Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosser 914 Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
rnellums
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 23 2011, 11:58 AM) *

On site I discoved the tranny I brought was essentially useless as a core and had to buy a new core on the spot.

OMG... you fell for that? Oldest trick in his "house call" bag. He does that at every clinic. He uses the dough on cheap hookers. ohmy.gif

Looking good smilie_pokal.gif

I spend it on a tranny, and he spends it on hookers... coincidence?
rnellums
Here are some pictures of the interior and the speakers. The install looks REALLY REALLY good... I know. I did the backseat myself.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Some more of the orange bomber...
Click to view attachment

Now that the stereo is in the Pontiac I have to decide what to do with this... happy11.gif
Click to view attachment

And i finished the first coat of enamel on my trailing arms today. add one more day of paint and then a week to cure and I'll have my baby back on the road in no time.
Click to view attachment
Gint
QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 23 2011, 06:45 PM) *
Here are some pictures of my ROUGH 72' Pontiac. Its a solid driver, and fun to cruise in, especially in the summer. but its not much of a looker...
I like it. Beats not having one at all!
Dr Evil
Jeez, I am not even posted in this thread and I am having my name used in vain, vein, vane, vayne (?).

I had to swear off the cheap hookers since I am married so now it is booze and car parts biggrin.gif
rnellums
Gint, I need to give you that Dk Grn matchbox one of these days too. I wont be able to make it to cars and coffee in march due to a grad school visit at Purdue that weekend. I need to get it to ya sometime though... keep an eye out for a red lesney for me too ok? biggrin.gif
rnellums
Sorry Doc, I was only using that for the Pun. First gear is still really stiff, but is getting better? I'm hoping shimming the pivot will help with the clutch dragging.
Dr Evil
No offense taken you gingery bastard biggrin.gif
majkos
Gee whiz, Cuz (Eric) you're stirred up a hornet's nest!

I thought it was way too cool we had enough spare parts among everybody to replace damage items,there was swapping going on.

" This is what it's all about" beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Tranny, Hookers, Stiff, Drag...Swapping? Can we "please" get this thread back on topic? confused24.gif biggrin.gif

How bout them Cubs. Those trailing arms sure look nice! wink.gif
Dr Evil
I tried to party with Eric once. I had one beer, awoke in the morning with sore head and ass confused24.gif
rnellums
Here are some pictures of the sub box work to get this thread back on track.
Herer is the start of the sub box. Its going to house a 12" alpine sub powered by a modest 280 W kenwood amp. I'm going with a sealed design, but due to the desire to leave some footroom for the passenger I'm staying on the low side of the sealed volume. I know Morph makes some saweet sub boxes for the footwell, but this one was almost free!

The Box:
Click to view attachment
The Subwoofer Grate had a strange foot-sized hole right in the most vulnerable spot. Why???
Click to view attachment
Assembled Box:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rnellums
After the box was all assembled I sealed it with silicone, and screwed it together with 1 1/2 in drywall screws. After it I painted it, and carpeted it. No test fit with the actual box just yet, im in the middle of some other projects right now.

I J.B Welded some extra supports onto the grate for additional protection:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Painted:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Carpeted:
Click to view attachment
rnellums
I cut a hole in the capteing for the sub and installed it... Perfect fit!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Sub Box complete biggrin.gif Now I just need to install the amp and see how she do!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Gint
QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 23 2011, 06:55 PM) *
Gint, I need to give you that Dk Grn matchbox one of these days too. I wont be able to make it to cars and coffee in march due to a grad school visit at Purdue that weekend. I need to get it to ya sometime though... keep an eye out for a red lesney for me too ok? biggrin.gif
It was too freakin cold anyway!

I have a red Lesney on it's way with your name on it.
rnellums
I just got back from spring break in Mexico, so not much progress to report. However, in a Soriano's hipermercado(supermarket) I came across six 914 matchboxes! cars look the same but the box labeling is different and the back is in spanish of course. The top two rows in this picture are all Mexican Matchboxes!
Click to view attachment
rnellums
I've been working hard at school, but here is some progress. I finished pressing in the Elephant Racing bronze bushings into the control arm and bolted them back in. To try to preserve the allignment as much as possible I glued the lower bracket back into the same position it came out in, which should line the holes up well enough for me to limp in to get an allignment.
Click to view attachment
This is one of the friendly Colorado locals helping me out
Click to view attachment
Kev, I need some pictures of you in here too for all the help you have given me!

On the downside someone dropped a bike on my teener and broke the front turn signal and put a 1.5" scratch down to bare metal! Grrr!
Click to view attachment
rnellums
I Also finished installing the 12" sub, the enclosure is on the small side for a sub this bug, but it adds a lot to the sound quality when I'm driving. I mounted the amp in the front on the underside of the tire board. it sits comfortably inside the spare.
Click to view attachment

This is another side project I have been working on. It is essentially an enlarged longborad with manly wheels. its a blast to ride!
Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 5 2011, 04:18 PM) *

I Also finished installing the 12" sub, the enclosure is on the small side for a sub this bug, but it adds a lot to the sound quality when I'm driving. I mounted the amp in the front on the underside of the tire board. it sits comfortably inside the spare.
Click to view attachment

This is another side project I have been working on. It is essentially an enlarged longborad with manly wheels. its a blast to ride!
Click to view attachment

WOW, with such a Sub-box, you would be hard pressed to have any tall friend ride with you... You might have to date only short girls.

