Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: malaga_red75 Paint thread, by Andyrew
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
orange914
Thats not the H B spary gun hanging on the wall is it??? biggrin.gif

You're welcome to use a DeVebliss gun I have if you need/want. I hasn't been used for awhile but was cleaned thourouhly when put up.

Good luck spraying, Mike

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 12 2011, 01:30 PM) *

IPB Image

Andyrew
Mike,

Thats pretty funny!

Also I will take you up on that offer. I need to rule out my gun as the issue.

The bumper that I painted black had a few of the tiny holes, however they pretty much came out after wet sanding. However its not 100% perfect and I need to try and get it as good as I can.

Are you home now? I'll call you.
Andyrew
So we sprayed the headight covers yesterday and after leaving it to bake all day I wet sanded and polished one side of it.

Im going to be honest here, It looks fantastic. I am going to try one of the doors today and cut and buff it tomorrow and see what happens.

I have high hopes.

Also I dont think im going to use Mikes gun as its a bottom feeder and it has a 1.8 tip. I am low on materials and I need to make sure I can retain as much materials as possible. Mike I do have interest in the gun as a primer gun, Let me know if you want to sell it smile.gif
Andyrew
Finally got in touch with the body shop tech. This is what he said.

10 minutes flash time
25-28psi
Closer spray (He said he sprays 6" from the pannel)
And therefore he moves faster.

Oh boy. What fun... I swear everyone has their own technique.

I'll try a respray tonight as well with these tips and see what happens.

This sure is some temperamental paint...
scotty b
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 15 2011, 12:24 PM) *

Finally got in touch with the body shop tech. This is what he said.

I swear everyone has their own technique.

This sure is some temperamental paint...

Yes biggrin.gif Headlight lid looks great beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Forgot how much I hate polishing with a buffer... Arg. So tedious.

Door is wetsanded and polished. Could use another go around as it still had some orange peel. But there are none of the little pinholes we were worried about.

I am very happy with it and very confident going forward. I am going to wetsand the engine lid (the one that I sprayed and gave to the tech but never wetsanded) tomorrow and spray the other door. Pretty confident that both will turn out.
Andyrew
Other door is painted. 5 coats, It looks pretty good, less orange peal.

Differences:
1.Pressure raised to 23psi (For some reason thats all my regulator would give me).
2. Flash time reduced to 17 mins
3. Gun to pannel distance reduced to 6-9"
4. Speed increased slightly on spraying.

We are planning on spraying the body this weekend! (Again..)

We will either spray on Sat morn or Sun morn and spend the previous day prepping.
Andyrew
Body and hoods are sprayed!

It looks really good! Im going to respray one small area and I have already wetsanded 80% of the car!

We did a damn good job of taping up the garage, Im really proud of it! I hate to tear it down!!!!

I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

orange914
very nice, Andrew smilie_pokal.gif
Mike Bellis
wub.gif
scotty b
Sounds like your bigest issue was gun distance. Nice job beerchug.gif
Andyrew
I got 3 hours in last night. Finished up the wetsanding and started polishing.

Here is the front fender about 50% done. Also the reason why I like wetsanding much more then polishing.. I can listen to shit biggrin.gif Polishing is to loud to do that with...
Andyrew
Got another 3 hours in tonight.

Polished 75% of the rear fender although I still have a tad bit more wetsanding to do on it dry.gif

Also prepped and painted the fender (Decided to spray the whole thing vs just one area.. It didnt use much paint and I still got 3 coats on it). Also sprayed under the targa bar again as it was a bit light and sprayed the sides of the headlight lids.. For some reason I missed that area on them.
Andyrew
Peter took the car home today, It was a great experience with some ups and downs, but overall were both happy with it. In a couple of months when peter gets some scratches in it we'll buff it out again and touch up some area's.

I'll let the pictures do the talking smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Very Nice! wub.gif
barada
Yes turned out nice. Liking the green.

Phillip
malaga_red75
I am one VERY happy customer.

working with andrew has been a great experience. Like he said, we had our ups and downs, but we got everything worked out and the car is fantastic!!

look for the re-build on my build thread.

I got the car home at around 2PM and had the motor in and fired up at 9... along with a few other odds and ends back on the car.

Thanks again Andrew!

-Peter
AZ914
Looks great!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.