Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 914 goes under the knife
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
rick 918-S
I have been working on this car but just finishing little details that don't really photo. I should have some photos in a couple days. Adding seam sealer and finishing welds. I have a patch cut for the front floor almost fit.

Still have to do the left side. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
pete000
Such impressive work !! welder.gif
rick 918-S
Couple progress photos. I have all the structural welding done of the right side. I am starting the left side this week.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
euro911
Nice work, Rick beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
I was side tracked with a 911 project but I'm back on Ben's cars. Here are a couple photos of the progress.

I cut out the left side jack post and examined the inside of the rail. It was really nice. I washed it out and clean it up then sprayed some Eastwood encapsulator inside and closed it up.

Click to view attachment

I only had to remove one triangle and the sill. When I went to install the triangle I realized the ones I have are for the right side. I called Restoration Design and was informed they only make the right side. I was told to face the flange backwards to install it on the left side. I couldn't bring myself to do that so I made a left side triangle.

Click to view attachment

Here the jack post and long all closed up.

Click to view attachment

I'm only painting the areas I repaired for now. I'll have it finished this week.
relentless
This is a great educational thread to read! Your work is outstanding and attention to detail ditto. I especially appreciate that you are taking the time to make things right and not taking shortcuts.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(relentless @ May 12 2014, 02:32 PM) *

This is a great educational thread to read! Your work is outstanding and attention to detail ditto. I especially appreciate that you are taking the time to make things right and not taking shortcuts.

Thank you. It has to be fun or I wouldn't do it. I was cleaning out the tunnel and found a penny. It's was under the shift console. I just had a feeling I should try to clean it off and check the date. I soaked it in some rust dissolver and gave it a quick buff so I could read the date. Sure enough...

Click to view attachment
abnrdo
Nice work Rick! I love your wheel stands! How the heck did you get the car up there?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(abnrdo @ May 12 2014, 09:04 PM) *

Nice work Rick! I love your wheel stands! How the heck did you get the car up there?

I have a custom built floor jack. I'll take a photo of it when the car comes down.
vintage914racer
Looking good, Rick. I'm looking forward to seeing the car this weekend.
rick 918-S
The welding is officially finished. The only real issue with the left floor pan was some holes through the reinforcements under the driver seat. I was going to try to plug weld the holes but changed my mind last minute.

The passenger side floor was rusted through at the cross member and at the engine bulkhead. But the reinforcement ribs were clean as was the metal around them under the seat area. I recycled the good parts of the right side pan, made a repair panel and replace the left side under the seat.

Here is the repair panel fit and ready to weld.

Click to view attachment

Here is the section I cut out laid over the finished repair.

Click to view attachment

I used Eastwoods frame encapsulator spray in all the places I couldn't reach to clean. I used it in inside the longs, inside the tunnel, inside the lower engine bulkhead and inside the seat hinge stands. I flooded the areas and used my blow gun the move the excess. Then wiped up the excess. Here is the finished floor.

Click to view attachment

Still some work to do before paint.
sixnotfour
Lookin Good.. welder.gif
jmill
Beautiful work as usual!
pete000
Wow I wish the repair patches in mine were done as nicely as this one is!

Jealous ! hissyfit.gif
rick 918-S
Almost ready for paint.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Click to view attachment
vintage914racer
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 16 2014, 05:49 PM) *

w00t.gif
rhodyguy
very nice. good work rick.
Cairo94507
Just beautiful work as always. Adriatic Blue? Very nice color indeed.
r_towle
Your "lift" looks like a challenge to get a car up there...
rick 918-S
Ready to go home! assimilate.gif

Click to view attachment
r_towle
My turn? A nice 356 custom rod...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2014, 08:19 PM) *

356? WTF.gif Ahhh ya! assimilate.gif biggrin.gif The 911 will be gone by the first.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 17 2014, 08:26 PM) *

356? WTF.gif Ahhh ya! assimilate.gif biggrin.gif The 911 will be gone by the first. Chopped, sectioned and lowered... idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif assimilate.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 17 2014, 09:31 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 17 2014, 08:26 PM) *

356? WTF.gif Ahhh ya! assimilate.gif biggrin.gif The 911 will be gone by the first. Chopped, sectioned and lowered... idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif assimilate.gif

Free design.
Just as long as it gets a 911 rear suspension....possibly front also....not sure it needs that, but the trunk it tiny.

It's a 65 sc....cut what you want.....

I need to send you a few pics....it's a project for sure.
euro911
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 17 2014, 04:14 PM) *
Ready to go home! assimilate.gif

Click to view attachment
Very nice job, Rick thumb3d.gif
mrgreenjeans
Ben

VERY nice car.

