Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad advice on this BBS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TheCabinetmaker
Rant on.

i'm personally get very tired of the bad advice given by some folks here who obviously have no idea what they are talking about, and probably don't own a 914 or have never even seen one, much less driven one. You know who you are! I will not name names. Newbies, do a search before you post your questions, and take into consideration that not everyone here is a "guru", including me. I state only facts that I believe are true, recheck my facts before I do a final post, and delete the ones I think might be questionable or make me look like a complete dumbass! I give advice on the stuff I know to be fact, and request knowledge of things I don't know about from those I respect. Other than that, I try to keep my mouth shut and talk about Fat Tire, but you guys have tripped my trigger!!!!!!!!

Bullshit artist beware! I'm gonna bust your balls every chance I get!!!! No Mercy!

Rant off
MattR
Ive never driven my 914 IPB Image, am I a noob?
aircooledboy
IPB Image Boy, that's . . . um. . . . . . great Curt.

hmmmmmmmmm.
Air_Cooled_Nut
WTF R U talking'bout, Willis? IPB Image
tracks914
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jan 4 2005, 06:54 PM)
WTF R U talking'bout, Willis? IPB Image

IPB Image
Brett W
IPB Image
IPB Image

Name names and specifics, otherwise your rant means nothing.
TheCabinetmaker
If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, then I ain't talking to you. IPB Image

Matt, you'll drive it one day. Just keep at it. You a noob? Naaa!
d7n7master
Ohhhh, muck.
Sorry, I must have logged onto my ricer board by mistake. IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
I'm not gonna name names. They know who they are!!!
Howard
I apologize for anything slits may have said. IPB Image
MattR
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Jan 4 2005, 07:03 PM)
Matt, you'll drive it one day. Just keep at it. You a noob? Naaa!

Hey, i swear, the 914 is just a VW... IPB Image
URY914
Damn, I hope it wasn't me IPB Image
vortrex
if you are not man enough to name names then send them an email in private with your complaints. there is no use making this public statement to people you aren't going to clue in.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Jan 4 2005, 09:06 PM)
I'm not gonna name names. They know who they are!!!

Hey!

IPB Image

Sorry Curt. Couldn't resist. IPB Image
TimT
Ive got some advice

Beat the dog
kick the wife
Start drinking heavily,
Start doing blow and heroin
Start smoking

Its all bad advice, there I admit it LOL

yikes working the nigh-shift does things to ones senses
markb
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 4 2005, 07:22 PM)
Damn, I hope it wasn't me IPB Image

Me too! IPB Image
drew365
I'll bet the variation on the wieght of Fuchs had something to do with it. I remember someone was peeved off by an answer about that. I'm just glad my advice is always 100% accurate! IPB Image
MXMARK
I hope it wasn't me. I only talk or answer what I have experienced. Sorry if it was me. Thanks Mark
lapuwali
This "problem" is as old as the Internet itself, and has gotten much worse since 1988, when I first started to waste time on it. The barrier to simply saying what's on your mind, or parroting garbage, is simply too low. The solution now is the same as it was then, if someone is wrong, correct them. Explain why they're wrong. Cite references if you can.

There is nothing more irritating to me than someone shouting "You're wrong!" at me w/o saying what's wrong and offering the right answer. We all learn if someone else publicly corrects a mistake (which can be done politely). Of course, the "right" answer is often wrong in itself, which can start a lively discussion (ahem), which is what this forum and others like it are all about.
lapuwali
QUOTE (drew365 @ Jan 4 2005, 07:37 PM)
I'll bet the variation on the wieght of Fuchs had something to do with it. I remember someone was peeved off by an answer about that. I'm just glad my advice is always 100% accurate! IPB Image

And the results still aren't in, since two of the five answers were 9-ish lbs, two others were 13-ish pounds, and the last was 11-ish lbs.

And the first person who stated the 9-ish number (me) owned up to the fact that the number may be completely bogus, even though it agrees with a certified scale. The thing learned here was that weighing things isn't as straightforward as it seems. Full disclosure all around, and if anyone is still offended about that, tough.
lapuwali
Oh, and you misspelled "weight"...
Rouser
I only talk or answer what I have experienced.

Yep, me too. IPB Image
onrails
um,,,,,,,,,,,,,need a midol?
that time of the month?
take a shot of scotch,,
point made. i've read some stupid advice lately.{chopsticks}
but,,,,,um take a valium.
see you in the morrow!

BRIAN IPB Image
aircooledboy
What if we do this: when the admins send the new members their password, the message should warn them that if the newbies give advice later determined to be wrong by any member, then the closest member will go to their house and kick their ass. IPB Image

That should fix things. The last thing we need here is folks feeling free to participate in the discussions without a fully researched and verified opinion.

WTF? IPB Image
skline
Oh shit, I'm busted, sorry guys, I am the newbie with no clue. I appologize and will remain silent from now on.

IPB Image
drew365
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 4 2005, 07:52 PM)
Oh, and you misspelled "weight"...

But I meant to do that. IPB Image
TheCabinetmaker
reread my first post. It was a warning to the new guys not to believe everything they read here.

Like I said, they know who they are and I will not name names!!.

