Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attention MD-VA-PA-DE 914World members
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Dr Evil
Oh ya, the drums are electric so have volume control wink.gif
ws91420
The family and I are a definite and will bring some type of pasta salad. Also this is close to my Bday as well Aug 23.
okieflyr
Matt,

Leesa will be attending with me. We''ll probably bring a batch of Devil'ed (sp?)eggs. chowtime.gif
okieflyr
If anybody wants to caravan from the Philly corridor let me know. Any Jersey or NYC cars can be an easy meet up on the PA/ DE border.
scotty b
Matt I' ll probably be doing the usual if it's cool with you. I think Mike is as well beerchug.gif
ws91420
You mean this beer3.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 18 2011, 03:09 PM) *

Matt I' ll probably be doing the usual if it's cool with you. I think Mike is as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idHDB0KcNlI
VaccaRabite
Does anyone comming to the party have a plenum, fuel rails and air box they could bear to part with? I'm staring to collect parts to make my carbed 2056 microsquirt injected.
Zach
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 18 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Does anyone comming to the party have a plenum, fuel rails and air box they could bear to part with? I'm staring to collect parts to make my carbed 2056 microsquirt injected.
Zach

I doubt I am going to have time to make the trip Zach but I have 2 or 3 fuel injection set ups for a 2.0. Let me know what all you need and I will gladly hook you up if I have it.
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 18 2011, 06:52 PM) *

Zach

Why so much trouble with your carbs? I drove mine for 5 years without touching them. They were the Spanish made Webbers. Of course, I wasn't the one who set them up so I don't know why they worked so well.
VaccaRabite
They have vexed me for 2 years. The engine is solid. I have moved to a proven good exhaust. I am tired of fighting clogged idle jets, gummy fuel, etc. When I get the cable link done, my carbs will be the best they have ever been. But even so, they will never be "turn the key and drive away" good.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 18 2011, 08:34 PM) *

They have vexed me for 2 years. The engine is solid. I have moved to a proven good exhaust. I am tired of fighting clogged idle jets, gummy fuel, etc. When I get the cable link done, my carbs will be the best they have ever been. But even so, they will never be "turn the key and drive away" good.

Zach

Maybe it ws the old fuel that made mine run better. Also, it was my daily driver so that might have helped. ???

Back to the picnik - sorry
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 18 2011, 02:52 PM) *

Zach

Why bother on a car your going to sell anyway confused24.gif stirthepot.gif
ArtechnikA
I'm a 'probable.' Donno if Joy will be coming.
Just got back from a week out West so she's a little burned out on road trips...
VaccaRabite
Eh.
I start wanting to sell when I think about the carbs and not being able to drive it. If I could drive it for a season I might stop seeing all the other interesting things. Plus, EFI would be quieter then carbs and that would help my little boy not be scared of it.
Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 19 2011, 02:19 PM) *

Eh.
I start wanting to sell when I think about the carbs and not being able to drive it. If I could drive it for a season I might stop seeing all the other interesting things. Plus, EFI would be quieter then carbs and that would help my little boy not be scared of it.
Zach

Your little boy will get over the scared thing no mtter what you do. Soon he'll grow up and be scaring you.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 19 2011, 02:19 PM) *

EFI would be quieter th[a]n carbs and that would help my little boy not be scared of it.
ITB (Individual Throttle Bodies) make the sound, matters little if they're carbs or EFI. You can do a manifold (throttle body / plenum) injection if you want, like the GM cars did, but you won't get the performance.

Any guy (no matter what age) needs to come to terms with the sound of power.

I kid you not, I just flew in from Chicago, and heard an amazing (and quite personally depressing) TV editorial (from a GM of a major network affiliate) complaining that the Blue Angels / Thunderbirds (I'm not sure which) air show was too noisy, too scary, too expensive, and unnecessary for the upcoming Air and Water Show.

Mind you, this was only 1 day after J and I toured the Castle Air Museum displaying notable aircraft in America's history.

OK, it was Chicago (need I say more?) but when a prime example of this country's air superiority faces criticism because "it's loud and scary" I have to feel sad.

Of course, no offence intended to members in other countries, or those who think air power should be politely ignored, as a fart in a fine dining room...
mepstein
Just go in person and watch a Harrier jet take off and land and you'll never think anything else is loud.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 19 2011, 02:01 PM) *

Any guy (no matter what age) needs to come to terms with the sound of power.

My son is 3. I'll start being worried about him coming to terms with the sound of power when he is maybe 10.

Until then, I can try and foster my interests in him in such a way that does not send him running in fear. Right now I am just interested in being able to take my son for a drive.

