Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress thread 74 2.0 to 3.0 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Luke M
I figured why not start this thread. The car is a 74 914 2.0 that's been sitting since the early 90's. It was parked outside/in the woods up until my brother purchased it last fall. It didn't look too bad from 20 feet away but when you look closer it gets pretty bad. So, here's the plan... strip the car, fix the rust problems, paint it, add a 5 lug suspension, and convert it to a 3.0 6. Stay tuned for pics of the progress..

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Cupomeat
Looking forward to it!
aktion035.gif
PanelBilly
Hey, that's my plan!
Dasnowman
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 21 2013, 04:56 AM) *

I figured why not start this thread. The car is a 74 914 2.0 that's been sitting since the early 90's. It was parked outside/in the woods up until my brother purchased it last fall. It didn't look too bad from 20 feet away but when you look closer it gets pretty bad. So, here's the plan... strip the car, fix the rust problems, paint it, add a 5 lug suspension, and convert it to a 3.0 6. Stay tuned for pics of the progress..

lol-2.gif I'll check back in 5-7 years when it's done! lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Jun 21 2013, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 21 2013, 04:56 AM) *

lol-2.gif I'll check back in 5-7 years when it's done! lol-2.gif stirthepot.gif

A funny guy.. lol-2.gif

Heck it better not take that long. I figure at the most 2 years.. smash.gif

I'll post a few pics for you guys tmrw...
Luke M
Here's a few pics of the car when it was purchased last fall..
Then the current state of work.. Rear pan section, lower engine/interior firewall, right engine shelf & inner control arm mount, rear trunk floor, & pedal area are rusted out.
There's more panels that need replacement but this is to be taken care of first.
Luke M
Rust repair in the works.. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
welder.gif
Spoke
Good luck and happy welding.

Looks like a typical east coast 914.

Is that /6 cylinder engine going in this 914?
Luke M
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 22 2013, 04:40 PM) *

Good luck and happy welding.

Looks like a typical east coast 914.

Is that /6 cylinder engine going in this 914?

Yeah typical rust issues for a NE car for sure. I've seen worse then this but this will take sometime to repair.
No that engine on the trailer was sold but my brother has an 83 3.0 sc engine that's going in it. I'll post pics of parts when I get some time.
Luke M
Replacing the r/r inner control arm mount was a real pain in the ass. As you can see by the pics someone attempted to repair it. Talk about a hack job. The inner control arm mount hole was so big that the the arm moved every which way. It now has a nice new mount installed. I have to give RD a plug for the replacement tins that we got. They seam to all fit real nice without any sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif into place.

Luke M
Some of the parts that will be used :

Original 914-6 rear calipers w/ GT spacer kit redone by Eric.
S front calipers & Boge struts off a late 911 Carrera.
83 3.0 SC engine will get some 40 IDA Weber carbs.
Front suspension.
Rear sway bar mount.
rick 918-S
Nice start! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Luke M
I'm back to it here. Finally had some time to fix a few more things on my brothers car. We got the pedal cluster sheet metal replaced and repaired the inner fender corner. Also installed the Maddog sway bar plates. Thanks to Bruce Stone for the replacement sheet metal. It made the repair a lot easier to cut out the bad sections and weld in some good metal. At first we where going to use just plain old sheet metal to patch things up but as I thought about it I changed my mind. I ended up sourcing the replacement metal from guys that where parting out some good old somewhat rust free CA cars. We are still waiting on a pair of longs from a CA guy. We will cut and splice in the new/used metal to fix the rust problems in the longs.
Then once the floors and the lower firewall are installed it will get the Maddog inner chassis kit installed. A GT chassis kit will also find it's way onto the car at some point.
Enjoy the pics.
Jamesmichael73
Thats some nice work. I will be following this build for sure.
r_towle
Parked outside in Rochester Ny, the northeast capital of snowfall....
Wow, you are taking on a challenge.
Luke M
Finally got some sheet metal in from a CA parts car.. Not so rust free like I was told but it's better then what we have to work with now. Started to clean up the right side and found that someone laid down a 1/4 '' of bondo on top of the hell hole..
I got it scrapped off and found some rust. It must be that salt in the CA air taking it's toll.. blink.gif

