messix
turn it up!!!!

1.7 are dime a dozen.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 17 2013, 10:37 PM) *
Now to convince myself that I shouldn't try to increase the boost. happy11.gif

blowup.gif
montoya 73 2.0
if it works better than when we were on the Saturday drive than I would seriously consider ordering one. PM me!
aircooledtechguy
Thats great to hear.

Now turn it up and let her rip! All in the name of science of course. . . happy11.gif
McMark
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 18 2013, 04:42 PM) *

if it works better than when we were on the Saturday drive than I would seriously consider ordering one. PM me!

So far it has been great! Made a few changes tonight that I'll try out tomorrow. Smoothed the VE table slightly, pulled 0.2 ms off the coil charge time since I'm still getting a bit of pinging at WOT. Off now to research colder platinum plugs that might work.

I really really wish I had found this stuff out a week ago. mad.gif

If I have time tomorrow, I'll turn up the boost as well. stirthepot.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 18 2013, 09:53 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 18 2013, 04:42 PM) *

So far it has been great! Made a few changes tonight that I'll try out tomorrow. Smoothed the VE table slightly, pulled 0.2 ms off the coil charge time since I'm still getting a bit of pinging at WOT. Off now to research colder platinum plugs that might work.

I really really wish I had found this stuff out a week ago. mad.gif

If I have time tomorrow, I'll turn up the boost as well. stirthepot.gif

You need some methanol injection... evilgrin.gif No more ping...
McMark
Did a little testing this morning. Definitely getting boost as low as 1500 rpm. happy11.gif
biosurfer1
These are all lies...shame on you Mark for making people believe they can turbo a 914! biggrin.gif

I'm going to swing by the shop for a ride soon, plus I got a new toy to show off. beerchug.gif
McMark
Cleared up another stupid mistake. I had been having a problem where every time the Acceleration Enrichment came in the engine would hesitate from being too rich. Finally dawned on me that if my running pulse width is 5.8ms, then adding another 3.75ms was WAY TOO MUCH! Duh! pinch.gif

Dailed the AE back to reasonable numbers, starting with 0.5ms added at the lowest level. So much better!

I also pulled timing from the top end, at around 1degree per psi of boost. This helped reduce the pinging, but it's still there a bit. Need to reinstall my laptop stand and do some driving/tuning.

The 'bad' part of having a running car is that I don't want to do the little things that need fixing (CHT sensor, intake leak on DS, etc). driving.gif
monkeyboy
Nice. Thanks for the rolling updates on this. I'd love to ride in it. I wanted to do something just like this for a while now.
McMark
Anytime! driving.gif

I totally dusted a mid-90s Toyota Avalon tonight getting on the freeway. burnout.gif
tadink
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 24 2013, 08:18 PM) *

Anytime! driving.gif

I totally dusted a mid-90s Toyota Avalon tonight getting on the freeway. burnout.gif

hmmmm, a bolt-on turbo kit for a 1.7L????

let's talk when we get back to Napa!! I'm sure you need a 2nd 'test install' to work out all the bugs! :-)

great updates - I recognize that car! LOL

td
monkeyboy
QUOTE(tadink @ Jun 25 2013, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 24 2013, 08:18 PM) *

Anytime! driving.gif

hmmmm, a bolt-on turbo kit for a 1.7L????

let's talk when we get back to Napa!! I'm sure you need a 2nd 'test install' to work out all the bugs! :-)

great updates - I recognize that car! LOL

td

It's totally awesome if you ask me. Only difference for me is that I want to keep the stock heat exchangers. I need my defrosters! evilgrin.gif
McMark
I got plans for heat... idea.gif
monkeyboy
Now you have my full attention...
monkeyboy
I was thinking about one of these self contained turbos so I wouldn't have to run oil lines.

http://aerocharger.com/aerochargers/53series/
McMark
Interesting, but I got my turbo for 5% of that price. wink.gif

Running the oil lines was pretty easy.
monkeyboy
OK, I am jealous, and I don't have any turbos just lying around.
McMark
They've got up a little, but they're $185 on eBay. Think I paid $125.
Mike Bellis
One of them was free... poke.gif
ConeDodger
I rode in this yesterday. 5# of boost and you can already feel that it would dust a stock 2.0. My thought, and I shared this with Mark, it feels like 2270 territory.
With different heads, say LE200 or specially designed turbo heads, this would scream!
The concept is proven. You guys should start lining up... evilgrin.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 25 2013, 05:55 PM) *

I rode in this yesterday. 5# of boost and you can already feel that it would dust a stock 2.0. My thought, and I shared this with Mark, it feels like 2270 territory.
With different heads, say LE200 or specially designed turbo heads, this would scream!

