Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alright, lets get the chatter going for the
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Curvie Roadlover
Bruce, If you come in on the 11am flight what time would you arrive? I might be able to pick you up. I'm 10 minutes from Metro.
GWN7
Thanks Tom,

I meant SW corner...... biggrin.gif Last time I was there (6 yrs ago) I had to drive to Lakeside, took me about an hour.

The flight leaves here at 11am...think it arrives Kalamazoo at around 3. I didn't check DTW flights yesterday, but I'm sure there are more connector flights thru Minnapolis to DTW than Kalamazoo.

This is only if I can find some one to cover for me.

BTW box on it's way to you. beerchug.gif
Curvie Roadlover
Thanks Bruce. Let me know if you fly in to Metro and need a ride.
Eric_Shea
BS,

If there's a car for another 1970 Canary Yellow 914-6 owner to drive to Hell... count me in. (I promise not to say a word about the mirrors) cool.gif
Eric_Shea
Alsoooooooooo... I think Bill had an empty seat from K-Zoo. Bruce, that might save ya a little on flights??
BS Chairman
Eric,
Sorry about that other yellow six for Hell, but my SO will be the co pilot. grouphug.gif But I'm checking on a four banger for you. Not sure about the mirror thing.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 21 2004, 08:43 AM)
If there's a car for another 1970 Canary Yellow 914-6 owner to drive to Hell...

my Canary 914.6 will not be making the trip, but i'll have an available seat in the RS-esque 911 ...
Eric_Shea
What... are we twin sons of different Mothers? biggrin.gif

(both PCA newsletter editors, both have canary yellow sixes, both have RS clones... I suppose you're extremely well-endowed too right?) w00t.gif (Miles made me say that...) confused24.gif

Now if you "drive" like me then the deal is off! Otherwise, beerchug.gif
Curvie Roadlover
There's still an open seat in Leif Garrett's car ohmy.gif driving-girl.gif
1bad914
I just got off the phone with the significant other, count us in! No car, the latest project is on jack stands and is being nipped and tucked! smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Randy
Eric_Shea
There's still an open seat in Leif Garrett's car

Leif's coming?!?!?! ohmy.gif

I'll faint!! pray.gif

(sit... down... good-boy, now roll over... good-boy)
jim912928
Ok..here is how I'm doing on getting mine roadworthy. By friday I'll have all of my final parts (most arrived this week). So, I only have to:

1. put on the entire front suspension
2. get a wheel alignment
3. install all the brakes (after rebuilding and widening them with spacers)
4. install front/rear sway bars (although I can let this one slide)
5. speedometer cable and angle drive (would be nice to know how fast i'm going!)
6. put in my entire interior

and if I have any spare time...put on the rear reflector and some method of opening the trunk!

hmmm...I've got so much to do why am I here online!
rich brennick
Bump to the top!! We're in!
See you all Friday evening!
Rich and Amy Brennick
driving.gif driving-girl.gif
givemebeer.gif
beerchug.gif
drunk.gif
ArtechnikA
i'm keeping my hat in but i'm getting bummed - oil pressure in the 911 is dropping like a stone and it's starting to feel soft, even though it felt great on a brisk 200-mi run yesterday morning... i'm gonna hafta call it 'day to day' -- the 911 is our only runner right now and i can't afford to R&R the engine in the Subie - much less the 911. gonna be shopping for engine bits for a winter project, tho - starting to look a lot less optional ...
TJB/914
Dang,
Just got word today I have a business presentation to make on Friday afternoon 1:30 P.M. @ the Univ. of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN. That means I will be getting home real late Friday night the 6th. Now I have to cancel my open house at the motel. Sorry guys, no beer, nuts & other fun stuff I had planned. Business comes first. This is a construction project I worked on for (6) months. I will however be there early Saturday for the main event. Now I have a dilemma, should I cancel my room reservation? Does anyone need my room for Friday night? Let me know if anyone needs my room before I cancel.

