Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennsport Reunion. Laguna Seca. Oct 14/16
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
VegasRacer

piratenanner.gif Fun, fun, fun. driving.gif

Click to view attachment
pt_700
i'll be there. question is if i should drive the 914 or ride the motorcycle.

how bad do you think traffic will be? will there be a car corral?
dgw
there is a car corral. i dont know if its too late to sign up. i think you go to the Laguna web site to sign up and pay.
wertygrog
Riquemar and I will be convoying up the 101 in our 914's from San Diego. I made hotel reservations (Day's Inn downtown) the other night. beerchug.gif
Michael N
I'll be there camping. piratenanner.gif
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Aug 12 2011, 11:37 AM) *

Traffic will be bad, and my experience of the last 15 years says that Laguna Seca’s traffic management will make it worse. You will want something that can idle for long periods of time without overheating, and you’ll need ground clearance if you are parking outside the track.
GeorgeRud
My wife and I are flying in and staying in Monterey for the event. If it's anywhere as much fun as Rennsport III was at Daytona, it should be a great event.

We've never been to Laguna Seca before. Is parking a problem at the track? We're going to be driving whatever the rental car company gives us, so I don't have to worry about where it's parked, but I've just had knee replacement surgery, so I am a bit concerned about getting around at the track.

I understand that the track does have golf carts available for rent for the event. How bad is it getting around the track? I know there are elevation changes, but are the distances between the viewing areas and the paddock reasonable or quite a hike? I'm trying to be pro-active to enjoy this event as much as the last one!

Hope to meet some of you left-coasters while we're out there!
Elliot Cannon
Parking in the dirt outside the track is 4X4 country. Huge dirt clods, gopher holes and LOTS of dust. If I come, it will be with the pickup. My last trip up there was for the historics. Had a great time. Laguna Seca is a good spectator track (although not as good as Riverside Raceway was). Bring your walking shoes and plenty of water.
Cheers, Elliot
tavoman27
if my car is ready by then I will try to make it with the guys from San Diego cruising on the 101!
pt_700
george, i can't imagine it's much better or worse than other tracks. might be worth looking into handicapped parking as your knee's just been "on jackstands".

elliot's correct, if there are enough people, overflow parking's in the hills around the track (although, i bet you could coax somebody into letting you park closer). getting around the inside of the track & paddock area's ok, just a few bridges (stairs) to cross. getting up to the corkscrew's a bit of a hike though. how about getting together a 914world royal litter? perhaps you should start practicing a proper royal hand wave?

i've never seen golf carts cruising around that place, except to carry stuff for the vendors.

anybody have an estimate of the attendance? think i'll be riding one of the bikes to this one.
damesandhotrods
Laguna Seca converted a lot of their parking into camping. I don’t know how difficult it is this days to get in field parking, but the last few times they were directing everyone into 4 x 4 country. And unlike the 17 year olds that were directing parking, I didn’t find the smell of Ferrari clutch burning (dirt, steep up hill) very funny. They were also winding both entrances through miles of Fort Ord, and meeting at a Y intersection to merge in to the parking canyon. I haven’t heard if that has been changed. The paddock is easy to get around, but unless you spend the day in the bleachers, it is a work out going up and down those hills. It’s not like Sears Point.

The track was lengthened in a bid to get the USGP, but the FIA past on the track due to infrastructure.
jcd914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 13 2011, 08:45 AM) *

We've never been to Laguna Seca before. Is parking a problem at the track?

but I've just had knee replacement surgery, so I am a bit concerned about getting around at the track.

