Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914R build thread revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
RSR
Nice car, great driving. I dig your rear spoiler.
campbellcj
QUOTE(RSR @ May 11 2017, 07:19 PM) *

Nice car, great driving. I dig your rear spoiler.

Thank you so much! Rear spoiler is a Roger Sheridan piece.

I am out of action for a while due to a fairly major ankle surgery but will post more updates/pics/videos soon.
914_teener
Chris....

Your car should have been in the Luftenkult instead of the surfboard car.

Just sayin.

Good luck with the ankle healing. BTDT.

pete000
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 12 2017, 08:02 PM) *

Chris....

Just sayin.

agree.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 12 2017, 08:02 PM) *

Chris....

Just sayin.

I 2nd that ! Politics and vehicle choices/ placements at some of these venues just crack me up. Surfboard car also had a 914R badge on its tail idea.gif ...guess they will take credit for that little innovation as well av-943.gif

Chris brought his 914R to the Luftgekühlt3 show in 2016 and they told him to park a block away in an overflow lot. I don't get it. The surfboard car had some horrendous rear bumper gaps ; note to owner, hold that last body shop payment lol-2.gif
horizontally-opposed
Really fun video to watch—and nice driving!

There were times I was rooting for you, wanting to shout "You have that!! Your car and you are good enough to take that pass!" at the screen, but I remember my weekend with PRC years ago and my own reserve on track. Everyone played really well together in your vid, and some great dicing. Car also sounds GREAT.
914forme
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 12 2017, 12:17 PM) *

I am out of action for a while due to a fairly major ankle surgery but will post more updates/pics/videos soon.

Get that ankle fixed and get back to it. In the meantime, I will gladly come out and make sure your car does not get to many cobwebs in it. driving.gif

Still one of my favorite car builds on this site.
campbellcj
Hmm. I just realized I had not updated this in a very long time.

I had (another) major reconstructive surgery on my right ankle in late March. 2 1/2 hours of work under general anesthesia. I'll continue to have intermittent pain and limited range for life, but physically I feel ready to race and probably in the best shape since my 20's.

Unfortunately I don't have the budget or time right now to commit to a major racing season, but for sure I will squeak-in at least a few events next year. I may do Streets of Willow first, to get back into it, a track I know extremely well and this car is very well suited for.

Also I have been increasingly torn about keeping this car in full stripped race config, non streetable. It still has license plates on it now but nothing about it is 'legal'. We have these great canyon roads around here, plus the Luft, Rennsport, and cars and coffee type things where I would love to be able to bring this car and participate (driven not trailered). So I may put the lighting and horns back in, using the GT cable-lift kit I've been saving. To be significantly more streetable, I'd need to soften the suspension and retune the engine to tolerate a quieter muffler vs open pipes. I don't currently plan to do that, perhaps later.

Gratuitous pic from the other night -

IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 29 2017, 08:11 PM) *

Here's a nice photo from that weekend thanks to Cali Photography -

IPB Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/S7ey53]
914R rounding Cotton Corners at Buttonwillow[/url] by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

Car looks great, one of the best builds I've followed here!
mgp4591
It'd be great to see and hear your car at some events - I vote for making it "street legal"!! smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
How'd I miss that great video first time around? I don't know the first thing about racing but that won't keep me from asking this question. I noticed some of the other cars catch and pass you at some points yet you were clearly faster as shown in other parts of the video. Is that because of gearing differences or were you holding back? confused24.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 19 2017, 11:05 AM) *

Car looks great, one of the best builds I've followed here!

Thanks very much!

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 20 2017, 08:22 AM) *

It'd be great to see and hear your car at some events - I vote for making it "street legal"!! smilie_pokal.gif

It will happen sooner or later... tough call as I built this car to race, and in its current form it's more fun and faster than ever.
campbellcj
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 20 2017, 08:50 AM) *

How'd I miss that great video first time around? I don't know the first thing about racing but that won't keep me from asking this question. I noticed some of the other cars catch and pass you at some points yet you were clearly faster as shown in other parts of the video. Is that because of gearing differences or were you holding back? confused24.gif

Great observation and there are many, many variables! Definitely the driver's skill and chosen lines through key turns, level of focus or fatigue, all play-in heavily.

