Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LEDs For Front Turnsignal Bucket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
cary
I'm in for a US version pair. Changed my mind, I'll take a Euro set. Way to cool.I'd like the blanking version. White off when flasher/turn signal is on.
Can we get them with amber and clear/white on when in the running/headlight mode?
Zimms
I am in for option 2
sportlicherFahrer
Still in for one set of option 1 please.
Spoke
The first prototype boards arrived today. The fit is ok but will need some tweaks.

I'll build up the first units this weekend and see how they look.

Because the LED turnsignals may cause some interaction with the stock turnsignal flasher unit, I was thinking about adding an optional power resistor on a pigtail which then would sit in the base of the front bucket. The power resistor would make the flasher unit happy and eliminate any interaction with the LED lights.
JmuRiz
Very cool stuff, are you going to do one like in post #6...those would be great daytime running lights for clear lenses!

I'll keep watching this thread...once front is figured out I'll order some rears and fronts.
914Mike
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 3 2014, 08:37 AM) *

This was posted in my LED brake thread. One picture says a lot.

Click to view attachment

While that may be true, matching the color is not always the desired outcome.

Case in point, rear Euro lenses on US housings. Most people just slap them on, not realizing that their rear tail lights and side markers have turned to amber, which is not exactly legal. I solved that on my '71 by putting red LEDs in those sockets, which color the amber lenses red until the amber turn signal LEDs flash.

Loss of brightness from the red LEDs was actually what I needed to balance the tail light and side marker against the turn signals. And it looks pretty cool too, all red in back like it's supposed to be, then the amber just completely washes out the red when blinking.
Cairo94507
Hi Spoke:

I am hoping that when Scotty is ready for lights in my car we will be able to buy one complete set, front/rear and side markers in LED.
Harpo
Thanks for the update. Looks good

David
GermermanCarGuy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 15 2014, 07:10 AM) *

Haven't made too much progress on the fronts. dry.gif

There are 2 issues to work out with the mounting of the LEDs on this board. Given that the LEDs will be mounted such that they are at 45 (or so) degree angle from the board, I've been in consultation with the guys at work on how to mount the LEDs about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch above the board, then bend all the leads so the LEDs all point in the same direction (toward the front of the car).

The second issue is how to secure the LEDs to the board as to take the stress of vibration off of the solder on the long leads. We're thinking the LED body will need to be glued, caulked, or conformal coated to the board.

sunglasses.gif Referring to your "how to secure" issue... how about mounting the bulbs straight in to provide secure solder contacts, bend bulbs to 45 degrees for proper alignment, then add (front and/or back) a soft gel coat sealant similar to what AMC used on early 70's Jeep power control modules. With bulb tips protruding, the whole unit would be secured against excessive vibration and have a level of water-proofing. Drawback -- thickness.

Any thoughts of bundling fronts and rears (w/side markers as a 2-wire plug-in upgrade option) together. I'd be game for a complete set, Euro style please. I'd really like to add this upgrade to my build. Thanks
mobymutt
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 26 2014, 11:16 PM) *

That's one issue. The second is once the leads are bent, how to take the stress of securing the LED off of the soft solder on the leads. Eventually the vehicle vibration through the LED bodies will wear out the solder and the solder will fail. Somehow the body of the LED must be secured to the board by other mechanical means. Right now I'm thinking about conformal coating or caulking of some sort.

Any ideas on soldering the LEDs 3/16" off the board or securing the body to the board are welcome.

Click to view attachment

I know nothing about circuit board design, but that won't stop me from chiming in on this. BTW, I think both these lights and the LED tail lights are awesome, they are on my Christmas list.

First, I am not convinced that the vibrational stress on the soldered connections will really be all that different on the long bent leads vs the standard ones. That being said, I understand your concern, better to be safe than sorry!

What if you make a 3D printed support that follows the profile of the circuit board, but is stair-shaped in cross section -- this support piece would go between the LEDs and the circuit board, and provide secure support for the bulbs. Perhaps you could integrate the bucket mounting features into it as well. I can model something up if you think this idea has any merit, just PM me.
mikesmith
Rather than bend the leads, just increase the drill size so that the LED sits naturally in the hole at the right angle. Build a jig to hold the board tilted so the LEDs flop over.

This would be a nuisance to set up if you were wave soldering (you'd want a different jig that secured the LEDs at the correct angle), but assuming you're still assembling these by hand (you masochist) it should be simple.

With this layout, the low side of the LED should be touching the board, so a generous coating of conformal will bind the LEDs to the board, giving you the mechanical strength you wanted.

Also, +1 for a set of the Euros.
Steve
Depending on cost, I will take a set of Euro LED's.
euro911
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 3 2014, 03:14 PM) *
EURO

please... smile.gif
Wow, just saw this tonight WTF.gif

Nice popcorn[1].gif

Wouldn't it be more like this though, Rob ?

