Full Version: 914R build thread revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
brant
Can't wait to hear about the school
It's addictive!
campbellcj
QUOTE(My 914 @ Oct 7 2016, 03:51 AM) *

I just found this thread and spent some time going through it. Congratulations on a great project. I love the 914R concept! Just out of curiosity, how easy/difficult is it to install the muffler so you can drive it on the street?

Thanks! Re. swapping mufflers, "it depends". With the setup I am using now, either open megaphones or an M&K 2in/2out, the hardware is pretty well exposed and accessible so it's just a few minute job but easy to bang knuckles and also you have to change out the gaskets every few times as they get trashed and then the header-muffler connection leaks. But I do find it worthwhile per my "butt dyno" removing the muffler for the track and it sounds killer. aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
Ask the shop if they can run a borescope under the fan shroud to look for anything the rats may have left behind. Nesting material, in particular, makes terrific insulation, and will keep your heads and cylinders toasty warm!

...Or is that "melty warm"?

--DD
campbellcj
I'm back and it was incredible. There was some car carnage including several dumped engines/trans and some contact during the weekend, unfortunately, but my weekend was clean and flawless. Here's a story I just wrote that POC may be publishing shortly in their blog or magazine:

---

My first Racer's Clinic experience was long overdue, as I'd had every intention of progressing thru the POC Cup Race licensing process a couple of years ago. After driving autocross, HPDE and TA/TT events for over 15 years, and having built an extensively-modified car with all the safety gear and durability required for racing, I was ready and itching to ratchet things up a notch or two. But, life happens, and I just kept missing not only the clinics but many other events as well. Finally earlier this summer, as I was fighting-off terrible withdrawals for some track action and feeling depressed every time I walked past my dormant race car, the stars aligned. Not only could I make it to a clinic weekend, it was at a new track I'd been wanting to try (Spring Mountain), and as an added bonus was being guest instructed by none other than renowned driver, author and coach Ross Bentley!

Later in a class segment, Ross would emphasize the importance of preparation on all levels - physical, mental, and gear - and I completely agree. Over the years, I have refined an event prep and packing checklist and of course compiled all the stuff to support what's on that list. Tasks like loading the trailer or swapping sets of wheels/tires are second nature for me, so no problems there. Still, any 3-4 day journey across state lines entails plenty of crucial details, from booking lodging to confirming that yes the trailer IS still at the storage place and intact, and checking/inflating no fewer than 18 tires. My car also needed minor servicing and brake pads - thanks to Marco and the crew at TLG I tried a new Pagid compound plus a new cooling duct setup.

Getting to the track entailed a nearly 7-hour tow out of LA where Waze fortuitously routed me through Death Valley at sunset. Spectacular, jaw-dropping scenery with nobody around for miles. Although I've lived in SoCal my whole life, I had actually never been to Death Valley so this was pretty cool, although isn't it a bit nerve-racking to have no cell signal for 100 miles? Ultimately I rolled-into my Parumph hotel plenty early to inhale some secondhand smoke from the oxygen-tank slot machine contingent, and ingest some of Parumph's finest buffet fare (according to the hotel's sign), before passing out.

Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. Wow. Dorothy, we aren't at Willow Springs anymore. How many tracks have hot water and showers, and were those granite countertops in the bathrooms? Air conditioning in the classroom that actually makes everybody cold? As for the track itself, we ran the Mansell D configuration which is 3.4 miles long, technical with like 19 turns depending how you count 'em and a total blast to drive. In my car with short gears I approached top speed in two sections but also used 2nd and 3rd heavily in the twisty bits. It's almost as if one connected Big Willow and Streets together into one giant Frankentrack. Thus it was a very good thing that my brake setup changes worked. It's a very nice facility and well-designed track I hope to visit again.

Ross Bentley brought a wealth of knowledge to our clinic lectures. He is an articulate and approachable guy, able to make his points clearly and keep the audience engaged without relying on slide decks or props. He really personalizes the material with his own real-world stories and sharing other people's. We had some great interactive dialog in each session, as Ross encouraged our questions and did not seem to mind what seemed like some extended tangents, as long as we reeled-in the schedule to make it to grid on time. I just bought one of Ross's recent books to delve deeper. Of course Dwain, Dave, Jim and other long-time POCers contributed massively as co-instructors with their own racing experiences plus their deep knowledge of POC rules and culture.

