the floors seem clean. Everything is on the car, it is very complete, and the chrome trim is gorgeous.
Ferg
I'd likely low ball him, document what you think it's going to take to get it running, show him the $ estimates and see if he's of the real world. Cash talks...

I'd shoot for 6k.
KELTY360
Buy the 914. You'll be money ahead when you get your settlement and buy yours back for salvage.
eric9144
agree.gif

It's going to take less money to get the 914 together than the 911 by a big margin...with the way the prices are going these days and the fact that the 911 is a 75/76 I'd venture to say that not only is the 914 a better purchase now, but also a better investment in it's future value for the money you'll need to invest in it.
rnellums
I told him earlier today that I am definitely going to get his 914 piratenanner.gif , which I feel like is a good deal with the money, especially since the parts it might need-i.e. brake lines/master cylinder/clean gas tank can be cannibalized from my totaled teener. the question is whether or not to get the 911 too, or to buy another super sweet YELLOW teener!
I can't wait to get my hands on that original car though!

Ferg
If you pass on the 911, pm me his number sunglasses.gif
rnellums
I'm keeping his number as secret as I can until I pick up my 914! I dont want anyone stealing it from under my nose! biggrin.gif I'll probably try to pick it up this weekend. Pictures will follow.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 19 2011, 09:17 AM) *

I'm keeping his number as secret as I can until I pick up my 914! I dont want anyone stealing it from under my nose! biggrin.gif I'll probably try to pick it up this weekend. Pictures will follow.

congrats- good to see you found a nice replacement- Hope it all works out.

did you settle on $ with the insurance yet?

but certain"yellow teener" are we speaking "Zonker"?-- if so- do it!!!!!!!

pjw..
rnellums
I settled on monday. Insurance's first offer was just over 16. I took it.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 19 2011, 11:55 AM) *

That sounds pretty fair. Congratulations on a reasonable outcome. What was the buyback $$ on your car?
rnellums
buyback was 1700, which seemed a little steep, but still well worth buying it back
KELTY360
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 19 2011, 12:08 PM) *

buyback was 1700, which seemed a little steep, but still well worth buying it back

Given the size of the settlement, I don't think that was out of line.
Ferg
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 19 2011, 05:17 AM) *

Smart man shades.gif When you pick up the teener, shoot me some pics of the 911??

Is this the color of the teener? Ice green Metallic...

KELTY360
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 19 2011, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 19 2011, 05:17 AM) *

Smart man shades.gif When you pick up the teener, shoot me some pics of the 911??

Is this the color of the teener? Ice green Metallic...

That is a spectacular color. new_shocked.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 19 2011, 02:55 PM) *

piratenanner.gif pray.gif pray.gif aktion035.gif

thats great!!!! now go get that zonker( for racing) and the barn find!!!
rnellums
Thats the color exactly!!!! I had been looking for it! What is the Zonker going for these days?
rnellums
Scratch the last, I realized I had a search button! The Zonker is amazing!, but my 6'4" frame hardly fits in a stock car, nevermind racing seats and a cage! What a steal though!
Dr Evil
I am planning on buying the Zonker......in a few years when I am making real doctor money.....because it will still be for sale poke.gif
rnellums
Oh, and Ferg, the 911 coupe was no 100 built in 1975
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 19 2011, 05:35 PM) *

Scratch the last, I realized I had a search button! The Zonker is amazing!, but my 6'4" frame hardly fits in a stock car, nevermind racing seats and a cage! What a steal though!

I know what u r saying. At 6'2" im ok but barely. But I put in 911-993 seats.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 19 2011, 05:43 PM) *

I am planning on buying the Zonker......in a few years when I am making real doctor money.....because it will still be for sale poke.gif

If I didn't have a kid in college I would have bought it already.
Dr Evil
It is the IFs that keep it for sale wink.gif
rnellums
I picked her up today! She runs fine, but needs the have the controls cleaned, as they seem a little sticky. the throttle in particular is sticky at the intake. New brake lines will be put in today. biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
rnellums
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Click to view attachment
eric9144
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Wow! Absolutely beautiful! That color is amazing...have only seen it one other time and it was on a 356 Speedster.

It looks amazingly clean too...what did you do on the 911?

Congratulations, that car is sweet!
rnellums
Nothing on the 911 yet, I am going out to yosemite, CA next week for vacation, and since the 911 will have to be trailered, I didn't have an opportunity to make arrangements. if it is still available in three weeks I may buy it, but I will have my hands full with this car replacing all the old engine rubber.
KELTY360
That is a seriously cool and unusual combination. I'll bet the COA would be very interesting. Nice recovery from a nasty situation.

Have you been to Yosemite before? Amazing place. Be sure to enter the valley through the tunnel. If you come into the valley by way of Tuolumne Meadows, turn right when you get to the valley floor and climb back out of the valley, through the tunnel, then turn around and go back again, through the tunnel. The entry view is spectacular.
KELTY360
Body colored bumpers on that car would look amazing. JMHO
kconway
C'mon! Seriously nice car and color...makes me want a second stock looking non-flared car. That is a really nice car, congrats!
rnellums
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 23 2011, 11:39 AM) *

That is a seriously cool and unusual combination. I'll bet the COA would be very interesting. Nice recovery from a nasty situation.

Have you been to Yosemite before? Amazing place. Be sure to enter the valley through the tunnel. If you come into the valley by way of Tuolumne Meadows, turn right when you get to the valley floor and climb back out of the valley, through the tunnel, then turn around and go back again, through the tunnel. The entry view is spectacular.

Truth be told I have been there every year starting at 9 mo. but usually only to the meadows. the hike to the top of half dome is pretty spectacular though!
dlee6204
Spectacular looking car! I'm jealous wub.gif
porsche_dreamer
Looks awesome! Congrats.
rnellums
Thanks for the congratulations everyone! Now I just have to name it and start a new documentation thread for that car and say goodbye to this thread.
Gint
Looks like a nice ride Ross.

That 911 would just be a money pit.
abnrdo
wub.gif I like that car!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.