Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Transmission Cable Linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
jimkelly
we'll see soon enough - but does the mr2 shifter (1991-1995 model) you are using looks like this one?

914forme
Thats what I got sitting on my shelf. They are pretty cheap still, cable connectors set to go in the proper direction, though I'm doubting I'll be using the base. Maybe as a sacrificial lamb. I like these because its easy to change the shift trough ratios. You just move the attachment point on the shifter. Grind, move, tack, test, weld, done.
IM101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_e9jk6z83k
mepstein
Ian - Will you be making one for a 901 trans or just subie?
IM101
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 17 2014, 08:48 PM) *

Ian - Will you be making one for a 901 trans or just subie?

Definitely, just a matter when. Looks like I finally landed a job (inside sales) that will be paying the bills but taking up more of my time.

fabbing for the 914 is still a passion tho, so I'm sure it'll be sometime this year.
IM101
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 17 2014, 04:49 AM) *

we'll see soon enough - but does the mr2 shifter (1991-1995 model) you are using looks like this one?

That is the style that I'm using, though it looks like there should be some cutting or yet another design project, as the cables don't like the OEM shifter housing...
skeates
Ian - do you have a close up of the linkage you are using to connect the bell crank to the gear selector? Are you using little ball joints?
IM101
QUOTE(skeates @ Jan 17 2014, 09:42 PM) *

Ian - do you have a close up of the linkage you are using to connect the bell crank to the gear selector? Are you using little ball joints?

They are small ball joints, one of things i will be changing for the production model, just needed something to get me by for the prototype that also gives acurate dimensions.
effutuo101
Ship date? Bill me for the shifter and the half shafts please!
skeates
QUOTE(IM101 @ Jan 17 2014, 08:48 PM) *

They are small ball joints, one of things i will be changing for the production model, just needed something to get me by for the prototype that also gives acurate dimensions.

That make a ton of sense. I love the way you're going with it, can't wait to see the final version!
jimkelly
looks great!

QUOTE(IM101 @ Jan 17 2014, 08:38 PM) *

ruby914
QUOTE(IM101 @ Jan 17 2014, 07:57 PM) *

That is the style that I'm using, though it looks like there should be some cutting or yet another design project, as the cables don't like the OEM shifter housing...

Ian,
I used the MR2 shifter on my car with the 901 trany. I recall debating if I wanted the 914 shift pattern or first gear forward. I ended up putting 1st forward, as I felt it is a more normal pattern. The down side of this is both of my cars are different blink.gif
I was just curious if you kept the 914 shift pattern with 1st gear back, reverse forward?
my928s4
Getting there Ian !! Looking forward to getting this on the car smile.gif
Chris H.
Looks like it shifts really smooth. Nice work!

Glad you found a job as well. Started in sales a LOOONG time ago myself. I'm sure you'll do great.
IM101
Mike, I went with the subaru OEM pattern, 1st forward. Figured keeping it that way would be better just for non 914 applications.
CptTripps
Bravo sir! Can't wait!!!
hsus2k
Looks great! I'm also waiting for one!
Just add one more on the list
Thanks,
Dennis
CptTripps
So I've watched this a few times, and sent you a thought or two.

I'm SURE you're ahead of us on this, but in care you aren't...thought I'd throw a few ideas at you.
76-914
QUOTE(IM101 @ Jan 17 2014, 07:57 PM) *

What size cables are you using, Ian? These are 1/4" on the MR2 shifter. Did you go 5/16"?

Click to view attachment
IM101
Nope I went 1/4, strange that it looks like yours fit into the mr2 nicely...
CptTripps
Nice pillow!
76-914
IIRC, I tweaked the opening w/ a small crescent so that the opening is offset then they drop right in. After that straighten the opening back in line. Does that make sense? If not I'll shoot a photo. The next snag on that shifter is the 8mm stud. You need to grind it off and weld in a 1/4" stud for the heim joint. Clearances get tight between the shifting mechanisms and you may need to file the head of a bold down. Or use clevis pins for more clearance. And that pillow is a great comfort to my ancient old ass. biggrin.gif
ruby914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 21 2014, 08:35 PM) *

Does that make sense? If not I'll shoot a photo. The next snag on that shifter is the 8mm stud. You need to grind it off and weld in a 1/4" stud for the heim joint. Clearances get tight between the shifting mechanisms and you may need to file the head of a bold down.

Or you could bend the mechanisms to the left some.
biggrin.gif
I would of put a photo over at NARP but didn't have a place to put it lol-2.gif

This is what I came up with. I did have the same interference. one other thing that helped me is moving the pivot mount on the shift shaft up a little. I moved it up and down and bent the shaft forward and back more than once looking for the best feel and location. Moving the pivot up gives you a shorter shift stroke. this can also be changed by the rear linkage. The spring on the left is my reverse lock out. It keeps naturally in 2nd and 3rd position. A little resistance to 1st and reverse. I also had to cut open the cable slots and relocate them forward or aft for some reason.
The riser is offset and tilted to the driver and up in the front.

