Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Transmission Cable Linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
CptTripps
Does anyone have measurements on WHERE I need to mount the MR2 shifter? I am starting work on the interior pieces while I have the car out for sandblasting, and need to know where the shifter will mount ultimately.

If I have a starting point off of the firewall, that'd help me a lot.
ruby914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Feb 26 2014, 07:08 AM) *

Does anyone have measurements on WHERE I need to mount the MR2 shifter? I am starting work on the interior pieces while I have the car out for sandblasting, and need to know where the shifter will mount ultimately.

If I have a starting point off of the firewall, that'd help me a lot.

Sit in the car and find the most comfortable place for yourself. I moved mine FWD and AFT more than once. I also placed mine close to the steering wheel.
IM101
Ok guys, those of you who emailed me, start checking your inboxes. should be able to start shipping these the end of this week!
rnellums
QUOTE(IM101 @ Mar 9 2014, 10:44 AM) *

Ok guys, those of you who emailed me, start checking your inboxes. should be able to start shipping these the end of this week!

Awesome news!!!
Chris H.
Perfect timing. Finally starting to thaw out around here.
my928s4
Excellent! Looking forward to getting this installed!
effutuo101
Very cool!
CptTripps
smilie_pokal.gif
hsus2k
What's latest on the brackets?
I haven't receive anything in PM or email.........
It's the prototype & pricing out yet?
IM101
Hey guys,
Got utterly slammed at work and home this week, I'm in my final week and a half of the of my contract work at the position I'm at and it has been getting very busy. Though in a good way as it's looking like my efforts will be a big part of landing two big deals, which is very good for prospects of landing a salaried position.
Then my in laws decided to visit this last week as well which blew the few hours of 914 work time that I have.

At the moment The shifter is 90% there, I just need to get some parts in from the cable providers and button up the hardware kits.

You will be getting an email from me the moment I have them ready to go.
IM101
Oh and I have been able to tally up my costs and formulate a price.

285$ for 914world members
375$ for non members (or custom length cables for non 914 project)

Kit includes everything you need to make it work except for the MR2(or your choice of) cable shifter.
cables, shift bracket, hardware, bellcrank arm, shift fork arm, cable mounts, etc.
rnellums
I am so in. Thanks for all the hard work Ian!
IM101
QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 16 2014, 06:52 PM) *

I am so in. Thanks for all the hard work Ian!

Thanks I appreciate it, though I just feel bad for taking so long... Life is being pulled in many directions at the moment and I don't like making people wait.

-Ian
effutuo101
I am in. Pay via pay pal. Let me know!
blitZ
I'll take one.

Thanks
76-914
what brand and size cables did you end up using?
CptTripps
Can't wait Ian!

Just in the nick of time too. My motor may "meet" the car in a week or so.
skeates
Add me to the list of the "in" crowd!

edit: this will really make the vroom vroom sounds more realistic when I pretend to drive!
1stworks
Please put me on the list.

Scott
effutuo101
waiting on how to get you paid Ian! you are one busy guy.
IM101
K guys,
Going to devote the weekend to Coldwater, if I don't have shifters/cradles/axles etc. ready to go on monday, I will have given up on life and you will no longer be hearing from me... Kidding about life, but going to hopefully be hitting people up with emails this weekend. if you don't hear from me by sunday evening please hit me with a reminder email of what you ordered + your address and I will get you an invoice an payment instructions (paypal/check/cash).
effutuo101
Cool! So looking forward to this!
IM101
Click to view attachment

Building/packaging kits today!
IanJ
QUOTE(IM101 @ Mar 23 2014, 07:39 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Building/packaging kits today!

icon_bump.gif
CptTripps
Can you post some pics of the assembled kit again?

I took mine apart yesterday to paint it, and am positive I'll put it back together wrong.
914forme
PMs. E-mails have ben sent, he's a busy guy and makes great parts so I'll wait. But please not to long, I have a race to make in May, and 2 SCCA Pro Tours races in July.

Lots to do, I need to get the hammer down.
IM101
Alright guys, another update...
Was about to start sending these badboys out (and emailing everyone) when i noticed a mistake in the cables (one side had been built with grooved attachment style instead of bulkhead). I sent them back to get fixed mid last week. The cables should be back this Wednesday and I will start sending them all out over the few days after.

I did send a half prototype out to CptTripps, because 1. that dude is insanely tenacious/persuasive and 2. he is going to do a final test fit on cable length (I did mine dry with a shell engine/trans in the cradle and want to make sure it will fit with the oil pan/exhaust etc).

Today, I plan on finally emailing everyone on the list with info, getting shipping addresses (feel free to pre empt me asking by sending yours to ian@coldwater914.com), and sending out invoices.

