Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LEDs For Front Turnsignal Bucket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Spoke
On the radar are LED boards for the front turnsignal bucket. LEDs would be pointing directly to the front of the car to focus optical energy forward.

There are 3 versions I can think of:

1) US lens: All amber LEDs; all on low for running lights; on high for turnsignals.

2) Euro lens: White LEDs on the lower section; on for running lights; amber for turnsignals. White LEDs would turn off when turnsignals are on.

3) Clear lens: White running LEDs on the outside of the lens; Amber LEDs in the center for turnsignals. White LEDs would turn off when turnsignals are on.

Which versions would folks want? I think I would like the clear lens. The oval running lights would be unique.

Mock up of turnsignal LED PCB.

Click to view attachment

PCB for clear lens.

Click to view attachment

PCB for Euro lens.

Click to view attachment
R8CERX
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 30 2014, 08:35 PM) *

On the radar are LED boards for the front turnsignal bucket. LEDs would be pointing directly to the front of the car to focus optical energy forward.

There are 3 versions I can think of:

1) US lens: All amber LEDs; all on low for running lights; on high for turnsignals.

2) Euro lens: White LEDs on the lower section; on for running lights; amber for turnsignals. White LEDs would turn off when turnsignals are on.

3) Clear lens: White running LEDs on the outside of the lens; Amber LEDs in the center for turnsignals. White LEDs would turn off when turnsignals are on.

Which versions would folks want? I think I would like the clear lens. The oval running lights would be unique.

Mock up of turnsignal LED PCB.

PCB for clear lens.

PCB for Euro lens.

NICE!
very handy with them circuits!! beer.gif
Cairo94507
Outstanding!!!!
Chris H.
Update...I want the US version (#1).
Harpo
Awesome can't wait

David
CptTripps
So is this right for #3?
Chris H.
That looks cool! Reverse euro lens. You could also make the entire center section slightly lit in amber for driving. I'm sure you could have it either way.
JmuRiz
Very cool, "PCB for clear lens" would look great on my italian lens car.
Zimms
I am in for Euro lights
Spoke
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 31 2014, 09:33 AM) *

So is this right for #3?

I was thinking just the outer ring of white LEDs for driving, then center pic for turnsignals blink-ON, then no LEDs at all for turnsignals blink-OFF. But I'm not married to this.

I want to find out what suites folks best. There's too many good ideas amongst the 914world for me to say how it will be. beerchug.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 31 2014, 01:51 PM) *

I was thinking just the outer ring of white LEDs for driving, then center pic for turnsignals blink-ON, then no LEDs at all for turnsignals blink-OFF. But I'm not married to this.

You'll want SOMETHING illuminated on the light when it's blinking. If not, then you run the risk of someone not seeing that corner of your car. My mind went to someone cutting a left-hand turn too close and clipping me. I could be wrong though...who knows. I just thought that it'd be nice to have something lit there when it's in "blink mode".

Rock on man. Can't wait to see this all done! Put me on the "tester" list. biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
The white daylight running light ring going off when the yellow turn signals are flashing is similar to what the Audis do with their OE DRLs.
Spoke
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 31 2014, 02:40 PM) *

The white daylight running light ring going off when the yellow turn signals are flashing is similar to what the Audis do with their OE DRLs.

This is why I thought about shutting off the running light when the turnsignal is on. I've seen this on several new cars with LED running lights. It allows that side to emphasize the turnsignal light w/o drowning it out with the running light.
Cairo94507
My 997.2 has the front LED running lights and when you turn on the turn signal the running light remains illuminated and an orange LED bar illuminates and flashes. I think it looks good. I always thought the Audi looked funny stopped at a light with a turn signal on and that running light off and the other on. Just my 2 cents.
mrholland2
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 31 2014, 02:03 PM) *

This is why I thought about shutting off the running light when the turnsignal is on. I've seen this on several new cars with LED running lights. It allows that side to emphasize the turnsignal light w/o drowning it out with the running light.

I really like the version in the drawing. Can the DRL halos be REALLY obnoxiously bright? I want the people that wanna hit me to be in PAIN when they see me!!!!
mrholland2
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Mar 31 2014, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 31 2014, 02:03 PM) *

I really like the version in the drawing. Can the DRL halos be REALLY obnoxiously bright? I want the people that wanna hit me to be in PAIN when they see me!!!!