Zach
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 19 2011, 03:40 PM) *

Just go in person and watch a Harrier jet take off and land and you'll never think anything else is loud.

You're talking to a guy who's seen B-52's and KC-135's take off at Castle AFB.
I worked under the takeoff pattern at NAS Miramar when it was Top Gun home base,
Believe me - I know loud.

While I knew Chicago was a 'special' place before, I never thought I'd see a network affiliate GM base an editorial on "air shows are too loud and icky."

It explains so much...

See the editorial for yourself: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/18/wal...air-water-show/
VaccaRabite
Event is days away!
I am actually taking my car in to have it serviced for the first time by someone other then me, so that I have a wisp of a prayer of driving it to the party. Otherwise, its the Honda. Either way, I'm going to be there and I hope you will too.

Zach

root
Update from the novice party brewers- beer.gif

Recipe:Rod's Pale Ale
first- we lost our jar of Irish Moss so we left it out of the recipe?
second - we did not secondary ferment (due to ignorance).
third - we forgot to purge the keg while racking!

otherwise it's in-the-keg...

If this doesn't turn out we will bring a COTS substitute!

Matt what else can we bring along, food wise?

PS..... I'll be bringing a couple extra sets of ear muffs for Evil's solos!
If anybody wants to borrow them. Cause It's a long way to the top, if you want to rock and roll ....... Evil!
zymurgist
Hey Rod, don't worry about leaving out the Irish moss; it's there to make the beer look pretty in the glass and it has no effect whatsoever on the taste. As a matter of fact, I forgot to add it to the brown ale too.

Secondary fermentation is IMO unnecessary, as long as you're not leaving it in the primary for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

Are you force carbonating it now? I didn't get around to racking the brown ale until this weekend, so I'm cranking up the CO2 and hoping for the best.
plas76targa
Some thing about that "Force Carbonating" sounds hazardous. No matches or open fire near the keg!

6 days and counting. Today's weather forecast for the weekend seemed ominous but we've delt with weather before. That won't stop us!
zymurgist
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Aug 22 2011, 08:44 AM) *

Some thing about that "Force Carbonating" sounds hazardous. No matches or open fire near the keg!

No worries, CO2 puts out fires. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
I am getting excited. I dont see any work related BS on the horizon to mess this up smile.gif Noel and Heidi will be attending with our dog Tonka. I will be bringing the electronic drum set for Scotty and one of my amps and axes. I am looking forward to a good reason to drink and party rather than just being off work rolleyes.gif
VaccaRabite
Erin is looking forward to seeing Noel again. Its been ages.
Zach
JmuRiz
Update from my carb rebuilding session:
No good...we did the top end, jets, bowls....you've never seen so much crap in a carb...yikes.

So we'll need to take them fully off the car and dunk in some carb-cleaning dip.

So the 914 won't make it to the event, but I still plan on showing up with my wife in the 356.

Is there anyone from NoVA driving up that wants to convoy up to Frederick?
VaccaRabite
I dropped my 914 at Translog today, and am hoping for a quick turn around. They had a LOT of cars there though so I may be SOL. Still at the rate I have been working on it they will still be faster, and the car may actually work when I get it back.

Zach
flipb
I'm not completely out yet... 914 was running when I left on vacation. Get back home Wednesday and depending on family, possible that I (or all 4 of us) could get up there on Saturday.
BajaXJ92
Just spent the last 40hrs working under/on my '71.... smilie_pokal.gif

New trans seals...
New pushrod tube and valve cover seals...
New Brakes all around....
New(er) tires....
New plugs/wires/cap/rotor/points.

This damn car better be able to make the 500 mile roundtrip journey since the '75 has the trans sitting on the floor and needs a clutch after the rear main seal blew out... stromberg.gif

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 22 2011, 01:18 PM) *

Is there anyone from NoVA driving up that wants to convoy up to Frederick?

I should be up in your area no later than 2pm coming up 95, if you'd like to meet up. Are you north or south of Exit 234 Dumfries?
JmuRiz
I'm north, but I planed on being at the location around 2PM...
okieflyr
Bumpin' before this goes offline for upgrades.

IRENE is not welcome up here either, she needs to go back out to sea!

Now back to our regularly scheduled beerchug.gif chowtime.gif
ArtechnikA
As much fun as this was last year, I'm going to have to pass.
We were delayed a day getting back into Philadelphia last weekend by weather and are still scrambling to make up from that. We did 1500 road miles plus two cross-country flights and J's a little burned out on travel just now.

I'd hoped to deliver a truckload of 911 parts to a friend on the east side of the state on the way there, but he's bailed on that deal.

