Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Gauge lighting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
timothy_nd28
Yes, go ahead and send them to me as well.
timothy_nd28
Had some extra time this weekend. I soldered up 20 sets of the RGB led flex strips with 2' of wire
Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
I have an opening in the first ten. Anyone that wants to be added to this list, PM me.

Kit and Labor (*)= first 10 orders with price @ 95.00 kit & 100 labor
(Members)............(Cylinders).............(Redline (yes/no) RPM?)...............(Yellow warn (yes/no) RPM?)

*ThePaintedMan_____4______________ yes @ 4800____________________yes @ 4000
*monkeyboy _______4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4000
*mrholland2________4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4200
*914socal__________4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4200
*lonewolfe
*no1uno____________4______________yes@ 5000___________________yes @ 4000
*SirAndy___________ 6_______________yes@ 6800____________________yes @ 6000
*Jakeodoule_________4_______________yes@ 5000____________________yes @ 4200
*balljoint____________4_______________yes@ 4914___________________yes @ 4000
*Rdauenhauer _______4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4000
..................................................................................

eric9144__________4
mikeyb33__(Aug/Sept)
Harpo_____________4_______________yes @ 5000____________________no

Kits only

Mr.242
StratPlayer
mepstein__________6______________yes @ 6850_________________________?
Madswede
poorsche914
Gary
914werke
Here's a question: Which is preferred - glass face or plastic?
timothy_nd28
Glass is better IMHO, plastic tends to get scratched easily. I have the local glass guy cutting me 10 lenses. Hopefully they will be ready in a few days.
Mr.242
I won't be doing my lights until this winter. I'm in a holding pattern. I just might send them off to you to ensure it's done correctly and the calibration on the 'redline' settings.

Still want this done and beerchug.gif Nice work on this!!!
timothy_nd28
Had some time today and built the next 10 circuit boards.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 30 2013, 03:54 PM) *
Glass is better IMHO, plastic tends to get scratched easily. I have the local glass guy cutting me 10 lenses. Hopefully they will be ready in a few days.

Did you also get glass for the 100mm speedo?
My speedo i sent you is from a 944 and has that ugly cone shaped plastic lens on it.

If you have a glass that fits, i'd be happy to take that off your hands. Already got the glass drill to make the hole for the odo reset button.

Oh, and "while you are in there", can you please remove some of the paper of the custom gauge face for my tach when it's apart?
The hole is too small and the tach needle drags on the paper and doesn't go back to zero.
rolleyes.gif
timothy_nd28
Local glass guy cut all 20 tach lenses 3/16" too big headbang.gif Hopefully he will have them back to me in a few days.
Bartlett 914
I had a chance to meet Tim at the 914 meeting at Garolds in Portage Indiana today. Tim had his LED gauges setup on display. This setup is really impressive. Well worth the cost IMHO
timothy_nd28
Thanks, it was great meeting all of you today!

Guys, many of you have received or will be receiving shortly the gauges you sent me for this mod.

I have failed you with providing instructions on how to install this back into your car. I will make a video showing instructions very very soon. Till then, the controller has a green connector that has 6 connection points. The power side of the connector, marked + and - . The negative ties to the brown daisy chained wire. The positive ties to the black and blue striped gauge light wires. This will enable the controller to turn on when you pull the headlight switch. It is important that the rheostat on the headlight switch is turned clockwise max, for full voltage to the controller. Supplied in the kits, I have a length of wire with 2 conductors. Use this to tie into the car's wiring harness. I have also supplied some wire crimp connectors, to splice into the car's wiring harness, without actually cutting the wire.

The other 4 terminals on the green connector is for the LED's. Each gauge will have a ribbon cable (blue,green,red,black). The blue wire from the gauges goes to the B terminal on the RGB controller. The green and red wires goes to the G and R terminal on the RGB controller. The black wire from the gauges goes to the V+ terminal.

Now, on the other side of the controller, you will have 2 color wires black and purple. The black wire needs to tie into the fuel reserve lamp which happens to be black on the car's wiring harness. The purple wire is for tach sense, which will tie into the car's tach wire (black and purple stripe).

The fuel reserve lamp must be incandescent. If you are using a LED light for the fuel reserve, it will be slightly illuminated.

Also, the remote that comes with the kit. You must remove the battery saver plastic film, for the remote to actually work.

