Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Gauge lighting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
balljoint
Ouch. pinch.gif

Tim's lights have saved me from a few nighttime speeding tickets. I already have to convert mph to kph while I'm driving. The well lit dash lets me see exactly what I am doing.

And it powers the solar calculator nicely. biggrin.gif
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 30 2014, 08:11 AM) *

Those look great! poke.gif Maybe Tim can adjust them to keep those other cars from passing you. lol-2.gif

Maybe on the next board revision, we can incorporate a built in EMP generator to target those passing cars idea.gif

George, adjusting these controllers is very straight forward. On yours, we just have the red staging on at 5k rpm, if I remember correctly.

Of course you can send me the controller for adjustment, but I will also show you in case you want to tackle it yourself.
Click to view attachment

The setting for the yellow lights is not used in your application, so the adjusting screw on the potentiometer is set fully clockwise (yellow lights never come on when the pot is maxed out in turns clockwise). The cylinder select switch is already set for a 4 cylinder, so no need to touch that switch either.

The adjustment that you are after is the left potentiometer. When looking at it, if you turn the adjustment counter clockwise, this will lower the threshold when the red lights come on. Since you don't have a frequency generator, just turn the pot a quarter turn then test drive your car. It's trial and error, so keep turning the pot 1/4 turns till you find the desired RPM point.

It's nice to see my tach conversion work in action, is the tach bounce eliminated?
RFoulds
Curious if this guy Tim is still around and still doing gauges
mepstein
Timmothy is still around. He’s super busy but if he can make you a set of gauges, it’s worth the wait.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 2 2018, 04:45 PM) *

Timmothy is still around. He’s super busy but if he can make you a set of gauges, it’s worth the wait.

Last I heard he was working on his medical degree and raising a great family. Top notch guy and as stated well worth it. No picture or video fully captures the quality of his work.
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif The guy is an electrical genius and a perfectionist. He took my old dusty gauges and made them purty, and I didn't even ask him to. Thanks again Tim.
timothy_nd28
The guy is a dirt bag and does mediocre work.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 3 2018, 07:20 PM) *

Ok that was funny! This guy is so far beyond honorable his humor speaks volumes. I have told Tim before that every time I turn on the lights in my car I say a thank you to him. I have no financial interest in Tim’s success or failure. But if you want top of the line stuff. He is your guy.
mepstein
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 3 2018, 11:20 PM) *

yea, a real scammer lol-2.gif
euro911
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ May 3 2018, 08:20 PM) *

av-943.gif
thelogo
Something about a old car with fancy guagues just doesnt sit right with me

I mean if you want em to look like autometer
Then buy those?

Imho the old crusty bouncey smuged foggy guagues are part of the charm of these cars .

Shout out to the cheap sob beerchug.gif

If i re-did mine id go with a avaiation type theme
Like ww1 stuff . But im sure that would get expensive
euro911
They're still the old original style gauges, Timothy just adds decent LED lighting to them - much appreciated by those of us with aging eyeballs ... shades.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 3 2018, 10:51 PM) *

They're still the old original style gauges, Timothy just adds decent LED lighting to them - much appreciated by those of us with aging eyeballs ... shades.gif

Besides making them look new, the increased brightness is a real safety feature. My lights were so dim I can recall having to look down several times to see the gauges.

A work of art!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
I'll post a pic tonight when it's dark but Tim fixed my lights by making them work, fixed the tach and speedo, added BRIGHT lighting and they look new again. Best buy on the car.
VW Aircooled Society
Good DIY Thread... very helpful
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.