I'm not worried about the weather - no one goes to a pool party and worries about getting wet. But there's just too much to be done here, and I can't really make it work as a daytrip.

Have fun y'all...
VaccaRabite
Current projections show the storm not hitting western MD till Sunday.

IPB Image
Party time. Excellent!

Zach
VaccaRabite
Bump!
In the event of last minute changes due to IRENE and if World is still down, look for a thread for this event on club. Otherwise we will see you all there.
Zach
BajaXJ92
Done a few crazy things in my life, but one thing I don't think I want to attempt is driving back south on sunday through 70-80mph winds in a 40yo car that weighs just south of a ton.

But it might make for a good story, so fuggit, I'm in. driving.gif
plas76targa
We're still ON for this weekend! Zach's right. Frederick may be far enough west to not have weather until Sunday.

Some of you who are much closer to the coast may use this event as your escape route. If you need or want to leave home on Friday we'll find room for you here! Just let me know so i can leave a light on for ya!

see you all Friday or Saturday!
okieflyr
I'm watching the Irene development over the next day or two. I've gotta be back home on Sat night, and at the moment it may be a bit dicey depending on how this thing tracks. headbang.gif I am hopeful!
Dr Evil
We will drink in the garage and make sweet, sweet music smile.gif
Dr Evil
About to depart with family and gear smile.gif See you about midnight rolleyes.gif
VaccaRabite
Heading out as soon as Erin gets home.
Zach
BajaXJ92
Well as badly as I wanted to make it I got rear ended at about 4pm today. I slowed down and stopped for a yellow to red light. An older guy in an '09 CLK Benz Conv plows into me thinking I was going to run the light.

The top won't fit on the car properly, the trans is stuck in gear and the exhaust is hanging. Honestly my neck hurts so damn badly I haven't had a chance to really assess the damage.

Hope you guys have a great time! Looks like I'll be riding this storm out in Va Beach and looking for another chassis as I'm almost certain this one is tweaked. sad.gif

IPB Image
flipb
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Aug 26 2011, 08:03 PM) *

Well as badly as I wanted to make it I got rear ended at about 4pm today. I slowed down and stopped for a yellow to red light. An older guy in an '09 CLK Benz Conv plows into me thinking I was going to run the light.

The top won't fit on the car properly, the trans is stuck in gear and the exhaust is hanging. Honestly my neck hurts so damn badly I haven't had a chance to really assess the damage.

Hope you guys have a great time! Looks like I'll be riding this storm out in Va Beach and looking for another chassis as I'm almost certain this one is tweaked. sad.gif

IPB Image

icon8.gif

That sucks hard. Hope the old fella's insurance makes you whole, and quick. Go pick up a replacement fourteen while there's still some driving season left.

If anybody has trouble on the way northbound, let me know - I'm an easy stop just off I-95 at the beltway. I don't have much in the way of tools but I can offer a dry couch and a beer.
slackin' at work
looks like I won't be making it.

I had the perfect scenario all planned out. go to annapolis MD in the morning and pick up some fenders for my current project, then swing on out to the party.

then irene and all the evacuations squashed that idea. traffic will be nuts.

now it looks like I'll be hanging at home watching the trees blow.

anyway, I want some good stories... so zach, evil and scottie will have to drink it up for me. beer3.gif
hot_shoe914
You guys all suck!Christine is still waiting on her heads to be done and then motor put back together. Truck drinks too much gas plus it needs new tires. Guess I will hook up the ski boat and go ride around the lake while you guys drink and have fun. Safe trips to and from the party for everyone and may Irene blow her wad before she causes severe damage.

Shoe

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

perrysan
Guys, I'm afraid we won't be able to make it. I guess all the media hype about Irene has done its job with us. Plus I'm on call this weekend for watching the computer systems at work, and if we lose power I have to log in and shut everything down before the batteries run out.

Stay dry and safe and have one for me!

-Rob
jimkelly
mad.gif

totally planned to come - even had green light from mrs. boss lady earlier in the week - but we are experiencing some sort of weather event here in delaware and it appears to be getting worse by the minute ??

jim

root

Rocky, our 13 year old lab had to be put down yesterday.
Needless to say it's a very sad time here at our house.
Kyle, Cody, and I buried him last night in the back yard.
I think it'll be good to get out of the house today so we're still planning to come but
we are getting a late start. If all goes well we will be there before 5PM tonight!
root sad.gif
ChristopherB
I won't be coming today due to the weather and mechanical issues. I had the car looking great too! I did an aggressive clay job followed by a polish then a wax, only to find oil gushing over my oil filter. I was pissed, then I saw Adam's post. That is a real shame. I hope your neck/back are OK.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.