E
U
R

O

poke.gif

... and I'm in for a pair of EURO units of course smile.gif
CptTripps
If you're worried about vibration, you could always use a rubber grommet at the mount points.

These look awesome, and I'd love a set to match my tail lights too.
Spoke
Thanks all for ideas on mounting the LEDs. We've been discussing this at work for a while and have come up with several solutions.

Here's one that we've kicked around. This would have a spacer jig to keep the LEDs a uniform distance off the board when soldering. The production jig would encompass all the LEDs at once.

This test piece is simply 2 layers of protoboard glued together. I did one LED row and it worked well. Just bent the LEDs until they contact the board.
kid914
piratenanner.gif in for a US set. I still have to order the rears. blink.gif
john77
In for a set to go with my rears.
eric9144
In for a US set... beerchug.gif
Spoke
Built up the first prototype; except for 3 white LEDs; need to order more. dry.gif

The jig to bend leads worked well although the angle was slightly too great so the top of the board needs to be deeper than the bottom. Need to adjust the jig so the board can sit flush in the bucket.

euro911
Jerry, if the upper end of the board sits further down in the bucket, why not just supply a stand-off and a long screw for the upper end? ... or am I missing something ?
Harpo
Looks awesome Jerry +1 euro

David
speed metal army
Yep! In for a set of fronts and rears as soon as the fronts are sorted. (euro fronts,rears)
Nice work. You have wayyy more patience than I do. beerchug.gif
Spoke
Took a couple of videos of the front LEDs. This is the Euro version.

First the turnsignals; then just the running light. For the turnsignal, the US lens is on. For the running light, the lens is removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Go4DQY5T3U

Now both the running light and the turnsignal with the US lens off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y2HTTtBjG8
JmuRiz
Is there anyway to turn the running light off when the turn signal is flashing?
The Audis do that, and it makes it easier to notice the flashing signal.

Either way, great progress.
euro911
In both video clips, are the driver side lamps the stock incandescent bulbs?

I notice a lag to full illumination, whereas the passenger side are a lot quicker and precise smile.gif

As far as I'm concerned, the same safety factor applies to the fronts. If they are brighter and easier to see by opposing traffic, they are definitively worth the $ idea.gif
Chris H.
Yep that's what it looks like. I just updated my original post...going US spec. When do you think these will be ready?

IanS
Those look amazing! I think I already replied in this thread but if not I definitely want a set. I have a US amber front light and no side markers so I guess I would want the non-euro light but I really like the running lights feature.
CptTripps
You know me...I'm in.
Spoke
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 8 2014, 07:25 PM) *

Jerry, if the upper end of the board sits further down in the bucket, why not just supply a stand-off and a long screw for the upper end? ... or am I missing something ?

I'm planning to mount these with brass sheet material like I started on the rear lights. I want to use the existing 2 screws for the lens cover to secure the board. As with the rears, the goal is to make no modifications, drilling, or wire changes to the bucket or lens.

I wanted the board to be flush with the bucket angle. This first pair will sit lower in the rear but will work just fine. Just doesn't look as nice as I would like it to. I need to make a jig that is slightly thinner than the one I used for the first board.
Spoke
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 11 2014, 05:15 PM) *

In both video clips, are the driver side lamps the stock incandescent bulbs?

I notice a lag to full illumination, whereas the passenger side are a lot quicker and precise smile.gif

As far as I'm concerned, the same safety factor applies to the fronts. If they are brighter and easier to see by opposing traffic, they are definitively worth the $ idea.gif

Yes, the driver side bulb is a standard 1157 bulb. When looking at the flashing of the bulb, when the bulb turns off, its illumination dies quite slowly such that it is almost off by the time the flasher turns back on. The LED is just ON-OFF, no slow turn on or lagging illumination.
Spoke
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 11 2014, 01:51 PM) *

Is there anyway to turn the running light off when the turn signal is flashing?
The Audis do that, and it makes it easier to notice the flashing signal.

Either way, great progress.

I thought about adding the blanking feature but some folks mentioned they didn't like it so I left it off. It does simplify the circuit but it could be added if folks thought it is important to blank the running lights when the turn signal is on.
db9146
I'm in for a pair of Euros. Nice.
mikesmith
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 12 2014, 02:41 PM) *

I thought about adding the blanking feature but some folks mentioned they didn't like it so I left it off. It does simplify the circuit but it could be added if folks thought it is important to blank the running lights when the turn signal is on.

For folks that want it, there are a number of modules like this one:

http://modifry.com/products/smm/index.htm

that can easily be added if you want the functionality...
Spoke
Couple more videos of the front LEDs. This is the Euro version.

