Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's talk: Making 914world swag
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ablesnead
my bad ! I guess 914 world printed on them was probably a typo .
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Oct 13 2014, 07:48 PM) *

Your bad indeed.
914 Swag is sanctioned by the admins. This wasn't. Ergo, its not 914World stuff. Hence the reason we have asked for them to stop being made.
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 10 2014, 08:01 AM) *

agree.gif

Ditto !
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 13 2014, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 10 2014, 08:01 AM) *

agree.gif

Ditto !

agree.gif agree.gif

To said ditto.

For anyone newer who is lost reading this... A lot of us are just having fun, except for Mike.
dw914six
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 13 2014, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Oct 13 2014, 07:48 PM) *

Your bad indeed.
914 Swag is sanctioned by the admins. This wasn't. Ergo, its not 914World stuff. Hence the reason we have asked for them to stop being made.

I personally don't care, but I don't see confusion over the rules, simply whether it was approved.

Unless there is particular enjoyment in this, just verify whether Andy approved, since this is said to be his site and approval seems to be at the heart of this pissing contest.
Mike Bellis
Oh, I'm having fun... evilgrin.gif

I'm just market testing my latest grope by's

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
I am in for a chicken and wand thinghy.

Maybe two for the holidays ... biggrin.gif

John
ripper911
I'll take one of the sphincter stretchers, depending on the actual size of the finished product.
914outlaw
That sucks. I wanted a sticker and a t shirt too.
ThePaintedMan
I thought it only right to get vinyl printed of the 914 World logo, as well as many of our awesome vendors to put on the Chumpcar - we never would have made it to the track without all of you guys. I didn't change any of the logos at all other than make them b/w monochromatic. I asked each one of them personally, so I hope that was okay confused24.gif
I might be wrong but, it seems to me majority of this tread is targeted towards some of the newer members ( look at the date joined ). Most have no knowledge of the club when "Brad " was here trying to initiate some fee based membership / advertising.
For the new folks wondering what I'm referring too..please use the search function.
I surf this website way before the 914 became so popular - thus it's normal to have a lot of new members here 1) posting, calling out members for posting their comments 2) not knowing or maybe they already knew to have a link to their own 914 website.
Ok..my .02cents piratenanner.gif
Ps..for those that dislike my posting, email the admins and voice your concerns again piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
Here is the short version:

- 7TPorsh asks if he can make 914World stickers
- I ask the other admins, we agree and ask him to send us a mockup of the design for approval
- His design uses the old logo with the Porsche font, we ask him to use the new logo instead and make the rest of the font a bit more readable
- He goes ahead and sets up an online store called "914World" which none of us knew he was going to do
- We told him to not use the board name for his personal store
- He never changed the logo to the newer one
- He never changed the rest of the font to be more readable
- At this point we're all scratching our heads but decide that having some stickers is a good idea and we'll let it slide
- A few weeks go by ...
- We are made aware of the fact that he now sells all sorts of 914World swag in his store besides the stickers, none of which was ever communicated to us
- We're all back to scratching our heads ...
- Rusty posts this thread
- The 914World collective membership transforms overnight into internet experts on the subject of stickers

cheer.gif
rick 918-S
I have no dog in this hunt but there seems to some kind of weird thing going on here. I wonder if you went to Pelican or Club or maybe Rennlist and started running a swag business with their stuff on their site if they would ok. It has nothing to do with making a profit and everything to do with infringing on property of others. Andy and McMark made world stickers once. If you want one I bet Andy and Mark would make another run.

If Andy wanted to give the ok for one item that's his business. But why in the "world" would you think that would give a person free license to start a swag business under the pretense that "this is for you guys!"

Two admins stated here it's not ok. Now can we just accept it and find something nice to talk about? This has been said before. This is not a democracy. What the admins say goes.
messix
and that is the whole story.,.....

slap.gif
McMark
Mostly it's just those pesky admins oppressing everyone as usual. I don't know why I hang out here under their censorship and restrictions. I can't BREATHE! rolleyes.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 13 2014, 09:49 PM) *

Mostly it's just those pesky admins oppressing everyone as usual. I don't know why I hang out here under their censorship and restrictions. I can't BREATHE! rolleyes.gif

agree.gif , when's their term up.......is it reelection time. lol-2.gif
CptTripps
I have a 914club hat that I don't wear anymore. Free if anyone wants it.

(I'm keeping my keychain though!)
7TPorsh
wow i am away for the weekend and the peanut gallery arrived.

I did ask, I did change the font....yada yada. Oh and I added a store to make it easier for members to buy...so I wouldn;t have to do a group buy on stuff which is a big hassle. Which made it possibe to add different products.

