Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reproducing the Stock 914/6 Engine Mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 3 2013, 10:53 AM) *
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 3 2013, 10:49 AM) *

As far as the ability for a single 911 sport mount to support this engine, we'll see. wink.gif

Huh??? blink.gif We'll see??? blink.gif
It's my motor it's supporting! sad.gif

I found a picture of you lol-2.gif

IPB Image
McMark

As far as the ability for a single 911 sport mount to support this engine, we'll see. wink.gif

There's a safety backup. The engine ain't gonna fall. tongue.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2013, 12:34 PM) *

I found a picture of you lol-2.gif

IPB Image

av-943.gif Wait! You've been his guinea pig a few times too! lol-2.gif
MDG
A lot of the -6 guys are watching Mark's progress here with great interest.

This was very generous of you, Rob! To offer your car up like this as a test mule was a true selfless act.

smilie_pokal.gif

Besides, Mark said it should probably by okay-ish. Kinda.

Krieger
Did somebody say bungee cord? unsure.gif
ConeDodger
Last time I was there, I needed spray adhesive to put sail panel vinyl on. I was going to the hardware store and I asked Mark if he wanted me to pick anything up for him. He just said, "duct tape." blink.gif
MDG
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 3 2013, 07:53 PM) *

I asked Mark if he wanted me to pick anything up for him. He just said, "duct tape." blink.gif

Mark is a true innovator. He's not afraid of a little grassroots, shade tree kinda stuff.

Probably wouldn't try it on his own car, but . . .
McMark
No, this was designed for my car. Rob just threw a tantrum until I agreed to let him test it. hissyfit.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 3 2013, 07:35 PM) *

No, this was designed for my car. Rob just threw a tantrum until I agreed to let him test it. hissyfit.gif

bs.gif your engine doesn't run anyway... biggrin.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 3 2013, 09:14 PM) *

Wasn't Mark going to test HIS new mount in HIS car with YOUR engine?

I thought that was the plan? confused24.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Dec 3 2013, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 3 2013, 09:14 PM) *

Yikes! wacko.gif
MDG
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Dec 4 2013, 12:22 AM) *

Mark's been driving his car with Rob's engine in it for a month now.

mellow.gif

I heard he's using a Rich Johnson mount.
McMark
Welded in the first prototype. Dropped right into place using a 901 with 911 case with ORIGINAL 914/6 on-engine mount. This is really looking good. thumb3d.gif
ConeDodger
evilgrin.gif Me like!!!
JStroud
My cars next !!!! pray.gif

I need one of those. beer.gif

Jeff
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 31 2013, 08:10 PM) *

evilgrin.gif Me like!!!
Me like 2.. so how much? Hopefully it's affordable -smile.gif
Dr Evil
I may have gotten one wink.gif
FourBlades

So show us how the 911 Sport Mount works with the consoles!

I just picked up both parts based on your thread, thanks! piratenanner.gif

One of the last missing pieces.

John
It's been posted a while ago. Are there any additional info on status and availability?
Fastmover
QUOTE(McMark @ May 8 2013, 12:12 AM) *

I certainly can't complain about the available aftermarket mounts, and I have no intention of trying to detract from those mounts.

That being said, and in the interest of friendly debate...

The aftermarket mounts aren't exactly widespread mounts. I mean, if you want 911 style, make a mount that's 911 width. wink.gif

Also the 908 engine mount above is a single mount. Also, here's a 99-05 996 engine.

IPB Image

That's a Boxster/Cayman engine with the single mount in the front, which is fine as long as you have dual wide mounts coming off the transmission to control lateral/torsional flex from the engine, the 911's mounts are opposite, wide dual mounts off the engine carrier plate and a single mount of the tail shaft of the transmission. Either way is fine, which I prefer it to be set up like a Boxster/Cayman since that is the most current design Porsche uses for the mid engine.. Rock on!
McMark
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 19 2015, 07:05 AM) *

It's been posted a while ago. Are there any additional info on status and availability?

Looks like I never updated this thread. Whoops...

Both ConeDodger and JStroud have the mounts in their cars and both have 3.2 engines. Neither have reported any odd behavior and I think it's all working really well. I did find that a single 911 Sport Mount wasn't strong enough to take the weight, so I used the WEvo semi-solid mounts which have worked really well. I would still like to see about reproducing the stock 914-6 rubber mount for simplicity.