The business world is cruel & always spoils fun plans. Just can't figure why they would schedule a meeting on Friday late in the afternoon before a summer weekend.
Tom
Gint
i'm keeping my hat in but i'm getting bummed - oil pressure in the 911 is dropping like a stone and it's starting to feel soft, even though it felt great on a brisk 200-mi run yesterday morning... i'm gonna hafta call it 'day to day' -- the 911 is our only runner right now and i can't afford to R&R the engine in the Subie - much less the 911. gonna be shopping for engine bits for a winter project, tho - starting to look a lot less optional ...

Drive the Subie! Or rent a U-Haul. biggrin.gif Just show up!

The business world is cruel & always spoils fun plans. Just can't figure why they would schedule a meeting on Friday late in the afternoon before a summer weekend.

Happens all the time Tom. We'll make do Friday evening. I'm looking forward to seeing that beautiful 914 of yours on Saturday!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Gint @ Jul 23 2004, 06:55 PM)
Drive the Subie! Or rent a U-Haul. Just show up!

Suibie's engine is dead - head gaskets. renting anything is right out.
unless the 911 miraculously starts acting right today, i'm out. the handwriting on the wall is quite clear. we have exactly one running car supporting two working people and we have no reserve; what was i thinking even trying to do this ?

i need to concentrate on getting this situation more stable...

Joy will have another car sometime in August after her Reno condo sale closes escrow. there are replacement engines available for the Subie, and it was always the plan for that to become my winter car. so i 'just' have to work out how to replace the engine in the 911 over the winter.

lessee -- a 2,2 overbored 0,040" is ...

anyway - it was a fun idea while it lasted, but i just don't think this is gonna happen this year. gotta go cancel on the ECR too ...
Curvie Roadlover
Rich, sorry to hear about your predicament. I hope you can figure out a way to attend sad.gif
jim912928
well..progress is slow getting mine altogether but I'm working at it: so far I have:
1. most of the interior in (see pic...dash and stereo system left to go)
2. rear suspension is all in
3. brakes have all been cleaned, painted and spacers installed (not on car yet)
4. had the rear vented rotor turned smaller to fit my 914-4 widened calipers

What I have left to do:
1. put on the entire front suspension
2. mount all the brakes
3. mount all the tires
4. speedo cable and angle drive
5. sway bars (might not have time)
6. dash board (upper and lower and the flat part that goes to the window)
7. stereo (if I have time)
8. front end alignment

If I at least get it drivable...it may have a few missing pieces here and there!
seanery
I finally made my hotel reservation. I got a King single Friday night then have to check out and check back into a Jr. Suite Saturday. wacko.gif There are no more rooms for Saturday, but may be more suites.

See Y'All Friday.

Caravan plans anyone? Garold, other Indiana, Kentucky, IL guys? confused24.gif
Dave-O
Hey Rick, Did you still want to meet up somewhere in Wisconsin and take the ferry across? I plan on leaving early on Friday. I will have a passenger on the trip over but i have a free seat in the teaner at the event and anyone is welcome wavey.gif . The ferry leaves Manitowoc at 1:30 in the afternoon. Any other Cheese state teeners making the trip? I'm certainly open to other caravan ideas.

David
GWN7
Off the fence....it aint gonna happen....have fun and take pictures beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
Caravan plans anyone? Garold, other Indiana, Kentucky, IL guys?  

Been gone for a week.

I'm still on vacation this week so I can leave any time Friday. Sean would you come up I65 or are you taking I69? What's the word on our friend from the great white north? Is he hitching a ride with you?
GWN7
see above..... Nope biggrin.gif

Only guy I could get to work those days wanted $250. Besides the loss of acting pay (another $60) I figured I wait and bank some time for next year. Were short handed at work, calling in 7-8 guys per shift. Have fun take some pics. beerchug.gif
seanery
see post above yours.

I'll be coming up I-69.
jim912928
I'd love to caravan (in South Bend IN), assuming I get done...cause this will be the maiden voyage and would be nice to have some help just in case!

