Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official 904 Guage Kit thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Aaron Cox
Allright-

should have prices by tomorrow. I can offer these in 2 varieties; Provision for silver center (early) or without (late).
The Kit Includes a powdercoated face, and a laser cut backing plate. these are kits (like the originals- some assembly required, end user sources gauge housing and gauge modules)

please let me know who wants what....

Price: Estimated Retail $100-150 (should know tomorrow)
Aaron Cox
asketh and you shall recieveth
MattR
What quality should we expect?
vortrex
might want to tell price too, those two plates of metal aren't cheap. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jan 28 2005, 12:34 AM)
might want to tell price too, those two plates of metal aren't cheap. IPB Image

original post has been edited.
Dr Evil
Oh man, they were supposed to be
Price I am not sure yet, shooting for below $100 shipped, will try to make it less than that

When did the price change? I will still likely get one when you decide a price. (I have cores, remember?)
scottb
i'm still interested.....

also in need of a donor 911 gauge if anyone has one just lying about waiting to be bought..... IPB Image
Root_Werks
Put me down for a late one (No silver button). IPB Image
azbill
I'll good for one with a silver button.

Azbill
jtf914
Still interested in one with the silver button.

Thanks IPB Image
markb
I'm in for one with the silver button. Can you take a pic of this new gauge? The PP pic is nice, but doesn't show me what you're actually selling.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (markb @ Jan 28 2005, 06:24 AM)
I'm in for one with the silver button. Can you take a pic of this new gauge? The PP pic is nice, but doesn't show me what you're actually selling.

The kit should include instructions and just the face plate (Shown in Aaron's avitar) and a backing plate. That's it. 3 years ago, this kit was $100, so even if Aaron can keep it at or around $150, it is still a screaming deal. If it is like the ones before, you will need:

911 combo gauge
2 part epoxy
Dremel tool

You basically take the 911 combo gauge and 914 fuel gauge completely appart. From there, you put together one 904 gauge. Somewhere at home I have lots of pictures of the last one I put together almost 3 years ago. It is one of those projects you can do while watching a movie or something. Nothing hard, but takes some time to look good. If I find pics, I will post them.
scotty b
One silver button for me. Now to find an old lady to mug IPB Image
azbill
If you want to spend from $450 to $500 you can buy a complete gauge from Palo Alto or North Hollywood. Even at $150 plus the cost of a 911 gauge and your time this is a buy. Stop the sniffeling and step up to the plate if you want one.

Azbill
markb
I'm so excited about this, I already have the housing cut and the gauges ready to install. IPB Image Just waiting for the kit to finish it. IPB Image
maf914
What type senders are needed for oil temp and oil pressure? And where are these located on a T4 four cylinder?

Is the oil temp sender a special 911 piece?

Is the oil pressure sender the typical VDO dual sender used for warning light and gauge?

I'd like to get a kit if these issues can be worked out.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (markb @ Jan 28 2005, 07:14 AM)
I'm so excited about this, I already have the housing cut and the gauges ready to install. IPB Image Just waiting for the kit to finish it. IPB Image

IPB Image Me too! I have everything lined up!

Hey Aaron?

Are you done yet?
Are you done yet?
Are you done yet?
Are you done yet?
Are you done yet?
Are you done yet?
Are you done yet?
IPB Image
Root_Werks
QUOTE (maf914 @ Jan 28 2005, 07:31 AM)
What type senders are needed for oil temp and oil pressure? And where are these located on a T4 four cylinder?

Is the oil temp sender a special 911 piece?

Is the oil pressure sender the typical VDO dual sender used for warning light and gauge?

I'd like to get a kit if these issues can be worked out.

Yep, just use the dual sender unit.

Oh man, it has been so long since I have worked on the 4's. I believe the temp sender is located on the bottom of the engine screwed into a smaller black cirlcle plate on the corner of the oil sump? I think anyway? If you don't have a temp sender, you will have to buy one. Otherwise, I think the one that is in there will work fine. IPB Image
markb
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 28 2005, 07:48 AM)
I believe the temp sender is located on the bottom of the engine screwed into a smaller black cirlcle plate on the corner of the oil sump?

Yup, you need a "taco plate" for the sender, too.

Just don't do what I did once before, make sure the gauge you use is still working, and make sure you can get a sender for it. I found a really nice gauge, but North Hollywood couldn't get a sender for it. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
the non console equipped cars had an indash temp unit. these run off the same sender as the tcoplate console sender.

the pressure gauge runs off the dual sender from VDO.
John
I posted this in the other thread, but since this is the "official thread", I thought I would re-post my offering.

For those that don't want to perform the surgery involved with assembling these kits, but would want one of these cool tripple gauges, I am offering to assemble the kit (using components supplied by you) for a small fee or trade of parts. The components required are:

1. The kit
2. 914 "combo" Fuel Gauge
3. 911 "combo" Temp/Pressure Gauge

The kits are not overly difficult to assemble, but they take time and patience to look nice.