Here's a few pics..enjoy
914forme
Thats some nice work your doing. And don't feel bad, CA cars do rust. Compared to our stuff and its might as well not be rust, will call it oxidation.
Luke M
My brother and I finally got a few things done on the car.
We cut out the rusty long portions on the pass side and replaced it with some good metal. The heater tubes inside the longs will not be needed so we took it out.
Once all the longs are fixed up a maddog inner long kit will be installed.
We are also thinking about installing a set of clam shells from RD.
Some may say it's over kill to install both but we want a solid chassis for auto-x/track duty. The next step is to get the drivers side done then move to the lower firewall.

trojanhorsepower
Man that looks familiar. Looks like it is going well though. What was your primary tool for cleaning the paint and junk off the metal?
jimkelly
that's a pretty big - and nicely done - repair. check your door gaps throughout the process.
Luke M
The door gaps should be ok as I placed the cross bars in prior to cutting anything.
I know things will move about as I'm cutting and welding but plan to address this prior to welding in the Maddog/RD pieces.

I used a 90 degree handheld air grinder and the b-blater to clean things up.
The plan is to have the car media blasted once all metal work is done.
trojanhorsepower
Luke M,
Are you using a stone head or wire or pad?
Luke M
[quote name='trojanhorsepower' date='Nov 24 2013, 09:32 AM' post='1961623']
Luke M,
Are you using a stone head or wire or pad.

It depends on the area that I'm working on but I use all of the above.
I'm also using a sand blasting cabinet for parts that fit in it.
I also have a hand held blast unit from hb for those tight areas .
maddog
Nice work Luke, I am enjoying the pics and watching your progress!
wndsnd
Well I know what you are dealing with. You are lucky you have your brother for help.

My car came out of Bangor Maine. I am sure most would have scrapped it. I said to my wife "Looks like a nice little project."

Rockers panels fell off the car while it was being hauled to my house. That was the beginning. I wish more crap fell off because the rest was rust welded together.

Keep the faith. Nice job.

John
Luke M
The work continues. The right long is done and started on the left side.
The heater tubes where deleted as this car will not see winter driving.
We are going to install another heat/defrost source later in the front trunk.
Installed the doors to check the door gaps and they fit nice.
Here a few pics.
Luke M
It's been a while since I updated this so here we go.
After looking over the chassis and making a list of panels that needed to be replaced. My brother and I decided that the lower firewall needed to be done. After all this 914 is getting a 3.0 6 so the firewall is going to be a huge structural piece. I started looking for a replacement panel but locating one seamed impossible. I knew that RD made a lower 5 '' replacement panel but that wasn't going to work for our need. I gave Pete at RD a call and was advised that they where working on making a full lower firewall panel. I was advised that it would take sometime to make it.
I told Pete that we could wait for the part to be made. After a long wait, I was notified that the lower firewall was finally in the production/sale phase.
I have to say that working with/communicating with Pete at RD has been great.
The order will be placed today for it.
Luke M
Well now that the cold weather has kinda gone away it's time to start on the 914 again. We got the car prepped for the lower firewall and rear floor pan.
The new RD firewall required some work to fit well but it wasn't too bad to do.
Tested fitted the floor pan and inner lower firewall. Checked over the throttle and clutch tubes. I'm thinking of adding some extra support brackets to the tubes before closing it up. The inner floor cross support was in bad shape so out it came. We got a new one on the way from RD. Also fixed some spots in the right long area.

Looks like a lot more of sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif beerchug.gif

Cairo94507
Wow- Nice work. Doing it right is the only way to do it.

On the Internet, we see a lot of cars claiming to be bare metal restorations, etc., and they are not really as claimed. If you are doing this level of work to your car, failing to take before, in progress and finished photos, (to me) means it was not done properly.

This is the way to do this- first.gif
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 6 2015, 10:31 AM) *

Well now that the cold weather has kinda gone away it's time to start on the 914 again. We got the car prepped for the lower firewall and rear floor pan.
Tested fitted the floor pan and inner lower firewall. Checked over the throttle and clutch tubes. I'm thinking of adding some extra support brackets to the tubes before closing it up. The inner floor cross support was in bad shape so out it came. We got a new one on the way from RD. Also fixed some spots in the right long area.

