Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BillH1963 thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
billh1963
I see the PO (utah914) is watching the thread.... How do you like the work so far? biggrin.gif
scotty b
Stripes indeed dry.gif How aboot a set of those cheesy PORSCHE rocker covers and a set of VW Empi 8 spokes too dry.gif

blink.gif unsure.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 9 2012, 10:21 PM) *

Stripes indeed dry.gif How aboot a set of those cheesy PORSCHE rocker covers and a set of VW Empi 8 spokes too dry.gif

blink.gif unsure.gif

Ouch! lol-2.gif

The plastic rockers aren't going on but the Empi's will until I get my 2.0 Fuchs polished. Then the Fuchs will be on there!
scotty b
I'll put the ducktail back on tomorrow
wingnut86
Scotty, somewhere around here I have some 70's original fuzzy dice, Cheech & Chong style, as well as a real nice skull shift knob I bought off Mad Magazine in the day.

I'll send them right up!

WAAHHHHH!
billh1963
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Dec 9 2012, 10:36 PM) *

Scotty, somewhere around here I have some 70's original fuzzy dice, Cheech & Chong style, as well as a real nice skull shift knob I bought off Mad Magazine in the day.

I'll send them right up!

WAAHHHHH!

That hurts... laugh.gif

Scoot did a lot of work decluttering the car....removing the hood badge, rear trunk spoiler, etc. I even bought steel rocker panels! I like " original" cars driving.gif
Eric_Shea
When I saw the thread title I thought it was our new VIN directory. biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 9 2012, 07:50 PM) *

dry.gif Who woke you up ?
billh1963
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 9 2012, 10:50 PM) *

I'm doing better... I did pass on one today. Although it is so nice I am wondering if I should have? Besides, if I bought a " rust free" car Scotty would get bored or disown me! poke.gif
utah914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 9 2012, 08:12 PM) *

I see the PO (utah914) is watching the thread.... How do you like the work so far? biggrin.gif

I love it! I hope you keep the spoiler off. Can't wait to see it with factory rockers and Fuchs.

Glad to see it in such good hands. smile.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(utah914 @ Dec 10 2012, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 9 2012, 08:12 PM) *

I love it! I hope you keep the spoiler off. Can't wait to see it with factory rockers and Fuchs.

Glad to see it in such good hands. smile.gif

No spoiler and will have factory rockers. No hood badge either. Pobably putting in those racing seats!
DRPHIL914
Scotty, looking sweet!
how long to cure?
how r u finishing this up? i am not familiar with the process. are you giving it a wet sand? or just a buff out and polish/wax?
scotty b
I'll giuve her a good cleaning today, and she's ready to go back to S.C. tomorrow smile.gif
billh1963
I can't wait to bring her home!

The car looks great and Scotty did an excellent job. thumb3d.gif

I was helping on the reassembly Tuesday and Wednesday and I now have a new appreciation for how tedious and time consuming that part of the job can be. Wow!

Scotty doesn't cut corners. Because I was tired and wanted to hit the road there were a few items I was willing to say, "close enough". Scott ignored me and did it right, anyway! pray.gif
Eric_Shea
Nice lines around the front trunk. Looks great!

Gud Werk smilie_pokal.gif
jersey914
Congratulations to you both! Scotty, you truly showed your expertise with this little rust buckets and Bill you showed your dedication to bringing this little teener back to life!

Good luck with it!

driving.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 11 2013, 09:58 AM) *

The lines on the car are right!

It helped that although there was rust (like they all have) it had a straight tub to begin with.

The car looks "right". All gaps are even and correct.

The fault finders will notice the mirrors are not on (just got the screws in yesterday), the windshield trim is not on completely (might have to pull the winshield to install the clips for holding the trim), and right front side marker is not on (the rubber shipment was short shipped one front side marker seal...it's supposedly on it's way)
balljoint
Nice work, nice car. thumb3d.gif
Cairo94507
Sweet! Scotty is the Man.
jersey914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 11 2013, 10:04 AM) *

It helped that although there was rust (like they all have) it had a straight tub to begin with.

The fault finders will notice the mirrors are not on (just got the screws in yesterday), the windshield trim is not on completely (might have to pull the winshield to install the clips for holding the trim), and right front side marker is not on (the rubber shipment was short shipped one front side marker seal...it's supposedly on it's way)

Bill,

Can I get you take a picture or two of the side view mirror holes before you install them. I have to drill for mine and I am trying to determine the exact location of the threaded studs. Mine have been welded over by PO.

Thanks
SUNAB914
I don't know how Scott made any money, that was a labor of love there!
billh1963
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Jan 11 2013, 11:38 AM) *

Bill,

Can I get you take a picture or two of the side view mirror holes before you install them. I have to drill for mine and I am trying to determine the exact location of the threaded studs. Mine have been welded over by PO.

Thanks

Will do...If Scott doesn't take a picture before then I'll hold a ruler up to it and take a picture.
jersey914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 11 2013, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(jersey914 @ Jan 11 2013, 11:38 AM) *

Bill,

Thanks

Will do...If Scott doesn't take a picture before then I'll hold a ruler up to it and take a picture.

