Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building a Rotisserie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JStroud
I happen to be there when they were rolling it out of the shop, very stable rolled well, rotation was smooooth. Actually in person it's probably overkill, but it will last forever.

Nice job Mark beer.gif

Jeff
scotty b
Hey Mark I've got to build another for a 911 I have coming in next month and was concerned about mounting it under the car. Does it make it top heavy that way, or does it rotate fully without trying to take off ?
McMark
It's balanced enough to handle by myself. I had to adjust it quite a bit from where I initially built it. The center of gravity is still slightly lower than where I have it. I can detail this some more if you're interested.

It's not so much where you attach to the chassis, but how the brackets align the center of gravity of the chassis with the center of rotation of the rotisserie.
McMark
Time to build 914 fixtures since my restoration project has blossomed (see link in signature). Had this big square tube already.

Started at the body and got some 7/16" bolts that were long enough to put the attachments far away from the body to allow maximum paint access. Used some spare 1" DOM tubing for the standoffs. Welded the 7/16" washers to the end of the tubing so the bolts aren't flopping around. Cut some sections of angle iron and drilled a couple holes (held the piece up against the body at traced through the holes with a Sharpie). Bolted that all together against the body and welded the standoffs to the angle iron. The square tube was too long and I also needed the bar to go a little farther out. So I cut off the excess on either end and welded it to the angle iron, then welded the remaining tube on. The small pieces of tubing were already there, so I just left them in place. But it's already strong enough for me to stand on.
Socalandy
Did I miss it or did everyone pass on saying...

It's an Original Custom biggrin.gif Nice work first.gif

McMark
Just finished up the rear bar. Tomorrow it goes up... boldblue.gif
SirAndy
Can't wait to put this to "good" use next year ...

biggrin.gif
914Eric
Nice!

popcorn[1].gif
cary
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 22 2011, 02:07 PM) *

My advice is to use at least 5" steel caster wheels with locks.

Ditto ............... Ditto .................. Ditto

My big ass poly wheels SUCK. You can't get them started.

McMark
I'm going to try out the methods described in this article to find the true center of rotation. Hopefully this will avoid the guess-n-check-n-fix cycle for getting a good rotation. Plus this info would be easily repeatable for the next guy who builds a rotisserie.
Gint
Love the steering wheel!
McMark
914 fixtures complete! boldblue.gif

Spent a lot of time getting the balance as close as possible. The tech article I tried (link above) to find the CGH didn't pan out. I think the problem was the cheapass bathroom scales I was using. The resolution needed is much finer to get any sort of accurate measurement.

But through guess and check I found that placing the center of rotation about 1" below the 'lip' on the both the front and the rear (see pics below) yields a balanced stock 914 body (no reinforcements welded in). I can spin the car without effort and it will stop in any orientation without tightening the locking bolts. I'm really happy.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 10 2012, 08:14 PM) *

Can't wait to put this to "good" use next year ...

biggrin.gif

Can it be extended long enough to fit a limo? poke.gif
McMark
Yes. happy11.gif
KELTY360
Paint it yellow...the work will go faster!
jaxdream
What type of chassis leaning against the wall in top pic in post #62 ??? Just curiuos ... WTF.gif

Jack
McMark
Type3 VW chassis. We welded new pans on it.
jaxdream
Ahh , thought so , but wasn't 100% sure . VW work abounds in the right place , your garage !!! Great work Mark piratenanner.gif , keep it coming .Original Customs , even rotisseries !!!

Jack
FourBlades
914 Limo on the rotisserie!!! popcorn[1].gif

914 Limo on the rotisserie!!! piratenanner.gif

914 Limo on the rotisserie!!! drooley.gif

Think of the respect 914 World will get from the Porsche world for that. lol-2.gif

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.