On another note. I landed the salary position!! Ended up with two separate offers, went with the guys who i have been working on contract for the last 3 months. Both Anna and I are quite excited!
mepstein
Congrsts on the job! Always helps to have steady funding for the obsession.
CptTripps
smilie_pokal.gif on the job bro. Nice!

I may have the motor in later tonight. The guy that's bringing it to me has to get it loaded and then we can get it over here. I'll bolt it up as soon as I can figure out how it goes back together. Lol.
IM101
Update:
I have sent out all the emails, If you did not receive one please Email me ian@coldwater914.com.
roachghia70
The parts look really nice, and the price is great! Nice work!

But can you provide more details about the robustness of the bell crank parts? Is there a bearing in the mechanism? I must admit, the bell crank is the only part that I am not thrilled about, because it adds an additional moving part/ mechanism. The beauty of the cables are that you're not constricted to the motion having to come from any one direction. You can flex and bend the cable, resulting in the motion coming from any angle.

That being said, if the mechanism is robust, tight, and built to last nearly forever without getting sloppy, I am definitely getting in line to buy one. The cable shifter in my dad's car is sooooo much nicer than my modified rod shifter. I'm ready to upgrade. And your prices are good enough that it might one of those parts that's worth buying done, rather than building from scratch.

Please post pictures or describe the bearing in the bell rank, if you don't mind. PM would be fine if you don't want to post those details in public.

Thanks!
Thomas
effutuo101
follow up email sent Ian!
hsus2k
Any news on this Shifter Cable Kit? Updates?
Has anyone recieved the Kit or paid for them yet?

I know Ian is a busy man, but I just would like to know if someone has received the Kit already?
I haven't heard anything for alomst 2 weeks now.
IM101
Hey guys,
Not they have not shipped, only capttrips got the prototype.

They have been keeping me busy at the new job and it's been difficult to adjust to the 9 to 5 schedule again. But I have increased the sales opportunity pipeline from $400k to $1.6m so at least its not for nothing.

Everything for the shifters is basically ready to go. I just wanted to get one installed for a final working test fit (I had done a mock up with a bare block and trans) thus the reason for capttrips getting the prototype. really im just waiting to see that everything works as is should fit wise before i send these out and get a bunch of people mad at me =).
IM101
Thomas,
Don't mind posting in public biggrin.gif. Usually I would build everything from scratch including parts like the bell crank in doing so i can beef everything up to the point where its basically indestructible under normal to severe conditions. However because I have more limited time then normal with this project I found a bell crank off the shelf.

I am not particularly thrilled with he part as it is not as robust as I would like. However it has a sealed bearing that will hold up fine to normal conditions (both weather and physical torsion forces). I even did somewhat of a torture test with a hammer and it held up fine until I really started putting some force into the blows from the worse possible angle.

End result is I'm confident it will hold up under normal to abusive conditions. however if you get the car sideways of the road and happen to slam some obstacle into the back of the transmission you may have some problems.

looking forward, I have no problems replacing any bell crank that fails. Otherwise I do plan on eventually drawing my own beefed up version and will probably let people replace the older version at cost if they want.

-Ian

QUOTE(roachghia70 @ Apr 7 2014, 07:35 PM) *

The parts look really nice, and the price is great! Nice work!

But can you provide more details about the robustness of the bell crank parts? Is there a bearing in the mechanism? I must admit, the bell crank is the only part that I am not thrilled about, because it adds an additional moving part/ mechanism. The beauty of the cables are that you're not constricted to the motion having to come from any one direction. You can flex and bend the cable, resulting in the motion coming from any angle.

That being said, if the mechanism is robust, tight, and built to last nearly forever without getting sloppy, I am definitely getting in line to buy one. The cable shifter in my dad's car is sooooo much nicer than my modified rod shifter. I'm ready to upgrade. And your prices are good enough that it might one of those parts that's worth buying done, rather than building from scratch.

Please post pictures or describe the bearing in the bell rank, if you don't mind. PM would be fine if you don't want to post those details in public.

Thanks!
Thomas
hsus2k
Thanks, Ian.
I was just worried that you might had forgot about me or missed my email or something; becasue last time I heard (in here) they were ready and you are about to send them out.
And then after 2 weeks, I still haven't heard anything from anyone.

I know you are very busy, and thank you for doing all the design and torture testing for us.

My car has just being painted and suspensions are back on and the engine is being preped; so, I'm a little excited.............

Thanks again!
Dennis
veekry9
Wow.
This cables-gift looks like a winner.
Well thought out and executed.
Beats the agricultural trellis-work I have now hands down.
A plan for the T-shift in the future would allow the spirited use of the early TX in sport mode.
Well Done.

