Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st auto-x next weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Woody
We've had several incidents this past year. No one got hurt except the cars. Always keep an eye out if you're anywhere near the course.
mskala
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Aug 5 2013, 01:49 PM) *

On a bad note, we had a guy show up in a super-charged Lotus.
He took one run where he let the instructor drive and went solo after that.

He had the misfortune of running out of talent on an off camber dip in the track where he lost the back end, didn't lift, the car hooked and shot him off the track where he hit a spectator who had his back to the track and slid backwards up the grassy hill almost onto the road.

I was eating lunch and turned around in time to see him and the spectator sliding across the pavement! They were both very lucky in that the spectator "only" got his ankle broken and a small patch of road rash, and the car has some lower front fender damage and a broken splitter.

I had instructed what must have been the same car the previous day.
I only went 3 times among the 2 drivers, they weren't great but didn't
do anything dumb either. I don't like the small parking lot courses
because the designs have to take all sorts of things into account for
safety. Where we are it's an air strip and much easier to manage.
Woody
I wish we had an airstrip. We have a decent size parking lot but we certainly have boundaries.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 5 2013, 06:26 PM) *

I had instructed what must have been the same car the previous day.
I only went 3 times among the 2 drivers, they weren't great but didn't
do anything dumb either. I don't like the small parking lot courses
because the designs have to take all sorts of things into account for
safety. Where we are it's an air strip and much easier to manage.

grey Lotus, guy was short and a little pudgy, spikey hair, cheesy mustache, glasses. The waist of his shorts was a little below his chest....

Yeah he is a little goofy looking, but hey he can afford a Lotus blink.gif

Our usual lot is big enough that you'd have to try really hard to hit something other than people or the timing trailer.

I liked the course and the lot, everybody just needs to be more careful!
r_towle
Seems the safety captain needs to look at the course layout to determine where people should be allowed to spectate....then close off certain areas each event.

Sounds like someone was spectating at an outer corner and physics took over.

Rich
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 6 2013, 03:13 PM) *

Seems the safety captain needs to look at the course layout to determine where people should be allowed to spectate....then close off certain areas each event.

Sounds like someone was spectating at an outer corner and physics took over.

Rich

That is what was done after the fact, so hopefully the club learned something going forward.

The guy who got hit also had his back to the cars even though he was on the edge of where the course area was blocked off.

I always warn people I take to any race track to keep their head out of their ass, watch the cars and avoid high risk areas!

mskala
Here is one of the reasons we have all the rules for how
far away you have to be and no cell phones, no sitting down,
etc. Me in 2004. This guy was within about 12 feet of being
one with my skid plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8BGoYCElbw
r_towle
Wtf is your gas pedal doing on the passenger side of the car???

Just proves my point btw....he stood in a stupid place.
Physics are what they are....he should have been about 50 to 100 feet closer to the start....lazy guy did not want to walk for cones.

At least he was standing....bet he never stood there for the rest of the day smile.gif

I believe the best safety captain I have met is from the ncr region.
He goes out and checks that before the race, and no spectators a allowed on the course edges....
scott_in_nh
So we had a problem/accident free AX last Sunday.

I beat the cars I wanted too/usually beat, lost to the cars I usually lose to and had fun.

I took my adjustable sway bar end "proof of concept" parts out until my buddy can make me the spacers I need and I make nicer mounting brackets (as well as decide on the length of the new drop links with heims on both ends).

I am currently 3rd based on points + highest finish (?) but am tied in points with my nemesis (late 90's Mustang convertible #666). his PAX deducts about an extra second from mine, so as long as I beat him by a second or more I'm good (and I have been the last couple of events).

1st and 2nd are too far ahead to catch, but 3rd is only 7 points ahead of me!

It would be nice to at least get a podium finish in the points, but I am coming into some work travel that may prevent me from making it to all 3 remaining events. sad.gif
scott_in_nh
Finished in about my usual place, beat the drivers I wanted to beat....
I'm goingto be coming home from Europe during the next event, so a podium finish for the year is probably not going to happen sad.gif

Still had a great time, made good friends and learned a lot though smile.gif

Woody
Good looking car.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 11 2013, 02:22 PM) *

Good looking car.

Thanks, she looks good from 10 or more feet smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.