Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2270 Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
blackmoon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 23 2014, 08:47 PM) *

Now it's $10K?? This is a streetable engine, or a full race engine? I understand the costs, I was just voicing what (maybe) a few others were thinking.

Conedogger's right, money well spent, I have a 2270 in my 914, plenty of torque and not to radical for the street. Its the motor the car should have had.
Larmo63
I just wondered. I'm new to these cars, not new to Porsches. It's eye opening to say the least.

I won't ask any more questions, ever. smile.gif
McMark
rolleyes.gif
tweet
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 25 2014, 12:46 AM) *

Thanks for jumping all over my newbie question. I just wondered. I'm new to these cars, not new to Porsches. It's eye opening to say the least.

I won't ask any more questions, ever.

The 914 is affectionately dubbed as the poor man's Porsche. However, it is still a Porsche. All Porsches cost more to maintain, than most other vehicles. Modifying a 914 will run you as much money as you would like to spend. You are only limited by your pocket. Mark is experienced at what he does; he knows his business. He is being kind enough, to create a thread, for those of us who want to follow along, who maybe don't have the $7,000 or $10,000 or $17,000 to spend. This is exactly the point of this thread. It's a do it yourself, if you dare, and save the dough topic.
ww914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 24 2014, 09:46 PM) *

Thanks for jumping all over my newbie question. I just wondered. I'm new to these cars, not new to Porsches. It's eye opening to say the least.

Don't ever be afraid to ask questions, just don't be afraid to deal with the answers.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(blackmoon @ Mar 24 2014, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 23 2014, 08:47 PM) *

Now it's $10K?? This is a streetable engine, or a full race engine? I understand the costs, I was just voicing what (maybe) a few others were thinking.

Conedogger's right, money well spent, I have a 2270 in my 914, plenty of torque and not to radical for the street. Its the motor the car should have had.

Porsche/VW would still be building a derivative of the 914 today if they had put a 2270 or at least a 2056 in the 914 to begin with. The 2432 Mark and I built that is soon going into John's car, is probably more motor than you need.

Just my opinion, but if you aren't concerned about originality and some definitely should be, all stockish rebuilds should be 2056 at least and 2270 is a more complicated but very nice motor.

Mark builds very nice streetable motors. Every guy would like to spend the night with Katy Perry, but live with her? Not so much. Mark's 1.7 turbo experiment is a success in every way. When he ups the displacement and puts a bigger turbo on it, it is going to fly... I'm really looking forward to seeing this project run. He charges what he charges because he is worth AT LEAST THAT MUCH!
pilothyer
Looking forward to more of this thread, please don't let it die popcorn[1].gif
Matt Romanowski
There are lots of cases that have the bores out of line if you check. Think about these cases being over 38 years old, made from aluminum, torqued, pounded, and heat cycled. They move a bunch.
McMark
Been waiting on heads. I don't want to put the bottom end together until I have all the pieces. Plus I had a bit of a crisis of faith, but I've decided to at the very least finish this motor.
Mike D.
Mark, what heads are you using?
914werke
"Crisis of Faith"?
boxsterfan
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 24 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Been waiting on heads. I don't want to put the bottom end together until I have all the pieces. Plus I had a bit of a crisis of faith, but I've decided to at the very least finish this motor.

What heads did you go with on this 2270 build?

What are your targeted HP and Torque numbers on this motor?
McMark
Haven't yet. I have some rebuilt stock heads, but I'm holding out for something more interesting. wink.gif

I'm looking forward to getting back to this build once my move is over.
boxsterfan
icon_bump.gif One of my favorite threads.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 25 2014, 05:46 PM) *

Jeez you got flamed Lawrence ,not sure why,not like your question wasn't unreasonable......

sixnotfour
interesting , I posted an engine add on Samba for 2500 and some replies are they did not think their 914 was worth 2500......

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=279118
cgnj
QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 6 2014, 09:33 PM) *

Think I have said this a few times now, but check out the later 2.1 Vanagon throttle body. 50mm, bolts to the 1.8 plenum, and has a few other neat things about it. You just want to massage out the opening on the plenum a bit to match the larger size. Intake runners on the 1.8 are the largest stock diameter you can get (same as the 2.0 914 setup)

Hi,
You need to explain this to me. I just measured the volume of a 2.1 liter vanadon plenum and a 2.0 porsche plenum. Volumes are not even close. Additionally, for a 2270 the minimum throttle body size is 58 MM. Not going to fit on a vanagon tb. I just measured and mocked this up this afternoon. Tell me why your experience is different than mine.

Carlos
JamesM
QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 27 2016, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 6 2014, 09:33 PM) *

Think I have said this a few times now, but check out the later 2.1 Vanagon throttle body. 50mm, bolts to the 1.8 plenum, and has a few other neat things about it. You just want to massage out the opening on the plenum a bit to match the larger size. Intake runners on the 1.8 are the largest stock diameter you can get (same as the 2.0 914 setup)

Hi,
You need to explain this to me. I just measured the volume of a 2.1 liter vanadon plenum and a 2.0 porsche plenum. Volumes are not even close. Additionally, for a 2270 the minimum throttle body size is 58 MM. Not going to fit on a vanagon tb. I just measured and mocked this up this afternoon. Tell me why your experience is different than mine.

Carlos

What do i need to explain here? My experience is different than yours in that i have experience. This is the setup I have been running on my autox car for the last 3 years, it works great, To be clear though I never said anything about a Vanagon plenum, I am using the 1.8 plenum which is actually even smaller. Also to be clear I am running this on 2056, but its a 2056 that spends a good deal of of time above 6k RPM. Is it theoretically perfect, no, but no off the shelf parts are going to be. In fact even going fully custom you might have a hard time getting to theoretically perfect just due to the engine layout. It does work extremely well though and is simple to put together.

I am curious as to how you came to the conclusion that a 58mm throttle body is the MINIMUM for a 2270. Theoretical calculations as well as real world experience tells me this is on the upper side of where you would want to be unless your looking to build a max power high revving 2270, in which case you might as well be running ITBs anyways as the throttle body is not going to be your limiting factor.

Depending on what sort of motor you are building, best throttle control for a 2270 is most likely going to be somewhere between a 47-52mm throttle body.
McMark
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Mar 25 2016, 09:06 PM) *

Thanks! I'm itching to get back to it. I may have changed the path this engine build will take though. I'm working on a lot of little projects that may end up in this build as a prototype. happy11.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Mar 26 2016, 01:06 AM) *

agree.gif I've been patiently waiting for McMark to take it up again, but I'm sure he's had maybe one or two other little things to do since putting this on pause.
flmont
Plus,. too many questions,..Let McMark,..get thru the build at least,..then start with the questions,..it would take him months to answer every Question as he tries to explain the build,..just a thought..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.