Once you cluster-up with other cars/drivers running comparable lap times, you will see a lot of cat-and-mouse like that. Often two drivers will be within a few hundredths/second lap times overall, and be bumper-to-bumper but unable to pass one another for some time, until a mistake is made or traffic forces an opening.

In this video the front cars had 2 key mechanical differences from my little 914: ABS brakes and real aerodynamics (splitters, wings, and flat bottoms.) PDK/paddle shifters as well in a couple cars.

The ABS lets them consistently and more easily go deep into corners under braking. (I ruined a $300 tire at one point that event by locking-up my non-ABS brakes.) The aero lets them fly through certain sections i.e., fast sweepers, where I have to "tip toe" around relying purely on mechanical grip and keeping momentum.
Krieger
I just watched that awesome video! Your car goes very nicely with you driving. This is very motivating to finish my motor and get it back on track. Live the dream!
campbellcj
It's been a really long time...the car has mostly been sitting, but I do at least try to take it out and putt around the neighborhood every 2-4 weeks.

I have been very budget and time constrained, and the car needs tires and possibly a trans freshening, but am determined to get to at least a couple of track events in the 2nd half of this year.

Some pics I don't think I posted before:

Some fresh Al Reed 15x8 Fuchs to go with my existing Braid 15x9's.

IPB Image

Getty GT repro lid w/ balsa wood.

IPB Image

Random driveway shot the other day.

IPB Image

raynekat
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 22 2018, 08:19 PM) *

Getty GT repro lid w/ balsa wood.

IPB Image

Would like to know what you think about the Getty lids....
Do they fit, are they light, really flimsy, etc.
Anything you can add is helpful.

I bought a set of the front/rear lids that I think are the same ones that Aase Sales carries.
They look great, but don't fit so great and really don't have the correct curves to match up with the body.
But I guess that's the way the Porsche Motorsport lids fit back in the day.
Underneath mine look killer like yours/the Getty lids.

Thanks
campbellcj
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 22 2018, 11:55 PM) *

Would like to know what you think about the Getty lids....
Do they fit, are they light, really flimsy, etc.
Anything you can add is helpful.

I bought a set of the front/rear lids that I think are the same ones that Aase Sales carries.
They look great, but don't fit so great and really don't have the correct curves to match up with the body.
But I guess that's the way the Porsche Motorsport lids fit back in the day.
Underneath mine look killer like yours/the Getty lids.

Thanks

The Getty f/g pieces I got (~2009) are extremely nice quality. TRE Motorsports installed them originally while doing a 2.2-2.7 engine swap for me. They said the lids just bolted right up, and gaps are pretty good. A while later Kundensport painted the car.

The main point is they are very thin and light - They do warp and flex at speed - but I have had zero issues from this. The main worry would be somebody sitting on it or putting something on top that would crack the paint or f/g or balsa.
RFoulds
Reading through this thread. Doing my first race car build.

yeahmag
Chris,

Come play with us. Old tires and a worn out box is fine.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/eve...50F825DDF1B0C49
campbellcj
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Mar 7 2019, 03:52 PM) *

Reading through this thread. Doing my first race car build.

I'll be glad to share any of my limited knowledge or pics; not nearly everything I and this car have been thru is documented here of course. Feel free to PM/DM.

For sure look over Brant's thread(s) and some of the other race builds here on World as they have also helped me greatly.
campbellcj
I'm making progress (slowly) on reconfiguring 914R to be more street-friendly / less cop-magnet.

When I started this a few weekends ago it was a PITA to get the car started, as I let it sit too long and it's been colder than usual out. #becausewebers

I had to pull the air filters off so snapped this.

IPB Image

Once running I installed a NOS Dansk 2-in/1-out sport muffler I got for around 1/2 price from a private party who'd changed his build plans (ever heard that before?)

IPB Image

So far I love the Dansk muffler -- it's tamer and more "Porsche-like" than the M&K 911R muffler, I think perfectly aggressive for sporty street use. It's heavy though.

I also installed a silver Momo Prototipo, also new, that I had in storage for years. I really like it - previously I'd used a 90's-era Personal/Nardi Fittipaldi wheel since buying the car.