Click to view attachment

914forme
Yes I too was starting to think I missed the boat. Hate missing the boat, water around here is still very cold.
CptTripps
So I haven't driven mine yet, but the installation went pretty a well. There are only a few slight mods that I made to his kit. Here's what I did.

For the bolt that goes through the shift-lever at the back of the Trans, I made the holes on the attachment match the size of the hole on the bar. Then I shrink-wrapped the bolt to snug it in there before I used a lock-nut on the back.

I opened up the top hole on the bell-crank so I could put a little thicker bolt in there as well. I may have mis-matched the bolts when I was putting it back together, but the ones I had there was just a little too loose. All good now.

The cable lengths are good if you aren't looping a lot. I got them both through the hole the shift-bar went through. (One at a time.) and they fit well. If they were 2" longer, that wouldn't suck though.

Last thing is that on your MR2 shifter, you'll need to grind out a peg used for the left-right action. You'll see when you're in there, but there is NO way to get it off without a grind wheel.

Past that, the kit fits up and works real well. I can't wait to drive it (hopefully) this weekend.
hsus2k
BTW, which MR2 shifter is everyone using (or for this Kit)?
Are all the 1st and 2nd Gen shifter the same?

I think I had an older 1st Gen shifter, but already hacked and weld so many times to fit my old cable design for my "old" engine cradle.
Now, I have Ian's engine cradle, the old cable/shifter system won't fit thru the new Trans hangers.
I'll be purchasing Ian's Shifter Cable Kit, but would like to know the correct MR2 shifter to use (model years?) before I make a mess again.........

Went back reading thru the threads and comments again, but a bit confused........on which MR2 shifter everyone perfer to use?

Thanks!
Dennis
CptTripps
Really, as long as it looks like one of these...you'll be fine.

Earlier...later...shouldn't matter. As long as the cables go backwards, you'll be ok.

I'm looking to see if there are others that'll work as well. Something for me to do on the plane later...
Chris H.
I heard the 90-91 Honda Accord shifter is AWESOME which is why I bought one. You have to flip the "action" of one of the levers around from it's stock position (left-right probably) to use it but I'm gonna try it out before I buy an MR2. Probably remove the outer part like D914 did. Just need a set of separate cable mounts to do that but it looks pretty easy.

Here's a pic...from my thread but D914's setup...

Click to view attachment
76-914
Keep in mind that these shifters are much shorter than stock. Sit in the car with the shifter before you bolt it down. If your not in the NBA you'll probably want to bend the new shifter's rod aft or move the entire shifter aft.
IM101
Hey Guys, going to start sending out quotes/invoices at lunch today, if you don't have one in your inbox by the end of the day and you want a shifter, email me.
-Ian
1stworks
QUOTE(IM101 @ Apr 23 2014, 09:14 AM) *

Hey Guys, going to start sending out quotes/invoices at lunch today, if you don't have one in your inbox by the end of the day and you want a shifter, email me.
-Ian

beerchug.gif IPB Image

here's my 00 mr2 shifter I'll b using.

It looks like a winner 2 me.
Chris H.
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 23 2014, 09:33 AM) *

Keep in mind that these shifters are much shorter than stock. Sit in the car with the shifter before you bolt it down. If your not in the NBA you'll probably want to bend the new shifter's rod aft or move the entire shifter aft.

I was thinking about bending mine to look stock-ish.

Hi Kent bye1.gif I'm working on it! Updates soon.

Ian,

Awesome news!!! smilie_pokal.gif I'll be checking the inbox.... nope...not there...nope...not there...nope...maybe I'll give it a minute.

BIGKAT_83
I started with a MR2 shifter and changed over to a Corolla shifter. This did need a revesal of the gear selector. I added a bearing and bell crank at the shifter. This allowed me to also set the length of travel for the shifter. It worked out fine.

You can make most any shifter work. We spent a few days in the pick and pull looking at different options.
Corolla shiferClick to view attachment
Mounted in the car Click to view attachment

Bob
andys
MR2, Corolla, Celica, Mitsubishi can all be made to work, though the MR2 doesn't need to be turned around. I'd probably avoid the all plastic ones (late MR2 and Boxster), as they don't lend themselves well to modification. The Corolla/Tercel shifter Bob mentions is quite nice. I went with the Celica (after buying three different Toyota models) as it had greater gate travel that my 6 speed needed.

Andys
IM101
QUOTE(IM101 @ Apr 23 2014, 07:14 AM) *

-Ian

And by that I mean work is going to blow up and i won't be able to send out any until today..

So do not worry if you have not recieved anything yet....

headbang.gif
Chris H.
Ah...just bugged you with a PM...disregard. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.