For the last few years I have been going to both the historic races (next weekend by the way) and the ALMS races at Laguna, I have a campsite over looking the corkscrew for both events.
To alleviate traffic issues on highway 68 they route everyone in on Southboundry Road off highway 218, they won't let you in thru the main entrance.
General parking is in the dirt on "wolf hill" and unless you have a parking pass to one of the lower parking lots you will end up on the hill. If you have a "Physically Challenged" parking permit they have a couple sections in lots down near the track.
They do not (to the best of my knowledge) rent golf carts to general public. There are some golf carts running around the track, some racing teams use them, vendors use them and they have some "Physically Challenged" shuttles running around.
As far as watching racing, there are lots of places to watch from but you do a lot of walking around. I like the grandstands at turn 4, the hill overlooking turn 2, the hill by the corkscrew and then there are the grandstands at start finish are places all around the track to watch from. There are always several hospitality tent set up by various clubs, manufactures or companies but you have to has a pass to access them. With the exception of the grandstands and the hospitality tents you will need to carry a chair around with you or stand or sit in the ground.
If the Rennsport Reunion is like the historic races you're not really there to watch the races but to see the cars in the paddock because they don't race hard with the old rare cars.

If I was sporting an injury or for some reason (other than getting fat an old) would struggle with the hills and distances I would be calling the track and asking about parking close and assistance with getting around the facility. They are very nice people at the track and always are nice.

Anyone going to the historics next weekend?

Jim
GeorgeRud
I did check with the track map, and it seems that they do provide handicapped accessable parking, so that should be a plus.

I have been unable to drive my 914-6 this summer as my knee was bad enough to prevent me from pushing in the clutch pedal, so I chose to have my left knee replaced first. Three weeks after surgery, I'm able to put a lot more weight on it, so I hope that the other knee goes as well and I can enjoy the event as much as possible.

It sucks to get old, fat, and have parts wear out. When will someone figure out how to put zerk fittings in our joints so we can get longer use out of them? biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the info on the track, it should help with our planning.
jcd914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 14 2011, 03:11 PM) *

I did check with the track map, and it seems that they do provide handicapped accessable parking, so that should be a plus.

I have been unable to drive my 914-6 this summer as my knee was bad enough to prevent me from pushing in the clutch pedal, so I chose to have my left knee replaced first. Three weeks after surgery, I'm able to put a lot more weight on it, so I hope that the other knee goes as well and I can enjoy the event as much as possible.

It sucks to get old, fat, and have parts wear out. When will someone figure out how to put zerk fittings in our joints so we can get longer use out of them? biggrin.gif

You might want to find out what they need from you to get a handicapped parking space, the last event I was at they were looking for placards from the DMV or handicapped license plates. Don't know what Cali does for our out of state visitors. I know the guy that runs the physically challenged shuttles and they don't ask for any proof, if you ask for a ride they give it to you but they do have some limits as to where they can go to and from.

It should be a good event, hope it works out well for you.

Jim
campbellcj
I will be there. I am camping near the corkscrew bridge. We should have a 914 BBQ or something.
jcd914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 14 2011, 09:37 PM) *

I will be there. I am camping near the corkscrew bridge. We should have a 914 BBQ or something.

I am camping in Upper Corkscrew View site 603.
Come by and and visit, we can BBQ, have a beer or coffee in the AM.

I'll PM you my phone number but my old beast of an RV is easy to pick out:
Click to view attachment

The view from my camp site: (love to sit here and have coffee here in the morning)
Click to view attachment
Jim
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 14 2011, 03:11 PM) *