And yes, I had a cushion too. beerchug.gif
IanJ
Ruby is your shift from an earlier MR2 (AW11)and the others are the later models (SW20)?
In the pics they look like different base plates.
rnellums
JimKelley's shifter looks just like mine, our of a first gen MR2.
ruby914
I have no idea. I did a lot of cutting and bending. That's how it is now.
Honestly I don't recall. Now that I look at others, I may have made a completely new base plate out of 4" tube? I'm getting old. slits.gif
QUOTE(IanJ @ Jan 22 2014, 02:04 PM) *

Ruby is your shift from an earlier MR2 (AW11)and the others are the later models (SW20)?
In the pics they look like different base plates.
effutuo101

icon_bump.gif
bump for this week.
CptTripps
He's close...
914forme
II'm ready, Ian, you can aded one to my shipment piratenanner.gif
IM101
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 29 2014, 06:46 PM) *

He's close...

Yep, The laser cutting finished friday and its on a truck to Boise. Should be able to start producing these this week.

I will keep you guys up to date.
Chris H.
Great news!
effutuo101
cool! excited.
rnellums
Looks like it's about time to blow my paycheck on conversion parts!
edwin
Are you able to produce something that neat for the 901 box
I was never a fan of bending and twisting the cables so your bell crank system looks fantastic
Cheers
Edwin
IM101
Well I am planning on building a system for the 901 side shift but a bell crank with that setup might b a bit more tricky to pull off... Then again really need to sit down and look at it before I know for sure.
ruby914
QUOTE(IM101 @ Feb 3 2014, 05:52 PM) *

Well I am planning on building a system for the 901 side shift but a bell crank with that setup might b a bit more tricky to pull off... Then again really need to sit down and look at it before I know for sure.

Ian,
I saw a cable shift folder on my laptop at home. It had Catia files. Not sure what is in there, they may give you some ideas, I'll take a look when I get home. It is hard to see but I used somewhat of a bellcrank system. This is from NARP.
Mike
ruby914
Well, the name of the folder is Cable tail shift.
I had this on the car until I broke first gear. I didn't make a cad file for the side shift but it works about the same way. Bell crank operates a brass or nylon, pivoting and sliding block that pushes and pulls the shift shaft in and out.Click to view attachment

Why is that photo a download? confused24.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Feb 4 2014, 04:04 AM) *

Windows Bitmap images can't be displayed by browsers. (Never have) They're the digital equilivent of Leaded Gasoline.
jimkelly
here is ruby914 bmp as a jpg

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Feb 4 2014, 02:04 AM) *

Well, the name of the folder is Cable tail shift.
I had this on the car until I broke first gear. I didn't make a cad file for the side shift but it works about the same way. Bell crank operates a brass or nylon, pivoting and sliding block that pushes and pulls the shift shaft in and out.Click to view attachment

effutuo101
icon_bump.gif
Once I have half shafts and shifting in, I can start on my exhaust.

Anybody want to go halves on a exhaust cut out? they come in pairs....
http://quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/
effutuo101
icon_bump.gif
Pestering Ian.
CptTripps
He's been busy with a new job. I expect we'll see Ian later this week. Hopefully, he's got good news for us. biggrin.gif
IM101
Parts are in mostly. One of thr laser cut pieces got miss cut don't know if it was my fault or there's, but they are at a local machinist getting fixed. Getting there...

Ian
effutuo101
Ding!
IM101
Hey guys sorry for the delay the last couple of weeks. As I mentioned I got a new job, basically its a temp position on a sales team that will turn into a salaried position at the end of March, based on performance of course. A the moment going 110% in that arena is my focus... Have to pay the bills and make sure the new wife is taken care of. I have been working on the cable shift whenever I get the chance.

I should *Should* be able to finish a production run this weekend.

thanks for keeping me accountable haha.. don't stop its nice to have the pressure from all sides!

Chris H.
"Probationary period" eh? Close those deals! Thanks for the update Ian.
76-914
poke.gif Hurry up Ian, I'm getting pm's. lol-2.gif Seriously, you guy's are going to be so happy w/ the cable shift you won't remember the wait.
skeates
Can't wait to see the final product Ian! Based on our conversations in Boise I bet this thing will be solid and worth the $$$
CptTripps
I'd rather wait, and have it "right" the first time.
ruby914
QUOTE(IM101 @ Feb 20 2014, 07:24 AM) *

thanks for keeping me accountable haha.. don't stop its nice to have the pressure from all sides!

Come on Ian, lets go. Chop chop.. icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif poke.gif poke.gif
No, I dont need one as of yet, just try to do my part happy11.gif
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.