Awesome work there.
I notice the lower fw, though, seems to go down further on the passenger side relative to the bottom of the long... or else the long is higher on the passenger side.

I have a situation like that in my project, going to take some major rework to get even - the welding I did to the inner fenderwell, the inner suspension console and all in that area actually shrunk that side by just under a quarter inch. I found it when I went to fit up the engine mount bar, though I guess you're doing a 6 to have no mounts. Just thought I'd mention it, might be an issue.

Luke M
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 6 2015, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 6 2015, 10:31 AM) *

Awesome work there.
I notice the lower fw, though, seems to go down further on the passenger side relative to the bottom of the long... or else the long is higher on the passenger side.

I have a situation like that in my project, going to take some major rework to get even - the welding I did to the inner fenderwell, the inner suspension console and all in that area actually shrunk that side by just under a quarter inch. I found it when I went to fit up the engine mount bar, though I guess you're doing a 6 to have no mounts. Just thought I'd mention it, might be an issue.

It's off because it's not fully welded in yet. It's only welded at the top portion and I need to take some measurements off the parts car that my brother has. Once I have all the measurements we'll tack the lower portion in place. Then we will fit the other panels to make sure it all lines up. If all is good at that point we will finishing up the welding. Measure a hundred times , cut and weld once. Yes, it's going to get a RJ 6 mount welded to the lower firewall. Once all the work is done the car will find it's way to the media blaster. I'm sure this will reveal more areas that will need attention.
Luke M
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 6 2015, 11:24 AM) *

Wow- Nice work. Doing it right is the only way to do it.

On the Internet, we see a lot of cars claiming to be bare metal restorations, etc., and they are not really as claimed. If you are doing this level of work to your car, failing to take before, in progress and finished photos, (to me) means it was not done properly.

This is the way to do this- first.gif

Just like your 6 build. It's best to document everything that you do to it.. If it's not documented, it never happened in some peoples eyes. We have a lot of pics of the car in many different stages throughout the build. We also have pics to document the parts being used and the drive line work that's being performed.
Over the winter we rebuilt the org side shift trans to this car. It's all new inside from bearings to gear ratios.
Luke M
It's been a busy weekend. We got the lower outer firewall and 75 % of the floor pan welded in place. It took some time making sure the measurements where right. Installed the Tangerine firewall shifter bushing prior to installing the floor pan. Just an FYI if anyone is going to use the RD lower fire wall. You will need parts off your old firewall welded onto the new one. There's an inner shifter bushing plate, e-brake tubes, speedo cable tube, and the brake proportioning valve bracket.
nathansnathan
That looks awesome. first.gif
Don't forget the interties connecting the inner and out suspension consoles.
I forgot to say shout outs to WNY - I grew up in Buffalo, NY, like between Lockport and North Tonawanda area. beer.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 13 2015, 02:35 PM) *

That looks awesome. first.gif
Don't forget the interties connecting the inner and out suspension consoles.
I forgot to say shout outs to WNY - I grew up in Buffalo, NY, like between Lockport and North Tonawanda area. beer.gif

Yeah I need to see if I can remove one from the parts car. I'm not sure if RD makes them but I only need the pass side. Be glad you don't live in the Buffalo area now.
They got killed with snow this year. I have family and friends that live in Lockport.
trojanhorsepower
Lookin good!
914Sixer
Top Notch job !!!
Luke M
We got the floor pan/seat mount reinforcement all welded in, new RD cross member installed, RD lower inner firewall is in, installed a new RD right front trunk reinforcement corner, made some reinforcement plates for the inner engine long, and the right rear floor jack point is in. Yeah, we had a busy day.. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif beer3.gif
Looking great!!!
peteyd
Looks great Luke! How did the cross member fit in? Its good to see the new parts installed. I rarely get much feedback about the new parts Im making.

I will eventually make the other bits that attach to the outer firewall also.
Luke M
QUOTE(peteyd @ May 15 2015, 01:38 PM) *

Looks great Luke! How did the cross member fit in? Its good to see the new parts installed. I rarely get much feedback about the new parts Im making.

