Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reproducing the Stock 914/6 Engine Mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2013, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 3 2013, 07:27 PM) *
Mine is a cabriolet

That might have been it. My memory is a bit foggy.

So the dampener on the cabriolets is for engine vibration, not torque?
idea.gif

Yes, from what I read, and it's really not that much.
Just told that I must have it....lots of opinions why, and I am all set, I have it.

Car really does not have that much torque, so even when going from zero to 100 it does not twist...

If your curious, go search the bird board.....loads of opinions
McMark
Took me awhile to find this little sucker. Mostly because I was looking for something substantial. rolleyes.gif It's so cute... tongue.gif

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 3 2013, 07:44 PM) *
Took me awhile to find this little sucker.

Yepp, that's the one. I always thought that was for dampening the engine twist under load, but i guess that is not the case ...

popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
Honestly don't recall, but I recall lots of discussion about vibration...
Mine does not vibrate....wonder what it would do it I removed that...
idea.gif
r_towle
Just went and looked again and it seems the two differences are this damper, and a rubber mount in the middle of the engine support bar, both are only on the cabriolet.

Still no real definitive answer if its for vibration or to keep the chassis from twisting...

Seems more like vibration, and some very good point were made regarding the transfer of twisting stress from a race car chassis to the engine castings and how porsche made every effort to avoid that transfer of twisting stress.

So oddly, at least how I am reading this, it may be to protect the engine castings from the chassis versus protecting the chassis from the engine twisting...

Sounds more viable that they wanted to isolate the engine castings from the more twisty cabriolet rear clip...which might move around more than a coupe..and could damage the engine...

Rich
McMark
Interesting twist of perspective Rich! idea.gif
r_towle
Well, stock setup and I can lift a front wheel at an autox on street tires....so it's not that weak.

Also makes me think that when (not if) I put a big six in my 914, I will rethink the solid mounts that everyone seems to lean towards and isolate the motor a bit more...
Car vibrate plenty on its own.

Rich
McMark
Prototype mounts have been laser cut. Next week they get welded together. I had a jig from a previous project for locating the stock six mount bolt. But a real six mount came up for sale last week and I snagged it. I got it today and checked against my jig. They lined up, and now I know for sure.

Pics soon... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Pics now! Pics now! drooley.gif
McMark
Tomorrow. wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 27 2013, 07:51 PM) *

Tomorrow. wink.gif

It's tomorrow!!! happy11.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
McMark
NOW it's tomorrow. happy11.gif

Gonna add a couple more plates/faces to the engine side of the mount to box it in a little more. I'm also considering scrapping the engine side design now that I have a factory six mount to work from. The current design is sufficient, but doesn't quite match the factory piece as much as I would like.
FourBlades

Is that red piece the engine side?

I need the engine side for the original mount and have not had much luck finding one.

I admit to being clueless about 911 parts. smile.gif

John
McMark
Yup. The red piece is a factory 914/6 piece that bolts to the engine. It will probably be for sale once I finish up my design.
ConeDodger
drooley.gif Very cool! cheer.gif
Looks great, now how about the one that is attached to the body / firewall? You going to make that too?..never mind, I see it now.
veekry9
Nice Work.
Will you rib the outrigger?
To copy the flanged stamping.
Do you have any intention to mass-produce
for the sixers on board?
sixnotfour
Looks Good Mark, however I have concern about changing the belt, with the later bigger crank pulley..Here are some pics. 3.2 double pulley with th outer pulley cut off, and a factory -6 mount... With the stiffeners running on the inner side of the plate " I think the belt clearance will be tight " maybe not , just a thought..Jeff
McMark
I checked for that clearance and designed it around the pulley on my 2.4. But you're right about the 3.2 pulley. That just solidifies my plan to redesign the engine-side mount. Back to the drawing board. biggrin.gif
r_towle
The engine side, I believe, needs that bottom plated to provide torsional rigidity.
Seems like it may have the chance to twist without that....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 28 2013, 06:26 PM) *