On track in our 4 sessions per day, we ran through a number of drills in succession, each targeting a building-block skill required to successfully finish a race. For example, first passing on a straight after corner exit, then passing within a corner, and next passing under braking into a corner. Passing on the left. Passing on the right. How race starts work. It was surprisingly fun running these drills, I thought, and was a great opportunity to get to know other drivers as we were working in pairs or teams for most of this. My main partner was Steve Town and we hit it off well, running comparable lap times despite our wildly different cars and rapidly developing that vital on-track trust and rapport. Traffic was challenging at times, as our class I'm sure had drivers of varying skill levels, but also there were a handful of cars significantly faster than the plentiful spec Boxsters and Caymans. As Ross and Dwain would continuously remind us...that's racing! We all got plenty of valuable chances to practice passing and being passed, for sure. Saturday night many of us convened at the lakeside BBQ up the road, which I also really enjoyed as I got to catch up with people I hadn't seen in ages, like Will Marcy, and meet a number of others including Ron Palmer.

The clinic culminated Sunday afternoon with a brief final lecture which was mainly a pep talk and final safe-and-sane adult behavior warning, and then we were sent off to run a 25-minute mixed-class practice race. No points or trophies were at stake here, but it was set up exactly the same as a real race. I was gridded 5th and ready to go out a solid 10 minutes before we'd go hot. Raindrops. Wait, aren't we in the desert during a historic drought? Yep, we are. More raindrops. Now, my car has hard old slicks, no windshield wipers, and I had previously driven it in the rain a total of maybe 4 minutes. More raindrops. Luckily for us, the rain tapered-off without depositing significant water on track and the cloudy sky meant no afternoon sun blasting our eyes. The race itself went well as far as I could tell, but I'm sure our starting formation was not as neat-and-tidy as ideal, and a Boxster dumped its engine along the way. Some yellow and black flags were thrown and I think these were a mix of real issues and tests for us. What I can say for sure is there were huge smiles and high-fives everywhere when we pulled into impound, each graduate having had his or her driver's log book signed-off by Dwain and having made memories and racing buddies that will last a lifetime!

The tow home was without question the roughest part of the weekend in my case: 6 1/2 hours through nighttime desert thunderstorms with some wind gusts mixed in. Oh joy! But I was on cloud nine the whole way and actually not too exhausted or anxious, as the preparation, focus and car control we cultivate during every POC event helps bring us home safely on the highway too. Now I can't wait for my next Racer's Clinic (two are required to be eligible for a race license). After so many years of chasing lap times and getting trophies for beating someone who might not even have been on track at the same time or even realize who I am, I have realized how profoundly different and more exhilarating it is to power-down at that thunderous rolling start, side-by-side, and race your fellow club members and friends to the finish line.

IPB Image914R by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
Cracker
Fantastic read Chris...I've got to pick it again a little later - work beckons. Congratulations on finally taking and making this step happen. All the best.

PS: I am very impressed the lengths they go to make the experience authentic - dropping an engine on the course during your practive race is very thorough indeed! blink.gif rolleyes.gif

Tony
falcor75
What a great read, thank you and congrats! smile.gif
campbellcj
Here's some video. Mixed-class 20-minute practice race at the end of a Racer's Clinic (licensing school). Not terribly interesting as I was tip-toeing on bald old slicks in damp conditions, and the field was pretty small for this enormous 3.4 mile track. Basically the higher-powered aero cars ran away at the start, and I ran away from the pack of Boxsters, then just ran several clean laps without traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU_eRPYaOjA

914_teener
Nice read Chris. Congrats

Looks like the car was breaking loose out of some of the corners....great driving.
brant
Awesome Chris!
Maltese Falcon
She's running clean and strong driving.gif Chris...love it !
Chris,
A Big Congrats to you in ascending and being signed off by Dwain of Vision.

As I have mentioned, your-6 is one bad a-- of a ride.
Since your local to the SoCal, your - 6 is in the league of the late Topper Chasse's-6. Topper had 30k of total track miles on his -6. He used to run circles around others in POC.
Then, he had a bunch of spares- like 6 or more trans for all of the tracks that POC ran.