We have had our two cars together , but it has been awhile.
A Nord Stern event almost 20 years ago, right after my '74 - two litre was repainted it's one and only time.

So, its been a number of years and I anxiously await to see it back on the road and in the show field.

Do you plan to have it at the All Porsche Show in Roseville this summer ?

Hope to get the opportunity to view it up close and personal once again........ nice history on it thru Carousel and then S/F and back again to it's home turf.

Rick, WHAT an exceptional job. VERY nice work..... Thanks for your diligence. And helping Ben keep it looking great for what we all hope, is a very long time.
vintage914racer
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ May 19 2014, 01:05 PM) *

Ben

VERY nice car.

We have had our two cars together , but it has been awhile.
A Nord Stern event almost 20 years ago, right after my '74 - two litre was repainted it's one and only time.

So, its been a number of years and I anxiously await to see it back on the road and in the show field.

Do you plan to have it at the All Porsche Show in Roseville this summer ?

Hope to get the opportunity to view it up close and personal once again........ nice history on it thru Carousel and then S/F and back again to it's home turf.

Rick, WHAT an exceptional job. VERY nice work..... Thanks for your diligence. And helping Ben keep it looking great for what we all hope, is a very long time.

Not sure if I'll make the all Porsche show. Baby #2 is due in mid-June and her arrival will certainly impact my ability to get the car put back together. My intent is to get it road ready ahead of time but you know how that goes. If it isn't ready perhaps I'll bring the 914 track car.
vintage914racer
Many thanks to Rick for taking on this project. After seeing his work I don't think the job could've been any better. He is a true artisan that really cares about the work that he does. If you need work of this nature done to your car and he had the bandwidth I would highly recommend him.

Now that I have the car home I've been slowly piecing it together. Between my 2 year old, pregnant wife and disastrous weekend at the track in my other 914 I haven't been too productive.

I did get new sail panel vinyl put on and reinstalled the aluminum targa bar trim.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also started installing new vinyl on the floor pan and rear firewall.

vintage914racer
The stock steering wheel is pretty ratty, and I had a prototipo on my shelf, so I installed that.

Click to view attachment

I also got a start on installing the vinyl interior strips.
gms
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ May 28 2014, 07:05 PM) *

The stock steering wheel is pretty ratty, and I had a prototipo on my shelf, so I installed that.

Click to view attachment

I also got a start on installing the vinyl interior strips.

The prototipo is definitely a great upgrade especially since you probably have something similar in your racer. looks great!
rick 918-S
Did the shift rod arrive ok? I marked the orientation for you.

Click to view attachment

This photo was taken before I treated the tunnel and painted the tunnel.
vintage914racer
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 29 2014, 07:39 PM) *

Did the shift rod arrive ok? I marked the orientation for you.

Click to view attachment

This photo was taken before I treated the tunnel and painted the tunnel.

It showed yesterday. With any luck I'll be able to put it back in tonight.
vintage914racer
Not a lot of progress lately because we welcomed our second child last week.

Click to view attachment

There has been one other development. It turns out the engine that was in the car is a 1968 911s motor. Given these are rare and worth some dough, I'm tossing around the notion of selling it, putting a different engine in the car and pocketing some cash.
rick 918-S
OMG! Congratulations!!!!
euro911
Looks like you're gonna need one of them 914 Limos then laugh.gif

Congrats on the new little one beerchug.gif
vintage914racer
It's hard to believe that it's coming up on a year since I've last updated this thread. I figured I was overdue so here goes.

As noted in my last post, the arrival of my daughter limited the amount of time available to work on the blue car. I made very little progress on it over the summer because the limited garage time I had was allocated to getting my track car ready for the racing season.

In July I brought the race car to the can't miss Hawk vintage races at Road America. This was my daughters first time at the track and my sons second. I treated my son to a ride into Elkhart Lake for the race car concours. You can see him below peeking his head over the door sill.

Click to view attachment

The race itself was one of the best I've had. I finished first in class and obtained by best lap time ever. They say that your engine always runs best when it's about to let loose. Sure enough I spun two rod bearings when returning to Road America in the fall...on my birthday. After a tear down a few weeks ago it appears that the engine fell victim to the infamous defective Glyco rod bearings. That's a topic for another thread...

