Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress thread 74 2.0 to 3.0 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Luke M
It's too darn hot 90+ in the garage to do any welding so more engine work was done.
I got the case all cleaned up and JB weld applied to the areas that needed it. I had the machine shop clean the case and it came out looking pretty good. I still gave it a once over before the assembly started. I'm glad that I did as I found a large piece of aluminum stuck in one of the oil pump feed holes. It was stuck in there pretty good but it finally came out. It goes to show to always inspect and clean even after it was done by someone else. Then I got the rods mounted to the crank, oil pump/shaft installed into the case. Time to seal it up.
Phoenix914
popcorn[1].gif

Looks like you're making good progress. Keep the pics coming!
Luke M
I got the head studs installed and set to 135 mm . They are all steel studs with some type of coating on them. Temporarily dropped the dizzy in as well.
This engine is getting some JE pistons with some reconditioned Nikasil cylinders.
beer3.gif
Luke M
Got the right rear GT kit installed. Started on the right sail panel. We are going to build a chassis jig to mount to then off the rotisserie it comes. Started on the front portion for now.
Luke M
Started building the chassis jig and the brackets to attach the 914 to it.
Got the jig and 914 leveled out. Started to build the mounting brackets. I should be able to finish making them up today. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
jmitro
fantastic work; very thorough.

Just curious why you're building a chassis jig? With the structural welding done, i wouldn't imagine any significant chassis flex when it comes off the rotisserie. confused24.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 10 2015, 08:10 AM) *

fantastic work; very thorough.

Just curious why you're building a chassis jig? With the structural welding done, i wouldn't imagine any significant chassis flex when it comes off the rotisserie. confused24.gif

I have another 914 that will need the chassis jig later on. I'll have to cut a good portion of the r/r & hell hole off the car. My brothers 914 chassis is solid now and measurements are within factory specs. I built the jig off his car as it was already on the rotisserie which made a few things easier to fabricate. I'll still use the jig to do more work on his 914 as the rotisserie work is just about done.

The next patient:
trojanhorsepower
Great work guys!
Luke M
Slow winter here but we got two transmissions rebuilt.
All new bearings, synchros, gear teeth, gaskets, and swapped gears.
It's pretty easy once you have all the tools to do it right.
Made up a custom 6 throttle linkage bracket too.
Gear Ratio is now : A, GA, O, X, flipped H.
It's going to be run with the 3.0 6 .
Luke M
3.0 is almost done. Waiting on cams, rockers then set the timing.

beer3.gif
Lucky9146
Man that is a labor of love. You are doing it right! Just went through the entire thread from the beginning. I had some breaks in time with my car too, but finally made it. Hang in and keep the updates coming! Everyone loves to see progress. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
mepstein
What kind of induction on the 3.0
Luke M
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 19 2018, 01:17 PM) *

Weber 40 IDA's with PMO manifolds.

Luke M
We've been working away slowly on my brothers 914. When we went to replace the rear trunk pan we found that the rear panel was damaged at some point in the past. Looks like it was backed into something vs being hit in the rear. So off it came and a new section was ordered from our friends at RD. Also in the works is the steel flare install.

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 25 2019, 04:31 AM) *

We've been working away slowly on my brothers 914. When we went to replace the rear trunk pan we found that the rear panel was damaged at some point in the past. Looks like it was backed into something vs being hit in the rear. So off it came and a new section was ordered from our friends at RD. Also in the works is the steel flare install.

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

It makes me sick to see the condition of many similar project cars in the beginning, and then amazed at the skill and determination exhibited to bring them back to life. Great work y'all! piratenanner.gif
Luke M
Got a few more things knocked off my brothers 914 project list.
Rear RD panel is in, R/R flare welded on, Maddog inner frame kit installed, and tested fitted the new rear trunk pan. Need to order some longer spot welding tongs then we can finish up the rear trunk.
Luke M
Worked on the rear trunk pan today. The spot welder worked great and best of all no grinding to do.
Root_Werks
I really like the spot welder you are using. Yes, no grinding!
Luke M
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 16 2021, 04:13 PM) *

I really like the spot welder you are using. Yes, no grinding!

