Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2013 Parade: Went over my Score Sheet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3
orthobiz
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 2 2013, 08:35 AM) *

They also should be aware of the changes from one model year to the other in regard to something like a tool kit. If we know about it, they should too, and if they don't they should not be judging! Just because they may be experts in say the 911 line does not qualify them to judge 914, 356 etc (IMHO)

I suppose for you, if you had the original window sticker it may have shown them these items in question were indeed on the car at purchase time?

oh, and congradulations!!!

Thanks for the kudos. The window sticker is long gone. The judges were fairly knowledgable but 356/911/914 is a broad range to know "everything" about indeed.

Paul
orthobiz
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 2 2013, 09:26 AM) *

As my 914-6 is a Euro version imported from Switzerland, I prepared a notebook of all my import material, to supplement my COA, and a section listing all the differences between my 6 and a standard US version, complete with references to other sources (ie. factory manuals/parts catalogues and third party books).

At time of judging, I made it available to the chief judge. I believe it did make a difference. Of the two parades I competed in the majority of the judges were very knowledgeable with the 914 model, and did check my documentation.

The idea of the notebook came from John Paterak.

If I ever show again, I'll bring a book. It's a great idea.

Paul
mrgreenjeans
Paul

we talked a bit about this tool kit and center console briefly before I had to run away and abandon you on the way to photoshoot friend Steve's amazing Grey Beige 73 - 911.

I have a complete tool bag, new never opened that was in my 60,000 mile original 74- 2.0 litre. When I opened it for the first time the spindly, original black rubber band gave its all and disintegrated into 2 pieces.
BUT, I was now able to enter the 'cloistered room' of a tool bag that had never been opened previously. This was in 1994 , the same Fall I acquired my yellow car.
There within were all the original tools, appearing as they did when put there 20 years previously. At the time I also had a 1978 VW Vanagon with the rare double sunroof and multi-passenger seating arrangement in two tone sepia and orange, with the wild '70's style stripe kit running down the sides.

There in its glove box was the EXACT same tool bag , with the exact same number of tools and the same rubber band in black that was to hold the bag together, but had been put inside the pouch.......

After a careful comparison of said arrangement, and safely keeping each tool for each vehicle out of the other bag....... I came to an astonishing conclusion.

Anyone else here have the same knowledge and possibly a similar experience ?
TJB/914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 25 2013, 09:24 PM) *

Been super busy at home, hope to post a few pics soon.

It was a great day for sure!

Paul

Hi Guys & thanks for everyone's Kudo's.
Here's my opinion on Parade. confused24.gif
I entered my 914 in full restoration thinking only a few 914's would be in my class & guess what!!! My 914 was the only one in my class. I got 1st. place with a total score of 290.8 out of a possible 300 score. I did very, very good. There were about 700 cars on the concourse field with about 2% in full restoration. One of the judges said people don't like full restoration anymore, it's too demanding!!! I guess-estimated about 80% ++ of the cars on the field were current 1-2 year old or new Porsche's including SUV Cayenne's. Old stuff is only window dressing for the total Parade experience. I had the feeling newer Porsche people were not interested in our 914's. They walked past our display & never seemed interested. For the 25% crowd with 356, 911, 914 & special interest cars drawing their groupies, it was an earth moving experience. Ask Eric av-943.gif Paul happy11.gif Hawk flag.gif Tom santa_smiley.gif etc. popcorn[1].gif hissyfit.gif laugh.gif sheeplove.gif chair.gif mad.gif piratenanner.gif WTF.gif
More:
In my opinion Paul's 914 in preservation got shafted over the 911 that was pictured in Panorama. Porsche politics in action. We are moving up the social PCA ladder, but 911's rule. 914's did very well & we should be proud of the (7) 914's on the field. I met Pete Stout at Parade & he will be a great leader @ PCA (Pete owns a 914). PCA is an important arm of the Porsche factory sales dept. selling expensive Porsche cars. Panorama will always be loaded with newer Porsche articles to satisfy the factory & the 80% ++ deep pocket new buyers. It is what it is stirthepot.gif I believe Pete will throw in a 914 article when possible.

BTW: My opinions the way I see it type.gif I like the new 2013-4 Cayman and it will be my next future toy if someone wants to purchase my 914 for about $35K rolleyes.gif I took the 914 out for a donut run this morning in low 60's morning cool temps. and fell in love with my 914 all over again (see photo). 2nd gear pulls strong & the loud muffler sounded good.