As far as availability, I've pretty much sworn off product production until I catch up on the car projects I have in the shop. Actually, I should find a fab shop that can knock this stuff out faster and better than I can. idea.gif

Oh, and I have to change the drawings just slightly because these early version actually won't fit with a stock 914-6 mount. Slight interference.
McMark
sunglasses.gif
Chris Pincetich
I've had similar WEVO mounts on my transaxle for the last 5+ years. They still look great beerchug.gif
FourBlades

Thanks Mark!

That is what I was looking for. smilie_pokal.gif

John
SirAndy
How about notching the top of the plate and routing the wire harness under the side piece?

FourBlades

Good idea Andy.

What are the specs on the bolt that holds it all together.

The PET does not say.

I think it is M12 but 8.8 or 10.9 and how long?

Thanks,

John
rgalla9146
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 30 2013, 07:28 PM) *

Rory, everybody's got their own opinion, and nobody's got fact. So here's my opinion. biggrin.gif

Adapting one 911 mount ( sport or standard ) will provide only 50 percent of the necessary support.
Based on the 911 using two? Did they use two for 'necessary support'? Or just for improved noise/vibration dampening? I think you're making a BIG leap in deciding that the two mounts on a 911 are 'necessary'.

I would then fabricate the bulkhead part using two factory 911 mounts on a wider bracket.
This is widely available and is what everyone else uses.

No negativity intended. Just sharing. wub.gif

So Mark, how'd that single 911 motor mount work out ?
Porsche installed the second one for decoration ?
BIG leap ?
By the way, obstructions, even minor ones (such as a WIRING HARNESS !) should be considered early in the design process.
Just my opinion.
Rory

Luke M
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 29 2013, 11:33 AM) *

I designed the mount to take a 914/6 mount, even though they're NLA. But I also designed an adapter plate to use a 911 Sport Mount.

Hey Mark,

How's things going in Mich?
I'm not sure if you're settled in there yet but would you happen to have any update on the motor mount?
I'm looking for just the firewall side to mate to a factory engine side.
I would also need a spare motor mount plate ( like pictured above ).
Keep us posted and stay warm.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 19 2015, 12:04 PM) *

Both ConeDodger and JStroud have the mounts in their cars and both have 3.2 engines. Neither have reported any odd behavior and I think it's all working really well. I did find that a single 911 Sport Mount wasn't strong enough to take the weight, so I used the WEvo semi-solid mounts which have worked really well. I would still like to see about reproducing the stock 914-6 rubber mount for simplicity.

As far as availability, I've pretty much sworn off product production until I catch up on the car projects I have in the shop. Actually, I should find a fab shop that can knock this stuff out faster and better than I can. idea.gif

Oh, and I have to change the drawings just slightly because these early version actually won't fit with a stock 914-6 mount. Slight interference.

There are no issues. I regularly hit the rev limiter on the 3.2 and I don't baby it. It does fine. If you need a mount and want some semblance of originality you can use this mount with confidence.... biggrin.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 3 2015, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 19 2015, 12:04 PM) *

There are no issues. I regularly hit the rev limiter on the 3.2 and I don't baby it. It does fine. If you need a mount and want some semblance of originality you can use this mount with confidence.... biggrin.gif

Which motor mount are you using at the firewall Wevo or 911 sport?
So to clarify my small brain. With your current fire wall mount, one can utilize a factory -6 engine mount to attach to your firewall mount?
Sorry for the double post. .fingers are simply too fast
McMark
The 911 Sport mount is a little too weak. The Wevo mount is necessary. Working with local suppliers to get these things made for me. No time to build parts myself right now.

With your current fire wall mount, one can utilize a factory -6 engine mount to attach to your firewall mount?

Yup. thumb3d.gif

mb911
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 4 2015, 02:03 PM) *

The 911 Sport mount is a little too weak. The Wevo mount is necessary. Working with local suppliers to get these things made for me. No time to build parts myself right now.

With your current fire wall mount, one can utilize a factory -6 engine mount to attach to your firewall mount?

Yup. thumb3d.gif

If your looking for someone to fab some I am a Welder fabricator by trade so I would be very interested in doing this..

Going to be making oil tanks shortly
peteyd
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 4 2015, 02:55 PM) *

Yup. thumb3d.gif

If your looking for someone to fab some I am a Welder fabricator by trade so I would be very interested in doing this..