The only downside is it's heavy so it takes two of us to work it. One holds the spot welder while other lines up and welds. I'll have to get some pics next time I'm at my brothers place. We finished the rear trunk pan install, rear sway bar brackets are in, and knocked out a few other small items. We did forget to install the lower trunk pan to rear panel/bumper support brackets. Oh well, it's on the to do list now.
Luke M
My brothers car has reached a huge milestone on Wed. The 914 is now blasted so epoxy will go on sometime early next week. Going out shortly to vacuum up some sand that was left over from blasting. The blast also revealed several more spots that need attention prior to primer.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 19 2018, 04:20 PM) *

Looking good! What cam's are you running?

I had my 3.0 with DC19 cams, weber 40's, 1 1/2" headers, re-curved dizzy for carbs and a good flowing muffler. Man it was a lot of fun. I was on a race track with a 81' 911 on slicks and I lapped him after about 10 minutes...

Since you have new pistons you can probably do even better cams...
Shivers
Nice work
rgalla9146

Luke.....you are a friggin' glutton.
A very skilled, very thorough glutton.
Was it conventional blasting ?....or something new ?
Luke M
[quote name='rgalla9146' date='Apr 29 2021, 06:24 PM' post='2912045']
Luke.....you are a friggin' glutton.
A very skilled, very thorough glutton.
Was it conventional blasting ?....or something new ?
[/quot

Hi Rory, beerchug.gif

Yeah we've been working like crazy here. Think I'll push my 6 blast out a few weeks so I can knock out my brothers 914. Plan is to prep the chassis for epoxy and spray color in the trunks, interior, and whole underside. We are gonna try and get that all done within 1 to 2 weeks. Then get the car back on it's wheels. The body work can then be done as time goes.

The blasting was a mix of sand and soda. I can still get a taste of the soda here n there.
All wet blast which is what they call dustless blasting. Keeps the panels from being damaged. It makes a mess still. We spent a few hours sucking out sand from the chassis. I plugged as many holes as possible prior to blast but stuff still gets everywhere.
I have the 914 in my heated garage with fans blowing 70 degree air all around it. So far a few spots flashed but over all not too bad. See if we can get epoxy on by Tues or Wed.
Luke M
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 29 2021, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 19 2018, 04:20 PM) *

Looking good! What cam's are you running?

I had my 3.0 with DC19 cams, weber 40's, 1 1/2" headers, re-curved dizzy for carbs and a good flowing muffler. Man it was a lot of fun. I was on a race track with a 81' 911 on slicks and I lapped him after about 10 minutes...

Since you have new pistons you can probably do even better cams...

Yes, we installed different cams. They should be fine for a street car. I believe Mark Henry is running the same cams in his 3.0 as well. Web Cam, grind # 120/104 , Part # 05-261. It should go down the road just fine.. driving.gif
Luke M
Oh what a PIA it has been getting all of this sand out of the chassis. We did get to spray a door in epoxy on Tues. Then the rain moved in and that was it for the day. We will do some welding on the chassis either today or tmrw. The blast exposed several areas that need some minor attention. We are gonna get all of the smaller parts in epoxy and leave the chassis for last.
Luke M
Well after weeks of cleaning and prepping we finally got my brothers 914 in epoxy, seam sealed and into paint. The whole underside, inner fenders, engine bay, interior, and both trunks are body color. The exterior needs to be finished yet. We still need to do a final sand and clean to the body. Once that's done my brother will have a buddy of his that does paint work finish the exterior. We got the suspension installed along with the steering column. Still waiting on several brake parts to arrive then will get the brakes all plumbed and bled before she heads out of my garage. Meantime we will install a few other items. Stay tuned. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Great progress and it is a roller again. beerchug.gif
rgalla9146