You could use it with American lenses too, yes?
mrholland2
Soooooo do we have a final answer on this? I love this idea!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Apr 3 2014, 01:40 AM) *

Soooooo do we have a final answer on this? I love this idea!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I'm targeting 3 versions:

US (all amber lens): All amber LEDs. All on softly for running lights; bright for turnsignals

Euro (clear bottom; amber top lens): White LEDs on the bottom, on bright when running lights on; top amber LEDs blink bright for turnsignals (the amber could be on softly or off for running lights for running lights)

Clear lens: White LEDs around perimeter, on bright when running lights on; center amber LEDs blink bright for turnsignals (the amber could be on softly or off for running lights)

After conversation with CptTripps, I don't think I will blank out the white LEDs when the turnsignal is blinking. More light = better. beer.gif
69telecaster
Aren't original bulbs white on US models?
Wouldn't white LED's behind the amber lenses be better?
confused24.gif

cm
CptTripps
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Apr 3 2014, 08:56 AM) *

Amber light through amber lenses will give more/better light. The wavelengths match, so you'll get more color.

::: someone correct me if I'm wrong, I just remember reading an article about that :::
chads74
I would love a set. I am keeping my fingers crossed I made the list for the rear set.
Spoke
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 3 2014, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(69telecaster @ Apr 3 2014, 08:56 AM) *

Amber light through amber lenses will give more/better light. The wavelengths match, so you'll get more color.

::: someone correct me if I'm wrong, I just remember reading an article about that :::

This was posted in my LED brake thread. One picture says a lot.

Click to view attachment

Here's the spectrum of a white LED compared with other light sources including a tungsten lamp. Notice how the LED, vapor lamp, and bar code scanner have high peaks at certain frequencies.

Much of the white LED's power is filtered out by the amber lens.

Click to view attachment

mrholland2
Sooooo. . what if I want to use the Euro version with an American lens? Will it be crappy or decent?
Sean

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 2 2014, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Apr 3 2014, 01:40 AM) *

I'm targeting 3 versions:

US (all amber lens): All amber LEDs. All on softly for running lights; bright for turnsignals

Euro (clear bottom; amber top lens): White LEDs on the bottom, on bright when running lights on; top amber LEDs blink bright for turnsignals (the amber could be on softly or off for running lights for running lights)

Clear lens: White LEDs around perimeter, on bright when running lights on; center amber LEDs blink bright for turnsignals (the amber could be on softly or off for running lights)

After conversation with CptTripps, I don't think I will blank out the white LEDs when the turnsignal is blinking. More light = better. beer.gif

morgan_harwell
I like #2 for my 914:

2) Euro lens: White LEDs on the lower section; on for running lights; amber for turnsignals.
Spoke
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Apr 3 2014, 03:59 PM) *

Sooooo. . what if I want to use the Euro version with an American lens? Will it be crappy or decent?
Sean

Should work ok. White LEDs may look a little less bright.

Will have to test this out. I am ordering some white LEDs to do some testing. I need to see how bright the white LEDs are plus I need to measure the on voltage to determine the bias circuit.
ConeDodger
EURO

please... smile.gif
john77
I'm in for a set, just not sure which one. I have euro lenses but are the US/euro housings different? I opened mine up expecting to find a bulb top and bottom but there was only one up in the top. Yes, I'm new to 914s...
StratPlayer
I'd be in for a set of the Euro's
scottb
in for euro pair
zambezi
I would be in for one set as well. I have the clear Italian lenses so option 3 would be for me.
Jim
cconcepcion
euro por favor! 1 pair with blanking feature...
Zimms
I am in for 1 pair of euros
monkeyboy
1 set of Euros when they are ready. Thank you.
Rleog
Add me to the Euro lens list.
McMark
It would add to build cost, of course, but a selector switch to change configuration and a universal board?

But there probably isn't space for that either.
zymurgist
I like the Euro idea. May want to run with amber lenses for now though, since that is what I have.
IanS
I would like an amber set please Mr. Spoke
Harpo
Good morning Jerry,

Any update on the Front turn signal buckets.