First the turnsignals; then just the running light. For the turnsignal, the US lens is on. For the running light, the lens is removed.

I wanted to observe the angle of incidence on the LEDs. These LEDs have 15 degree 1/2 power angle. So for the turnsignals and running lights, I varied the angle of viewing from about +/- 45 degrees from the front of the car. I was about 30 feet away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEIcKTeHoa0

Now the running light with the US lens off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xe09_u_dSg
Cairo94507
WOW! first.gif Those front LED's are terrific. If people can't see those lights they need a cane.
Firstcar
Euro version with the white running lights looks great and is a good safety measure
(and I could stop running with the fogs on all the time). I think the blanking feature makes the turn signal more visible. Now how about an LED for the side marker wart that flashes with the turn signal!

kid914
First off, Spoke, you do awesome work at keeping US and our cars safe. first.gif Thank you. beerchug.gif
It might still be too early, but would you have an idea on price?
or did I miss it. drunk.gif
siverson
Very nice. I'll be in for a set when ready.

And... are there already rears available? Did I miss that?

-Steve
clapeza
I'm in for a Euro set, when available. Awesome work!

Chester
rnellums
Not sure if I posted yet, but I love my rear LED's and would love a stock front set to match!
CptTripps
As always....they look perfect.

I'm in for Euros when you have them ready. I'll gladly scrap the thing that I built already in favor of these.
euro911
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 15 2014, 01:09 PM) *
Couple more videos of the front LEDs. This is the Euro version.

I wanted to observe the angle of incidence on the LEDs. These LEDs have 15 degree 1/2 power angle. So for the turnsignals and running lights, I varied the angle of viewing from about +/- 45 degrees from the front of the car. I was about 30 feet away.

Now the running light with the US lens off.
Yes, very nice field of view. I likey smile.gif
BuddyV
914 people are friggin awesome..... thank you for this.

I am in for two when you are ready.

BITCHIN!!!!!!!!

drunk.gif
Spoke
I'd like to ask a favor of anyone interested in the front LED turnsignals: Try this test: Remove one of the front turnsignal bulbs and see if the flasher still works. Also check the dash indicator. Let me know what you find.

A little background; with the rear LED turnsignals some folks have had issues with the flasher either not flashing or the dash indicator not working correctly.

The interaction issues with classic flasher units and the light loads of LED lights is well known in the automotive industry. 2 ways to solve this are replacing the flasher with LED-compatible flasher or adding load resistors in parallel with the LED lights. I would like to find a nice compromise which would require minimum rewiring.

Thanks! beerchug.gif
mikesmith
+1 for a LED-compatible flasher.
Spoke
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Aug 22 2014, 01:06 AM) *

+1 for a LED-compatible flasher.

I only wish it were a simple change. The 914 uses the flasher for the turnsignals as well as the ebrake and MC warning flasher. It also has an output for the dash indicator(s) so they won't flash if the ebrake or MC is flashing.

If changing the flasher, one would have to replace the flasher, then rewire the dash indicator(s).

For the early tachs with L and R indicators, this as simple as grounding the wire going to the K output of the original flasher.

For late tachs with a single indicator, one would have to connect the indicator to both turnsignal wires (on the hazard switch) through a pair of diodes. The diodes would allow the indicator to light whether the R or L turnsignal is on.

If anyone has implemented an LED-compatible flasher, please share your work.
mikesmith
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 23 2014, 04:56 PM) *

I have a no-name Chinese LED-capable EP26 flasher in a '72. It's a plug-and-play install, no wiring changes required.

I can't speak with authority about the 74+ cars, but the wiring looks comparable.
lawnvett
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Aug 29 2014, 11:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 23 2014, 04:56 PM) *

I have a no-name Chinese LED-capable EP26 flasher in a '72. It's a plug-and-play install, no wiring changes required.

I can't speak with authority about the 74+ cars, but the wiring looks comparable.

Click to view attachment

My wife and I are new here but please put us down on the list for LED UPGRADES front and back, these look good, the 914 is hers, I drive a MGBGT with a 3.4 V6 and I use LED boards in the MG, really helps our little cars to be seen!Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
Put me down for euro fronts and possibly a 2nd pair for clear lens.
Spoke
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Aug 29 2014, 11:58 PM) *

Thanks Mike. Looks like AutoZone stocks this flasher. I'm going to pick one up and do some tests.

EP26 at AutoZone

Good point about the 74+ cars. See the diagram below. The flasher is used to flash the brake warning light for the MC or ebrake. The light load of the brake indicator keeps the turnsignal indicator from flashing. With the EP26 on 74+ cars it would seem the turnsignal indicator would flash with the MC or ebrake indicator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.