Great thread, beautiful CAR!
rnellums
Funny you should mention that, I'm actually allergic to tall gals, so its a non-issue. My girlfriend isnt a fan of losing the legroom, but is apprecuative of the extra BUMP from the sub.
As an aside, the box is easily removed if I do need to go on an extended road trip, and I didn't damage any of the carpeting or footrest equipment that normally goes back there.

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 5 2011, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 5 2011, 04:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

WOW, with such a Sub-box, you would be hard pressed to have any tall friend ride with you... You might have to date only short girls.

Great thread, beautiful CAR!

r_towle
You should take a look at the inner longs to see if that crack you found is also inside.
Look up near the front, right under the top of the windshield...where the long meets the floor.

Rich
rnellums
I double checked that after I found the original crack. Everything else is pretty sound. The crack was stemming from a pretty ragged rust hole. I had a hell of a time welding up that thin steel. My guess it that here was just enough of a stress concentration to start the crack and then the steel body was ductile enough to propagate it. The weld over patch I put on with plug welds will hold it for the present, but a thorough cancer treatment is surely in store in the future.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 5 2011, 02:32 PM) *

You should take a look at the inner longs to see if that crack you found is also inside.
Look up near the front, right under the top of the windshield...where the long meets the floor.

Rich

rnellums
I am getting ready to move out to Purdue for grad school, and was planning to take my 914 with me evilgrin.gif . I figured I could drive it straight shot to Indiana, or I could have some fun while I was at it. My current plan is to drive from Denver through the Teton's to Yellowstone. From there I will hit Mt. Rushmore, and the badlands before cruising through Wisconsin to Chicago and from there to Lafayette, some 2286 miles piratenanner.gif .

I've got just about everything running in tip top shape(Including the winsheid washer that I just fixed), so I figure I have about a 60% chance of making it without a breakdown if I stick to about 500 miles a day or less driving.gif . I'm planning on taking a full set of tools, along with a spare dizzy and fuses. Any other key teener bits I shouldnt be without? Have I lost my marbles???? confused24.gif
rnellums
Wrecked! guy ran a red light and slammed my passenger fender!
rnellums
more
rnellums
last one
scotty b
Damn sad.gif
abnrdo
Those pictures give me a sick feeling. Sorry man....that sucks.
Scott S
f_ _ k me. really???!! I cant beleive it! That simply sucks. Are you okay?
jonferns
Damn, hope you're OK! Sorry about your car sad.gif
Series9
How did I never meet you?

Some of those earlier pictures look like you live close to Tramway in ABQ.

I was building 914s in Rio Rancho from 2001 until 2008.

WTF?

Sorry about your car. You'll build another.
markb
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 7 2011, 04:21 PM) *

Damn sad.gif

agree.gif
eric9144
Terrible man! I cant imagine... barf.gif
rnellums
I'm fine, just sore. I Will rebuild! But most likely off a roller! I appreciate the support everyone.

Series9: I didn't join the site till 2009, and my car wasn't really driveable till 2007. That said, I would have loved to have met you!

Anyone know of good midwest rollers? Aww, who am I kidding! no one belives in those myths anymore smile.gif
Spoke
Hope you're ok.

Why the fuck does everyone seem to run into our 914's?

We've got to be less than 0.0001% of the cars on the road and everyone seems to get hit.

Damn that sucks. Your car is/was beautiful.

Time to gather those receipts and start adding them up. Your gain with the insurance co. will depend on your homework.

Get for sale ads with concourse, excellent, and normal 914s. Get current values. Good luck.
porsche_dreamer
Damn, sorry about that man. Glad your ok. I see you made it to Indiana.
siverson
Wow, that sucks - sorry to hear about it.

-Steve
rnellums
Porsche_dreamer: i did make it, even with gluing the engine back together in South Dakota, it was still running like a champ! 1200 miles after the repair it is still running strong. This ain't over till its over.
914itis
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 7 2011, 07:44 PM) *

I'm fine, just sore. I Will rebuild! But most likely off a roller! I appreciate the support everyone.

Series9: I didn't join the site till 2009, and my car wasn't really driveable till 2007. That said, I would have loved to have met you!

Anyone know of good midwest rollers? Aww, who am I kidding! no one belives in those myths anymore smile.gif

Sorry about your lost. I wish I was closer. I have one with hood, fender and q/p. Let me know if I van help with anything .
echocanyons
That is heartbreaking, after all that work.

Glad you are OK though
Eric_Shea
sad.gif
mudfoot76
Ow that hurts to look at --- shitty luck! Not that it is any consolation, but Indiana just passed some new 'driving while distracted' laws, so if that jackwad was texting while driving, causing him to run the red light, the State has avenues for extra punishment. We can only hope said jackwad spends some time in the pokey getting sheeplove.gif for wrecking a beautifully rebuilt teener.

I don't have any leads on rollers, but if you feel the need for a teener fix, I'm only about one hour south of Lafayette. Next time there is a car wrenching session at my house I'll let you know.
porsche_dreamer
Seems like there are alot of teener's in Indiana, although im teener-less at the moment. Im sure one will pop up for ya. One just sold on ebay for 500 in leopold indiana.
mojorisen914
Ross,
That fuching sucks man! Glad you're ok. Take the money from the insurance company and build another one.
Gint
Damn that thing's bent. That sucks.
Markl
What a drag, glad you're OK. Your car was a beauty, hope you can build another to match.
Cairo94507
Glad you are OK and I hope the asshat that hit you was insured. I hope you find a nice roller and rebuild.
KELTY360
barf.gif

Gotta rebuild man. After all the work you put into it you'll never get a 914 out of your blood now. Don't let his insurance company jerk you around. Good luck finding that roller.
John
Crap!

What bad luck. Hope you are OK.

So are you in Indiana now?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.