Also why is adding a t shirt and a coffee mug so outrageous; same design. Here quote from the numerous PMs:

"It's your site (I am guessing) and ultimately I respect that. I am/was planning on having a master design available in different size stickers, coffee mugs, and t shirts/hoodies.

If you want me to cease and desist; I will. If I can continue; what restrictions do I have?"
[color=#000099]

Honestly I am the one scratching my head because I don't undrstand what the big deal is. Because nobody said NO outright.

But it's cool. I will stop...already did. Again my problem is the way it's handled. Nobody said stop. Instead I get locked and threatened.

I have been around here for 8 years and am not a newbie. I respect the site and it's members and asked for permission the whole way through.

Rusty, my suggestion is that if you are an admin, then just moderate the forum. In my mind you stepped way over the line. There are ways to do things and ways to say things.

Andy, I really thought it was all ok but if it was a problem I would have like to have heard it from you directly. And if you said "Stop, please don't"; we wouldn't be here now. If it is your site then take ownership and do your own "clean up". Rusty shouldn't be speaking for you.

Mike, ....dude, grow up!

ThePaintedMan
Andy entrusts certain folks with the authority to look out for his (and collectively all of our) best interests. That's what Rusty, Zach, McMark, etc. are - moderators.

Speaking of taking ownership, how bout simply admitting your own mistakes, asking for forgiveness and moving on? The more excuses that you make or explanations that you give, the further in the hole you go.

You seem like a nice guy and have good intentions, but I think this debate has already been decided, so it's probably better for all of us to move on. Now everyone should have a refresher on the policy.

I'm not much for locking threads, but in this case it might not be a bad idea.
7TPorsh
It's fine, I'm moving on. I seem to be on the wrong side of the fence as usual. Apology...of course, here you go.

I AM SORRY. What was I thinking. I am so ashamed. Gag me with a spoon.
StratPlayer
Thanks for making such a quality shirt,,,
rhodyguy
prob time to put this thread to bed. no purpose any longer.
stugray
Mostly it's just those pesky admins oppressing everyone as usual.

How do you know ee's an Admin?
He hasnt got Shit ALL over him!
HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4ufIrMtXg
Larmo63
Derp.Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Oct 14 2014, 09:41 AM) *

Thanks for making such a quality shirt,,,

Thanks, Stratplayer.

Here is what I play:
Click to view attachment
AndyB
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 10 2014, 12:41 PM) *

Rusty, I have already taken out the store. As I said I don't want to piss off anyone especially Andy. Don't think I have...doesn't matter at this point.

I am aware of the policy, that's why I got approval. Nobody asked me to take it down; it's been up 2 months now. That's my problem. Nobody ASKED me to take it down or stop. Instead I go online to find out I am locked out and getting threatened with legal action?

So yeah Rusty, passive aggressive? no, just a bit pissed and slightly defensive. I see a different version of your friendly reminder.

....damage done...

Let me pretend to be surprised on this one. I remember when the mouse pad was offered i snagged one because it was a great deal. So whats next removing vendors? Or even better the classifieds. Good thing the world site isnt called 914 world or anything WTF.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Oct 14 2014, 02:59 PM) *

Let me pretend to be surprised on this one. I remember when the mouse pad was offered i snagged one because it was a great deal. So whats next removing vendors? Or even better the classifieds. Good thing the world site isnt called 914 world or anything WTF.gif

If you want to make something for yourself, go for it.

Want to use the 914World Logo on a shirt you are making to fund your event? Just let us know. I don't think we have ever denied logo use for this - just want to make sure its a high quality product.

Want to start a for-profit store selling 914World stuff? Yeah, the bar is getting raised on that.

We get wanting to offer stuff to members, and we think its awesome that folks want to do it. But we also need to make sure the stuff we are giving license to be made and sold (which we don't see a dime of, and are not asking to) is a high quality product.

Zach
wndsnd
Click to view attachment

Probably more valuable than my car now.. idea.gif

biggrin.gif

John
AndyB
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 14 2014, 04:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif

John

Dont let them se that mug John.
rhodyguy
So...something like "world914, not 914world" on a tee or hat would be too close? Plan would be shoddy silk screening and the cheapest, most prone to shrinking tees with crappy collars available. Lmn.

K
7TPorsh
Yes, good products, good prices. Profit won't even fill that cup with Starbucks dark roast.

This all just means that I can't offer 914World referenced stuff. Again, fine. Why publicize the site? Why let people know? So I again am sorry I did such an offensive action.