Luke your brothers car looks great !
When in the middle of that process it seems the jobs just keep piling up....
the more you do the more you STILL have to do.....there's no way out...but
with every complete part there is a good feeling of accomplishment.
You've done plenty.
Fantastic !
What color will it be ?..... looks Gray ?
You've taken a good order of jobs....paint insides and bottom including wheelhouses
then make it a roller, do the dash and wiring, etc.etc. then onto paint.
Looks beautiful !
Luke M
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 19 2021, 02:06 PM) *

Luke your brothers car looks great !
When in the middle of that process it seems the jobs just keep piling up....
the more you do the more you STILL have to do.....there's no way out...but
with every complete part there is a good feeling of accomplishment.
You've done plenty.
Fantastic !
What color will it be ?..... looks Gray ?
You've taken a good order of jobs....paint insides and bottom including wheelhouses
then make it a roller, do the dash and wiring, etc.etc. then onto paint.
Looks beautiful !

Hi Rory,

Seams like the to do list never ends..lol

Like you said do more now vs later. I'm thinking that will also help with not scratching the new paint job too. Color is almost a Gray primer looking color. Think it's a Dodge color code. I'd have to confirm with my brother as he got the paint. See how the weekend goes here as we may knockout a few more things.

beerchug.gif

Luke M
We've been working away here.. Got the brakes installed, adjusted, and bled. My brother went with a 19 mm ATE master, New brake lines from PMB, SS flex lines, Aluminum front 911 S calipers w/SS pistons, and PMB rebuilt 6 calipers to GT spec.
Wrapped up a few suspension items as well. Got the SS fuel lines installed. Local auto parts store was out of 3/8'' fuel hose so got some of that coming in.

Got the factory 6 oil tank installed. Actually went in pretty easy.. oh wait did I say easy... I forgot to remove the engine heater fan holder in the left engine shelf.. Yup it's in the way and can't mount the oil filter now.. Great, hopefully I do not wreck the fresh paint getting it out of there. Otherwise my brothers 914 is off the rotisserie and back on it's wheels. Only took 8 years... blink.gif wacko.gif
Root_Werks
That's some fast progress! Looking good!
mepstein
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 21 2013, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Jun 21 2013, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 21 2013, 04:56 AM) *

I figured why not start this thread. The car is a 74 914 2.0 that's been sitting since the early 90's. It was parked outside/in the woods up until my brother purchased it last fall. It didn't look too bad from 20 feet away but when you look closer it gets pretty bad. So, here's the plan... strip the car, fix the rust problems, paint it, add a 5 lug suspension, and convert it to a 3.0 6. Stay tuned for pics of the progress..

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

lol-2.gif I'll check back in 5-7 years when it's done! lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif

A funny guy.. lol-2.gif

Heck it better not take that long. I figure at the most 2 years.. smash.gif

I'll post a few pics for you guys tmrw...

biggrin.gif
Justinp71

Looking good smilie_pokal.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 13 2021, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 21 2013, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Jun 21 2013, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 21 2013, 04:56 AM) *

I figured why not start this thread. The car is a 74 914 2.0 that's been sitting since the early 90's. It was parked outside/in the woods up until my brother purchased it last fall. It didn't look too bad from 20 feet away but when you look closer it gets pretty bad. So, here's the plan... strip the car, fix the rust problems, paint it, add a 5 lug suspension, and convert it to a 3.0 6. Stay tuned for pics of the progress..

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

lol-2.gif I'll check back in 5-7 years when it's done! lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif

A funny guy.. lol-2.gif

Heck it better not take that long. I figure at the most 2 years.. smash.gif

I'll post a few pics for you guys tmrw...

biggrin.gif

blink.gif bootyshake.gif lol-2.gif

Time flies when you're having fun.. laugh.gif
Looks like my brothers car will be hanging around my place a few more weeks.
We are gonna get the engine and trans installed before it heads to his place.
He just got the rebuilt engine rockers in so looks like engine work is in order now.

