Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BillH1963 thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
MDG
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 31 2012, 05:12 PM) *

Bill, you are a good man for financing Scotty's lavish lifestyle like this smile.gif

poke.gif

He actually has somebody to cut the crusts off his sandwiches now.

What you've done so far looks great, Scotty!! smilie_pokal.gif
billh1963

Bill, you are a good man for financing Scotty's lavish lifestyle like this smile.gif

poke.gif

Ouch!... biggrin.gif

I hope Scott doesn't find any more surprises! The suspension rust was a big one! barf.gif

On a serious note, there are lots of advantages to having a professional like Scott do the work:
1. It's done right the first time. No half-ass home repairs or bodged repairs by someone not familiar with a 914
2. Because he knows the car, he will get the job done in less time
3. Scott stands behind his work
4. If I were to ever sell the car some day, reputations help. This car has Bodywork by Scott, transmission by Dr. Evil, engine tuning by Bob Woodman, etc.
5. I'll probably bring him my '76 next. I'll get a the volume discount (hint, hint)!
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 31 2012, 06:12 PM) *

poke.gif

Ouch!... biggrin.gif

I hope Scott doesn't find any more surprises! The suspension rust was a big one! barf.gif

On a serious note, there are lots of advantages to having a professional like Scott do the work:
1. It's done right the first time. No half-ass home repairs or bodged repairs by someone not familiar with a 914
2. Because he knows the car, he will get the job done in less time
3. Scott stands behind his work
4. If I were to ever sell the car some day, reputations help. This car has Bodywork by Scott, transmission by Dr. Evil, engine tuning by Bob Woodman, etc.
5. I'll probably bring him my '76 next. I'll get a the volume discount (hint, hint)!

agree.gif

Many of us on the east coast have never driven a solid 914.
SUNAB914
It's like cancer.
billh1963
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ May 31 2012, 07:15 PM) *

It's like cancer.

This car has cancer.... barf.gif

Chris...just took your car out for a 20 mile drive. It was awesome! You missing it, yet? happy11.gif
hot_shoe914
Yup, Christine is in great shape compared to that rust bucket. Sadly though, I am still commited to making her a parts car. sawzall-smiley.gif
type47
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 31 2012, 06:54 PM) *

..., I am still commited to making her a parts car. sawzall-smiley.gif

slap.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 1 2012, 08:25 AM) *

slap.gif

I agree....if it's so good why wouldn't you sell the car and give someone a chance to restore it? From your signature the car is a '73 2.0....which is very desireable.
scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 1 2012, 05:14 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 1 2012, 08:25 AM) *

slap.gif

I agree....if it's so good why wouldn't you sell the car and give someone a chance to restore it? From your signature the car is a '73 2.0....which is very desireable.

I have seen Christine.....Donald has issues. From his own tag line. Put down the pipe Charlie Donald poke.gif

1973 2.0 Christine - Fresh 2056 running great. About to break in half from rust.
Cohibra45
Next dumb question.........Do you ever do (or have done) a full media blast of the body? Is it more or less expensive than using your 'lie detector'? I'm sure it's more expensive, but in the long run, you find all the issues at once. Or am I wrong? Is the full media blasting for color changes only?

Scotty, it's great work as usual. Just wondered how much media blasting vs 'lie detecting' might save time and therefore money?

Thanks,

Kelly
JmuRiz
I need to learn how to weld, I think it'd be so fun to be able to do this kind of work.
Spoke
Nice work Scotty.
scotty b
QUOTE(Cohibra45 @ Jun 1 2012, 07:34 AM) *

Next dumb question.........Do you ever do (or have done) a full media blast of the body? Is it more or less expensive than using your 'lie detector'? I'm sure it's more expensive, but in the long run, you find all the issues at once. Or am I wrong? Is the full media blasting for color changes only?

Scotty, it's great work as usual. Just wondered how much media blasting vs 'lie detecting' might save time and therefore money?

Thanks,

Kelly

full blasting is all in what the customer wants to do with the car. In most cases like Bills car the knotted wire brush gets the brunt of the use
billh1963
If this had been a concours worthy car I might have done the bare metal respray. This car is never going to be that.
hot_shoe914
I agree....if it's so good why wouldn't you sell the car and give someone a chance to restore it? From your signature the car is a '73 2.0....which is very desireable

Mostly due to the fact that some time before I got her, somebody welded the front half of a '70 model onto the back half of the '73. If all the vins were matching I would save her. I would still save her ifI could afford it but I am struggling to pay for the two I already have at Scotty's and still doing a very poor job of that. Plus, I still have an LE that needs to go there in a few years when the others are done and paid for. Probably sometime after my death and if my daughter doesn't blow all the life insurance money.
scotty b
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
billh1963
You are one busy man! How many cars do you have going at once? I count at least three...wow! pray.gif

Looking good....I love the look of all that shiny metal! drooley.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 19 2012, 03:43 PM) *

You are one busy man! How many cars do you have going at once? I count at least three...wow! pray.gif

Yes 3 full timers right now. I still have Mark Epsteines, Dr. Evils, Hotshoes and a 911 racecar in line, as well as a few I lined up this weekend wacko.gif I need some cheap labor unsure.gif
hot_shoe914
I need some cheap labor

Want me to call Bob's(Saigon71) job and see if I can get him fired?
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 19 2012, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 19 2012, 03:43 PM) *

Yes 3 full timers right now. I still have Mark Epsteines, Dr. Evils, Hotshoes and a 911 racecar in line, as well as a few I lined up this weekend wacko.gif I need some cheap labor unsure.gif

It's good people are spending money on their 914's...just makes it rough when they hit all at once. It's a nice problem to have! biggrin.gif

I have at least one more (maybe two) I want to bring you this Fall. One is for minor body work. Another is my '76 that has some rust...but I don't think it's as bad as the green one.