Hi Pete,

Other then the small problem we talked about on the phone it went in fairly easy.
We got all of the replacement metal from RD and so far what we've installed fits well. Most panels needed some minor fitting adjustments other then that the fit was great.

Keep up the great work on making us these and more replacement panels.

Thanks again for some great products.
3d914
QUOTE(Luke M @ May 15 2015, 02:09 PM) *

Hi Pete,

Other then the small problem we talked about on the phone it went in fairly easy.
We got all of the replacement metal from RD and so far what we've installed fits well. Most panels needed some minor fitting adjustments other then that the fit was great.

While Pete's watching - do you make a weldin piece for the master cylinder at the pedal cluster? Luke, didn't you repair this area also? My whole front floor is great except for that portion behind the pedal cluster.
Luke M
QUOTE(3d914 @ May 15 2015, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ May 15 2015, 02:09 PM) *

Hi Pete,

While Pete's watching - do you make a weldin piece for the master cylinder at the pedal cluster? Luke, didn't you repair this area also? My whole front floor is great except for that portion behind the pedal cluster.

Yes, I had to fix the pedal area. I got a piece from a parts car that Bruce was cutting up.
Luke M
Back to it here.. smash.gif welder.gif

We got the engine shelf in on the right side, added a stainless plate over the hell hole area, started to install the RJ engine mount, and welded up a few areas under the fuel tank. After the engine mount install it's time to tackle the rear trunk pan, install the mad dog kit, and outer frame stiffeners from RD. We are hoping to have all of the welding done by the end of July.. beerchug.gif
Luke M
My brother and I got a few more things done on his 914.
Took the door sill off and lower rusty door jam.
We fixed a few spots in the long and test fitted the RD longitudinal frame stiffener overlays. Just an fyi, if you have a GT kit installed and plan to use these they will require some fitting at the rear by the outer suspension mounts.
Next we will remove the stiffener, coat the longs, and test fit the door prior to welding them in.

smash.gif welder.gif drunk.gif
Luke M
We got the drivers side chassis stiffener, door sill, and door jam installed.
Test fitted the door and all fits well. Looks like it's time to hit up RD for a few more pieces of sheet metal.
Luke M
Wrapped up the drivers side and moved on to the pass side.
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif beer3.gif
Luke M
Moving forward on the pass side. Cut out and replaced the rusty metal with some from a parts car. Installed/prepped the right frame stiffener over the longitudinal.
Next step is to weld it in along with the door sill then the door jam and the
roof pillar panel. That should complete the pass side.

Luke M
It's been way too hot and muggy here to do any welding on the car.
Figured why not take a break from that and get the motor prepped.
My brother picked up an 83 3.0 a while back from a guy doing a 3.6 upgrade.
The shop that was doing the work said it was resealed not long ago and was a good running engine with good leak down numbers. I was looking it over and figured before I get too crazy installing the fan, wiring, flywheel, tins, and cooler to check the cylinder head torque. The 3.0 are known for broken head studs but was advised these are good. I wanted a piece of mind so I checked them anyway. Well guess what, The first lower head stud that I went to check snapped right off. I was like just great , now it's time to tear into this. I got the heads off and could clearly see that the stud had been broken for some time but didn't snap off. I checked all of the lower studs and sure enough three more where ready to let go. I could tell that someone had recently been in the engine at least on the top end by the new seals/sealant. Could the stud issue been know at that time? Guess I'll never know. Based on a sketchy " known " history we decided it was best to take it all down. Good thing we did tear it all apart as the #5 rod bearing looked like it was ready to let go soon too. Guess the " good " motor deal just turned into a major overhaul. Well not really cause my brother did get sweet deal on this motor and good luck finding a core for that price. One of the studs snapped right off too low to get out so I tried to welded a nut on it but it just wouldn't let go. It kept breaking the stud. That was it I said. I just dropped off several parts to the machine shop so now it's time to order up the stuff needed to put this baby back together. Oh and it's getting some upgrades now that it's apart.. Stay tuned.
Luke M
The case and a few other parts came back from the machine shop at end of last week. I'm waiting on two vendors to send me the rest of my parts order so in the mean time we knocked out some more chassis work. We got the RJ engine mount, right frame stiffener, and sill welded in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.