happy11.gif
scotty b
jgh
scotty b
playing around with my pocket cam settings we get the fisheye-14

followed by the posterized-14

then my artsy fartsy shot
billh1963
Stop taking pictures...the more you take the more expensive it gets! barf.gif poke.gif

Looks like you have some work ahead of you! welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
naro914
LOL. The first 4 pictures looked like a really nice solid car...until the rest of them....
billh1963
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 3 2012, 09:27 AM) *

LOL. The first 4 pictures looked like a really nice solid car...until the rest of them....

Yep. Unfortunately, I bet many members who think they have "solid" cars will be facing the same thing. sad.gif

They just don't go looking for all the rust
SLITS
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 3 2012, 06:32 AM) *

Yep. Unfortunately, I bet many members who think they have "solid" cars will be facing the same thing. sad.gif

Which is why I don't look ... av-943.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 3 2012, 09:32 AM) *

here we go!!! another 2 year thread? poke.gif (i know scotty can knock this out much quicker - if he gets paid that is lol-2.gif
so.. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif welder.gif
76-914
Scotty, how soon before you start the trunk repair. I'm getting ready to do my rear trunk area and will watch and learn, hopefully. Take plenty of pic's.
SUNAB914
That looks like alot of work and $$$. Bill, you won't find any on the white beast.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 3 2012, 05:32 AM) *

Nope. I looked. biggrin.gif It's not there. Great that you're saving it. You took it to the right place!
billh1963
I'm sure Scotty will get this squared away. Hopefully, we won't be too far off the "worst case" estimate he gave me! Scotty has seen enough of these that he told me up front that the rust would be worse than I thought it would be.

I have seen (and bought) enough 914's in my short experience with these cars that I now believe what several "experts" have said. ALL unrestored 914's have rust...it's just a matter of how bad.
type47
Interesting "Campaign" sticker.... fuel line replacement?
billh1963
Just dropped $1500 in new sheet metal! This car will be solid after Scott is done!
rwilner
you have your work cut out for you...or should I say...there is cut out work for you
scotty b
blink.gif
scotty b
blink.gif
scotty b
blink.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Cairo94507
OMG! I sure hope that we are not viewing another thread here in the next month that looks like that with my car. My car actually arrives at Scotty's shop in the morning - 5/21/12. Let's not forget that I live pretty close to the Golden Gate Bridge...... w00t.gif

Take comfort that Scotty is on the job and has your car well in hand.
scotty b
Bill's metal arrived friday from Resto design. He orderd it on Tuesday mornign and it was in Va by Thursday ! From Canada to VA in only 3 days blink.gif . I can't say enough aboot those Canuks smile.gif beerchug.gif

Look for pics of all the hole plugging later this week welder.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 20 2012, 10:11 PM) *

OMG! I sure hope that we are not viewing another thread here in the next month that looks like that with my car. My car actually arrives at Scotty's shop in the morning - 5/21/12. Let's not forget that I live pretty close to the Golden Gate Bridge...... w00t.gif

Take comfort that Scotty is on the job and has your car well in hand.

For your sake I hope not either! Some rust we knew about going in ( hell hole, fenders, rear trunk, etc.). Other areas were a complete surprise such as the floor pan and firewall. Once the disassembly starts on a car who knows what will be found.
saigon71
Quite a project! Keep the camera rolling Scotty. beerchug.gif

sixnotfour
Out of curiosity , how much $$ is this thought to cost ?? for repair.
ball park .
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 21 2012, 10:28 AM) *

Out of curiosity , how much $$ is this thought to cost ?? for repair.
ball park .

I used to have 3 children. Had to sell one to fund the teener. It's about that much.
billh1963
More than I paid for the car, that's for sure! sad.gif
scotty b
welder.gif
scotty b
annnnnnnnnnd then I ran out of welding wire headbang.gif

More tomorrow or saturday smile.gif
seanery
what was that thing in the sail panel?
mepstein
That's where Porsche injected the rust monster,
TargaToy
Scotty, what did you spray inside the left long where the rear heater tube goes thru?

