Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Slackers Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
oldschool
Me 3 need to make a decision to put the 1.7 back in the red car and sell it, Or sell it with the motor off and let the owner clean it up first. confused24.gif
raw1298
Well it's been almost a year since I made progress on the car. Today I started fitting the rear glass bumper and fixed the starter issue. I made a promise to drive her this summer or sell it. Threatening myself works sometimes.
76-914
I had to drag this back up. It's been 9 month's since we last revisited this. Enough time for a human being to develop from a single cell into a miraculous being. And probably enough time to put a good sized dent into your 914 workload. But have you? I know ChrisH is still working on his project poke.gif when he feels like it. poke.gif And Sir Andy's Limo project might rust away with age before another hand touch's it again. poke.gif Rich, are you still on jack stands? poke.gif And then there is Dave (silversocal IIRC)who is using parenthood as his excuse. poke.gif And I'd love to see Jim Kelly's relic run before we all get old and die. hide.gif happy11.gif stirthepot.gif
eric9144
hide.gif

Haven't done squat on my brake swap dry.gif

But I did just buy a new welding machine welder.gif it'll probably just sit there and not get used... slap.gif
'73-914kid
While ya'll were slackin, I got painted my car, and did a 6 conversion.. All while working and going to school... come on people.. get to it. poke.gif av-943.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 23 2014, 01:48 PM) *

I had to drag this back up. It's been 9 month's since we last revisited this. Enough time for a human being to develop from a single cell into a miraculous being. And probably enough time to put a good sized dent into your 914 workload. But have you? I know ChrisH is still working on his project poke.gif when he feels like it. poke.gif And Sir Andy's Limo project might rust away with age before another hand touch's it again. poke.gif Rich, are you still on jack stands? poke.gif And then there is Dave (silversocal IIRC)who is using parenthood as his excuse. poke.gif And I'd love to see Jim Kelly's relic run before we all get old and die. hide.gif happy11.gif stirthepot.gif

Might get to it this summer....

Rich
Tilly74
My name is Blake. I'm a chronic procrastinator and submit my name for public harassment.
Click to view attachment
ben*james
QUOTE(Tilly74 @ May 21 2014, 07:43 PM) *

My name is Blake. I'm a chronic procrastinator and submit my name for public harassment.
Click to view attachment

Blake....get that shit off the top of your car. You disgust me, you are pathetic. WTF.gif evilgrin.gif
av-943.gif

Ok, seriously, we are in the same boat. I've got tons to do as well. sawzall-smiley.gif

Let's motivate each other. I'll buy you a beverage if you make progress on your car this week. beer.gif

Cheers,
76-914
How about the two of yous just do 1 thing this week on your 914 and post it here by Sunday. One little thing! That's all it takes to get back into your project. The challenge has been issued. stirthepot.gif
ben*james
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 22 2014, 07:39 AM) *

How about the two of yous just do 1 thing this week on your 914 and post it here by Sunday. One little thing! That's all it takes to get back into your project. The challenge has been issued. stirthepot.gif

welder.gif

I'm on it.

Usually I'd just buy something from the parts department of the world, store it in my ever growing pile of stuff and call it good. av-943.gif

Not this week though. This week, I'm going to clean up the speaker wire hanging out from under the dash and remove old and useless speakers.
r_towle
Ok.....maybe some welding while it's raining.....otherwise it's cabriolet weather and yard work...
eric9144
I spend all my wrench time on my '47 Willy's now, my 914 runs like a Swiss watch so there's really nothing but vanity projects to do there...it ain't broke so I don't fix it biggrin.gif

Too many "other" projects suck up my time and having 2 acres also is a pretty big time suck...but I wouldn't trade it for anything beerchug.gif
cpavlenko
My 74 Europa special, only 20,000 miles. here's some pictures. there form my album book, so bare with me on hoe they look. It was a great restoration. Uncle Louie Unser helped with engine build at his shop in Fullerton Calif. back in the late 80's. I must say the 914 is much easier to get in and out than the Lotus.
ben*james
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 22 2014, 07:39 AM) *

cheer.gif
Well, I did it.
Useless speaker wire no longer hanging under the dash!
Got to say, the car looks much better.
beer.gif
76-914
thumb3d.gif What's next on your list?
ben*james
Transmission rebuild via Dr. Evil. !
76-914
QUOTE(ben*james @ May 26 2014, 10:05 PM) *

Transmission rebuild via Dr. Evil. !