Tom

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Aug 24 2013, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 25 2013, 09:24 PM) *

Been super busy at home, hope to post a few pics soon.

It was a great day for sure!

Paul

Hi Guys & thanks for everyone's Kudo's.
Here's my opinion on Parade. confused24.gif
I entered my 914 in full restoration thinking only a few 914's would be in my class & guess what!!! My 914 was the only one in my class. I got 1st. place with a total score of 290.8 out of a possible 300 score. I did very, very good. There were about 700 cars on the concourse field with about 2% in full restoration. One of the judges said people don't like full restoration anymore, it's too demanding!!! I guess-estimated about 80% ++ of the cars on the field were current 1-2 year old or new Porsche's including SUV Cayenne's. Old stuff is only window dressing for the total Parade experience. I had the feeling newer Porsche people were not interested in our 914's. They walked past our display & never seemed interested. For the 25% crowd with 356, 911, 914 & special interest cars drawing their groupies, it was an earth moving experience. Ask Eric av-943.gif Paul happy11.gif Hawk flag.gif Tom santa_smiley.gif etc. popcorn[1].gif hissyfit.gif laugh.gif sheeplove.gif chair.gif mad.gif piratenanner.gif WTF.gif
More:
In my opinion Paul's 914 in preservation got shafted over the 911 that was pictured in Panorama. Porsche politics in action. We are moving up the social PCA ladder, but 911's rule. 914's did very well & we should be proud of the (7) 914's on the field. I met Pete Stout at Parade & he will be a great leader @ PCA (Pete owns a 914). PCA is an important arm of the Porsche factory sales dept. selling expensive Porsche cars. Panorama will always be loaded with newer Porsche articles to satisfy the factory & the 80% ++ deep pocket new buyers. It is what it is stirthepot.gif I believe Pete will throw in a 914 article when possible.

BTW: My opinions the way I see it type.gif I like the new 2013-4 Cayman and it will be my next future toy if someone wants to purchase my 914 for about $35K rolleyes.gif I took the 914 out for a donut run this morning in low 60's morning cool temps. and fell in love with my 914 all over again (see photo). 2nd gear pulls strong & the loud muffler sounded good.

Tom

290.8! So, I assume you lost points for polished alloys & euro turn signal lenses.
It really boggles my mind that there is so little enthusiasm for the older Porsches at the Parade level. Do you think that maybe the Parade has lost its luster from a concours standpoint?

My first Parade was 1974 (Poconos). The class structure was "full" and "street", with classes for the various models. There were no "preservation", "preparation", Restoration", ad- nauseum classes. You entered either a "concours" class or a street class. If you entered the concours class you were subjected to rigorous judging by experts of the day. They took into account cleanliness and originality, with points removed for non-original features. The judges actually touched your car, with white gloves (they wore white lab coats too) looking for missed filth.

A restored car was treated the same as a preserved car. Original parts? check, or gig. Filth found, gig.

The judging, including Best of Show, was completed by 11.00. Judges had the same 5 minutes as today for the classes. It was simple, primarily because brand new car owners had the decency to stay away ( I have a plan for that). The next hour was devoted to judging the class winners for BOS (no division winners, all class winners were eligible). Those of us who'd been told the we were class winners were instructed to stay with our cars for BOS judging, and to keep our engine lids open. So, the field narrowed. I knew I didn't have a chance, but it was still a rush. Of course we all put towels on top of our engine bays, because a second judging was coming. We didn't' want to keep waiting for that judging & let dust accumulate. I was written off early, but a friend from Chicago Region (Bob White) was selected for final BOS showing. He was so extractive when they called him to the front for final judging that he forgot about the towel covering his motor. Fired his motor up, the towel got sucked into the cooling fan! We eventually got it out, in pieces, and he made it to final judging. Forget the results.
Point is this. Just reduce the Parade concours classes. Bring your Porsche and enter into a "full" concours or street class. Break it into model, irrespective of years, classes. Clean it. Let the judges with the longest fingers find your filth (if any). If it isn't original, pay for it with points reductions and make up for it in other areas. Plat the game & stop being such a pussy.

Sorry for the diatribe. Congrats Bliz and Ortobliz..
Pat
ps - thanks for letting an old fart relive the glory days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.