The other car that comes to mind is Roger Sheridan's -6.

Your one of those -6 owners who talk the talk and walk the walk vs simply crusing around in it.

Ps, you've come a long way since our paths cross at a Willow Springs Steets event 15 years ago.

Congrats pray.gif
campbellcj
IPB ImagePOC Racers Clinc at Spring Mountain by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

IPB Image914R at Spring Mountain by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

IPB Image914R at Spring Mountain by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

Thanks Cali Photography for some great shots! aktion035.gif
914forme
And why hasn't this car ever made it to be a COTM winner, beyond me confused24.gif Looks like your having a good time out there, the car in its natural elements is blink.gif wub.gif
Cracker
Sigh. You don't want the honest answer to that question...

Tony

quote name='914forme' date='Nov 4 2016, 09:36 AM' post='2419415']
And why hasn't this car ever made it to be a COTM winner, beyond me confused24.gif Looks like your having a good time out there, the car in its natural elements is blink.gif wub.gif
[/quote]
JmuRiz
Probably because only oldtimers remember when he got the car and have watched the transformation to it's current, well sorted, state.
[quote name='Cracker' date='Nov 4 2016, 07:01 AM' post='2419427']
Sigh. You don't want the honest answer to that question...

Tony

Like minds think alike..+1 to your response above. biggrin.gif
Cracker
Regarding the pics - they look great Chris!

T
campbellcj
The VARA school is this weekend and still a go - it may rain which will suck but not stop me unless it's horrendously miserable or dangerous.

The only prep remaining is to pick-up the new tires (not using for this event, but I like having spares) and fixing some lights on my trailer.

This past weekend I knocked-out a few things:

- Cleaned and inspected the car all around
- Did a "10 foot" rattle-can touch-up of some old tire failure damage on the left rear fender
- Finally figured-out (I think) a better way to quiet-down the custom targa roof skin, which has always squeaked and rattled
- Ordered some new Hoosier slicks (!!!! and $$$$)
- Test drove around the neighborhood with open pipes
campbellcj
I have some updates, not all good. First though, somebody was looking for roof mounting ideas on another thread so I figured I would cross-post these.

Here is my "shadetree engineering". It has held up quite a few years now. You can see my attempts at noise/vibration control.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Well, the VARA University weekend was mostly a bust. Not a total loss, but frustrating and really not fun at all. I did meet a few nice folks though.

I got a new set of slicks to have as spares. cheer.gif I figured I would probably heat-cycle them Sunday afternoon and use my old DOT Hoosiers for all the sessions.

Click to view attachment

The first signs of a bumpy weekend were that Buttonwillow is a 2.5 hour tow for me. It's normally a pretty easy boring drive, but for the Grapevine which this time was completely blanketed in fog. I couldn't see a thing for over an hour. Made it before 7 though.

Click to view attachment

It was cold. Yes, only California cold, but super damp air and Buttonwillow was just mud and water everywhere. My car then would not start. This has never happened to me that I remember. Of course I have jumpers and it fired right up but I may need a battery again.

I can say the VARA approach is very different compared to POC. The racer's group I was in was far more laid-back, less structured and informative in class and track exercises, and way slower on track. I never got up to speed or really had any fun.

Then, a big AN16 fitting on the engine oil cooler started leaking. I'm 98% sure the seal has failed, and it got worse and worse. No way could I fix this track-side, as even though I had the wrench it was impossible to get enough clearance/leverage. Not to mention I did not have that spare fitting. (I do actually carry some AN parts and tools.) Or an oil drain pan or much oil etc...

Got called into black flag twice and by the time of the after lunch session, I deemed the car undrivable as it was smoking too badly off the header and I cannot risk a total oil loss.
Click to view attachment

VARA signed me off for 1 day of the license school and I'll take care of the rest on some regular race weekend Friday afternoon.
campbellcj
The car started accumulating a nasty slime of oil and smells horrendous... will be all mended up shortly though. aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

campbellcj
So, the latest chapter which started last Sunday when I unexpectedly came come from VARA early, is I am going to give-up any pretenses of keeping the thing streetable. For now, at least. I will keep all the parts to put it back to some sort of "road rallly spec" later if desired.