So soon I will be offering non 914World referenced "SWAG". Look for the new 914 SWAG store. Thanks for the name Rusty. biggrin.gif

Coming soon.....or some derivative.
Click to view attachment

76-914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 14 2014, 01:58 PM) *

Yes, good products, good prices. Profit won't even fill that cup with Starbucks dark roast.

This all just means that I can't offer 914World referenced stuff. Again, fine. Why publicize the site? Why let people know? So I again am sorry I did such an offensive action.

So soon I will be offering non 914World referenced "SWAG". Look for the new 914 SWAG store. Thanks for the name Rusty. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

I like that design. Clean, unencumbered and not overstated; just like the 914 itself.
sb914
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 14 2014, 01:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif

John

Wanna sell that mug
wndsnd
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 14 2014, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 14 2014, 01:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif

John

Wanna sell that mug

Maybe stirthepot.gif
Cuda911
Got the mug in silver? Can you add "914-Universe" to the bottom?
timothy_nd28
There seems to be a demand for 914world t-shirts, trinkets and such. Perhaps the admins type folks should take care of all the grunt work, and offer said items for sale and have all the profits going Andy.

Time for you moderators to start pulling your own weight and contribute as much as our Fuhrer Andy does whip[1].gif
Big Len
I bought several items from Gary and thought the clothing was high quality and good design. But really, it wouldn't have mattered if "914 WORLD" was on the item or not. Actually if you sell beyond our site, he may sell more without the "WORLD" reference. Seems a shame to have such infighting when we're talking about miniscule profits. After all, its not the Porsche logo we're talking about here. But, whatever.
Rusty
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 14 2014, 02:58 PM) *

You're welcome. Glad you found something to do besides piss and moan. w00t.gif
dw914six
QUOTE(Rusty @ Oct 14 2014, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 14 2014, 02:58 PM) *

You're welcome. Glad you found something to do besides piss and moan. w00t.gif

I will put in my 2 cents again....this is something most agree on. Lets stick to the real topic and not the politics. Swag is a difficult business, especially when you do fulfillment. I have a company that does a lot of this, millions each year and fulfillment is our toughest solution to deliver. There is zero chance I would approve this kind of venture to one of my reps....too many risks and downside. It almost requires an attitude of "non profit charity" to justify one of these programs. Something you feel good doing. So, their really is no financial win as a rule.

On the Admins point, they must protect their brand. For the guy trying to do this, you must respect the legal and emotional responsibilities the Admins have relative to the brand. So you cannot expect anything other than very strict and narrow useage of the brand. If you can't live with that, move on.

My advice, create a swag or promotional task force to decide if swag is needed. Them bid out the process and see if a program could be run and the World earns a little to help run the site. Members get good products in line with branding rules.

Everyone wins. sunglasses.gif

Rusty
QUOTE(dw914six @ Oct 14 2014, 05:36 PM) *

I will put in my 2 cents again....this is something most agree on. Lets stick to the real topic and not the politics. Swag is a difficult business, especially when you do fulfillment. I have a company that does a lot of this, millions each year and fulfillment is our toughest solution to deliver. There is zero chance I would approve this kind of venture to one of my reps....too many risks and downside. It almost requires an attitude of "non profit charity" to justify one of these programs. Something you feel good doing. So, their really is no financial win as a rule.

On the Admins point, they must protect their brand. For the guy trying to do this, you must respect the legal and emotional responsibilities the Admins have relative to the brand. So you cannot expect anything other than very strict and narrow useage of the brand. If you can't live with that, move on.

My advice, create a swag or promotional task force to decide if swag is needed. Them bid out the process and see if a program could be run and the World earns a little to help run the site. Members get good products in line with branding rules.

Everyone wins... except Andy. We've hopped down this bunny trail before.

You see, selling stuff as a website means taxes and accounting: expenses, inventory, cost of good sold, profits, etc. Andy isn't in a retail business. If that's not run through his computer company, then it needs to show up on someone's personal tax return. Even if Andy just licenses the name to someone, it's another tax issue.

Either way, that potentially means an accountant or additional hours from the guy. That's another bill.

The system we have right now has worked for a very long time. Small batches, made by members for other members. beerchug.gif
dw914six
QUOTE(Rusty @ Oct 14 2014, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914six @ Oct 14 2014, 05:36 PM) *

Everyone wins... except Andy. We've hopped down this bunny trail before.

You see, selling stuff as a website means taxes and accounting: expenses, inventory, cost of good sold, profits, etc. Andy isn't in a retail business. If that's not run through his computer company, then it needs to show up on someone's personal tax return. Even if Andy just licenses the name to someone, it's another tax issue.

Either way, that potentially means an accountant or additional hours from the guy. That's another bill.