Something silver-ish?
billh1963
Wow! Great progress.... Looks like you are on a roll !
Dr Evil
Always impressive smile.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(TargaToy @ May 24 2012, 10:42 PM) *

Scotty, what did you spray inside the left long where the rear heater tube goes thru?

Something silver-ish?

Looks like it oversprayed on the tire. I hope that comes off easily... tires are almost new. unsure.gif

I really like the look of the new metal. That rust was bad news. With Scotty"s rust finding abilities and repair skills I am confident that I will have one of the most rust free 914's in SC. Seriously.... aktion035.gif

I can't wait for the paint. I know it will make the rest of the car look tired. This will lead to new seals, interior, etc$$$$$$
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 24 2012, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(TargaToy @ May 24 2012, 10:42 PM) *

Something silver-ish?

Looks like it oversprayed on the tire. I hope that comes off easily... tires are almost new. unsure.gif

I really like the look of the new metal. That rust was bad news. With Scotty"s rust finding abilities and repair skills I am confident that I will have one of the most rust free 914's in SC. Seriously.... aktion035.gif

Well, that wouldn't be too hard , no competition from me on that- i need the same treatmen! But it will have to wait...

Looking good Bill, the car is in good hsnds!
billh1963
Phil,
Talk to Scotty and see if he has an opening this summer. You rent the car trailer and I'll tow your car to Virginia when I pick up mine! biggrin.gif
MDG
thumb3d.gif Go, Scotty, go!

As always, just great.
hot_shoe914
Damn, the car makes Christine look rust free. And here I was going to chop her up. Not so sure now, she will be an easy fix compared to that one.
scotty b
what was that thing in the sail panel?

That is the piece of foam they put in at the factory to prevent squeaks or some other ridiculous b.s. That is the ONLY why the sail panels rot out

Areas like that ad the spot on the sail panel get wire brusehd, a coat of OSPHO ( which is what you are reffering to ) and then a coat of rustoleum

Looks like it oversprayed on the tire. I hope that comes off easily... tires are almost new.

No overspray on the tire, that's just dust from grinding out the bondo in the 1/4 panel smile.gif

Damn, the car makes Christine look rust free. And here I was going to chop her up. Not so sure now, she will be an easy fix compared to that one.

Put down the crack pipe Donald dry.gif
Dr Evil
"Put down the crack pipe Donald"

av-943.gif
nathansnathan
good stuff, inspiring to see.
jwhcars
This may be a dumb question but how do
you stop the rust left on the inside.
Dr Evil
That is what the OSPHO and rustoleum is for. Also, if you can keep the moisture from being trapped back there, like in removing the foam, then the rust slows that is not treated.
scotty b
I swung Bills car around to get started on the drivers side today, jacked it up, took off the wheel, and noticed this barf.gif

Then I pulled out the lie detector and hit the inside edge. It LOOKED perfectly fine until the undercooating and paint came off headbang.gif

Don't order anything Bill, I actually have a new suspension console left form a couple years ago that was never used
scotty b
On a positive note the trunk is now in, and just needs to be seam sealed and painted smile.gif

ALso rough cut out the floor pan to get ready to do all the repairs in that corner
billh1963
Ouch! You better quit digging....looks like the rust is Spreading up in Virginia! poke.gif

I'm glad toy found it now rather than I find it it the hard way later. sawzall-smiley.gif
scotty b
Put the lie detector to work again barf.gif

then got to cutting, fitting and welding
Dr Evil
Bill, you are a good man for financing Scotty's lavish lifestyle like this smile.gif

poke.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 31 2012, 01:12 PM) *

Bill, you are a good man for financing Scotty's lavish lifestyle like this smile.gif

poke.gif

dry.gif finger.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.