I have not done the re-screening of the temp and pressure gauge faces (as shown in the Pelican Parts pic above), but may attempt it as I have a few ideas on how to economically do this.

PM or Email me for details.

John
KaptKaos
In the "official" thread, I'd like a silver button please.

Also, I need a 911 combo gauge too. Any particular year 911 gauge I should look for?

Thanks,
Joe
Dr Evil
Stop the sniffeling and step up to the plate if you want one.

Damn, whats up with the attitude? I was just asking what the change in pricing was all about. I wasn't "sniffeling" nor do I appreciate the accusation. If I posted that something would be one price and then posted that I would have to raise that price 50%, I would give a reason out of courtesy. I am sure that the price they decide on will be fair. I was just wondering about what caused the price change.
914forme
Since I wrote the original post (Not Aaron) with pricing it was an estimate of where I was shotting for. But I asked if somebody wanted to take this project over, it is not a good time for me to do these. Aaron steps up to the plate and builds a kit that people wanted - BTW the Bird sold them at $150 4-5 years ago. Aaron's cost of living and manufacturing is higher in California, than I being in Ohio. The point is Aaron needs to make his $1 for doing these - trust me he will not retire rich from doing these, it just does not happen.

Aaron rock on
IPB Image

And thank you for pulling these together when I could not.

Heir Dr. Sorry if the posts got confusing, but life changes and things come up. Aaron is now the supplier and I am a a simple customer just like you. He sets the prices and I am sure he is not trying to gouge anyone.
vortrex
QUOTE (914forme @ Jan 28 2005, 11:25 AM)
BTW the Bird sold them at $150 4-5 years ago.

they were $80 I believe, I bought one.
Aaron Cox
the machining place is giving me the fiinal prices today.

cost is laser cutting (2 programs) , powderocating, and silkscreening.
that price is what i was shooting for (dr evil) -

sit tight. IPB Image
dinomium
HA You tried to hide this over here, huh? Well I FOUND IT ANYWAYS!
Gimmie
Silver button bonnie bully broing bong baladardash fignaughterly!

IPB Image
Thanks for doing this A...
plas76targa
Aaron, as in the original post... count me in too. Silver button please. IPB Image
and thanks for going forward with this project.
Now, to get the 911 gauges and appropriate senders!

TIA,
Dr Evil
914forme, thanks for the info. I was just curious, nothing else. I too make things for people and wonder what things cause prices to fluctuate. Considering that the aluminum bezels are $150 for a set, $150 for this kit is still a deal, no doubt. Thanks for stepping up on this Aaron. I would like one with the button hole, please IPB Image
anderssj
Hi Aaron,

Count me (back) in as in the original post...

One with a silver center button please.

Thanks again for taking on this project.

Best,

Steve A-
ChrisReale
im in, silver button
redshift
I am in for 200 free ones.

Late

M
type47fan
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jan 28 2005, 08:22 AM)
I have not done the re-screening of the temp and pressure gauge faces (as shown in the Pelican Parts pic above), but may attempt it as I have a few ideas on how to economically do this.

I bought the last kit from PP a few years ago and have artwork for the reorientation of the combo gauge faces. I will gladly donate a copy to you for the project. This is a greatly needed detail that the kit lacks and most don't realize its importance at first glimpse.

Aaron: How many kits are being made in this first lot (x, 25, y, 50, z)?
Aaron Cox
It appears we have the first 25 basically sold. How many more can i actually sell? is there market enough for 50???

IPB Image
type47fan
Aaron,
Excellently quick response! IPB Image
markb
QUOTE (type47fan @ Jan 28 2005, 07:49 PM)

I bought the last kit from PP a few years ago and have artwork for the reorientation of the combo gauge faces. I will gladly donate a copy to you for the project. This is a greatly needed detail that the kit lacks and most don't realize its importance at first glimpse.

Fantastic! IPB Image I didn't know how I was going to manage that. Good thinking!

BTW: In case I haven't mentioned it, Thanks Aaron for doing this. IPB Image
campbellcj
I'm in for an early style kit. Please keep us posted w/ details.
StratPlayer
Count me in on a late model kit......cool
Carrera916
Yo Aaron,

One early and one late for me please...

thanks for doing this! you rock! IPB Image
maf914
Aaron,

I'll take one late model kit, no center button.

Thanks for doing this.
agrump
I'm in for one with a silver button
IronHillRestorations
I'm good for one of each.
Korijo
1 early, please. IPB Image
d914
one silver dot
Steve
I'm in for a late model one.
Where and how much is the tool to remove the bezel ring??
scottb
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
TravisNeff
I am in for a silver dot!
Aaron Cox
ok... still waiting on the total cost....

bump for exposure wink.gif
914-4-2
Add me to the list may want 2. Thanks for your hard work.
markb
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.