Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plaid insert seat materials or kits available as a 4 pcs kit fully sewn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
69telecaster
I was wondering how best to replace the faded and ripped red plaid in the '76. This is way cool.
However, I thought I knew that there is a difference between seat cushions, early vs. late. Is this true? And which do these kits fit?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Oct 30 2014, 08:09 AM) *

I was wondering how best to replace the faded and ripped red plaid in the '76. This is way cool.
However, I thought I knew that there is a difference between seat cushions, early vs. late. Is this true? And which do these kits fit?

i have late seats and did not think to ask this, but it brings up another question as i was looking at another members newly done seats. will you supply the matching vinyl piece that covers the bottom front base that is under the bottom seat cushion? my seats were tan originally(i am changing to black) and nothing is salvagable so i am going to need everything- btw i will take the new foam that you have acquired and priced out. i've already paid for the rest of it but need to pay you then for the bottom pad foam now too.

Phil
Briby37
Hi Mark,

I'd be interested in a complete set of #81. Can you let me know what would be needed to proceed? Thanks!

Mikey914
QUOTE(69telecaster @ Oct 30 2014, 05:09 AM) *

The only variations I've seen don't necessarily affect the plaid.

The early seats have a fixed passenger back with a base that bolts down (not a bucket style seat).

There was variation on the vinyl designs, - brick mold vs basket weave.

To answer the question on the replacement of the plaid inserts, that's why I set this up. There is the option for you to sew, or have sewn the material only, or for us to provide you a "kit" that is pre sewn. The kit will require some skill level to install, on a scale of 1-10 probably a 5 to make it look perfect. If you are planning to do it I'd recommend reviewing the site on seat rebuilds done here. There are many people that don't have a lot of experience that have done very well, it basically is a matter of how comfortable you are with it.
Perhaps locating a spare set to disassemble. That would give you a good idea if you are ready. If not, any upholstery shop, should be able to install these.

Hope this helps
Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 30 2014, 06:38 AM) *

QUOTE(69telecaster @ Oct 30 2014, 08:09 AM) *

i have late seats and did not think to ask this, but it brings up another question as i was looking at another members newly done seats. will you supply the matching vinyl piece that covers the bottom front base that is under the bottom seat cushion? my seats were tan originally and nothing is salvagable so i am going to need everything- btw i will take the new foam that you have acquired and priced out. i've already paid for the rest of it but need to pay you then for the bottom pad foam now too.

Phil

Phil,
As part of the plaid kit we have only set up the cushions and backs, but with the sides in tan I will need to match. Can you send me a sample?
-Mark

bigkensteele
For those that are on the fence, I have received Mark's first kit, and they are absolutely beautiful. As in far nicer than I could have hoped for.

I may be wrong, but I believe his upholsterer v-notched the foam for the pleats, so they are very crisp and dead-nuts straight. He went to great lengths to insure that the pattern is centered and that the back would line up correctly with the bottom. He even took into account how the pattern would align with the pleats.

They vinyl grain seems to be very close to the original, but obvious 40 year old vinyl is going to show its age to some degree, so it is a little difficult to compare.

As some of you may know, I have been on a quest to restore my plaid interior for several years, and this kit is the bomb. Mark and I spent a lot of time on the phone the last couple of weeks discussing the kits, and I can tell you that he has spent a lot of time and money getting these right. Well, he nailed it. The quality is what we have come to expect from all of Mark's products. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Will post some pix when I get one recovered, hopefully this weekend!
rmdinmd
Hi Mark;
looked on the web site and was hoping to get the swatch card you had mentioned but didn't see it. would like to get a sample of the actual colors, as the photos of the swatches and the cloth appears to be a little different. I imagine it is because of the difference in lighting on them.

bigkensteele
Tease alert!

Some pics of the prototypes.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Sorry that I can't post completed pics yet. Mark and I have been working together to dial these in to perfection, and that takes time. As it turns out, the construction of the vinyl vs. plaid seats was a bit different, and we are working through that. I have a set of original plaid seats that had been recovered to a pretty high level of craftsmanship, but with the wrong material (as it was not available). I have sent Mark one of my cushions to be reverse engineered, and I am working with him on the fitment of all of the pieces. I can say with certainty that the quality of Mark's materials, and the skill of his constructor are top-notch.

I can report that the back/bolster that he has created is fantastic. I got the first one on last night, and it might need a little heat gun in a couple of spots, but the fit is excellent. Much thanks to Turk22 and his excellent thread on recovering seats:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=198686
(note the 8th photo in post 2 - the relief cuts are absolutely necessary)

The center insert is great too. The headrest vinyl slipped over like a glove and again probably won't need much more than a couple passes with a heat gun. I have a couple of other points of feedback that will make it fit better.

The first round of cushion covers were patterned from vinyl pieces, and they didn't quite work out. Mark is working on that now.