Today I accomplished this:

1. the turbo tie rods are installed
2. sway bar mounts for front are welded on..and a-arms are painted
3. rear rotors and brakes are now mounted

tomorrow (sunday) I'll hopefully do this:
1. front end installed
2. front brakes installed
3. brakes bled

I did run into one snag...i put vented rotors on the back..spaced out my 914-4 rear brakes...having trouble making/finding brake pad retaining clips...broke two new ones that I tried to modify that were for a 911...any suggestions?

Things I probably won't get done:

1. antenna
2. stereo
3. dash (upper, lower and the piece that goes to the window)

Jim
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jul 31 2004, 07:11 PM)
Hey Rick, Did you still want to meet up somewhere in Wisconsin and take the ferry across? I plan on leaving early on Friday. I will have a passenger on the trip over but i have a free seat in the teaner at the event and anyone is welcome wavey.gif . The ferry leaves Manitowoc at 1:30 in the afternoon. Any other Cheese state teeners making the trip? I'm certainly open to other caravan ideas.

David

Sandy and I talked about the ferry ride. We don't have reservations yet ( we were warned to make sure you have reservations this time of year) and were worried about getting to the boat by 1:30 in the afternoon. Were coming a long way by the time we get that far. We opted to keep driving.

Looking at my mapping software, if we leave at 5:00 am we don't get to the ferry til 2:30. any other problems along the way would only bump this out further. We thought driving would be best for us. I'm heading out the door for the day. I'll post our map tomorrow night late from my Hotel room. (I'm out of town for the week for work) Maybe we can figure something out.
jim912928
I'm getting closer!

Today I accomplished:

1. complete front suspension on (control arms with new bushings, 911 struts, new ball joints, turbo tie rods, vented rotors, rebuilt and widened calipers)
2. brakes bleed and so far no leaks!
3. have the hard part of the rear axles with repacked CV joints installed (wheel side).

Tomorrow I'll:

1. pack the tranny side CV joints and attach
2. go for a test drive!

Things yet to do:

1. upper/lower dash
2. targa bar interior panels
3. stereo, speakers and antenna
4. sway bars (front/rear)

The last 4 are all very optional for friday/saturday!

Ok, let's see about caravaning. I can leave (assuming no catastrophe's when I'm testing it out thursday) anytime friday. I will be leaving south bend from the toll road (80/90...i'm about 2 miles from the mishawaka exit) to 69 and head into michigan from there. Who's up for caravaning?

Jim
BS Chairman
Jim,
Glad to hear all is going well. Keep us updated.
BS Chairman driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
Who's up for caravaning?

Jim

I can leave anytime. I'm in Portage so it would take me about 45min - 1 hr to get to you depending on the traffic.

Hey aircooled, you still leaving Friday? You still interested in caravaning with us? Anyone else?

Sean what time were you planning on leaving Indy?

Should I start a new Caravan to the MWC thread?
seanery
big question (for me at least)

WHAT TIMEZONE IS THIS EVENT IN?
Curvie Roadlover
EST
seanery
So, it's 2:27 ?
GaroldShaffer
They are 1 hour ahead of us Indiana guys.
seanery
Oh, so they are Eastern Daylight Time.

So we need to plan on being in the Detroit Area by 4:30 - 5 our time then? confused24.gif
rich brennick
The Weather Channel long-term-outlook is suggesting an excellent weather window FRIDAY-SATURDAY for the MWC!
"Partly Cloudy- Temp.: 70's"
No sign of any Green anywhere.
Looks like we're gonna be good.
Rich party.gif
BS Chairman
Guys,
If you could, the time thing 5-5:30 our time 4-4:30 your time and if you aren't confused by now you never will be! wacko.gif We would like start dinner about 7:00 our time EDT. Not a must to go, but, if you want It's a short walk.
Hawk
You guys are all incredible. This is going to be one great 914 time.
The weather will be dry, approaching 80 degrees.