I dont know how much you plan to sell your oil tanks for, but there is someone working on an oil tank in Europe. They will be factory replicas. Just a heads up...

Pete
SirAndy
QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 4 2015, 04:36 PM) *
They will be factory replicas

sad.gif
I don't understand why someone can't improve on a 45 year old design and still turn a good profit.

What i really want to see is someone doing tanks like the DWD tank, which is sadly no longer available.

IMHO, the perfect tank would be to take the DWD design (larger oil capacity than stock) and ADD a 911 style oil level sender to it.

That would be the perfect tank for a /6 ...
popcorn[1].gif

DWD tank:
IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 4 2015, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 4 2015, 02:55 PM) *

Yup. thumb3d.gif

I dont know how much you plan to sell your oil tanks for, but there is someone working on an oil tank in Europe. They will be factory replicas. Just a heads up...

Pete

The factory replicas will be available in a couple months. We have the 911 replicas for early, late and '72. 914-6 is on order. Price point will probably be around $1k. So there is still plenty of room for Ben to do what he has planned.
Luke M
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 4 2015, 03:03 PM) *

Yup. thumb3d.gif

Hi Mark,

Do you have all the firewall mount pieces cut just not welded up or need to have it all sourced out to be made?

I'll send you a pm on this too..

mb911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 4 2015, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 4 2015, 04:36 PM) *
They will be factory replicas

sad.gif
I don't understand why someone can't improve on a 45 year old design and still turn a good profit.

What i really want to see is someone doing tanks like the DWD tank, which is sadly no longer available.

IMHO, the perfect tank would be to take the DWD design (larger oil capacity than stock) and ADD a 911 style oil level sender to it.

That would be the perfect tank for a /6 ...
popcorn[1].gif

DWD tank:
IPB Image

That's my plan along engine mounts and engine sheet metal and probably chassis stifener kits and heat exchangers for the current line of headers out there along with stainless headers .. I am working on getting samples and hope to launch the first product end of January.. I really like the design of this engine mount and was going to do one similar before stumbling across this thread..
McMark
UPDATE: maddog is producing my mount for sale. Contact him directly to see about ordering.

http://www.maddogsmotorsports.org/914-6-motor-mount.html
ConeDodger
And there are STILL no issues with this mount as designed by Mark... evilgrin.gif
mb911
Cool to see some one making these. I as well am in process of making a few for myself.. I think it's a great design.
db9146
Just curious....has anyone swapped in the Wevo sport mount and the adapter plate that Maddog is producing from McMark's design for the rubber block of an original OEM -6 mount? Seems it might fit but just wondering.
914Sixer
I doubt any one will try after seeing the NOS mount on Ebay for $2,500.
McMark
He means pulling out the his existing original mount and using my adapter with the Wevo mount. I designed my part to be interchangeable with the original 914-6 mount.
db9146
No, I'm talking about ripping out the original and putting it on eBay and then installing McMark's and make about $2 grand....... piratenanner.gif

Just kidding. biggrin.gif

What McMark said.
Luke M
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 8 2016, 11:01 PM) *

And there are STILL no issues with this mount as designed by Mark... evilgrin.gif

How's the Wevo mount holding up in your car?
Are you using the blue or black inserts ?
I'm looking for a replacement rubber mount for my factory 6.
This route seams to be the most economical way to do this.

Thanks,
aturboman
Found this last night..........

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/914-9...-72-p28574.html
colingreene
but its a uro part so why even bother to try it.
we all just know it will be poor quality.
NeunEinVier
These sellers aren't going to be happy about it, that's for sure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112001337595
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152127986145
aturboman
Well for my part I have 2 original 914-6 cars being restored and I'd like to replace the 45+ year old mounts on both of them; as nothing last forever.

The thought of paying $5k for 2 NOS mounts that are also likely at least 30+ years old doesn't work for me so for $400 bucks I'm going to bite and take the risk.

Along the same lines I recently bought the new production Dansk 914-6 heater boxes.
No they aren't original but they are really nice (and new), fit great and aren't some 45+ year old crusty ones.

I guess for the $4,600 I'll be saving on these mounts I'll put towards paintwork or lots of other goodies.

If anyone cares I'd be happy to report back when they arrive.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.