Also, I'm thinking of a high quality paint job on the white car you saw on the trailer during the transmission clinic. That car is a low mileage original and is probably show worthy.

I'll let you get caught up before I overwhelm you with details!
MDG
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 19 2012, 07:58 PM) *

I need some cheap labor

av-943.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 19 2012, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 19 2012, 07:58 PM) *

I need some cheap labor

av-943.gif

dry.gif I heard his boss is a prick, it should be easy to get him canned.

Seriously, great work Scotty...following closely to pick up more tips. beerchug.gif

DRPHIL914
popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
Sorry about some of the later pics, but the flash on my camera stopped working sad.gif
billh1963
Looking good! Looks like paint isn't too far away!
scotty b
welder.gif second pic shows how the engine shelf needs to be sliced and reshaped to fit. everything got a healthy shot of undercoating, but I let Andy take that picture unsure.gif
billh1963
Quite a transformation from what it was before. I knew you were the guy for the job. biggrin.gif

While you are in there you might as well polish up those rear suspension pieces! poke.gif

Just Kidding!

billh1963
On another note...what are you using for undercoating? Looks like two different paints/primers and then an undercoat?
scotty b
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:46 AM) *

On another note...what are you using for undercoating? Looks like two different paints/primers and then an undercoat?

Etch primed everything, then seam sealed all of the joints. Since this is going to be driven regularly I put a light coat of seam sealer over everything below the engine shelf for added protection. Then a coat of black epoxy paint, then the undercoating. Here you can see better where the seam sealer was brushed on then the black paint before the undercoating
nathansnathan
This is awesome. Very cool that you reused the interties. -I thought I was the only one crazy enough to try that - it is a lot of weld to grind through! biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
icon_bump.gif

all done with the sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif ?

last post one month ago, thought maybe if it were easier to find, we might get some updated pics on your progress, Scotty ! poke.gif

I know you have like 4 projects going on right now at the same time,-
Amazing how much hidden rust these have, makes me think there is no such thing as a rust free 914

looking forward to the rest.

pw
scotty b
I guess I should have ground the mud off of the trunk before I welded the holes shut dry.gif
scotty b
In other news welder.gif
billh1963
Wow! Starting to come together! Pretty soon it will look like a car again!
scotty b
welder.gif
billh1963
Looks like paintwork won't be far behind!
scotty b
Metal work is all done and I have gotten a good start on the body work. gave the heat shield a quick wire brush, ospho and high tempp black before welding it back in. I'm planning on getting the engine bay painted next week and finishing up the body work.
SUNAB914
Sweet work!
turk22
amazing to see this car morph from rust to metal again! pray.gif

What seam sealer are you using, is it available to poor slobs like me??

wingnut86
Bill, you should have bought my 72', plenty of good metal left on her...

lol-2.gif

Great work Scotty first.gif

scotty b
QUOTE(turk22 @ Sep 12 2012, 01:45 PM) *

amazing to see this car morph from rust to metal again! pray.gif

What seam sealer are you using, is it available to poor slobs like me??

What you see is a 3M sprayable seam sealer that uses a special gun to duplicate factory ribbons and spray patterns, but on jobs that aren't to be " perfect " it works well in a caulk gun and just brush it over the cracks. Even when I spray it, I make my first coat a brush on like this so I know it has gotten into the seam, not just layed overtop of it.

This is just one of the problems I have noticed on these cars over the years. the factories ( Porsche and Karmann ) used good quality seam sealer, BUT they sprayed it on very heavy, and due to it's thickness it never flowed into the cracks between panels. This left a void that water could get into if the seam sealer was ever damaged. By brushing the first layer in, I can cram it into the crack, and also make certain I have a good complete bond over the joints without any voids. On a show type job, I would then go over this brushed on coat with the spray gun just to get the proper factory look
balljoint
mellow.gif
DRPHIL914
Bill, you said in another thread(BBQ at Scotty B's) you might be picking this up., dropping off another- which one are you taking up?

pw
scotty b
Got some color started yesterday. Given the condition of Bills rear lid, we dicided to swap it out for a good one I have in my stash. Engine bay and rear trunk will be done by mid week. Hoping to get the whole car shot by the ECC unsure.gif
billh1963
Looking good! Can't wait to see the car finished!
FourBlades

Love watching your work! welder.gif

That one will be ready for 40+ more years on the road. driving.gif

John
cary
Nice work Scotty.

What do you use to cut out the bad sections ? They're so square. And you don't seem to disturb the rest of the panel much.
scotty b
3" .30 cutoff wheels. I go through a LOT of those damned things at 2.00 a pop blink.gif
Cairo94507
Damn....I am dying to see my chassis blasted so I can see the rust work begin. Very nice work and Scott's description of the seam sealer first being brushed on to get into the cracks is exactly the kind of attention to detail I like and why my car is at Scott's.
scotty b
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.