I checked for that clearance and designed it around the pulley on my 2.4. But you're right about the 3.2 pulley. That just solidifies my plan to redesign the engine-side mount. Back to the drawing board. biggrin.gif

Did you try mounting it on my engine? rolleyes.gif
Luke M
Gonna add a couple more plates/faces to the engine side of the mount to box it in a little more. I'm also considering scrapping the engine side design now that I have a factory six mount to work from. The current design is sufficient, but doesn't quite match the factory piece as much as I would like.
Mark,

Why couldn't you just use a factory 911 engine mount and modify it like the factory 6 mount ? I've seen this done before. It's been awhile but I think I have one in my parts stash someplace. I'll see if I can dig it out and get some pics. This maybe the way to go and save yourself some time on fab work ?
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 28 2013, 06:39 PM) *

The engine side, I believe, needs that bottom plated to provide torsional rigidity.
Seems like it may have the chance to twist without that....

That was my first thought too. The red piece looks more robust. Could you simply slope the base of the triangular piece that crosses the mount gradually upward to the top of the engine mount (poor description) to make basically a diaphragm and a strut to match the original stamping. I don't think that shape was for convenience.

It looks really cool. Can you explain why the firewal mount extends so far beyond the big hole for the mounting pad? What do the small holes making the square attach to?

A whole set of incomprehensible comments.
Luke M
I have a few pics of a factory 6 engine mount (which I sold last year) and a 911 mount side by side. I would think keep your firewall mount and modify a 911 mount to prevent any problems with the engine mount. I know a member here that made his own copy of a 6 firewall mount but I think he's using a factory 6 engine mount IIRC. I'll pm him to see if he'll chime in here on that. If you want a 911 engine mount to work with pm me and I'll get one out to you.
McMark
QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 29 2013, 06:47 AM) *

Mark,

Why couldn't you just use a factory 911 engine mount and modify it like the factory 6 mount ? I've seen this done before. It's been awhile but I think I have one in my parts stash someplace. I'll see if I can dig it out and get some pics. This maybe the way to go and save yourself some time on fab work ?
I have one of these. The reality is that it would take longer to tweak the 911 mount in a way that would satisfy my need to make it look original, and very little of the 911 mount would be left. Lots of cutting, cleaning and blasting before it's even ready to be welded on. Once I get all the pieces designed correctly, it'll only take me 30m to weld one together. Also, relying on finding core engine mounts sounds like a PITA to me.
Luke M
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 29 2013, 08:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 29 2013, 06:47 AM) *

Mark,

I have one of these. The reality is that it would take longer to tweak the 911 mount in a way that would satisfy my need to make it look original, and very little of the 911 mount would be left. Lots of cutting, cleaning and blasting before it's even ready to be welded on. Once I get all the pieces designed correctly, it'll only take me 30m to weld one together. Also, relying on finding core engine mounts sounds like a PITA to me.

I looked but can't find the modified 911 mount that I have (may have sold it?).
It was modified like the mount that you made (pic at top of page) but looks like a factory 6 mount. I have a few (4 or 5) 911 mounts that I have laying around if your interested? I understand what you're saying time is $ which at the end all adds up. If the price is right and if you're making a kit I'd be in for one (future 6 conv for my kid). What are you planning to use for the rubber mount on the firewall side?

McMark
I designed the mount to take a 914/6 mount, even though they're NLA. But I also designed an adapter plate to use a 911 Sport Mount.
r_towle
Love the idea, and love the simplicity of this mount versus others I have seen.

Is there a chance you could hold up your mount versus a stock mount at the chassis?
I know that may be a PITA, but there are many of us who have not seen one up close and personal...
Luke M
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 29 2013, 11:33 AM) *

I designed the mount to take a 914/6 mount, even though they're NLA. But I also designed an adapter plate to use a 911 Sport Mount.

