Full Version: D-Jet MPS Diaphragm Replacement/Tuning Kits - In Stock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 9 2012, 05:52 PM) *

Posted now to the Volvo 1800

Excellent!

I'm re-posting this so the information is on this page as well as the last:

Introductory Price of $97.95 is good from now thru July 31, 2012.
I expect to atart shipping kits by late August if I get enough sales quickly.
(I need about 100 orders, have 23 as of 07/09/12)

A Tuning Kit is available with a special hollow 7mm hex tool, small flat blade screwdriver, and new Full Throttle Stop Screw.
Tuning Kit introductory price - $42.95
Both Kits Together - $132.95
Prices include shipping.
Order using Paypal from our Whats New Page.

DRPHIL914
I am one too, Chris. I need to get two, but dont think i can swing it right now. I was hoping they would be a little less. sad.gif . I am certainly thankful that you have come up.with this solution!

Phil
cary
I need to add 2 throttle stop screws.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 9 2012, 10:57 PM) *

I need to add 2 throttle stop screws.

I will be selling the stop screws and the hollow hex drivers separately, once I have inventory.
JRust
Just ordered both from your site & paid with Paypal. Thanks for setting this up. Hopefully we will get everybody else commited too.

I will be interested in somebody willing to do the rebuild too. I'll check with Bleysing (Geoff) . Anybody else do them?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 10 2012, 11:45 AM) *

Just ordered both from your site & paid with Paypal.

Thanks Jamie!
I got an order from the first Volvo owner this morning too. beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
Here's a model of the new stop screw.
Solidworks won't draw the M16 external threads though.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
FYI- One lister on the benzworld.org site questions if Benz MPS diaphrams are identical to the Porsche design? Do we know for certain? He also suggests that used Benz MPS units are plentiful and cheap. Any insight?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-...tml#post5330100
ChrisFoley
I'd be surprised if the diaphragm is much different, but it should be easy enough to purchase a MB unit, knowing they're plentiful, and pull it apart for analysis.

Edit: I'm watching one on eBay with a starting price of $35, 6 days to go.
nathansnathan
It looks the same. Here's the 914 diaphragm from pbanders
IPB Image

and from a writeup by a merc guy
IPB Image

Here's the thread for that. They are looking for a manufacturer of the diaphragm there, too. smile.gif
http://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/manifold...repair-attempt/
76-914
icon_bump.gif PayPal'd for 2 tonight, Chris beerchug.gif
ChrisFoley
31 Paid.
69 to go
brant
Chris,

thanks again for taking this monumental project on...
order in
brant
76-914
I got a refund for overpayment. It's nice dealing with honest people. Especially with my math skills. biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 18 2012, 09:01 PM) *

I got a refund for overpayment. It's nice dealing with honest people. Especially with my math skills. biggrin.gif

You didn't make a mistake. It was because you ordered two diaphragm kits.
Anytime a customer orders multiple items and I can save them a few $$ by packing in one box, I refund the excess shipping paid. smile.gif
pilothyer
Hey Chris....I am in for the Combo Kit, Pay Pal sent, and will try to order another one before July's end. Will I need to order another tool kit to get the FTS Screw?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Jul 20 2012, 09:08 AM) *

Hey Chris....I am in for the Combo Kit, Pay Pal sent, and will try to order another one before July's end. Will I need to order another tool kit to get the FTS Screw?

Thanks Jerry! We're offically past the 1/3 mark to get the diaphragms made.

I'll be selling the stop screws separately once I have them in stock, so you don't need to buy a second tuning kit.
zymurgist
I'm in for 1 combo kit.
ChrisFoley
My Mercedes MPS arrived today!
Bosch P/N 0 280 100 100
76-914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 25 2012, 07:05 AM) *

Bosch P/N 0 280 100 100

and..........?
SLITS
Used on Mercedes Benz 4.5L engines between 1971 - 1975.

001 = VW 311
003 = VW/Porsche
007 = VW 311
009 = Saab
012 = Mercedes Benz
035 = Volvo
037 = VW/Porsche
041 = Porsche 1.7
043 = VW/Porsche
049 = VW/Porsche
053 = Volvo
054 = Volvo
056 = Volvo
059 = Volvo
100 = as above
106 = VW
111 = Mercedes Benz
116 = VW

Just a few to choose from ......... I actually show at least 52 different numbers on MPSs.
FourBlades

Hey Ron where are you getting these part numbers from?

John
SLITS
I am a core supplier and have the Bosch ESI CD set.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 25 2012, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 25 2012, 07:05 AM) *

Bosch P/N 0 280 100 100

and..........?

...and I hooked it up to my car for a quick test.
The engine starts but needs some throttle to keep it going.
The O2 gauge says it's lean, and judging by how poorly it ran I concur.
It was bad enough that I didn't bother with a road test.
ChrisFoley
I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the exterior has some obvious differences and took the cover off and see just what the internal differences are.
If I was paying more attention I would have already known to expect something was up. The cover isn't as big as on our MPS units, there is no full load stop screw epoxied in place, and there are no vent holes.

The first thing I noticed inside is that the aneroid cell doesn't fall out. WTF.gif
Its attached to the cover somehow.
In fact, there is no diaphragm, and it appears that the in-hex screw on the end simply moves the aneroid cell in and out to adjust the inductance range. unsure.gif
Without any vents, the entire chamber is exposed to manifold pressure.
914_teener
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 25 2012, 11:41 AM) *

I didn't pay much attention to the fact that the exterior has some obvious differences and took the cover off and see just what the internal differences are.
If I was paying more attention I would have already known to expect something was up. The cover isn't as big as on our MPS units, there is no full load stop screw epoxied in place, and there are no vent holes.

