Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Gauge lighting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
monkeyboy
I am usually getting ready to shift at 5,000. Then you aren't past the HP peak when you actually get the clutch in.
timothy_nd28
Both lights are adjustable. I'll adjust the controller to whatever RPM you wish. Currently, I have the prototype board set to switch to yellow at 4000 rpm then to red at 5400 rpm. I'm thinking that yellow may be set too low and might be annoying when driving around. I'm thinking 4600 or 4800 rpm might be the answer, if it is indeed annoying, I can adjust the yellow to never come on, just the red light at 5400 rpm. When you install this controller to your car, you can change the settings easily.
mepstein
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 20 2013, 01:12 AM) *

Both lights are adjustable. I'll adjust the controller to whatever RPM you wish. Currently, I have the prototype board set to switch to yellow at 4000 rpm then to red at 5400 rpm. I'm thinking that yellow may be set too low and might be annoying when driving around. I'm thinking 4600 or 4800 rpm might be the answer, if it is indeed annoying, I can adjust the yellow to never come on, just the red light at 5400 rpm. When you install this controller to your car, you can change the settings easily.

Great. I plan to install in the 6. Redline is 6850.
euro911
Wow, Tim ... I just saw this particular thread and your progress has has grown exponentially in a relatively short time thumb3d.gif

I'm planning to get your 'first generation' gauges installed in the 'BB' later this week smile.gif

I just wanted more illumination for my old eyes, but being able to fine-tune the tach's red-line color change, as well as low fuel, hi temps, or other critical notifications is a really cool idea.

I've got a feeling that you're gonna be selling a lot of these ... and yes, I believe AL would be quite proud of your continued development efforts.

popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
Very cool
eric9144
Can you do the small center console gauges as well? If so I'm in too, I've has LED bulbs in mine for years and they really kind of suck, especially compared to this! beerchug.gif
zambezi
This is going to be really cool. I will definitely want it when they are done.
timothy_nd28
I haven't opened up the smaller console gauges before, but I don't see why not.
Harpo
This is very impressive. Looking forward to this upgrade.

David
mikeyb33
Amazing, fantastic work!

Would be interested in buying a set. I have the 914-6 gauge cluster - which includes a separate fuel gauge (center 'console' mounted).

Undecided yet on whether DIY/M or sending my gauges to you - won't be able to take apart my car for another month at least. (And I've got this thread bookmarked now..)

Speaking of fuel gauge: I thought mine was std Porsche, but it has no 'low fuel' light as has been mentioned here... Would anyone know if the low-fuel light version is a direct drop-in replacement? Will post pics later showing what I have.

Thanks again for sharing your outstanding work!!! aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
monkeyboy
Quick question about the gauge color change. Just to be sure, it only works when the lights are on, right? It's not something that will light up at the shift point when the lights are not on?

I am just trying to be clear on what to expect. I am not looking for a full time shift light myself.
euro911
I want mine to come on when I get a bright idea

Click to view attachment

monkeyboy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 21 2013, 08:41 AM) *

I want mine to come on when I get a bright idea

Click to view attachment

I have plenty of burned out light bulbs here for you. bootyshake.gif
timothy_nd28
Okay, I recorded some video last night. I'm at a loss on how to record these in the dark, the cameras I use just sucks. These really look better in person. Hopefully the first 10 people buying this will have better luck recording and posting the results on here.

I was hoping to shoot some real footage with this installed in my 914, but my engine at that rpm sounds really really horrible and ready to explode. I think my advance isn't working correctly. However, they do work in my car. I have the yellow warn light activate around 4k and the redline redlight on at 5400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byh23MwiMLY
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jul 21 2013, 07:29 AM) *

Quick question about the gauge color change. Just to be sure, it only works when the lights are on, right? It's not something that will light up at the shift point when the lights are not on?

I am just trying to be clear on what to expect. I am not looking for a full time shift light myself.

I have mine wired so it steals power from one of the original gauge bulbs. So mine only turns on with the headlight switch. You can also wire it to ignition "on" 12v for it to be on all the time. These gauges are bright, but not that bright. The sunlight will most likely overpower these LED's during the daytime.
euro911
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jul 21 2013, 09:15 AM) *
I have plenty of burned out light bulbs here for you. bootyshake.gif
I thought you had a good supply of new ones that you weren't planning on using confused24.gif ... laugh.gif
poke.gif
Gary
Please put me down for a DIY. I'll need enough LED strips for 5 gauge 911 setup. Thnx!
timothy_nd28
Research and development phase is just about over. Now it's time to produce these controllers in quantity. For the first 10 sales, I would like to sell these to the folks that wanted me to provide the labor. I hate to sell a DIY kit right now, and have you guys ask a question that I couldn't answer. For doing the first 10 myself, will help me gain valuable information of what to do and what not to do. After the first 10 have shipped, I will start selling the DIY kits. For the guys that already posted their commitment of me doing the labor, could you edit your post and add what RPM you want your red-line at? Also, if you want the yellow warn light enabled? If so, what rpm would you like that to be at? And most importantly, how many cylinders you have. I would like to have everything adjusted before mailing the gauges back to you.