Yeah, it sucks to get olde. You remember how great the track was back in the 70s, and how much better everything was before all of the “improvements”. The Cork Screw is still there, and you haven’t lived until you’ve heard those flat 12s opened up on the uphill straight to the Cork Screw. The track still has some magic and history.
jgara962
I'm going. I'll probably drive to Morgan Hill on Friday night and then get an early start and head into Monterey from there on Saturday.
campbellcj
Hmm. I just checked my emailed receipt, and it looks like they put me over in Chaparral (B 73) near turn 5, not in Corkscrew View as I discussed on the phone. Unless it's really 573 which looks like the space I requested. Now I'm confused. sad.gif
jgara962
I just ordered my ticket but WTF Laguna Seca? You can only get a coral pass with a three-day ticket??
Elliot Cannon
Looks like I'll definately be parking in the boonies and I'll be in the pickup. Last time I brought my 914 it was almost an hour to get to parking and had me wishing I had the F150. Pack a lunch and bring plenty of water and your walking shoes.
Cheers, Elliot
Downunderman
I have heard along the grapevine that three blokes from down here are taking their 2.7 Carrera historic cars over to run at the event. They will be pretty easy to pick; all RHD.
EdwardBlume
This looks cool. I'll need to sell the wife hard on this though...
campbellcj
Cool - I emailed the ticket office and sure 'nuff, they had me in the wrong space, but 573 in Corkscrew View was still open so they moved me. smile.gif
harlenl
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Aug 12 2011, 11:37 AM) *

The car corral is being handled by the PCA and the decision on where the Porsches will be parked will be decided this week.

In regards to traffic, all 4 gates will be open. A lot of people don't like South Boundary road (parallels Hwy 68), but it's relatively flat so you avoid the hills off Hwy 68. Since the track sits on a county park it is governed by the county. They do not like Hwy 68 backed up since it's one lane in both directions as the local residents don't like bumper to bumper traffic (who does?). In a lot of cases traffic will be dictated by the CHP/ Sherriff's office forcing the track to move race traffic on S. Boundary road by closing the gate off A and/or B road (main gates). This is the case for most big races. Depending on where you're going or coming from many take Barloy Canyon road off Reservation road which takes you to Hwy 1 or Hwy 68. If that is the way you want to go I can get you exact directions.

Harlen
harlenl
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 13 2011, 08:45 AM) *

My wife and I are flying in and staying in Monterey for the event. If it's anywhere as much fun as Rennsport III was at Daytona, it should be a great event.

We've never been to Laguna Seca before. Is parking a problem at the track? We're going to be driving whatever the rental car company gives us, so I don't have to worry about where it's parked, but I've just had knee replacement surgery, so I am a bit concerned about getting around at the track.

I understand that the track does have golf carts available for rent for the event. How bad is it getting around the track? I know there are elevation changes, but are the distances between the viewing areas and the paddock reasonable or quite a hike? I'm trying to be pro-active to enjoy this event as much as the last one!

Hope to meet some of you left-coasters while we're out there!

Hello George,
I will do my best to answer your questions. In regards to parking, unless you have been given a parking pass
(Blue 2 - participants, Blue 3 - Flagroom, Green 4 - vendors, Brown 7 - paid seasonal, Red 8 - Red Bull Engergy
Center, Red 9 - Special paid parking, or paid corral), then you'll be in general parking which is Purple 10 or
Wolfe Hill. Therewill be Physcially Challenged golf carts stationed there, but the demand is usually fairly high
and the distance to drop you off is across the track so it can cause a queue. I would suggest obtaining a temporary
handicapped parking placard from your state. In Calif I believe it just takes a note from your doctor. This way
you will be parked in Handicapped parking around the facility and the Physically Challenged golf carts will pick
you up and take you where you want to go. Those golf carts are roaming throughout the day so you can always flag
one down. A good place to wait is in front of the Cruz'n Cafe. There are also Information booths around the facility
(start/finish bridge, in front of the souvenir store, drivers left Turn 4, drivers left Turn 5) who can also call
one for you. You may also stop any SCRAMP official (blue shirts) and if they have a radio they will also call one for
you. Physically Challenged also has a special tent above the Turn 4 Grandstands where you can sit, have refreshments
and food, all free on behalf of the Monterey Bay Veterans.

I would suggest you take a PC golf cart up to the corkscrew, which is the signature turn of the track. There are
SCRAMP officials up there as well who can also call a golf cart to take you back down and anywhere you want to go.
At the end of the day, the same PC golf carts will take you to your car. The purpose is for you to have a good time
without any difficulty.