PM me when you do. I have a few tranny tools that will make your rebuild go easier. Just cover the cost of shipping and a $10 donation to whichever 914World relief effort that is current e.g. Cap'n Crusty's niece fighting cancer, RJMIII legal fee's, etc., etc.
r_towle
Just wanted to report back that since I last posted I have done nothing to the car....

I thought about it, but failed to get out of the chair.
76-914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 24 2014, 07:12 PM) *

Just wanted to report back that since I last posted I have done nothing to the car....

I thought about it, but failed to get out of the chair.

poke.gif I understand that you NE guy's can't work on your car unless it is 20 below and snowing; right?
Phoenix914
I hereby call myself out as a 914 slacker. My car hasn't started or run reliably for several years and has instead become an object of ridicule (to some) and one of quiet, depressing anguish to me.

We used to have so much fun together...staying up late, listening to the radio, just hanging out while I fixed, refurbished, replaced, and adjusted.

I'm sure all it needs is a comprehensive tune up, new vacuum hoses (current ones are of unknown vintage), new gasoline, and maybe some attention paid to the TPS.

Even though I haven't actually driven the car anywhere in a loooong time, it has seen quite a few miles. Since 2012, we have moved from Delaware to Houston to Melbourne, FL, and now finally to Oviedo, FL.

Maybe I should host a wrenching day for Central Florida teeners. That might inspire me and others to get moving. My son (4 y.o.) tells me he wants to go for a ride in my blue car, but somebody has to get the dang thing running! headbang.gif

76-914
""but somebody has to get the dang thing running! ""

That would be you Dude! Start a thread. You know this community by now. I'm sure there are several in your area that would be happy to help out. Go ahead and order the hoses and parts that you know are needed then get the group together. Don't want help showing up w/o anything to do!
Phoenix914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 26 2014, 10:26 AM) *

""but somebody has to get the dang thing running! ""

That would be you Dude! Start a thread. You know this community by now. I'm sure there are several inn your area that would be happy to help out. Go ahead and order the hoses and parts that you know are needed then get the group together. Don't want help showing up w/o anything to do!

Of course, you're right. I have some of the parts I need for the work that needs to be done, but should just go ahead and order the rest. Since we just moved into the house about 2 months ago, things are still a bit of a mess in the garage. A couple more weekends of attention should get the area straightened up enough to make a good work space.

The current state of my garage:
IPB Image

I will start a thread, as you suggested, so things can get started!
r_towle
As hershey approaches I walk out back for the annual visit to my 914 and apologize, and promise to bring her back this year..

Maybe this will be the year.

Till then, the 911 still works for me.
Chris H.
What needs doing Rich?
r_towle
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 14 2015, 12:31 PM) *

What needs doing Rich?

Finish welding flares, paint and body work.
76-914
slap.gif You should be ashamed of yourself, Rich. Oh, wait a minute! I guess you are and hence this post. Could you use some prodding? We can provide additional ridicule if required. av-943.gif At my age it helps when I remind myself that time "is not" on my side and that every day I put it off is a day I could have enjoyed driving it. But then again, with a running 911 your motivation might be lacking. shades.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 14 2015, 05:27 PM) *

slap.gif You should be ashamed of yourself, Rich. Oh, wait a minute! I guess you are and hence this post. Could you use some prodding? We can provide additional ridicule if required. av-943.gif At my age it helps when I remind myself that time "is not" on my side and that every day I put it off is a day I could have enjoyed driving it. But then again, with a running 911 your motivation might be lacking. shades.gif

yup, and it took a year for me to update this thread....cause I am a slacker.
914_teener
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 14 2015, 03:02 PM) *

Could also be the wine-cheese and polo games.

This is known to be a cause of Non-NARPitis.
914_teener
...whoops forgot to add this poke.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 14 2015, 05:02 PM) *

Post some pics so we can really pile on Rich! biggrin.gif I'm just as bad, I have a lot of parts ready to be installed and haven't done it!
turk22

So question, if my car runs and drives, and everything 'works', am I slacker if I just keep driving it?
I have a crack free dash to put in, an nice center console, the door card kits from 914Rubber, I need to look at the longs, I need to drop the engine to clean detail the engine bay, refresh the motor, and take the trans to the good Dr., etc. etc...but I'm driving it every chance I can, enjoy it, and don't want to take it apart and risk it being out of commission for an extended period of time.

