Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My motor is headed back to Series9
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Series9
The powder coating came back, so now we're really finished:
Series9
This will be the last entry until I arrive in PHX on the 24th.

Into the "shipping department" and then the real Porsche engine crate.

How's that for classy:

AZ914
piratenanner.gif
euro911
What? ... the motor weighs less than 110 lbs? confused24.gif
JmuRiz
Nope, just can't put more than 50kg on top of the engine crate.

BTW: What's up with that engine mount, haven't seen one like that.
Series9
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 11 2011, 04:28 PM) *

What? ... the motor weighs less than 110 lbs? confused24.gif

That's how much weight you can put on top of the crate. screwy.gif
euro911
headbang.gif Ok guys, I guess I really deserved that. I'll look a little closer at the arrows before sticking foot in mouth next time

laugh.gif
Series9
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 11 2011, 04:31 PM) *

Nope, just can't put more than 50kg on top of the engine crate.

BTW: What's up with that engine mount, haven't seen one like that.

It's one version of the often maligned 'Quick Six' style engine mount. There's no magic to it. It bolts to the /6 engine and bolts to the /4 mounts on the car.

Some people say that a firewall mount is the only real way to mount a /6.

I say that there is absolutely nothing fundamentally wrong with using the very substantial /4 mounting structures on the chassis to hold a /6. However, not all of these bars are created equally. You need to use your judgment.

The one on Wills' engine would carry a city bus. It's very heavy.
MoveQik
Its back home. Final reassembly starts tomorrow. rocking nana.gif

Kirmizi
Nice aktion035.gif
Mike
JRust
Killer Mike! Get that sucker in there
Cairo94507
How exciting is that! I look forward to seeing the install pictures and hearing it run. Nice trailer BTW.
MoveQik
This is as far as I have made it since getting the motor back. I had hoped to be further along by now but my weekend is wrapped up with clients. I get the fuel rails back from powder coating tomorrow so I hope to have the motor done by the end of the day Monday.

IPB Image
mepstein
I would sure appreciate if you could document the fuel injection rebuild. I can use all the help I can get for when I put mine back together.
jasons
I knew you could put that together. Who did you use for PC, Arizona PC?
MoveQik
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 21 2011, 12:57 PM) *

I knew you could put that together. Who did you use for PC, Arizona PC?

Yup. They did a real nice job.

It can breathe fresh air again....

MoveQik
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2011, 11:57 AM) *

I would sure appreciate if you could document the fuel injection rebuild. I can use all the help I can get for when I put mine back together.

What do you need and I'll try to get pics.
mepstein
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 21 2011, 08:39 PM) *

I took it apart and took pictures but I'm sure there is a preferred method of assembly. Any tips, trick or suggestions are appreciated. I'm sure there are suggested torque values. I also don't remember were the wires go on the alternator.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2011, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 21 2011, 08:39 PM) *

I took it apart and took pictures but I'm sure there is a preferred method of assembly. Any tips, trick or suggestions are appreciated. I'm sure there are suggested torque values. I also don't remember were the wires go on the alternator.

Wait? What? You're asking Wills for advice?? av-943.gif happy11.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 21 2011, 07:41 PM) *

Its a whole new world these days Ell-yut. You don't need quarters to make phone calls, you can't smoke on airplanes, sometimes women are in leadership roles...you better get used to it old man. bootyshake.gif
jeeperjohn56
Mike, What kind of air tube are you using for your intake? Is they a model number from K&N Did you have to modified it to fit in the engine bay? I'm using 3.2 also. John
MoveQik
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Aug 22 2011, 01:50 AM) *

Mike, What kind of air tube are you using for your intake? Is they a model number from K&N Did you have to modified it to fit in the engine bay? I'm using 3.2 also. John

Joe fabbed it up using an exhaust pipe from flaps, IIRC. There is no model number on the filter, but it is not K&N. It straps on with no modification. I am going to get a new one today, I'll send you the exact part number.
MoveQik
So the plastic bushing on the shifter fell apart a couple of years ago while on a road trip. Luckily the broken pieces stayed in the plastic cover. I had some JB Weld in the tool box and fixed it to get home without issue. That half-assed repair lasted until now. Patrick makes this little solution. No more plastic.

jeeperjohn56
Thanks Mike, I'll be looking for your information on the new air intake,Also the bushing your showing for your shifter rod, are you saying it's from Patrick MotorSports? that look's like a great fix. John
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 21 2011, 09:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 21 2011, 07:41 PM) *

Its a whole new world these days Ell-yut. You don't need quarters to make phone calls, you can't smoke on airplanes, sometimes women are in leadership roles...you better get used to it old man. bootyshake.gif

I think I got this from one of Tabor's emails...

The top rapper is white and the president is black. We can add... Wills is giving fuel injection how-to pictorials. WTF.gif blink.gif
MoveQik
Fuel rails, on.

Click to view attachment

Porsche technician at work.

Click to view attachment

Ready to go.

Click to view attachment
Series9
Currently cruising at FL340.

Be there soon.
Elliot Cannon
The engine looks great. Does this mean I have to give up my "best engine bay" award? lol-2.gif
StratPlayer
BAD ASS beerchug.gif first.gif first.gif
rick 918-S
Nice work. biggrin.gif
MoveQik
In. Done. beerchug.gif

Really happy with the way this came out. It drives great, sounds great and its purdy too. wub.gif In the end, the only hiccups were from things that I did while Joe had the motor. wacko.gif

Lessons learned here:

Thermostats - it is very easy to screw up the mating surfaces. headbang.gif

When powder coating, be more specific when telling the guys what to mask off.

Make sure your axle is ABOVE the header before you mount the header. headbang.gif

When disconnecting CV joints, be careful that they don't fall apart. That creates a lot more work. headbang.gif

Now, it is time to driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BMITCHELL
Good work guys, now go have some fun driving.gif
MDG
Nice guys - looks fantastic. Great work Joe! thumb3d.gif
Eric_Shea
One of my favorite cars.
ellisor3
Very nice, Joe does great work.
Cairo94507
Very very nice. I want to look in my engine compartment and see something like that one day. Congratulations.
JRust
Frickin beautiful Mike!
MoveQik
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 27 2011, 06:53 PM) *

Very very nice. I want to look in my engine compartment and see something like that one day. Congratulations.

Thanks! Well if you do....you have the added bonus of being a *real* six. smile.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 27 2011, 02:12 PM) *

One of my favorite cars.

Thanks E. Your name came up today....now don't let it go to your head. Talking about the different exhaust sounds and I put your ass dragger as my #1 favorite car regarding a killer exhaust note. I still remember when I "let" you pass me and hearing the note that your car has that sound that can not be duplicated. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Rod
I wish you were over here in the UK - I'd give you my ££ Tomorrow smile.gif
AZ914
I was up in PHX this weekend with Mike and Joe and Joe and I'm telling you, the pictures do not do it justice. It looks incredible.
Eric_Shea
I still remember when I "let" you pass me and hearing the note that your car has that sound that can not be duplicated.

That motor is out, in capable hands, getting twin plugged. Next time you hear it will be when you "let" my 914 pass you... biggrin.gif

It will be going through headers and a sport exhaust though (which you'll see from the back) and should sound a tad different. lol3.gif
Eric_Shea
Eric Lowe has it on YouTube I believe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSOOX_qZgY0&sns
Series9
QUOTE(Rod @ Aug 28 2011, 10:28 AM) *

I wish you were over here in the UK - I'd give you my ££ Tomorrow smile.gif

Fly me over. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.