I like the idea of using a factory 6 mount or 911 sport mount. Are you going to powder coat the parts afterwards? If you sell the mount adapter alone let me know. I'd be in for one of those now in case my factory mount craps out this would be the fix.
dug
Nice work Mark. I'd like one of the adapters for the 911 sport mount too.
thanks,
dug
sechszylinder
Dear Mark,

that is a quite interesting thread and I've had bascically the same ideas for reproducing the original engine mount for the conversion of my four banger.

The show stopper was the unavailbabilty of the 914/6 mount itself. The idea of using 911 sport mounts is excellent.

Mittelmotor in germany designed as well a let's say "replica" of the original mount.

Pictures can be found on their website following the links below ->

http://www.mittelmotor.de/gfx/ebay/ersatzteile/halter5.jpg
http://www.mittelmotor.de/gfx/ebay/ersatzteile/halter3.jpg
http://www.mittelmotor.de/gfx/ebay/ersatzteile/halter4.jpg
http://www.mittelmotor.de/gfx/ebay/ersatzteile/halter2.jpg

best regards

Benno
SirAndy
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Oct 30 2013, 03:40 AM) *

And this one of the finished product welded on a car:
http://www.mittelmotor.de/gfx/ebay/ersatzteile/halter.jpg

And the motor side of things:
http://www.mittelmotor.de/gfx/ebay/ersatzteile/halter1.jpg

shades.gif
sechszylinder
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 30 2013, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Oct 30 2013, 03:40 AM) *

And this one of the finished product welded on a car:
http://www.mittelmotor.de/gfx/ebay/ersatzteile/halter.jpg

shades.gif

Andy,

I'm not quite sure, but this one looks like an original mount (that part on the firewall) ...

br

benno
SirAndy
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Oct 30 2013, 11:15 AM) *
I'm not quite shure, but this one looks like an original mount (that part on the firewall) ...

It's hard to tell from the picture but i think you are right.

It looks like the one in the picture has the factory spotwelds.
idea.gif
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 30 2013, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Oct 30 2013, 11:15 AM) *
I'm not quite shure, but this one looks like an original mount (that part on the firewall) ...

It's hard to tell from the picture but i think you are right.

It looks like the one in the picture has the factory spotwelds.
idea.gif

Yeah, that one is factory.

I saw the Mittlemotor one and wasn't impressed, which is why I started on this. We'll see when I'm done if it was worth it. wink.gif
Luke M
Hey Mark,

I found that modified 911 mount that I was talking about yesterday.
I took some pics of it on my motor along with the factory mount.
I also measured the mounts and get the same results between the two.
It also would clear any larger lower pulley w/o any problem.
In the pics the lower pulley is a stock 6 one 115 mm o/d.
I'll check and see if I have any larger pulley's to test as well.
I know that you want to stay clear of using the 911 mount.
McMark
Thanks Luke, I'll reconsider it. idea.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 30 2013, 02:43 PM) *

I don't want to steer you away from what you are doing. I figured why mess with something if it's been tried and tested. The 911 mount has been around a while now and I've never seen a failure with one. I bet once you get going you'll be able to knock one out in no time. The plus from what I can tell is you have to source less parts/metal to make a 911 mount work. The down side is you have to source the 911 mount but if someone wants one you could always charge a core fee or request a 911 mount to be sent to you. Last time I bought a RJ conv mount he requested a 911 mount in return which I got on Pelican pretty easy and cheap. I believe there's a few different styles of 911 mounts depending on which engine you use. I know for a fact that the factory 6 mount fits the 2.0 - 3.2 w/o any problems. I would say a early 2.0 - 2.7 911 mount should be fine for most applications. The 3.6 is a hole different thing from what I hear. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. I'd be in for a kit for sure.
Krieger
Maybe call easy or parts heaven and see if you can buy 5 to get going...
Luke M
Mark,

If you want to go the 911 mount route let me know. I just checked and have 5 911 mounts on hand. They are the same type as what I posted yesterday.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 30 2013, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 30 2013, 02:43 PM) *

I don't want to steer you away from what you are doing. I figured why mess with something if it's been tried and tested. The 911 mount has been around a while now and I've never seen a failure with one. I bet once you get going you'll be able to knock one out in no time. The plus from what I can tell is you have to source less parts/metal to make a 911 mount work. The down side is you have to source the 911 mount but if someone wants one you could always charge a core fee or request a 911 mount to be sent to you. Last time I bought a RJ conv mount he requested a 911 mount in return which I got on Pelican pretty easy and cheap. I believe there's a few different styles of 911 mounts depending on which engine you use. I know for a fact that the factory 6 mount fits the 2.0 - 3.2 w/o any problems. I would say a early 2.0 - 2.7 911 mount should be fine for most applications. The 3.6 is a hole different thing from what I hear. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. I'd be in for a kit for sure.