I have found a good place to mount the RGB controller. Behind the gauges, you will see a mount that supports the steering wheel shaft. There is a cavity that this RGB controller will slide into. I have supplied cable zip ties to secure the this controller in that area. Totally up to you on where you mount this. I'm sure that I'm forgetting things, but I'll get a video up soon showing a step by step procedure.
timothy_nd28
It should be also noted that if your child or co-pilot is in possession of the remote control while night driving, that I shall not be held responsible for epileptic seizures due to someone pushing the disco mode button! biggrin.gif
timothy_nd28
My first 10 orders are now complete. smilie_pokal.gif The assembly went flawlessly with the exception of SirAndy's type I clock.
The style type I clock seems to have issues with removing the clock hands, which is needed to gain access behind the face dial.

I have gone thru the numbers with this kit, and I'm somewhat upside down with the current pricing. Assembling each controller from start to finish is just over 3 hours each, and the parts needed to do an install is over 100 dollars on my end. Sadly, I will need to increase the price with this kit for it to make sense of me doing it.

New kit price: $200.00

This kit will include a (calibrated to your requested RPMS) RGB controller, remote control, 3 strips of RGB led's precut and flat ribbon cable.

If you want me to do the labor, I will sell the kit for $200.00 dollars and charge $100 for labor. Grand total of me doing everything is $300.00

If you choose to have me do everything, I will paint the needles and replace the fuel reserve gel on the combo gauge. I will also replace your plastic lenses with glass for an extra 10 dollars each.
Mblizzard
Even with the increase I still want these! Hopefully once I get all of my current projects in the car I can send them to you. But I am hoping to bribe a bit first.
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 12 2013, 01:05 PM) *

Even with the increase I still want these! Hopefully once I get all of my current projects in the car I can send them to you. But I am hoping to bribe a bit first.

You can bribe me with a JWest shift kit! biggrin.gif driving.gif
balljoint
Just got mine! wub.gif They look fantastic!
914socal
It has been great and enjoyable to drive at night. The reserve warning saved my ass last night! I left work and the lights staring freaking out on me and then going solid red as gas bounced around the tank. I thought for a moment the control box was going bad. I get on the freeway and it flickers and then goes solid red. Then the bulb in my head went off and I look at the needle on empty. Pulled over and got gas and the dash flickering went away, the reserve warning did what it was suppose to. My brain just took a second to catch up. They are great. The only problem i have is that when i put the stock light for the high beams i think the LED over power from seeing the high beam light on tach. Something to look into. I am interested in your tach conversion as well because you did see the issue mine was having.
Mblizzard
Still dying to get this upgrade. But have to finish the mechanical first!
mrholland2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 24 2013, 05:01 AM) *

Do what I did: Get it done and keep the gauges in a box until the other crap is done.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Aug 26 2013, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 24 2013, 05:01 AM) *

Do what I did: Get it done and keep the gauges in a box until the other crap is done.

Would love to do that but the CFO is watching purchases closely after I have spent $4k in the last month or so. Soon though very soon!
Mblizzard
Ok after talking with Tim and getting the OK from the wife, I am pulling the trigger on these. Sending the gauges out today. If you are holding back on these talk to Tim and express your interest. We may be able to twist his arm into doing a discount group buy. I have discussed the components with him and this is quality stuff that you won't get from a made in China source.

I am really impressed with these and I should have them in my car for Okteenerfest if anyone wants to see them in action!

I may also have a second set that may be a demo for everyone to see outside the car.

piratenanner.gif
Mblizzard
OK lights installed. Driving at night is amazing. Went to a neighborhood gathering where there were a number of younger guys with various sport cars from Fiat X-19s to BMW M3s. It was really cool to find all of them gathered around my car wanting to see the gauges.

Better yet is the wife is content to ride in the car and play with the remote making colors. Wins on the cool factor hands down and keeps my wife from commenting on my driving. Oh and you can actually see the gauges. Well worth the investment. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Great job Tim!
ben*james
That is so cool! I gotta have it.
timothy_nd28
Thank you, I'm glad you like them. beerchug.gif

I just restored and modded Chris Foley's gauges for the Northeast 914 Rally & Barbeque giveaway.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I neglected to take some before pictures, but I'm happy with the way these turned out.
euro911
Just noticed the mileage on the speedo smoke.gif
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 8 2013, 06:30 PM) *

Just noticed the mileage on the speedo smoke.gif

I thought it would be a nice touch sunglasses.gif
Sleepin
Wow!

This was the first time I saw this thread. Read from post #1 on... when I read the original price I actually thought "I hope he charges more for these".

I think it is an excellent product and now well worth the increase to $300!