Thanks

David
75-914
Euro for me too!
tomeric914
Jerry, you suck. Now I HAVE to buy these too. KMA.gif

I like the Euro setup that you're working on especially if it plugs right into a standard US setup and only requires a lens change.

Put me down for a pair.
sportlicherFahrer
+1 for front Euro as well please! REALLY like the way the full Euro/Brake set up looks on the rear.
jacksun
just and idea to be used or not.

why not tie in the turn signals with the side marker light..

it blinks with the turn signal.

orthobiz
US lens for me. Especially after my rear kit arrives and is installed!

Paul
Spoke
Haven't made too much progress on the fronts. dry.gif

There are 2 issues to work out with the mounting of the LEDs on this board. Given that the LEDs will be mounted such that they are at 45 (or so) degree angle from the board, I've been in consultation with the guys at work on how to mount the LEDs about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch above the board, then bend all the leads so the LEDs all point in the same direction (toward the front of the car).

The second issue is how to secure the LEDs to the board as to take the stress of vibration off of the solder on the long leads. We're thinking the LED body will need to be glued, caulked, or conformal coated to the board.
75-914
sent PM
Spoke
Had some down time on the rear LED boards while my buddy's 3d printer was repaired and the flow of plastic clips dried up so I worked the layout of the front LED boards.

Seems more interest in the Euro front bucket so I'm starting with that version.

It would be ideal to make a universal board do US and Euro format unfortunately the white running light LEDs have a higher voltage drop than the amber thus 3 white LEDs are in series versus 4 amber LEDs per string. Therefore it's difficult to make a Euro board into a US board.

Here's some 3d drawings of the board so far.

The board has 48 amber turnsignal LEDs and 21 white running light LEDs.

There will be a configuration option with the Euro lights: The amber turnsignal LEDs can be configured to be dimly on for running lights or off for running lights.

Here's what the board looks like now when viewed from the front of the 914.

Click to view attachment

Here's a side view of the board. As SirAndy pointed out with the rear lights, the dispersion angle is tight with these LEDs so they must be pointing in the direction that light is intended; that is directly in front of the car. Mounting them perpendicular to the board will not do as the light will be pointed into the sky at about a 45 degree angle.

Click to view attachment

This pic shows a close-up of the one difficulty with the LED angle that I'm trying to solve. Unlike this pic of the board, the leads will be bent and perpendicular though the board. Somehow the LED has to be soldered about 3/16 of an inch off the board then leads bent so the LED is at about a 45 degree angle.

That's one issue. The second is once the leads are bent, how to take the stress of securing the LED off of the soft solder on the leads. Eventually the vehicle vibration through the LED bodies will wear out the solder and the solder will fail. Somehow the body of the LED must be secured to the board by other mechanical means. Right now I'm thinking about conformal coating or caulking of some sort.

Any ideas on soldering the LEDs 3/16" off the board or securing the body to the board are welcome.

Click to view attachment
swooshdave
Drill the holes at an angle?
sportlicherFahrer
Rubber support strips under each row, or clear plastic epoxy on either the whole board or a bead on each individual LED?

Depending on how deep these are mounted in the bucket the housing may help reflection, and the lenses are fluted to help direct light. Not sure if anyone has played with the configuration yet to see.
tomeric914
Build a jig to prebend LED leads at a 45 degree angle and solder through the board normally?

http://www.kingbrightusa.com/ApplicationNo...h-Hole_LEDs.pdf
Spoke
Just about ready to fab the first prototypes of the front marker lights.

The board will have 3 options:

1) Euro: Cool white LEDs on the bottom on brightly with running lights; top amber LEDs on brightly with turnsignal, off with running lights.

2) Euro: Same as 1 except the amber LEDs on dimly with running lights.

3) US: All LEDs are amber; all on dimly with running lights, brightly with turnsignal.

Here's how the board looks now. There are a total of 69 LEDs. In Euro trim, 21 are cool white and 48 are amber. In US trim, all 69 are amber.

Click to view attachment

On the back of the board, notice how few resistors are behind the white running LEDs. This is done to spread out the heat emitting components for the running lights to keep the temperatures a low as possible.

Click to view attachment

I did a mock-up with a piece of wood with a couple of LEDs mounted. This is about where the board will sit. At this time I'm leaning towards metal clips on each end of the board which will slide under the lens gasket and be held on by the lens screws.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.