As for getting through the paddock or the car corral in the lakebed there is no easy solution. You will have to walk
up and down the rows of cars. I believe you can rent a golf cart, but it's not cheap. If that is the direction you
want to proceed please contact Chris Wofford:http://www.mazdaraceway.com/profile/chris-wofford

Hopefully this helps.

Harlen
jgara962
Since you can't get a corral pass without buying a three day ticket, does anyone have a corral pass that they won't be using?
pt_700
wow! thanks harlen, for the insider laguna info! i'll be coming from south san jose on hwy 101 and usually prefer to take the front entrance off hwy 68. i'll take a look at a map for the Barloy Canyon road route you mentioned.

will there be motorcycle parking and if so, where?
infraredcalvin
What routes are being taken from so cal? I'll be taking my turbo up (hopefully, fixing a busted exhaust stud) but leaving OC on thurs early. Would like to take 101/1 but what are the best suggested routes for some good open roads. Thinking it's appropriate to hit the James Dean memorial junction en route (never been) so I'll be trying to map that in. Would love to cross paths/caravan/whatever with another enthusiast.

Pat
914_teener
I"m driving up with my girlfriend and staying in Prunedale. Be fun to meet up with World folks on the track. Bringing chairs but not the teener for this one.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 6 2011, 08:42 PM) *

What routes are being taken from so cal? I'll be taking my turbo up (hopefully, fixing a busted exhaust stud) but leaving OC on thurs early. Would like to take 101/1 but what are the best suggested routes for some good open roads. Thinking it's appropriate to hit the James Dean memorial junction en route (never been) so I'll be trying to map that in. Would love to cross paths/caravan/whatever with another enthusiast.

Pat

QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 6 2011, 09:10 PM) *

I"m driving up with my girlfriend and staying in Prunedale. Be fun to meet up with World folks on the track. Bringing chairs but not the teener for this one.

Pat and 914_teener,

You guys are welcome to join me and Brent. We are leaving Thursday morning as well, and will probably be running the Coastal Route. Where are you guys out of?
914_teener
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 6 2011, 09:51 PM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 6 2011, 08:42 PM) *

Pat

QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 6 2011, 09:10 PM) *

Pat and 914_teener,

You guys are welcome to join me and Brent. We are leaving Thursday morning as well, and will probably be running the Coastal Route. Where are you guys out of?

Ok...thanks. I don't know if she can take off Thursday yet...but for sure we can leave Friday morn.

We live in the Glendora area.....( East LA county off the 210 frwy.)

I thought 101 to Coastal Route. It depends on which car we take. I am up for going with some World folks though. I'll know about Thursday in a week or so.

Rob
RiqueMar
I think you should reconsider, and take the 914 driving.gif
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 6 2011, 09:51 PM) *

Pat and 914_teener,

That is really cool, thanks!

I'm en route, I live a few miles up ortega hwy, just outside San Juan Capistrano, so I'm right off the 5. Let's talk time and route. I might be leaving real early like 3 or 4 am to beat la traffic (getting excited already, but no solid plans yet), but it would be nice to know a fellow or two coming up behind me in case of an issue.

Pat
infraredcalvin
[quote name='914_teener' date='Sep 6 2011, 10:11 PM' post='1535624']

[quote name='914_teener' post='1535610' date='Sep 6 2011, 09:10 PM']

Ok...thanks. I don't know if she can take off Thursday yet...but for sure we can leave Friday morn.

We live in the Glendora area.....( East LA county off the 210 frwy.)

I thought 101 to Coastal Route. It depends on which car we take. I am up for going with some World folks though. I'll know about Thursday in a week or so.

Rob
[/quote]

Glendora is nice, I built a bunch of homes there and finished last year, now building in Azusa, at the cursed Rosedale development... If you live near, I'm sure you've heard of it.

I too say take the teener, even though Im not taking mine.

Pat
RiqueMar
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 6 2011, 10:32 PM) *

That is really cool, thanks!