SirAndy
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 2 2013, 11:11 PM) *
SirAndy, you do so much for this site. I would be happy to donate one to you for free

No need for a freebee, i'd be more than happy to pay you for your work.

The stock gauge lighting (or lack thereof) is one thing that has bugged me for a long time.
shades.gif
timothy_nd28
Right now I'm just doing the first 10 members that committed to a kit and labor. I will honor the price of 95 for the kit and 100 for labor for these people. After the first 10 gauges have been successfully re-installed back into your car, I will start selling the DIY kits. I still have some openings for the first 10. PM me if you want to be added or deleted from this list. I'll need to do a price assessment after the first 10 have been sold, just to make sure this service makes sense and I'm not losing money! blink.gif I'm thinking that I will be ready next week to accept your gauges. I will have everything ready and prepped to achieve a one day turn around.

Kit and Labor
(Members)............(Cylinders).............(Redline (yes/no) RPM?)...............(Yellow warn (yes/no) RPM?)

ThePaintedMan
monkeyboy _______4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4000
mrholland2________4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4200
914socal
Harpo____________4_______________yes @ 5000____________________no
lonewolfe
eric9144
SirAndy___________6_______________yes@ 6800____________________yes @ 6000

Kits only

Mr.242
StratPlayer
mepstein__________6______________yes @ 6850_________________________?
Madswede
poorsche914
Gary
mrholland2
Hi,

I'm in the process of a major car project so do not wait on me to install.

mrholland 2----4 cyl-----redline-5000rpm-------yellow-4200 rpm.

Let me know thru PM the send and pay details.

Sean

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 22 2013, 12:54 PM) *

Right now I'm just doing the first 10 members that committed to a kit and labor. I will honor the price of 95 for the kit and 100 for labor. After the first 10 gauges have been successfully re-installed back into your car, I will start selling the DIY kits. I still have some openings for the first 10. PM me if you want to be added or deleted from this list. I'll need to do a price assessment after the first 10 have been sold, just to make sure this service makes sense and I'm not losing money! blink.gif I'm thinking that I will be ready next week to accept your gauges. I will have everything ready and prepped to achieve a one day turn around.

Kit and Labor
(Members)............(Cylinders).............(Redline-RPM?)...............(Yellow warn (yes/no) RPM?)

ThePaintedMan
monkeyboy
mrholland2
914socal
Harpo
lonewolfe
eric9144
SirAndy

Kits only

Mr.242
StratPlayer
mepstein_________6__________6850______________?
Madswede
poorsche914

monkeyboy
I am in... How do we send you our gauges, and your money?

I really like option 2. That's awesome.
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jul 22 2013, 12:07 PM) *

I am in... How do we send you our gauges, and your money?

I really like option 2. That's awesome.

I will PM the first 10 with my Paypal and shipping info later this week
SirAndy
Kit and Labor(Members)............(Cylinders).............(Redline (yes/no) RPM?)...............(Yellow warn (yes/no) RPM?)

SirAndy

beerchug.gif

Cylinders: 6
Redline: Yes, 6800 rpm
Yellow warn: Yes, 6000 rpm

Here is a pic of my current (custom) tach face:

IPB Image
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2013, 12:28 PM) *

Kit and Labor(Members)............(Cylinders).............(Redline (yes/no) RPM?)...............(Yellow warn (yes/no) RPM?)

SirAndy

beerchug.gif

Cylinders: 6
Redline: Yes, 6800 rpm
Yellow warn: Yes, 6000 rpm

Here is a pic of my current (custom) tach face:

IPB Image

Nice, I'll replace that plastic lens with some glass
eric9144
Can you change the speedo gearing to match a tire change? beer3.gif
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 22 2013, 01:59 PM) *

Can you change the speedo gearing to match a tire change? beer3.gif

Maybe, is there a place that sells these custom gears?
Harpo
Kit and Labor
(Members)............(Cylinders).............(Redline (yes/no) RPM?)...............(Yellow warn (yes/no) RPM?)

4 cylinder - Redline (yes) 5000 - Yellow no

Thanks

David
ThePaintedMan
Sorry Tim, got your message but it got crazy at work in the afternoon. Count me in bud! Your work is second to none, and as I've said before, Al would be very impressed and proud.
timothy_nd28
I need two more volunteers for the kit+labor to complete my list of the first ten. smash.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 22 2013, 01:37 PM) *
Nice, I'll replace that plastic lens with some glass

I'm pretty sure that is glass ... blink.gif

No idea why it is so scratched up tho.
confused24.gif

Oh, one more thing, i have 5 gauges, not 3, since i'm running the 911 style dash.
Just add on whatever additional costs that may be.

beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2013, 10:35 PM) *
Oh, one more thing, i have 5 gauges, not 3, since i'm running the 911 style dash.
Just add on whatever additional costs that may be.

This is a slightly older pic, the tach face has since changed ...