IPB Image

Last weekend I finished stripping the race graphics and worked on the pedalboard area (painful). Have some new streetable tires on order now and thinking about seats, possibly GTS Classics.

Click to view attachment

The hood is sitting high and I'm not sure how to improve that. It's a super light Getty GT f/g lid with a replacement hood seal pushing it up too much. I need to check where I sourced the seal and determine if it's correct.

Mechanically it's running awesome. The trans needs work however - TBD - it has not been opened up since around 2004!!!
campbellcj
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 7 2019, 05:28 PM) *

Chris,

It could be really fun to do an autocross or something else different for a change - I am on motorsportreg but can't open that link (event) though - what/when's the event?

I do have good race tires on hand and trans probably would hold together...pending issue is my "street" tires are some sketchy rock hard Hoosiers...
yeahmag
Look for POC Autocross in Google. Maybe this link will work better.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/poc-au...-porsche-314922
campbellcj
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 7 2019, 06:13 PM) *

Look for POC Autocross in Google. Maybe this link will work better.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/poc-au...-porsche-314922

Got it, thanks! I had heard about that directly from POC - will see if I can make it!
yeahmag
Drop me a PM and I can fill you in on how it came to be.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 7 2019, 05:55 PM) *

Last weekend I finished stripping the race graphics and worked on the pedalboard area (painful). Have some new streetable tires on order now and thinking about seats, possibly GTS Classics.

Do you mind sharing how you mounted your race seats? I don’t recall seeing that in your build thread. I’m having trouble with headroom with the floor crossbar still installed and Recaro spgs...

Thanks!
raynekat
Which hood is high? The front or rear (or both)?

My Getty rear hood was high with the stock weatherstripping seal that sits between the engine bay and the rear trunk. I put a lower profile seal on that section and the rear hood fits like money. The larger rear main seal is stock and works fine with the Getty hood.

My Getty rear hood is on the money except towards the front where the headlight doors are. But if I had a GT look, I'd just put the 4 hood pins there and that would take care of that issue. The stock front hood seal definitely pushes up a bit and the fiberglass will flex on the edges unlike a steel hood.
Cracker
So Chris,

Are you curtailing the "track" side of the hobby for good or just for awhile? When you do start up later in the year are you still planning on racing or just track-days? Your car looks great...as usual! beerchug.gif

T
campbellcj
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 7 2019, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 7 2019, 05:55 PM) *

Do you mind sharing how you mounted your race seats? I don’t recall seeing that in your build thread. I’m having trouble with headroom with the floor crossbar still installed and Recaro spgs...

Thanks!

I'll plan to take some pics of that soon. I'm using side-mounts (Cobra) bolted to the floor thru some steel reinforcement pieces; fixed-position, no sliders in my setup. The cross-bar is cut. That's kinda controversial but it really gets you down lower and this car has a 10-point cage so the structural integrity loss is not a big worry. (That said the floors and rest of the car were extremely clean and solid rust-wise).
campbellcj
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 7 2019, 09:14 PM) *

Which hood is high? The front or rear (or both)?

My Getty rear hood was high with the stock weatherstripping seal that sits between the engine bay and the rear trunk. I put a lower profile seal on that section and the rear hood fits like money. The larger rear main seal is stock and works fine with the Getty hood.

My Getty rear hood is on the money except towards the front where the headlight doors are. But if I had a GT look, I'd just put the 4 hood pins there and that would take care of that issue. The stock front hood seal definitely pushes up a bit and the fiberglass will flex on the edges unlike a steel hood.

Thanks! Seems like a common issue with the f/g stuff - it's only the front that is off a bit. The rear is also Getty and is perfect. I'll fiddle with it at some point but it's down the priority list a ways.
campbellcj
QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 8 2019, 04:37 AM) *

So Chris,

Are you curtailing the "track" side of the hobby for good or just for awhile? When you do start up later in the year are you still planning on racing or just track-days? Your car looks great...as usual! beerchug.gif

T

For now I'm not planning to W2W race this car, at least this year/season, but for sure will get out to a few POC timetrial/timeattack events and maybe some other stuff, for some 'casual kicks'. 914R never would be be competitive in the current POC class system and I can't afford the time/money to run a full competitive season.