I have already removed the front lights/brackets/motors, turn signals, horns, and re-routed the wiring harness out of the way after pulling the fuses and terminating all the ends as applicable. That's a lot of weight already. I do want to basically re-wire the whole car at some point but have events to get thru, so I have to phase things.

Click to view attachment

I'm looking at brake cooling inlet options now. Hooking the ducts to the front spoiler totally sucks for me as the spoiler has to come off for trailering. I want to permanently get the ducts mounted on the car somehow; or, maybe a quick-release duct connector.
falcor75
Make ducs that use the indicator holes as intakes, in that duct you install a small forward facing orange led to use as indicator on the track.

Then might be able to have the hoses permanently installed in the wheel housings and for street use you just swap out the ducts for the stock indicators.

Click to view attachment
Cracker
Sorry to hear about your weekend...I could tell you similar stories (but this is your sobbing time, not mine)! Hang in there...

PS: It is very difficult to build a 40+ year old race car that will be bulit proof reliable...even more so if it is also doing duty on the street. Good luck.

Tony
campbellcj
As as I have often said..."these things are pretty darn reliable, once you've replaced every single part".

Part of what is going on here, I'm pretty sure, is that the bits from earlier in the "build" (2002-04) and initial -6 conversion are coming up on 15 years old now! And that's almost all track usage. So I can foresee more of those AN fittings, bearings and so forth starting to go out. Obviously many bits are newer and hunky-dorey.
Maltese Falcon
BTW that fog on the 99 /5 Hwys caused a huge pile up and major injuries sad.gif Lucky to hear you missed all that. Here's a better view of 914R !Click to view attachment
brant
Chris.
Are to our boiling your brakes?
Get some temperature paint
I removed all of my cooling once I found out my temps. And went two steps softer in pads trying to build more temperature

jmz
my brakes are ducted through the fog lights. nicely done by one of the previous owners. I'll take some pics for you. I'm not sure if it will help or not but I can get some pics next week while the car is up on a lift if you like.
campbellcj
QUOTE(jmz @ Jan 27 2017, 08:47 PM) *

my brakes are ducted through the fog lights. nicely done by one of the previous owners. I'll take some pics for you. I'm not sure if it will help or not but I can get some pics next week while the car is up on a lift if you like.

I would love to see that - still undecided on what I might change. Definitely the constant disconnecting/reconnecting with my current lashup is getting old fast.

Brant - "It depends" - I most severely had brake overheating at Laguna before I finished the duct install. Normal home tracks in SoCal here, like WSIR, are not nearly as hard on brakes. Since I hooked-up the ducts, no probs with under/overheating, but obviously I am trying to go faster and brake later, plus I switched to slicks, so there are those factors in play too.

Using a new-ish Pagid compound in front now, which I like a lot but I don't have the name/# handy.

I just left the car with Marco at TLG for the leaks and a couple other minor-ish tweaks.
campbellcj
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates lately - I do have updates but have not been on the boards much. By the way I post stuff on Instagram as cjcam930

The engine oil cooler ended-up needing replacement, which TLG got done in time for me to make it to Willow Springs a few weekends ago. I have some video ready to upload.

I have also continued to lighten the car, which is now down to 1994lbs wet w/o driver, still with a full passenger seat+harness. I have now removed all remaining front lights, motors, and the windshield wipers as well. Other than the right seat, there's nothing more significant to remove at this point, other than actual sheet metal.

Unfortunately in that POC WSIR event the car ran GREAT but (a) I lost an exhaust megaphone at-speed - luckily did not hit anyone - and retrieved it later but it's thrashed; (b) my transponder power wiring had failed and in a double murphy's law, the POC loaner did not work right either. So I had no timing/scoring. © On top of all this, my truck broke just before as well with an unexpected >$1K bill.

THIS WEEKEND 3/11-12, 2017 I will be at Buttonwillow doing the POC Racers Clinic again, my final step towards W2W licensing. After this I have to take a few months off, so this had better be awesome!