I can't do another engine swap for at least 2 months... beer.gif
monkeyboy
After my fuel injection build, it's on the list.
montoya 73 2.0

agree.gif

I rode in it at the WCR with all the bugs that he had and I could still feel the potential and I was convinced driving.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 25 2013, 06:02 PM) *

I can't do another engine swap for at least 2 months... beer.gif

That's easy Mike.......just buy another car .....that's what I did! av-943.gif

Jeff
McMark
Gonna grab some NGK IFR6E11 (6741) spark plugs tomorrow and give those a try. Not sure I'll notice anything, but they're a little colder, a little larger gap, and Iridium electrode. Randal ran some Iridium plugs in his race motor and had good luck, so this is a little thanks to him. Did I mention they're $11.50 per plug... yikes.gif

IPB Image
rick 918-S
Are you running an MSD with those plugs? With a larger gap this may be a place where multiple spark discharge it would benefit. during boost the charging of the cylinder can blow the single spark out of the gap. That's my simple explanation.
McMark
It's got coil on plug, so the sparking voltage is greatly increased. I don't think MicroSquirt supports multiple spark, but I should look into that.
ConeDodger
I was struck by how driveable it was. This isn't a beast that you couldn't talk your wife into riding in. It retains the character of the 1.7 but has an "I want to go play" attitude.
I can just imagine how nice this would be with a freshly built balanced engine and a good quiet well flowing muffler. driving.gif

With the right heads... evilgrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2013, 12:53 AM) *

It's got coil on plug, so the sparking voltage is greatly increased. I don't think MicroSquirt supports multiple spark, but I should look into that.

Oh ya. Buy Porsche used twin plug heads with the turbos right? That could have been the reason. interesting engine build. Keep tweeking.
kevin311
I love this thread. piratenanner.gif
I have been gathering parts to do this also, after I finish my ITBs. Im already running MSII and I have a really small turbo from an old volvo that I used on my T1 sandrail with SS oil feed and drain lines.
This thread is making me really anxious to get to work!

Great work! Really an inspiration!

beerchug.gif Kevin
McMark
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 25 2013, 11:10 PM) *

I was struck by how driveable it was. This isn't a beast that you couldn't talk your wife into riding in. It retains the character of the 1.7 but has an "I want to go play" attitude.
I can just imagine how nice this would be with a freshly built balanced engine and a good quiet well flowing muffler. driving.gif

I've been pondering the engine build. Definitely have to stay 1.7 because everything is matched to that. The bottom end would stay pretty much the same, but some head work could open things up. The 1.7 heads are pretty restricting. Maybe just using 1.8 heads would work better. I could do 2.0 heads but would need some tweaking because the intake system is based on 1.7 four bolt runners. Or 2.0 heads with four studs (did someone say LE200? wink.gif ). According to Corky Bell's book, stock cams are actually really good for turboing. Not sure if I would want to risk the unknown effects by swapping to another cam. Part of the drivability is the copious idle vacuum, which goes away if I run a cam with overlap. Sure, I gain top end, but I'm not looking for that. But if I build this new engine, it'll be balanced in every respect. I've been wanting to build a crazy blueprinted engine for awhile now, and I think this is the build to do it on.

The muffler is a 3" inlet/outlet Hooker Header muffler. It's huge. If anything is restricting the exhaust flow it's the turbo. I'm tempted to try the K04, but I'm also liking just driving my car. biggrin.gif

And then there's always that slippery slope of adding more boost. ottox914 is running 12+psi. idea.gif I think I'm afraid of this though, to be honest. There are so many turbo horror stories out there. unsure.gif
McMark
QUOTE(kevin311 @ Jun 26 2013, 07:50 AM) *

I love this thread. piratenanner.gif
I have been gathering parts to do this also, after I finish my ITBs. Im already running MSII and I have a really small turbo from an old volvo that I used on my T1 sandrail with SS oil feed and drain lines.
This thread is making me really anxious to get to work!

Great work! Really an inspiration!

beerchug.gif Kevin

Thanks! Go for it. beer.gif And keep us posted... wink.gif
Chris H.

...The 1.7 heads are pretty restricting. Maybe just using 1.8 heads would work better....Part of the drivability is the copious idle vacuum, which goes away if I run a cam with overlap. Sure, I gain top end, but I'm not looking for that. But if I build this new engine, it'll be balanced in every respect. I've been wanting to build a crazy blueprinted engine for awhile now, and I think this is the build to do it on.