Thanks Bill!
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 11 2013, 12:11 PM) *

A number of checks were written! lol-2.gif

Scott does do great work at a great price. That's why he has another one of my cars there. My process is that I bring him one when I take one back! lol-2.gif
type47
QUOTE(jersey914 @ Jan 11 2013, 08:38 AM) *

... two of the side view mirror holes before you install them. I have to drill for mine and I am trying to determine the exact location of the threaded studs. Mine have been welded over by PO.

You should take the interior door panel off and look for the 2 mounting nuts on the inside of the door. Unless they were really welded up. You could put a nail or something in the nut (maybe even drill a hole from the inside) and strike it so that it makes a mark on the outside of the door. That's, then, where you drill the holes for the mounting screws. Sorry for the hijack and hope the advice is correct (I read that procedure here or on the club board a long time ago)
jersey914
Thanks for the highjack but I have already been there and done that. The holes are full of weld and I cant get up inside to get leverage and drill carefully and accurately. I have no choice but to go in from the outside and then re tap the hole.

Thanks just the same
jbyron
Really, really impressive work. When I was looking at the pictures early in this thread, I was truly wondering if there was enough good metal to weld to. I still don't know you you did it.

Another one saved. :-)
jstill
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 11 2013, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 11 2013, 12:11 PM) *

A number of checks were written! lol-2.gif

Scott does do great work at a great price. That's why he has another one of my cars there. My process is that I bring him one when I take one back! lol-2.gif

Now I know where my money to Bill for this two spares went, you should have had me send it to Scott, lol! js
billh1963
QUOTE(jbyron @ Jan 11 2013, 03:15 PM) *

Really, really impressive work. When I was looking at the pictures early in this thread, I was truly wondering if there was enough good metal to weld to. I still don't know you you did it.

Another one saved. :-)

Unfortunately, rust is lurking on almost all these cars! Take a look at the before pictures (showing the typical rust) and then see the pictures as the work progressed and rust was discovered. I would venture to say that a very large percentage of teeners on this board have rust issues that aren't too far away (some better and some worse) from the original pictures. The good news is the rust on this car has been addressed. The bad news is that there are thousands of other 914's out there that are rusting under new paint, bondo, and fiberglass!
billh1963
QUOTE(jstill @ Jan 11 2013, 03:30 PM) *

Now I know where my money to Bill for this two spares went, you should have had me send it to Scott, lol! js

You making progress on those cars? smile.gif
scotty b
smile.gif front hole is just about dead on 9" rerar hole is 10 3/16 " and they are about exactly 3/4 " down if you hook a tape measure inside the lip
jersey914
Thanks Scotty, this helps a lot! I'll let you know how I make out!

smile.gif
wingnut86
Those black spokes would look great on your new 76' Bill;-)
billh1963
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jan 12 2013, 02:01 PM) *

Don't have a '76......yet! smile.gif
billh1963
It was a long day! Left South Carolina at 04:00 and arrived at Scotty's around 10:15. Got the car loaded and talked for a while about everybody else's crappy cars ( lol-2.gif) and hit the road for the return trip around 11:00. I-95 was closed in NC around exit 116 (don't know why) and had to take a big detour.

Got home right at dark, unloaded the car, dropped off the trailer at U-Haul and am now relaxing with a Guiness. I seldom drink; however, this is in celebration of getting the car home! beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 12 2013, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jan 12 2013, 02:01 PM) *

Don't have a '76......yet! smile.gif

There is one just listed for sale in classifieds- by camp914 poke.gif
scotty b
glad you made it home in one piece beerchug.gif
Gint
Awesome! That makes me want to get my zambeziteen painted.
Spoke
Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Nice job Scotty!
BajaXJ92
Damnit, I wanted to see it all back together. sad.gif

Slightly jealous, Bill. beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 13 2013, 12:19 AM) *

Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Nice job Scotty!

Nope, it is missing the orange peel smile.gif
jbyron
Congrats, Bill. Just fantastic. Very happy for you. May it bring you countless miles joy.
jstill
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 11 2013, 02:39 PM) *

Shop full of Land Rover for two more weeks. Should start to strip donor in the next few weeks. I predict Summer before the white one is out in driver condition but I've an embarassment of toys to play with while I work at it.

Did you add the stiffners when all the rust repair were underway? If not do you think it is not worth the effort? js
billh1963
QUOTE(jstill @ Jan 13 2013, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 11 2013, 02:39 PM) *

Shop full of Land Rover for two more weeks. Should start to strip donor in the next few weeks. I predict Summer before the white one is out in driver condition but I've an embarassment of toys to play with while I work at it.

Did you add the stiffners when all the rust repair were underway? If not do you think it is not worth the effort? js

No stiffeners. I don't autocross or race and since all my rust is fixed I don't need them!

SUNAB914
Don't hit the door on the trailor fender! DOH!
It was probably the secret service that rear ended someone on 95!
Car looks really great. i just bought another this weekend. I think wife is pissed.
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 14 2013, 11:18 AM) *

Car looks really great. i just bought another this weekend. I think wife is pissed.

Did you get that '75?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 14 2013, 11:31 AM) *

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Jan 14 2013, 11:18 AM) *

Did you get that '75?

Show us Chris! Which one did you get?
FourBlades

Congrats! piratenanner.gif

Great looking car.

John
DBCooper
You "think" the wife is pissed? Then she's not pissed. When she's pissed you'll know, I guarantee it.
SUNAB914
its in the garage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.