I applaud your innovation! Good work!

Hopefully I will send my gauges to you someday.
timothy_nd28
Here's a video showing a demo with the remote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXjKZ15-qTM
914werke
DISCO!!
Mblizzard
Disco? When your wife is constantly changes the colors as you are driving it can certainly seem that way!

But still one of the coolest things I have done to my car.
Rob-O
Tim, have you thought about doing this with the center console gauges?
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 12 2013, 07:54 PM) *

Yes I have
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The newer molded plastic gauges can't be disassembled, so the LEDs are fished into the housing thru the lamp hole. Seems to work
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 12 2013, 07:54 PM) *

I have to send mine to trim. I had him do the main gauges but completely overlooked the center ones headbang.gif

Of course I did not realize this until Tim was on the phone helping me with the install. But it is still amazing and sending the centers will be an easy swap.
Shindog1961
wub.gif I love what you have done! I want them in my new project when it's finished. How much for dash, center console and two strips a few feet long for under dash lighting to replace the interior light?
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(Shindog1961 @ Sep 13 2013, 08:00 PM) *

wub.gif I love what you have done! I want them in my new project when it's finished. How much for dash, center console and two strips a few feet long for under dash lighting to replace the interior light?

350 for everything. For an extra 50 dollars, I'll update your tachometer
Shindog1961
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 13 2013, 10:08 PM) *

Great I'll let you know when I'm ready.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 13 2013, 08:08 PM) *

I guess I will have to send my tach back when I send the centers. That was something else I wanted.
r_towle
I won a set at the New England Classic at Tangerine Racing.

Tim, you DA man
timothy_nd28
smilie_pokal.gif Congrats
monkeyboy
You won't be disappointed. They work awesome and Tim's service is second to none.

Very quick turnaround, and he did all sorts of little tricks to mine as experiments that made them even nicer.
timothy_nd28
Any other takers? sawzall-smiley.gif
kshighlander
Yes let me get mine out of the car then will send them off to you.

Lawrence

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 29 2013, 04:13 PM) *

Any other takers? sawzall-smiley.gif

worn
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 1 2013, 05:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I bought some strip lighting to play with, but I would really like a couple boards to try too. My strip lighting is driven by a non remote, but I think I can make it work. Currently I have five meters of changing color led s keeping my wife awake first.gif
Can you sell me a couple boards?
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 12 2013, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 1 2013, 05:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I bought some strip lighting to play with, but I would really like a couple boards to try too. My strip lighting is driven by a non remote, but I think I can make it work. Currently I have five meters of changing color led s keeping my wife awake first.gif
Can you sell me a couple boards?

Sure, sending PM
timothy_nd28
Finals are done, and the semester is over with! biggrin.gif
Now that I have some down time, I had a chance to build some more controllers.
Click to view attachment
Being that I'm in the Christmas spirit santa_smiley.gif I decided to drop the prices for a winter sale.

100 dollars for the controller and 100 dollars labor. Supplies are limited so first come first serve.
timothy_nd28
Also, I'm willing to upgrade your tachometer with a modern motor as an extra service or install my RGB LED's into you center console gauges.
Rleog
Thanks a bunch, Tim.
And Merry Christmas
timothy_nd28
Hey guys, I need to update a small technical problem with the LED's that I spec'd out. The RGB's green led is way brighter than the the red and blue led. This is what you get when choosing Chinese products!

The fix, add a 1 watt 100 ohm resistor at the green connector in series to the green wire. This will tone down the green and make all 3 colors more balanced. Some may have noticed that my custom controller flips to a greenish yellow color at 4k then to red at 5k rpm. This 100 ohm resistor will rectify the problem and make the greenish yellow to a more pronounced yellow.

ThePaintedMan
Free bump for a great product and awesome guy. I FINALLY got around to displaying Tim's awesome work where it is needed most... on the track! I still need to take pictures so you can see everything more clearly, but this is a good example of how the gauges work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTXGqoECuM

You'll notice at around the 0:26 mark how the gauges switch from blue to red as I approach redline. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to test this motor before the race, and it turns out the powerband really stops right before the 5K shift-light point, so for the most part the guages really didn't change color much. Tim can change that point for you before you order the gauges though so eventually I'll have to have him knock it back a few hundred RPMS. Either way, a great product and it was nice being able to see the gauges at night in some of the darkest places around Sebring. Thanks Tim!
76-914
Those look great! poke.gif Maybe Tim can adjust them to keep those other cars from passing you. lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.