I'm en route, I live a few miles up ortega hwy, just outside San Juan Capistrano, so I'm right off the 5. Let's talk time and route. I might be leaving real early like 3 or 4 am to beat la traffic (getting excited already, but no solid plans yet), but it would be nice to know a fellow or two coming up behind me in case of an issue.

Pat

Sounds cool driving.gif I think the plan for the drive up is that there is no plan. If people want to leave early, or meet up, or drive ahead, its all a very relaxed atmosphere.
harlenl
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Sep 6 2011, 09:49 AM) *

wow! thanks harlen, for the insider laguna info! i'll be coming from south san jose on hwy 101 and usually prefer to take the front entrance off hwy 68. i'll take a look at a map for the Barloy Canyon road route you mentioned.

will there be motorcycle parking and if so, where?

Motorcycles are usually parked in roughly the same spot as general parking for cars which is Purple 11 (cars are in Purple 10). As you can surmise it's basically the same spot known as Wolfe Hill. The issue of course it's on dirt and not the best place for bikes. Granted all motorcycles park there for MotoGP. Send me an email and I'll suggest a workaround so you can park it on pavement.

Harlenlee@scramp.org
pt_700
what do potential attendees from 914 world think about an informal meeting somewhere at the rennsport reunion? i'm thinking something like getting together at a certain bridge or other place @ lunchtime.

would be nice to meet some out of town forum members as this is somewhat of a rare opportunity.
Larouex
Just received my passes today. I bought these a while back and my son and I are flying into SFO and driving to the races. I spent the bucks for the Pit Row Suite and also the Quail Porsche Race Car Classic thingy with all the cars on Sunday. I will be taking lots of Holga shots and post everything when I get back.

Larouex
wertygrog
Hey PT 700 that sounds like a great idea....we could meet up at the 'biergarten' or whatnot that they are setting up. Maybe nail something down in a few weeks. beerchug.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(wertygrog @ Sep 10 2011, 07:54 PM) *

Hey PT 700 that sounds like a great idea....we could meet up at the 'biergarten' or whatnot that they are setting up. Maybe nail something down in a few weeks. beerchug.gif

Sounds like a plan! agree.gif
nowlings
Any folks from Sacramento/Central Valley headed to the event. Looking for a caravan some time on Thursday the 13th.

Thanks!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(nowlings @ Sep 13 2011, 12:50 PM) *

Any folks from Sacramento/Central Valley headed to the event. Looking for a caravan some time on Thursday the 13th.

Thanks!

1 Month til' we are departing SoCal! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
nowlings
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 13 2011, 03:54 PM) *

Thanks!

it would be great to get an unofficial count or idea of how many 914s are going to physically make the corral. I saw a press release from the raceway that the total corral space is almost full (like 800 cars). I hope we represent our contingency with a fair showing of cars.
jcd914
QUOTE(nowlings @ Sep 13 2011, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 13 2011, 03:54 PM) *

Thanks!

it would be great to get an unofficial count or idea of how many 914s are going to physically make the corral. I saw a press release from the raceway that the total corral space is almost full (like 800 cars). I hope we represent our contingency with a fair showing of cars.

I am planning to go but I won't be taking any of my 914s.

Jim

VegasRacer
I got my Admission Ticket and Parking Pass in the mail today. piratenanner.gif
This is going to be an awesome event. smilie_pokal.gif
I am anxious to see the bricks again.
It has been a few years since I have been at Laguna.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Going.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 20 2011, 07:13 AM) *

Going.

Bringing the 911???
Eric_Shea
No... I yanked the engine out of that too... LOL

I'm thinking of bringing the Bombardier Canadair CRJ-200 into San Jose.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 20 2011, 01:10 PM) *

No... I yanked the engine out of that too... LOL

I'm thinking of bringing the Bombardier Canadair CRJ-200 into San Jose.

Make sure the captain is old enough to shave.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.