Unclear if it'd be competitive in VARA but certainly would be more in its own 'league' technology-wise. One thing that makes me real nervous about VARA is a friend was taken-out in only his 1st or 2nd race, by a rookie driver making a douchebag move, and virtually totaled his car (a 911). That sort of stuff is virtually unheard-of in POC.

Business and life need to take priority for the next couple of years. Frighteningly, our son Logan will be graduating HS next year so that college thing is looming big now. Also working on selling a family business which could permanently solve the spare time and money shortage if it plays out well...
Justinp71
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 7 2019, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 7 2019, 05:28 PM) *

Chris,

It could be really fun to do an autocross or something else different for a change - I am on motorsportreg but can't open that link (event) though - what/when's the event?

I do have good race tires on hand and trans probably would hold together...pending issue is my "street" tires are some sketchy rock hard Hoosiers...

If you're looking for some street/track tires I put on a set of the new BFG Rivals and I am impressed. Obviously not as aggressive as slicks, but I feel like they work great as a dual sport tire. Be careful with cold street weather though. Also they come in alot of fuch friendly sizes...

campbellcj
I'll come and back-fill info and pics on what I've been up to. Freshly stripped of racecar graphics and cleaned-up, plus some cool new tires - many battle scars tho

IPB Image

IPB Image
JmuRiz
Awesome, looks like it did back when it was a 4-lug biggrin.gif

Always loved following this car.
What is the finish on your wheels, they look great and will probably go that route when I refinish my all-black-center fuchs.
sixnotfour
wub.gif wub.gif driving.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 1 2019, 07:52 AM) *

Awesome, looks like it did back when it was a 4-lug biggrin.gif

Always loved following this car.
What is the finish on your wheels, they look great and will probably go that route when I refinish my all-black-center fuchs.

Thanks! smile.gif The wheels are 'RSR' finish 15x8 Fuchs which were redone by Al Reed years ago then put in storage. (I bought them already restored). Tires are Michelin TB5 225/50R15. For track I run 9's (Braid) in back with 245's but this square setup seems to look and perform awesomely for street use.
sb914
Are you going to take it to WCR ? wub.gif
gereed75
The flairs on this car are absolutely the best. Really mean looking in a subtle sort of way. Kinda sleeper.

Those are Tangerine flairs I assume??
mepstein
Great looking car but I liked the graphics.
campbellcj
QUOTE(sb914 @ May 1 2019, 09:06 AM) *

Are you going to take it to WCR ? wub.gif

I have not officially signed-up as I've got schedule conflicts but I will try my best to join some of the driving segments / gatherings.
campbellcj
QUOTE(gereed75 @ May 1 2019, 04:34 PM) *

The flairs on this car are absolutely the best. Really mean looking in a subtle sort of way. Kinda sleeper.

Those are Tangerine flairs I assume??

Yes; Tangerine -- I like them WAY better than GT flares and it's a sleeper look from the side perspective in particular, looks narrowbody but can fit 9's in back.
MM1
Just read this - exciting thread - thank you for sharing Chris!
campbellcj
@mm1 Thank you - wow I haven't updated this in a while (again). Unfortunately I don't have a ton of updates yet but I do finally have budget and time to make more progress this winter getting the car back into top shape for dual street/track use. Optimistic that business and health will allow me to get back out on the track shortly. For now I just make sure I drive it a little every other weekend so it's not sitting 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxf7Ejwxr6Q

IPB Image914R at Luft6 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

IPB Image914R Afternoon Drive by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

IPB Image914R by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
MM1
beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Love your car Chris. wub.gif
altitude411
shades.gif Love the look as well... if my car wasn't a six I would be adding those flairs to it. idea.gif
TRS63
Amazing car, really inspiring and really close to what I would like to achieve on mine!

Thanks for sharing

Antoine
infraredcalvin
Waiting to see that bad boy at a POC event, although I think I’m out for the season with engine trouble...
brant
Looking good !
blabla914
second up vote on the rivals. They seem to hold up pretty decent on the street too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.