Bottom line, when this kit becomes available to the masses, it will be absolutely first-rate, and I have really enjoyed working with Mark to get this right. And trust me, he doesn't want to sell it if it isn't right.

More to come...

stevegm
These look great. I have to ask for a red set for Christmas.
stevegm
Still open until December 10th, right? I need a full set of the 47 color for my '72. My wife says it is a Christmas present. Woo hoo.
pisces914
hey mark - sorry i'm not that stupid , but i can't figure all of this out - i want to buy no 45 bright red for one seat, with as much prefab as possible - i may very well buy another no 45 bright red, same set-up for the other seat as a spare - just let me know how much and how to complete transaction asap (paypal?) - this is for my '76 with the no 45 options (driver's seat worn through - passenger seat in great condition though) - thanks so much for doing this - brad in seattle - interweb4@comcast.net

Mikey914
I have the 1st grouping shipping out Tue. The black/Gray is finally complete and I will have these shipped out so you can get those out in about 8 more days.

JB620
Hey Mark,

I'm in for a set of #42. I've wanted to do this for years, had pretty much given up hope- thank you! How much extra for the bolsters and how do I pay?
moldygreg
Hi Mark

One order for whole 4 piece set ski blue.

Thanks
Too cool to pass up!

Greg
Mikey914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 30 2014, 07:10 AM) *

Still open until December 10th, right? I need a full set of the 47 color for my '72. My wife says it is a Christmas present. Woo hoo.

Yep, today they are still on GB.
-Mark
stevegm
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 10 2014, 01:20 PM) *

-Mark

Thanks. I will take a full set of - #47. Does the $361 including shipping? Just send paypal?

I think John Forbes (Black Forest Racing) needed a set as well. I hope to see him this afternoon, and will mention it to him.
Mikey914
QUOTE(JB620 @ Dec 9 2014, 03:47 PM) *

Hey Mark,

I'm in for a set of #42. I've wanted to do this for years, had pretty much given up hope- thank you! How much extra for the bolsters and how do I pay?

I have them set up here. This allows my assistant to process while I'm out making the process faster.
-Mark

http://shop.914rubber.com/Plaid-material-K...er-set-PK-S.htm

Mikey914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 10 2014, 10:23 AM) *

-Mark

Thanks. I will take a full set of - #47. Does the $361 including shipping? Just send paypal?

I think John Forbes (Black Forest Racing) needed a set as well. I hope to see him this afternoon, and will mention it to him.

I have this set up on the site. For some reason the GB price wasn't working should be corrected now.
Sorry the price isn't with shipping, but it's about $20 via Fedex with tracking fully insurred.
stevegm
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 10 2014, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 10 2014, 10:23 AM) *

-Mark

I have this set up on the site. For some reason the GB price wasn't working should be corrected now.
Sorry the price isn't with shipping, but it's about $20 via Fedex with tracking fully insurred.

Just ordered the set. It has been a while since I was this excited to buy something for the 914. I think they are going to look great. Thanks for doing these.
Mikey914
Last call
Gary
Sent you an email yesterday for a black/grey set and some extra vinyl to cover the side bolsters on a pair of renegade hybrid touring seats. Thanks.
GregAmy
Just got my red plaid in today...fantastic. Seriously nice stuff. It will look absolutely brilliant in the Bahia Red '74.

Thanks Mark!
stevegm
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 11 2014, 09:42 PM) *

Just got my red plaid in today...fantastic. Seriously nice stuff. It will look absolutely brilliant in the Bahia Red '74.

Thanks Mark!

Which red did you get? I ordered - 47. Pictures?
pisces914
hey mark - email sent - please send invoice - thanks, brad
GregAmy
QUOTE(stevegm @ Dec 11 2014, 09:48 PM) *

Which red did you get? I ordered - 47. Pictures?

I'll let Mark answer that one, because I'm not sure. I originally ordered black/grey, but through some honest mistakes got red plaid. Mark* said "let me ship it to you, I think you'll like it or I'll take it back for a full refund" and he was right: it looks great with this car color so I'm keeping it.

No photos yet; seats and covers are loaded in the back of the GTI for delivery to a local upholstery shop (I chickened out and decided to let a pro do it). But as soon as it comes back I'll post some photos.