Now you're killing me...I'll have a 1.8 left over from my transplant....hmmmmm... maybe I won't sell it.

BTW Mark I think I have a set of original blue California license plates from a 1971 Fastback...bought it in the late '80's and registered it here so they should be long gone out of the system by now. You can have them if you want. Would be perfect for your gold teener rebuild. 341 are the first 3 digits of the plate to confirm....I read somewhere the plate has to be from the same year car to reuse them.

McMark
Thanks Chris. From what I've read that plate process only applied to 1969 and earlier car. dry.gif But I suppose it would be worth it to put the paperwork through anyway might get lucky. I would love it to be blue plates...
Chris H.
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2013, 11:49 AM) *

Thanks Chris. From what I've read that plate process only applied to 1969 and earlier car. dry.gif But I suppose it would be worth it to put the paperwork through anyway might get lucky. I would love it to be blue plates...

PM me your address... I'll dig them out this weekend. At the very least you can slap them on at meets. I'll never use them.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2013, 09:27 AM) *
I could do ...

Don't ... rolleyes.gif

The thing that makes this so interesting is the fact that it would be a bolt on solution to a *STOCK* 1.7L engine!

And there are so many of them out there. If you can make this work with a stock cam and stock heads and be able to sell it as a complete kit, you will be way ahead.

Once people have to split the case or even just swap heads, you lost 2/3 of your customer base right there.
popcorn[1].gif
effutuo101
I have a couple of small SUBY turbos if you think they would help a build. VF31 and VF 32. They can off my twin turbo motor, and I am going to a single screw set up.
McMark
So... I learned today that my gas gauge doesn't go below 1/4 tank.
hide.gif

Luckily I ran out of gas basically in Trekkor's driveway. I owe ya big time, buddy. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
You could always run E85. Stays cooler at higher boost levels. less detonation...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2013, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 25 2013, 11:10 PM) *

I can just imagine how nice this would be with a freshly built balanced engine and a good quiet well flowing muffler. : evilgrin.gif driving:

There are so many turbo horror stories out there. unsure.gif

Turn up the boost. The worst horror you can do at this point is scatter a throw-away 1.7 all over the pavement. 7psi is factory turbo street car range. 12 is still pretty casual... You know the first step to recovery is admitting you want more boost!!! evilgrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2013, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2013, 09:27 AM) *
I could do ...

Don't ... rolleyes.gif

The thing that makes this so interesting is the fact that it would be a bolt on solution to a *STOCK* 1.7L engine!

And there are so many of them out there. If you can make this work with a stock cam and stock heads and be able to sell it as a complete kit, you will be way ahead.

Once people have to split the case or even just swap heads, you lost 2/3 of your customer base right there.
popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif
Chris H.
This could be interesting for Bay Window bus owners too. They aren't looking for massive boost, just a little more ooomph to push those toasters around.
McMark
Put in the new spark plugs. Didn't notice a difference.
Installed a new CHT sensor so I can turn cold start enrichment back on.

Still fighting some pinging. Sunday I'm going to pull out 10 degrees of timing and just see if it's possible to make it stop. If that doesn't work I need to sit down and think about what's causing this problem. Could be that the spark plugs are still too hot. Could be that the MS is doing something odd or the coils I'm using aren't up to it.

I also found out (by actually looking) that my engine is 8.2:1 compression, it's a W code engine. This is higher than I thought, but comparing it to other turbo engines out there it isn't out of line. ottox914 is running ~9:1 and 12+ psi of boost. I have a feeling something more than just tuning is the issue. I honestly don't expect pulling timing to make any difference, and the AFR while pinging is 10 to 1. confused24.gif
messix
when is it pining?

high load lower rpm, high load high rpm?
McMark
Pretty much anytime over 3/4 throttle (2600 RPM and above)
monkeyboy
Possible sharp edge in the head getting too hot?
McMark
Possible. Who knows. Gotta eliminate the tuning possibility first.
messix
you might have to add a boost indexed ign retard
McMark
Yeah, I've got a Spark Advance MAP I play with. I'm also going to try pulling the coil dwell time down from the currect 3.8ms setting to 2.5ms and see what kinds of effects that has. These coils are generic manufacturer coils, so I'm thinking that a much lower dwell may be necessary to keep the coils happy. I've already pulled about 8 degrees of timing and it's already running rich, and I'm only pushing 5psi of boost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.