The system we have right now has worked for a very long time. Small batches, made by members for other members. beerchug.gif

A plan is a good thing. Stick with it if it works. On the profit/Andy topic, it wouldn't be difficult. The Company who runs it simply agrees to pay a licensing fee. Andy in turn claims the income and pays the tax, hopefully considerably less than he receives, but with government taxes, you never know. Should not be too time consuming, but I'm not him.

I vote for simple. Keep it as you have it.
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
DBCooper
So there's a consensus in there somewhere. From World's side don't use their logo/name, etc. unless you get specific permission, in writing. From 7T's side you're a vendor like other vendors, so follow those rules, don't base things on World (I hear Club's available?) and go for it. Is that about it?

Simple? Fair? Clear? Good, done, group hugs and then back to regularly scheduled programming.
r_towle
I think that if anyone is even considering making anything, it needs to be clearly 70's vintage styling that should be presented before an independent design review board hosted in the sandbox.

If they somehow, miraculously manage to pass that design review process, there should be a random lottery to determine who will be allowed to submit one, yes one idea per quarter to the admins.

The design review board will of course have a set of rules and regulations that , keeping in the spirit of the sandbox, can be changed at anytime, with no recourse.

ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 14 2014, 08:35 PM) *

I think that if anyone is even considering making anything, it needs to be clearly 70's vintage styling that should be presented before an independent design review board hosted in the sandbox.

If they somehow, miraculously manage to pass that design review process, there should be a random lottery to determine who will be allowed to submit one, yes one idea per quarter to the admins.

The design review board will of course have a set of rules and regulations that , keeping in the spirit of the sandbox, can be changed at anytime, with no recourse.

I second the motion - keeping in mind that anything that is designed/considered/reviewed by the Sandbox involves hooters. chowtime.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 13 2014, 10:02 PM) *

Oh, I'm having fun... evilgrin.gif

I'm just market testing my latest grope by's

Click to view attachment

Jeez, can I just please get a fuchin' rubber chicken?
altitude411

Jeez, can I just please get a fuchin' rubber chicken?

Here you go, now sit down and shut up, the grown ups are talking...

Click to view attachment

Black22
Wow! I don't hang out here much since the last BS blowout thread I read and contributed to here about someone asking the whereabouts of Mikey914. More of the same...what a shame. sad.gif

Kent, I love your attitude and am in total agreement with your viewpoint on this subject. I miss hanging with you and the rest of the SoCal crew. I too contributed to the hat passing for Andy, (that allegedly never happend).

Elliot, you're always a riot and have a great attitude! Can you fly us around this shit storm? lol-2.gif

McMark, I can't tell if your comments are serious or not, but that's one of your best attributes. Oh, and your car building skills, contribution to our community. Ok enough ass kissing.

This kind of crap makes me want to sell my teener and be done here, if this is the best site for our cars. confused24.gif

We're supposed to be a group of car...nay...exceptional car (914) lovers. This kind of crap drives me insane! dry.gif

Another thing that drives me crazy is what some of the Admins have posted, now and in the past. I think they should be an example of what this site stands for. Maybe I'm too idealistic in that regard, but I think they should portray the comradery we all exhibit when we get together at our events. Not so with some of them. I'm not even sure how or why they hold these positions. Did we vote? Did they volunteer? BTW, I know why Andy has his job. aktion035.gif

Whatever the case I am speaking of one individual directly. Vacca Ribite, what is up your ass sometimes? You come off as a hard on. Or dare I say a dick! You don't seem to have a problem throwing that term around towards others here, on a different thread mind you, so I'm sure you won't be offended. If you can't be respectful of others on this site, give up your admin position and join the general population. You don't represent me.

In regards to the subject of this thread. I've have purchased "World" merchandise in the past from other members here that didn't receive anything other than our money and a pat on the back for their contributions. Why is this any different?

Rusty, you're member #6? I know I've got a number that's quite a bit larger than yours, but I've never heard of you...thanks for contributing. WTF.gif

IBTL or BILO
SirAndy
QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 14 2014, 09:02 PM) *
I too contributed to the hat passing for Andy, (that allegedly never happend).

Who said that never happened? What did i miss?
confused24.gif

Btw., those monies went 99% into keeping this site running and 1% whiskey ...
Steve
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 14 2014, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 14 2014, 09:02 PM) *
I too contributed to the hat passing for Andy, (that allegedly never happend).

Who said that never happened? What did i miss?
confused24.gif

Btw., those monies went 99% into keeping this site running and 1% whiskey ...

1% whiskey... I was hoping my contribution went to a much needed vacation for you instead of fighting the evil hackers from this site, but we all do appreciate what you do to keep this site up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.