QUOTE(fp racer @ Jul 18 2014, 08:18 PM) *

I want to buy a Q gear for a 901. Anybody have one for sale? thanks

I have a Q 4th available. Will PM you.
race914
QUOTE(fasthonda @ Jul 20 2014, 07:53 AM) *

Hey FP Racer, What ratio setup are you planning to run at Laguna?
fp racer
QUOTE(race914 @ Jul 22 2014, 07:46 AM) *

Not sure what ratio I will use. I'm trying to work that out now. Any advice ?
race914
QUOTE(fp racer @ Jul 23 2014, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(race914 @ Jul 22 2014, 07:46 AM) *

Not sure what ratio I will use. I'm trying to work that out now. Any advice ?

My 914 is a 4 with around 150hp and around 1900lbs and I run Ka-Q-V which works pretty well for me. With our 914-6 which was around 240hp and 2100lbs I ran M-S-X

With the 4 I actually hit top speed between 4 and 5 not down the straight since that is somewhat uphill.. and the incline from 6 to the corkscrew is rough on my 4, but I can run the V and still 'somewhat' continue to accelerate.

What are you running now?

fp racer
Right now I'm running MSX. I have about 150hp. I never use 5th so I need to change the gearing around.
race914
QUOTE(fp racer @ Jul 24 2014, 09:27 AM) *

Right now I'm running MSX. I have about 150hp. I never use 5th so I need to change the gearing around.

Know what you mean. M-S-X worked great in the 6 but that was a 3.2

Ka-Q-V seems to work the best with my 4 at Laguna.

I think you'll like the 'Q' for 4th. The 'Ka' 3rd works great for turn 2 and 8. And I moved 'V' from 4th to 5th and just about redline end of the main straight, also just as I reach turn 5, and I can still accelerate up the hill to the corkscrew, nothing dramatic but still gaining some speed. Pretty good setup for me anyway at Laguna.

Here's the RPM/MPH chart for this setup

Click to view attachment

Do you still have the stock 5th 'ZD' to flip to make the 'Ka' 3rd?

bam914
I used I N S V in my FP 914. It is nice having a usable 2nd gear.
campbellcj
I just did my first time trial at Laguna with GA/Ka/Q/V; a lot of rowing between 3rd and 4th but it kept my high-revving 6 in the powerband nicely. I experimented with using 5th on the two longest straights vs. just holding 4th; not sure which was quicker (damn data acq malfunctioned.)
race914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 27 2014, 10:58 AM) *

I just did my first time trial at Laguna with GA/Ka/Q/V; a lot of rowing between 3rd and 4th but it kept my high-revving 6 in the powerband nicely. I experimented with using 5th on the two longest straights vs. just holding 4th; not sure which was quicker (damn data acq malfunctioned.)

I could run a gear sheet for your redline on your 6 if that would help out....
campbellcj
QUOTE(race914 @ Jul 28 2014, 08:00 AM) *

I could run a gear sheet for your redline on your 6 if that would help out....

Thanks, I have one. I use a slightly tweaked version of the Excel gear chart that has floated around here for years. Would be glad to share it with anyone in need.
race914
Wow... How time flies... That sheet has been around for years!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79893

Would be cool if you'd post your car info (weight, cc, hp, redline, etc) along with your gear set info there for others to reference...

I've got a new setup I'm about to post after I get some data on how it's doing.

campbellcj
QUOTE(race914 @ Jul 28 2014, 08:59 AM) *

Wow... How time flies... That sheet has been around for years!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79893

Would be cool if you'd post your car info (weight, cc, hp, redline, etc) along with your gear set info there for others to reference...

I've got a new setup I'm about to post after I get some data on how it's doing.

Same here! Same trans and gearset but I'm now running a fresh engine, flares, wider wheels and different tires. I need to get the car weighed and dyoed, probably in September as I may be changing POC classes and getting classed for VARA (which I'm 98% sure will be GTU).
race914
FP Racer,

My best advice is....

1) Start with the corner that leads to the longest straight

2) Measure the fastest MPH you can take that turn

3) Go to the Gear Chart and find the gear that puts you at the best "entry power band" at that speed. For example my 4 "comes on" at 4000 Rpm so I want to enter that corner at 4000 RPM and then RIP IT!

4) Find that gear that puts you in that power band at that MPH. That's what you need for that corner.

914 World Gear Sheet

The corner onto the longest straight is the most important...

Then take it from there and do the same for the other corners.
race914
QUOTE(race914 @ Jul 30 2014, 02:56 PM) *

FP Racer,

My best advice is....

1) Start with the corner that leads to the longest straight

2) Measure the fastest MPH you can take that turn

3) Go to the Gear Chart and find the gear that puts you at the best "entry power band" at that speed. For example my 4 "comes on" at 4000 Rpm so I want to enter that corner at 4000 RPM and then RIP IT!

4) Find that gear that puts you in that power band at that MPH. That's what you need for that corner.

914 World Gear Sheet

The corner onto the longest straight is the most important...

Then take it from there and do the same for the other corners.

Now I kinda feel like this guy

IPB Image

Don't hate me for knowing what I'm doing....
and sharing...

The way I see it, if our cars are all equal it's down to the driver....
That's the real test
fp racer
QUOTE(bam914 @ Jul 24 2014, 05:05 PM) *

I used I N S V in my FP 914. It is nice having a usable 2nd gear.

S is going to be my 5th at Laguna for the runoffs. Now I'm looking for a J or HB for 3rd
brant
FJOSV
fp racer
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 30 2014, 08:25 PM) *

FJOSV

Brant that's to tall for my car. I'm not even at max revs now in forth at Laguna. The trick setup is J-M-R but your motor needs to rev in the 8000,s
brant
It's a box for all tracks. 4 gears for short tracks and 5 gears for long tracks.

The 4 useable gears are as good and close ratio as most boxes that have an A first that is not used. FJOS is a good set of ratios on most tracks

V is only 900 rpm's different than 4th
fp racer
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 30 2014, 10:41 PM) *

It's a box for all tracks. 4 gears for short tracks and 5 gears for long tracks.

The 4 useable gears are as good and close ratio as most boxes that have an A first that is not used. FJOS is a good set of ratios on most tracks

That might work but I'm having a hard time finding any gears I need. Plus I'm not going to mortgage the house to buy them. Lol
race914
QUOTE(fp racer @ Jul 30 2014, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 30 2014, 10:41 PM) *

That might work but I'm having a hard time finding any gears I need. Plus I'm not going to mortgage the house to buy them. Lol

I know what you mean about the cost. $795 for new Albins gearsets
One Source for Albins No affiliation found this eBay store while looking at Giken Diffs. And used gears are up in the $600 range from some vendors.

I've had good luck in the classifieds here, eBay, The Samba, even Craigslist a couple of times, and of course Dr. Evil who is my first stop for all things 901

Good luck on acquiring your gears. I'll let you know if I come across any
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.