If you all arrive after 7pm on Friday, we will be across the street from the Best Western (walking distance) at the Whitmore Lake Tavern having dinner. beerchug.gif
After that we will probably be in the bar with live music adjacent to the Big Boys. You can crawl back to the Best Western from there! beer3.gif
jim912928
Ok....I'm really cutting it short. Today I accomplished this:

1. finished installing the axles on the tranny side (what a pain as I had to remove the axle from the previous day on the passenger side as it was locked up..oh well
2. threw on some brake pins and pads
3. fired it up and made sure both rear hubs spun on engine power and stopped with brake power....success!

4. I then had to attend to some "honey do" things as I've been buried in the garage for the past 4 days...keep the peace!

Tomorrow I need to fab some rear brake pins with holes in them..., put on my grease caps in front, put the rims/tires on and go for a test drive.

My brakes are alittle spongy...the rear rubber lines look suspect, that could be a problem as I can see them flex in not the usual way when applying the brakes...I'm going to try to replace them thursday if I can find some fast enough.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Jim
GaroldShaffer
driving.gif GO JIM GO!
rick 918-S
I feel your pain Jim! Stay at it! Your almost there!
Curvie Roadlover
4 more days boldblue.gif
jim912928
Ok...some success and some setbacks. Today I fabbed my brake pad pins. Mounted the tires and took it for a test drive (see pick...daughter had to go with me on my maiden voyage!). Looks like I'm leaking some brake fluid. Rear rubber brake line is leaking and two calipers are leaking alittle. To dark when I discovered this so I'll tear into them tomorrow and thursday. GPR is overnighting me some brake lines (those guys are great!).

But, I took it for a spin around the neighborhood and man it was fun!

I'm also surprised as I did a "rough" front wheel alignment and the silly thing tracks darn straight..still going to get it aligned real soon.

And...for anybody needing new tie rod ends...get the turbo units..what a difference they make!

It's looking better for taking the trip in the 914! But, if some unforseen events take place I will make it to meet you all..just might be in either the 911 or the 928.

Jim
GaroldShaffer
Awsome smilie_pokal.gif Call ya tomorrow night!
Qarl
Dudes! I'm psyched to be able to join you all and be in the presence of so many nice looking 914s at one time!

See you in a few days!
jfort
caravan is meeting Sat. morning west of Toledo. here is the info:

I AM TRYING TO GET ALL N.W. OHIO 914'S THAT ARE GOING TO MEET AT:
U.S. 23 ,EXIT ,#4,AIRPORT HWY. EAST ,GO TO FIRST LIGHT ,TURN LEFT INTO PARKING
LOT. IT'S ACROSS FRON ST.JOHNS HIGH SCHOOL.AT 6:30 A.M.
WE WILL LEAVE IN MASS AT 7:00 A.M. SHARP.IT'S ABOUT A HOUR DRIVE TO THE CLASSIC SITE.
THE HOST GROUP S.M.O.G. HAS SUPPORTED THE CLASSIC HEREVERY WELL THE LAST 2 YRS.
I WOULD LIKE TO RESIPRACATE THIS YR. WITH A LARGE GROUP FROM OHIO.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW,IF THIS WORKS FOR YOU?

DAVE KIMPLE.AKA BARBER DAVE dk@toast.net
TJB/914
Hi Guys,
I been promoted to official meet Photographer by BS (Gary) Chairman & blessd by Tom Mulchrome & Hawk. Go easy on me guys/gals.

This is a test photo to see how high @ resolution I can go on this web site.

FYI
It's Wyatt's 914 FS (Plymouth, MI). I think he wants $500 or best offer. Has lots of good parts, 1.8 Liter, Fuchs, Lug Bolts, Orig. Windshield w/VW sticker. I want that sticker (CW stuff).

Tom
TJB/914
@nd test photo
qa1142
Fence just broke. wacko.gif

Saturday is my 13 year old's B-Day. (I know this date looked familular)

Take lots of pictures, I'll try again next year.

sad.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Aug 4 2004, 01:11 PM)
Fence just broke. wacko.gif

Saturday is my 13 year old's B-Day. (I know this date looked familular)

Take lots of pictures, I'll try again next year.

sad.gif

Sorry to here... great father/kid birthday trip.... biggrin.gif Well for at least one of you. happy11.gif

The clock is ticking boys and girls.... icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.