Luke M
We've been chipping away at the list here. Got the exterior of the 914 in epoxy. Oh the fun... I think we sanded the whole car at least four or five times prior to epoxy.
Got the 3.0 pretty much done. I can't seam to locate the dizzy green wire so now waiting for that to come in. We also decided to build a engine test stand. Figured this was way easier then having to pull the engine to re-torque everything after run in.
It wasn't a bad build. We repurposed the chassis stand we built several years ago.
Had the stand pretty much done in three days.
Luke M
We got the 3.0 on the test stand today. I'm gonna try and see if we can get this baby fired up by the end of the week.
Luke M
Fired up the 3.0 tonight... She's a runner and sounds sweet. piratenanner.gif

If I only knew how to post a video clip here. I guess a pic will have to do for now.
Krieger
Congratulations! Great feeling isn't it
rgalla9146

Go Go Go Luke !
Engine start up before install is so good, best way to go with new or unknown
engine.
You and your brother are quite a team.
Great work !
More pics please !
Root_Werks
Holy running engines Batman! I applaud your abilities and speed of progress! There are times I forget I have a 914.
Luke M
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 15 2021, 05:26 AM) *

Go Go Go Luke !
Engine start up before install is so good, best way to go with new or unknown
engine.
You and your brother are quite a team.
Great work !
More pics please !

Hi Rory,

My brother and I have been working away here. I rebuilt the 3.0 a few years ago now but was sitting on the engine stand until recently. I wanted to run the engine outside the car cause it's just way easier to see problems. I didn't want to have to pull it out of the car after I ran it to torque everything again. The test stand wasn't bad to build and cost was under $500 for what I needed to buy for it. The cost was worth not having to crawl under the car well not just yet anyways. Getting the engine on the stand was easy and straight forward. It's mounted on factory trans/motor mounts so nothing special there. I had a bad trans case hanging around so I'm using that on the back half. Wiring is easy once I had the proper schematic in hand. Using MSD 6al for the ignition and just a facet fuel pump for fuel supply. I had an issue with the new starter cranking slow but that was fixed with an extra ground wire to the front of the engine mount. Once the carbs had fuel in them the engine fired right up. I was shocked at how close I had dialed the carbs in on the bench. I still need to fine tune them but 1st I want to get a few heat cycles done and re-torque everything. Once that's done I'll go back and tune the Webers. I'll try to figure out how to post a video here.
Dion
Nice work going on there. Congrats on the engine start!
Luke M
Lets see if the video works..

https://youtu.be/Y8Q5FdB5xvI
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 16 2021, 10:53 AM) *

Lets see if the video works..

https://youtu.be/Y8Q5FdB5xvI

Sounds and looks great!

Dan
Luke M
We had a busy weekend here. Got the wire harness all squared away and started to install that along with the dash. Got the 914rubber engine bay seal in, oil filter installed, and ran the 3.0 again. I'll get the wire harness mostly installed on Monday. Anyone remember what the fix was for the 914rubber harness snorkel when used in a later 914? It has a larger diameter hole on the fire wall then the early cars.
Luke M
So I'm stuck with the harness install in the engine bay. Anyone know how to fix this issue with the snorkel. I recall seeing something on this several years ago but I can't locate that thread.

@Mikey914

rgalla9146
Luke how about this ?
Work up the dimensions from the snorkel and whittle it up from alum sheet.
Can be done with or without the slot. With the slot make two and face them opposite each other. Easy peasy.
The tube can be shortened and glued with contact cement, shrink tube or electric tape.
I employed a ten year old artist. biggrin.gif
Mikey914
The fix had been to use a small section of sheet metal. I would like to make the larger ones also, I've almost broken even on the tooling for the small ones we made. I will put it on the list, but we are about 6 months out.
Justinp71

Nice build! That will be a blast to drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.