Click to view attachment

With two non-running 914-6s, and a kitchen remodel slated for the spring, the decision was made to take the following race season off and focus efforts on getting the blue car back on the road.
vintage914racer
So, back to the blue 914-6. I should have started putting the engine back into the car last fall, but given the engine in the car is from a 1968 911S I had dreams of selling it for big bucks. After a couple bouts on eBay I had a number of offers and and equal amount of flaky buyers who fell through. A couple month ago I decided to simple put the engine back in.

Roughly nine days ago my wife flew down to Florida with the kids to visit her parents. Originally I had a work trip that overlapped with the trip and when that was cancelled it seemed like a great opportunity to stay home and burn some midnight oil working on the car. It's actually worked quite well given the kitchen and family room are torn apart as the remodelers do their magic.

I started by cleaning the decades of grime off of the engine tin and repainting it. I then managed to barely squeeze the engine between the runners of my lift and into position.

Click to view attachment

Then I figured I should at least tear into the transmission to see how things look and reseal before putting it back into the car.

Click to view attachment

Surprisingly the internals looked good, the first gear slider and dogteeth were remarkably pointy. In the interest of not sidelining the project more I determined that things looked good enough. I replaced all of the seals and buttoned it up. I do have to say that I've spent a lot of time inside side-shift equipped transmissions and next to none inside tailshifters. As a result, it took me awhile to figure out the best technique to getting the internal shift selector positioned properly.

Click to view attachment

I then proceeded to install the transmission.

Click to view attachment

I had it in in no time, but of course I was weary and when I went back to my bench I saw the throwout bearing sitting there. So, out it came, in went the throw out bearing and in went the transmission...again.

Click to view attachment

It was about now that I remembered that the CV joints were in rough shape and naturally replacement are NLA. At this point cannibalization kicked in. Knowing that I took a year off of racing, and that I wanted to refresh the CV's in the track car anyway, I pulled them off the orange car and put them on the blue car. Hopefully I don't regret this move in the future.

Click to view attachment

That's about where things sit today. I'm waiting on some gaskets for where the joint attached to the output flanges that are scheduled to arrive on Friday. I'll make quick work of buttoning the halfshafts up then go about connecting the fuel lines and wiring. Oh, I also failed to install the lower oil tank line prior to installing the oil tank so it looks like I'll have to pull the oil tank to get that installed than put the tank back in. I simply don't have small enough hands to make it work.

I hope to spend a couple hours on the car over the weekend. I'll follow up with more progress updates. Hopefully I can have the car on the ground running in two weeks or less.

rick 918-S
Had to bump this. Nice to see your back on the road Ben!
vintage914racer
After what's been way to long I'm happy to announce that the car is alive finally.

Once I got the engine and running gear installed back into the car I could not get any spark. Admittedly I didn't do a good job documenting where all the wires went when I tore it down. After too much tinkering I decided to bring it to a pro. Turns out a lead from the distributor wasn't connected properly. To make matters worse, the car needed a new CDI box as well. All told, after a new CDI box, points and a minor carb adjustment I'm told it runs like a champ.

I'm planning on picking up the car tomorrow and will post updates thereafter. I still need to figure out why the driver's rear brake is binding. I did remove the dust shields and possibly didn't install them correctly. The car runs upgraded rear calipers and there's a possibility I didn't put the spacers in correctly. I'll post more when I know more.

Cairo94507
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the big drive.
JRust
I agree congrats! Take some video of your first run
nine11speedster
Wow congrats! Yeah do a video!
rick 918-S
Love this car! beerchug.gif
vintage914racer
Once I get it home and off the trailer I'll slap the gopro on it and take it for a spin around the block
arkitect
Rick,
Awesome metal talents. With McMark moving away from the west coast we lost our metal magician.

Dave
vintage914racer
And she's back on the road. Drove it to work today. I had to renuild a rear caliper and replace a brake flex line on the other side. Lost a lot of skin on my knuckles doing the latter.

Click to view attachment

I still have a few loose ends, but nothing serious
-steering wheel is off about 30 degrees. Easy 2-minute fix
-transmission is leaking from the square plate at the very back. My plate is presumably warped beyond seal ability so I'll have to grab on from a spare tailshifter I have laying around.
-need to chase a valve cover and sump plate leak
-install passenger seat belt
-drive it a lot

I hope to put some miles on it this weekend. I'll post a few more pictures and perhaps a video
iwanta914-6
Where in Minneapolis? I'd love to stalk, I mean see it in person.
vintage914racer
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 21 2015, 07:23 AM) *

Minnetonka area
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(vintage914racer @ Aug 21 2015, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 21 2015, 07:23 AM) *

Minnetonka area

Going to the Porsche dealership next week when Magnus is there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.