IPB Image
timothy_nd28
Those are cool, just might keep them! I see no problem stuffing the RGB LEDs inside those 2 extra gauges. The RGB controller is rated for 12amps, so we should be good there too
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 22 2013, 09:54 PM) *

I need two more volunteers for the kit+labor to complete my list of the first ten. smash.gif

Pm sent. I'm in for the full meal deal smilie_pokal.gif

4 cyl
yellow yes at 4200
Red yes at 5000

timothy_nd28
Kit and Labor (*)= first 10 orders with price @ 95.00 kit & 100 labor

*ThePaintedMan_____4______________ yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4000
*monkeyboy _______4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4000
*mrholland2________4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4200
*914socal__________4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4200
*lonewolfe
*no1uno____________4______________yes@ 5000___________________yes @ 4000
*SirAndy___________ 6_______________yes@ 6800____________________yes @ 6000
*Jakeodoule_________4_______________yes@ 5000____________________yes @ 4200
*balljoint____________4_______________yes@ 4914___________________yes @ 4000

..................................................................................

no1uno____________4_______________yes@ 5000___________________yes @ 4000
Rdauenhauer _______4_______________yes @ 5000____________________yes @ 4000
eric9144__________4
mikeyb33__(Aug/Sept)
Harpo_____________4_______________yes @ 5000____________________no
Kits only

Mr.242
StratPlayer
mepstein__________6______________yes @ 6850_________________________?
Madswede
poorsche914
Gary
no1uno
I'd like to see the light. Include me for an installed kit.

4cyl yes to redline at 5000 rpm and yes to yellow at 4000

Will rpm color change thresholds be adjustable ? Just in case I want to make changes in future?
balljoint
idea.gif

The tach in my 914 has a little orange mark around 5800 rpms.

unsure.gif

I guess that would be a bad place to run my bone stock 1.8 up to in order to see the red light come on?

4 cylinder, yes to redline light at 4,914 rpms (or 5000 if thats just easier) yes to yellow warning light at 4000 rpms.

cheer.gif

Very excited about this. And please add my bill to SirAndy's. thumb3d.gif
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(no1uno @ Jul 23 2013, 05:20 PM) *

I'd like to see the light. Include me for an installed kit.

4cyl yes to redline at 5000 rpm and yes to yellow at 4000

Will rpm color change thresholds be adjustable ? Just in case I want to make changes in future?

Yes, the color change thresholds can be adjusted after my initial calibration.
You adjust the set screws clockwise to increase the RPM threshold or counter clockwise to decrease it. The cylinder select switch was a cool idea for the folks that may do a engine swap in the near future. My uncle even added a position on the switch for someone that may want to stuff a Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 engine!
Click to view attachment

We made some more progress today, all 10 boards have been soldered and ready for calibration. I'm very pleased with the results and how they turned out, but not happy that it took all day to do 10 boards. There is a learning curve with these surface mount components so hopefully it will go faster as time goes on.

I should be ready within a few days to start accepting the first ten orders.
Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
If anyone can replicate this for me, I would so give them a free kit & labor! drooley.gif
Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
Here's the remote that comes with the controller. You can select the pre-chosen colors, or you can custom make your own color by adjusting the levels in each color.
Click to view attachment

We added a feature to the controller today. Instead of the instant color change at the set RPM threshholds, it is more of a color fade/melt. I think this looks much better, and the circuit seems to be much more responsive, especially when you blip the throttle.
euro911
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 24 2013, 12:15 AM) *
If anyone can replicate this for me, I would so give them a free kit & labor! drooley.gif
Click to view attachment
You need to make it dual purpose, An arm with a tool head for lifting up the bezel crimp, and another tool head for re-crimping ... idea.gif
timothy_nd28
agree.gif

Alrighty, I'm ready for the lucky first 10 members to mail me their gauges. It will give me something to do this weekend. I'll PM each of you with my shipping info.
timothy_nd28
One last question for my first 10 group buyers. Does any one have a 5volt driven tach or a tach driven by a computer? I made a assumption that everyone is still using the original ignition system that uses a ignition coil and points or a pointless module. For the 5volt tachs, I'll need to change the value of R1 from 100k to 10k
balljoint
My car is all stock.
monkeyboy
I have an ignition system on my car, but I am running a tach converter so it works with the stock tach.
Jakeodoule
Mine is all stock.

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 24 2013, 09:35 PM) *

One last question for my first 10 group buyers. Does any one have a 5volt driven tach or a tach driven by a computer? I made a assumption that everyone is still using the original ignition system that uses a ignition coil and points or a pointless module. For the 5volt tachs, I'll need to change the value of R1 from 100k to 10k

mrholland2
Stock
914werke
Put me down for the full meal deal ...Kit and Labor
(Member)............(Cylinders).............(Redline (yes/no) RPM?)...............(Yellow warn (yes/no) RPM?)

Rdauenhauer _______4_______________yes @ 5500____________________yes @ 4500
porkchopexpress
Outstanding work Tim! I am sure Al would be very excited to see you carry this concept on into the future.
Mblizzard
At some point I am going to have to have this! I would love to see a video of these in action. Any possibility of extending this to the center console gauges?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.