I am a slacker, aren't I? confused24.gif

Maybe when something breaks, I'll take it all apart.....
r_towle
Yup, but the first step is admitting it.
eric9144
QUOTE(turk22 @ Apr 15 2015, 06:02 PM) *

So question, if my car runs and drives, and everything 'works', am I slacker if I just keep driving it?
I have a crack free dash to put in, an nice center console, the door card kits from 914Rubber, I need to look at the longs, I need to drop the engine to clean detail the engine bay, refresh the motor, and take the trans to the good Dr., etc. etc...but I'm driving it every chance I can, enjoy it, and don't want to take it apart and risk it being out of commission for an extended period of time.

I am a slacker, aren't I? confused24.gif

Maybe when something breaks, I'll take it all apart.....

That was hilarious to read, I had to scroll up because I didn't remember posting it av-943.gif my exact scenario down to the dash in the box lol-2.gif
76-914
Well, I hate to do this (not really happy11.gif ) but It's time to call out another slacker. Chris! Oh Chris. Will you please stand up so the others here can see you. Oh there you are http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=200844 . poke.gif Coming up on 2 1/2 months since your last post. I need to do this because you were one of the 4 of us that started Suby conversions about the same time. Two are getting the crap driven out of them, one is in divorce court and the 4th one? Well ahem...this brings us to a certain blue teener locked away in some Chicago suburb's garage. stirthepot.gif
Sleepin
IPB Image

Mine's in there somewhere. Sometimes life gets in the way. I'll get to it one of these days.
EdwardBlume
I'm stuck on electrical.... sunglasses.gif
Hank914
Anytime you are driving it, I say let the repairs, mods, upgrades and rebuilds wait.

Here's to more driving.gif and less jackstands! beerchug.gif

Once it breaks down, then you can batch up all those items that got out off.

Just sayin....
76-914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jun 22 2015, 08:42 PM) *

IPB Image

Mine's in there somewhere. Sometimes life gets in the way. I'll get to it one of these days.

poke.gif You've only got 3 mo's or less.
r_towle
Still slacking here, and chris, welcome to the club of slackers.

We typically talk about meeting at one of the annual rallies but then none of us remember to sign up or go...
Chris H.
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 22 2015, 04:56 PM) *

Well, I hate to do this (not really happy11.gif ) but It's time to call out another slacker. Chris! Oh Chris. Will you please stand up so the others here can see you. Oh there you are http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=200844 . poke.gif Coming up on 2 1/2 months since your last post. I need to do this because you were one of the 4 of us that started Suby conversions about the same time. Two are getting the crap driven out of them, one is in divorce court and the 4th one? Well ahem...this brings us to a certain blue teener locked away in some Chicago suburb's garage. stirthepot.gif

Yeah, guilty as charged. Don't have a great excuse either. I did MOVE it a couple of times recently but need to get back at it.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 22 2015, 02:56 PM) *

So, she's finally taking you to court?? av-943.gif
rhodyguy
Funny. In all fairness you really can't throw the conversion under the divorce bus. I think some cars come with them along with the rust. More likely than not the 'straw the broke the camels back'.
76-914
Great news! Chris pm'd me this AM to say he will report his progress Monday. He's planning on jumping back into it this weekend. I might have gone too far when I mentioned that he was quickly overtaking RICH in the slacker race. stirthepot.gif Anyway, Chris has requested that we pm him with personal insults if he doesn't resume his conversion this weekend. And speaking of Rich, am I going to have my AC installed before you get back to work on your teener? Anyone else out there that needs a "wake up call"! sunglasses.gif
r_towle
Just checking in to report I have not done anything.
Chris H.
Technically you posted something...nice work !
76-914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 16 2016, 06:27 PM) *

Technically you posted something...nice work !

Don't encourage him Chris.
r_towle
Checking in, no progress but I am planning
eric9144
I've only done small superficial stuff and keep driving it a couple times a month... Found the last LED's to swap out my fog lights, haven't touched the brake project...pretty much all my time right now goes to this future 914 driver:
wub.gif

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 6 2011, 09:19 AM) *

Wondering if self ridicule is effective? I need to get off my ass and get this engine installed and be done!

Kev

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Man that car looks familiar....... cheer.gif
76-914
Well, I had hoped this wouldn't be necessary but I need to call out a Slacker. Calling Stephen aka 914forme; pick up line 3. There are several souls awaiting the next update and eventual completion of one certain 914 suby conversion project. In checking your build thread you haven't updated since Feb 6! WTF.gif Did they turn off your electricity or are you still babying that little finger nick? stirthepot.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.