GA

* I've had nothing but positive interactions with this guy. I seriously can't say enough positives. I hope that someday - after we all have our cars all done, of course - the market for these cars goes vertical and he gets to sit back in the Bahamas, sipping Pina Coladas, enjoying all that profit from this clever venture.
Mikey914
It was burgundy red with red baseball stitching pretty sharp looking.
Mikey914
I like the stitching this was Greg's idea
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 11 2014, 10:44 PM) *

I like the stitching this was Greg's idea

Wow! That looks really cool!
Mikey914
The French stitch and red are an option, but look good.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 12 2014, 12:41 AM) *

That was supposed to be my set but the stitching option got crossed up with another order. I want the stock look but the red stitching looks really good. Glad you found a home for them. I knew you would. BTW: if the color looks that bright in person it is going to be a perfect fit in the Raspberry car. drooley.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 12 2014, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 12 2014, 12:41 AM) *

That was supposed to be my set but the stitching option got crossed up with another order. I want the stock look but the red stitching looks really good. Glad you found a home for them. I knew you would. BTW: if the color looks that bright in person it is going to be a perfect fit in the Raspberry car. drooley.gif

I am gong with the stock look stitching too. But, the red stitching does look cool. I agree that that is pretty bright. Looks great.
Mikey914
New items to go with these added I will contact all that have to ship as they are ready to see if you want. Those that have already got them let me know.

You can find these items here

Seat heater assembly
http://www.shop.914rubber.com/Seat-heater-...-914SH1-10A.htm

High density foam bases
http://www.shop.914rubber.com/Seat-base-hi...core-914SBF.htm
Mikey914
Just a heads up on these, those of you that got the Group buy got an exceptional value. I just gut my bill fro my upholstery guy and what he charged was per seat, not per set. I actually paid a good chunk more than what I charged. As I don't put much margin on these it but me a little.

To those of you that stepped up and bought on the GB, thank you and merry Christmas. My gift to you for being the 1st to step up.

The production is slower than I'd like, but we are truing them out. Got another 2 sets ready and will have one more Friday. My guy will be out til Jan 7 and will be doing these 1st when he returns.

The Black / gray will be ready this next week and we will have it staged and ready to go as soon as he returns. It sucks that it took so long to get it done, but the pattern was taking off the loom as they thought they were done. The set up to do these is a pain, but it's why we did them all.

So you will notice the new price for the sets has bumped up a little.
rick 918-S
I thought that was incredibly cheap. I think we will have to make it up to you over the coming year. I think this deal cost you more than a "bit". unsure.gif Thank you for sticking your neck out here. And Merry Christmas to you too!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 17 2014, 09:01 PM) *

I thought that was incredibly cheap. I think we will have to make it up to you over the coming year. I think this deal cost you more than a "bit". unsure.gif Thank you for sticking your neck out here. And Merry Christmas to you too!

agree.gif For those of you who haven't seen these in person yet, the materials and work are spectacular! I know that Mark won't ask, but I would gladly pay more to make it right. But since he won't ask, I will just keep buying from him whenever he comes out with a new product.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas Mark!
Mikey914
Thanks,
It was an error on my end. I just see it as giving back to those who helped make it happen. beerchug.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 18 2014, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 17 2014, 09:01 PM) *

agree.gif For those of you who haven't seen these in person yet, the materials and work are spectacular! I know that Mark won't ask, but I would gladly pay more to make it right. But since he won't ask, I will just keep buying from him whenever he comes out with a new product.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas Mark!

I agree. Mark shouldn't have to take a loss on account of our seats. I would be happy to make you whole on mine, Mark.
Mikey914
Thanks for the offer. Tell you what. Hold onto the cash and just put it towards the GB of your choice biggrin.gif

I have some good one coming up.
turk22
Class act Mark...

You will continue to get my business beerchug.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 18 2014, 04:27 PM) *

Thanks for the offer. Tell you what. Hold onto the cash and just put it towards the GB of your choice biggrin.gif

I have some good one coming up.

You got it. And I need some carpet. Will place an order soon.
steuspeed
Mark- Please post pics of the black and gray when you get it.
siverson
The green one doesn't really match or look good with Irish Green, does it?

I know it's not original for my car, but I have an idea for something else... But this almost looks like it would clash. barf.gif

-Steve
tweet
it looks good with this shade of green
Mikey914
I would think the black and gray would go with pretty much everything, of course that's the one that got messed up. Should have it in shortly, I was hoping before the holiday, but it may stretch out past. I'll keep you posted here.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(tweet @ Dec 18 2014, 11:18 PM) *

it looks good with this shade of green

agree.gif
GregAmy
Not fully installed as I've got some new seatbelts coming and the door cards and backpad being dyed (car had brown interior)...but damn! wink.gif

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
moldygreg
A very huge thanks to Mark who worked some magic to give my son the best Christmas Gift; Ski-Blue Tartan Plaid seats! It had been a long time since my wife and I worked as elves through the night to complete a project (which arrived just knick of time). Below are some pics of how great the Ski-Blue Tartan looks on a 1975 Laguna Blue teenr.

Mark has done a great service and even lost money on the first group buy. We'll be buying more and can't sing 914Rubber's praises enough. Thank you so much Mark and team!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
turk22
Very Nice!

smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
Perfect! drooley.gif
bcheney
Love those seats...especially love that big bumper car in such fine condition!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.