Hey Mark
Your fabrication work is outstanding.
I'm in the process of doing a conversion 6.
I was very lucky to start with all original 6 front mount parts except for the firewall bracket. Because I had those parts I chose to fabricate a copy of the factory bulkhead mount.
Like you, I was also interested in sticking as close to factory appearance as possible. This is probably less important to most 6 converts.
As mentioned in the thread the dead end of this approach is the NLA rubber mount and nut plate.
Adapting one 911 mount ( sport or standard ) will provide only 50 percent of the necessary support. Just my humble opinion
If I had to start with nothing I would go with Lukes suggestion of a modified 911 engine bracket.
I would then fabricate the bulkhead part using two factory 911 mounts on a wider bracket. I'm pretty sure that wheel has already been invented.
With persistence and plenty of time original parts can be sourced.
Most of us want instant results.
If I were to market a front mount assembly I would incorporate and modify available parts as necessary and make sure that it would fit big late engines.
Rory

McMark
Rory, everybody's got their own opinion, and nobody's got fact. So here's my opinion. biggrin.gif

Adapting one 911 mount ( sport or standard ) will provide only 50 percent of the necessary support.
Based on the 911 using two? Did they use two for 'necessary support'? Or just for improved noise/vibration dampening? I think you're making a BIG leap in deciding that the two mounts on a 911 are 'necessary'.

I would then fabricate the bulkhead part using two factory 911 mounts on a wider bracket.
This is widely available and is what everyone else uses.

No negativity intended. Just sharing. wub.gif
r_towle
You could always add a cute hydraulic piston for vibration dampening smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 30 2013, 04:28 PM) *
Adapting one 911 mount ( sport or standard ) will provide only 50 percent of the necessary support.
Based on the 911 using two? Did they use two for 'necessary support'? Or just for improved noise/vibration dampening? I think you're making a BIG leap in deciding that the two mounts on a 911 are 'necessary'.

agree.gif

If a single center mount would be a bad idea, Porsche would have abandoned that a long time ago.

The fact that they are still using them today should tell us something ...
popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 30 2013, 06:28 PM) *

agree.gif

If a single center mount would be a bad idea, Porsche would have abandoned that a long time ago.

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif If the Carrera GT uses it with what, 610HP We should be ok...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 30 2013, 10:28 PM) *

agree.gif

Marks fabrication is outstanding and I applaud the effort. His skill is obvious.
His interest in original appearance is commendable for a faithful 6 conversion.
Dave_Darling
I do wonder what the load-bearing capacity of the single "sport mount" is, though. The stock Six rubber mount seems like it was a lot beefier than the 911 one.

--DD
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 30 2013, 11:29 PM) *

I do wonder what the load-bearing capacity of the single "sport mount" is, though. The stock Six rubber mount seems like it was a lot beefier than the 911 one.

--DD

My thought exactly Dave.
An OE 6 front mount is pretty beefy. So are the single point mounts on all the newer cars.
McMark
Making some more progress on this project. I redesigned the motor side of the mount. This is much closer to what I was envisioning. Still a few tweaks here and there, but I'm happy with the new direction.
Click to view attachment

As far as the ability for a single 911 sport mount to support this engine, we'll see. wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 3 2013, 10:49 AM) *

As far as the ability for a single 911 sport mount to support this engine, we'll see. wink.gif

Huh??? blink.gif We'll see??? blink.gif

It's my motor it's supporting! sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.