This is not about an indiviual or a group. It's about those who post without thinking about the consequences of what they post. I would die inside if I posted something that caused someone to fuck up their car.
mightyohm
Don't believe everything you read.

There's bad advice in "real life" too. I think most people are pretty good at separating out the BS.
jimtab
I thought it was a good idea...help spread confusion...make BIG mistakes....like me! And don't blame Howard for the confusion about the track fees at the WCC 2005, he has a lot on his plate..... IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Dr Evil
Jeewiz IPB Image

Hi Jim!
elwood-914
Jesus. Lighten up Francis..........
Brent
Speaking as a noob IPB Image , I haven't seen anything suggested that
would cause me or more importantly my cars harm.

I hate to bring up my marital "debates", but similar to these experiences
on communicating, without any details you are
just misfiring. Is there any make up sex equivalent on this
BBS??? (only real reason for arguing).

If not ....then what is the purpose of calling out a mystical
evil presence? (member 666)

I've seen your post on OU getting jobbed by SC, and they are filled
with humility, very big on your part.

Keep form, sack up, and provide an example, at least.

Cheers, Newbie Californian and SC football fan.
(quoting a infamous SCalifornian " can't we all just get along?")
lapuwali
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Jan 4 2005, 08:19 PM)
reread my first post. It was a warning to the new guys not to believe everything they read here.

Like I said, they know who they are and I will not name names!!.

This is not about an indiviual or a group. It's about those who post without thinking about the consequences of what they post. I would die inside if I posted something that caused someone to fuck up their car.

"Who's the bigger fool, the fool or the fool who follows him?"
Eric_Shea
Damn it Capt'n... What'd ya say this time?

(Go Utes)
d7n7master
So how about just posting the noob's initials??? Doesn't have to get too personal.
Give us a hint. Does it start with a D & end with an R??? IPB Image IPB Image
Trekkor
I knew I shouldn't have said anything about converting to a SIX. IPB Image

Seriously, near everything you hear today, no matter where you go, is "bad advice". IPB Image

You really have to be careful before you do anything that might have unfortunate consequences.

KT
Aaron Cox
ok...im gone.... ive made 5000 bad advice posts.....

gawd.... do i gotta walk the plank? JK...i speak only about what i have done, and speculate on otheres

im betting this is over the chopstick thread
Trekkor
Don't make me angry...You won't like me when I'm angry.
Brando
When I said to douse the car in gasoline and throw Molotov Cocktails at it, I wasn't being serious... IPB Image
914Timo

IPB Image James, I like your comments. This one and earlier.

Have you really start to "mess" with internet at 1988??

I think its only funny to see those stupid advices from people who dont know what they are talking about. They have read this and that from the internet and after that they thinks thay are real gurus. IPB Image

Luckily I have not seen it so much at this forum. Thats why I like 914Club. Luckily we have so many REAL gurus here shearing they advices.
lapuwali
QUOTE (914Timo @ Jan 4 2005, 11:55 PM)

IPB Image James, I like your comments. This one and earlier.

Have you really start to "mess" with internet at 1988??

Yes, I got my first email address in 1988, and was loitering around Usenet back when it was worth the trouble. In that time, the average IQ on the Internet (which started primarily as a research tool for universities and defense contractors) was substantially higher than it is now. I was there helping to keep the average from getting too high. IPB Image

My wife has me beat, too. She got her first email address in 1984.

As for the quote, who said that originally? It's from a very well known movie.
airsix
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 5 2005, 12:05 AM)
As for the quote, who said that originally? It's from a very well known movie.

Obiwan Kenobi. Starwars Episode IV "A New Hope". 1977
Saw it opening week at age 7.

-Ben M. (Internet latecomer. No email until 1994)
buck toenges
So prestone isn't the best antifreeze for a 914? IPB Image
Jeroen
what did I say IPB Image
IPB Image
tdgray
WOW.... and I thought I needed laid IPB Image

I apologize for advising Slits to make fun of Aaron.... I never thought it would go that far IPB Image
Mark Henry
This kind of reminds me of what I told the wife when we first started going out and have told her several times since.

"I'm too fuching stupid to get hints and I'm not a mind reader. If you've got something to say...say it. No point to getting bent out of shape, when I don't even know that something is pissing you off."

My wife doesn't play stupid mind games and it's the reason we have a good marriage.

That said I hope it wasn't me.... IPB Image
DNHunt
Damn Mark that's good advice so, it can't be you. I'm gonna try that line on my wife.

Dave
Bruce Allert
FAT TIAR is caca

IPB Image .......b IPB Image
spunone
IPB Image I'm a newbie and I only look at pictures IPB Image
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Jan 4 2005, 08:00 PM)
What if we do this: when the admins send the new members their password, the message should warn them that if the newbies give advice later determined to be wrong by any member, then the closest member will go to their house and kick their ass. IPB Image

That should fix things. The last thing we need here is folks feeling free to participate in the discussions without a fully researched and verified opinion.

WTF? IPB Image

Whew glad I live far from most of you. I would hate to get a suprise ass kicking.
Yea I tryied to stay away from the chop stick thing which was very entertaining. Several potential DAPO's posted. But since they still own the car that makes them just a DA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.