IPB Image"914R" minus an exhaust megaphone by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
Cairo94507
Love that car! Best of luck. beerchug.gif
falcor75
Those hips.... wub.gif
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
campbellcj
I need to keep this update fairly short but suffice to say, my 2nd POC Racers Clinic which was at Buttonwillow last weekend was AWESOME aktion035.gif and I "graduated" as a new rookie Cup Racer. smilie_pokal.gif

What everyone says about W2W racing is true. There are very few times in your life you will ever feel more alive, alert, and challenged. Also I am finding the racer social/teamwork bonds and camaraderie very different than in the TT/TA/HPDE world where it seems so many folks stay to themselves and have no clue who's on track with them.

I will have some photos soon from CaliPhotography. Here's in-car video of our final 10-lap sprint race, which was super fun and there was no carnage AFAIK. But in the heat of the moment, I f*ed up (flat-spotted) my tires badly which caused a hellish vibration and loss of traction. Then in the final lap I went off in Star Mazda, one of the last turns! But amazingly the guy behind me who had been up my ass the whole time, had run out of gas! So I started and finished P6. P1 was a Cayman GT4 Clubsport and P2 was a Ferrari F430 Challenge Stradale; factory race cars with flappy paddles and aero... P3-P5 were winged 996/997 racecars with ABS. I am very pleased how well 914R did.

I plan to get a better camera system soon, promise, hopefully with data overlay and good sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buw0HxHuyVE
campbellcj
18 total entrants - by the way, P1 (Cayman GT4 Clubsport) was a female. Smokin fast!!!

Cairo94507
Congratulations! How cool to compete with those cars and do so well. smilie_pokal.gif
Cracker
Congratulations Chris...job well done! I see Boxsters are still rolling chicanes. Your car sounded like it was running very strong too! Hopefully, in non-licensing events, you will truly get close-quarters w2w action...

Is historic racing an option? Can run your car (legally) with the modifications you have made? That seems to provide the best w2w action I have ever seen for a teener - like 20 cars all within a few corners, bumper to bumper. Almost a nascar race - style.

Tony
campbellcj
QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 14 2017, 04:27 AM) *

Congratulations Chris...job well done! I see Boxsters are still rolling chicanes. Your car sounded like it was running very strong too! Hopefully, in non-licensing events, you will truly get close-quarters w2w action...

Is historic racing an option? Can run your car (legally) with the modifications you have made? That seems to provide the best w2w action I have ever seen for a teener - like 20 cars all within a few corners, bumper to bumper. Almost a nascar race - style.

Tony

Hi Tony - Yes I have also been cleared by VARA/SVRA but there I will be put in GTU class which is the unlimited closed-wheel cars. That'll be fun as it should be stuff like 280Z's, >2.0L early 911's, Mustangs...all sorts. However I will miss their WSIR event coming up in 2 weeks.

In POC it looks like I am moving into GT3 which means I'll be running back 1/3rd of the pack (if not DFL) in the Red Group. I'm able to take a bit more weight out and add aero if I want. To squeak into GT4 which usually runs in the Orange race (with the Boxsters), I'd have to add weight, cut power and/or revert to DOT tires which I think would spoil the character and concept of this car. Honestly I think I would rather be with the crazy-fast guys than the Boxsters...
brant
The crazy fast guys will make you faster.....
so glad you are wheel to wheel racing...
I knew you would like it

great car!
jeff
Awesome ! Love your car.
campbellcj
Here's another video from a practice session/race with more traffic and dicing. We started the session "Australian Pursuit" style meaning the slowest car was on pole, fastest in back, which is fun. So there is a lot of slower traffic in the first few mins, then we get moving pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qVoojSE954

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qVoojSE954
mgp4591
Once you got those pesky Boxsters outta the way, you could finally chase down the race cars! Nice driving! first.gif
My 914
Great video!
jmitro
nice driving; everybody was placing nice together.
914_teener
Nice driving Chris.

Thanks for posting. Its been quite the story watching the car change all these years now.

sb914
"Great" driving. You "clearly"out drove and out braked those pesky Ass draggers.
Fun to watch!
My 914
It's nice to see the 914 outrun and outmanouver that entire pack of cars!
Marv's3.6six
Great thread, great car, nice read. smilie_pokal.gif
campbellcj
Here's a nice photo from that weekend thanks to Cali Photography -

IPB Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/S7ey53]
914R rounding Cotton Corners at Buttonwillow[/url] by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.