The first thing I noticed inside is that the aneroid cell doesn't fall out. WTF.gif
Its attached to the cover somehow.
In fact, there is no diaphragm, and it appears that the in-hex screw on the end simply moves the aneroid cell in and out to adjust the inductance range. unsure.gif
Without any vents, the entire chamber is exposed to manifold pressure.

Yep....Brad Anders site:

Note that Mercedes-Benz went a different way with their early Bosch pressure sensors (e.g. 0 280 100 100). These sensors also lacked a full-load diaphragm and used a contact in the throttle switch to sense the full-load condition. The sensor also used a unique pressure cell design where one cell was evacuated, and the other was connected to atmospheric pressure by a hollow screw (also used for the part-load mixture adjustment). The atmospheric cell enabled this sensor to correct the mixture for altitude variations.
ChrisFoley
I adjusted the unit to richen the mixture and my engine ran much better, but it didn't respond properly over the full range of load and rpm.
Notably, it went lean under load at higher rpms.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 25 2012, 03:46 PM) *

I adjusted the unit to richen the mixture and my engine ran much better, but it didn't respond properly over the full range of load and rpm.
Notably, it went lean under load at higher rpms.

Full load stop screws were ordered from my machinist last week.
But we need a lot more repair kit orders before the diaphragms can be made.

See my signature line for a link to the Tangerine Racing webpage to place your order.
Krieger
Order placed! Thanks for supporting our habit! beer3.gif
brant
bump...

I hope all of the posters in this thread follow through with their verbal commitments...

this is an amazing product that we have been asking to have reproduced for a decade now....

it would be an absolute shame to not reach the minimum orders to produce this!

ThinAir
I'd committed to one, but finally got around to paying just now. It's still 7/31 in Mountain Standard Time :-)
shoguneagle
We are very, very fortunate to have vendors such as Racer Chris who are willing to take on and develop extremely high quality parts. The lack of units such as this one is one main reason I went on to build a Sixer instead of staying with the Four. I have purchased from Chris other parts and they are well thought out and the highest quality.

If you have a need for this part, please get it from Chris. He provides some of the best service and support one can find.

I just may have to start another project next year and build a stock four with D-Jet injection.

Got to keep this thread alive until the majic "100" is reached.

Steve
Highland
Just wondering what the status was on our orders.

Thanks.
Jacob
Kind of lost track of this thread. Glad to hear we have a way to rebuild the MPS! Ordered mine tonight.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Highland @ Aug 13 2012, 04:47 PM) *

Just wondering what the status was on our orders.

Thanks.

This is taking longer than I had hoped, but I'm still optimistic.

My break even point is about 140, but I'm prepared to have diaphragms stamped with 100 orders or less in hand.
Meanwhile I'm accumulating the smaller pieces so kits can be assembled and shipped quickly.
smile.gif
I have 42 diaphragm kits paid for as of today, thanks Jacob.
Krieger
Thanks for doing this. I'm sending someone to you for fuel lines to help subsidize this project
Any luck with any of the other cars out there that use this diaphram?
Java2570
I ordered my repair and tune up kits last night; also took apart my leaking MPS and found that the diaphragm had been previously patched at the flange. It looked like a pro job but obviously found a
way to start leaking again. Following the info on the Anders site, the dis-assembly process was really
pretty easy....just took about an hour of being patient and not forcing the thing. It's all ready for a
new diaphragm! Oh and mine looks like brass, not copper...
ChrisFoley
Another Volvo owner dropped out and asked for his money back. sad.gif
That puts us at 45.

On a more positive note, business has been good lately and I may be able to order the tooling before we reach 100 orders.
However, for anyone on the fence here, you should buy now while the price is good. Today is the last day at the current discounted price.
I'm seriously considering raising the regular retail price above what I posted previously, in order to offset the extremely long term before I see a return on investment.

DRPHIL914
Chris,
i just ordered 2 kits about 10 minutes ago piratenanner.gif

Due to the storms and rain - flooding we have had internet inteription for several days. Hadnt been able to get connection till tonight. Finally got my phone to work sorry about it being the last minute.
Phil
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 31 2012, 11:10 PM) *

Chris,
i just ordered 2 kits about 10 minutes ago piratenanner.gif

Thanks Philip.
Your order plus one more received last night puts us at 48 units sold.

After Labor Day the Diaphragm Kit price goes up to $127.95 thru Sept.
The regular price will be $139.95.

Quantity discounts will be available for vendors.

The Tuning Kit price remains at $46.95.
Combined price for both kits is less $7.95.

Webpage link for Paypal is in my signature.
ChrisFoley
A few more units sold thru the holiday weekend. smile.gif
I'm placing my order for diaphragm stampings this week in spite of not reaching the pre-production sales goal. sunglasses.gif
Java2570
Excellent news!! Thanks Chris beer.gif
jsayre914
Hurry up bro....

I have been waiting 33 years for this kit.

popcorn[1].gif
Highland
Just wondering if there was any update for kit delivery times.

Thanks.
ChrisFoley
The only part I've gotten word on from my vendors is the full load stop screws which are being shipped to me now.
No other updates available.
billh1963
Any updates?
76-914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 6 2012, 08:11 AM) *

A few more units sold thru the holiday weekend. smile.gif
I'm placing my order for diaphragm stampings this week in spite of not reaching the pre-production sales goal. sunglasses.gif

Sweet. Thx again, Chris. I'll bet orders pick up when peeps begin reporting the results.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 23 2012, 08:43 AM) *

Any updates?

Waiting for the diaphragms.
76-914
icon_bump.gif Don't forget to order one of these or at least add one to your Christmas wish list.
914Eric
Nice...I would like 1 please.

Have no idea what condition mine is in yet, but even if I find out it's OK in a month or three, it won't be forever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.