Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cross Country Drive - It's On!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
GeorgeRud
Sounds like a great adventure! Julie and I are taking the easy way into Amelia Island by simply flying into Jacksonville. Time is short, but have to go see the concours and attendant Amelia Island events.

Hope to see you there!
Eric_Shea
Looks like it's a go

LA
Vegas
Albuquerque
Dallas
New Orleans
Live Oak
Amelia Island

Pacific to Atlantic
TheCabinetmaker
15 years ago I took my 8 year old grandson on a trip to San Diego and back. We did all the tourist stuff along the way. Even saw all three of Billy the kids graves.lol.stops included Yuma prison, sea world, grand canyon, Vegas, meteor crater, painted desert, monument valley, lake havasau. We even saw a coyote chasing a road runner in the az dessert. I will admit that spending 4 weeks in a 914 with an 8 year old was quite challenging.
Bulldog9
Looks great, I am in Alexandria VA (basically between Richmond & Hershey) if you need anything
Steve Snyder
Eric,

We are staying in St. Mary's, GA for the Amelia Island Concours. This is apparently right next to Kingsland, so we should meet up when you arrive. beerchug.gif
saigon71
Sounds like an awesome trip!

I'm about 30 minutes south of Hershey. Let me know if you need anything on this leg of the journey, including free accommodations.

Shadowfax
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 17 2015, 10:02 PM) *

Looks like it's a go

LA
Vegas
Albuquerque
Dallas
New Orleans
Live Oak
Amelia Island

Pacific to Atlantic

I'm in between Dallas and NOLA if you need anything while you're in the area. Sounds like a fun trip. Enjoy!
balljoint
Oh yes, count on me if you need help and you're in the area.

Like directions back to your country.

Dumbass!!!

How did you get so far off course?

mad.gif
thieuster
IPB Image

You make me jalous with this sort of plans. To get my head around this distance, I took the map and plotted a 3200 mile trip from Amsterdam to... well, Perm, east of Moskow, north of Kazachstan! In short, not a trip I want to undertake here in Europe. Eastern from Germany, Poland start the no go areas for a man in a simple Porsche... Well in any car, for that matter...

You guys must be so glad and proud to be able to consider travelling that distance without borders, passports, customs.

Enjoy the trip and please post pictures!

Menno
Dave_Darling
One thing for our European brethren to realize: America is really BIG! It's easy to look on a map and say, "Oh yeah, I guess it's big." But when you start comparing distances and such to things you're familiar with, you get a real sense of "OMG that place is HUGE!"

It takes just about the same amount of time for a jet to cross the continental US as it does to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. That is seriously big!

...And, of course, Russia kind of dwarfs the US, unless you count Alaska and/or Hawaii. smile.gif

--DD
bandjoey
Be sure to put some dates on the stops when u can. Looks like a fun trip!
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 17 2015, 11:02 PM) *

Looks like it's a go

LA
Vegas
Albuquerque
Dallas
New Orleans
Live Oak
Amelia Island

Pacific to Atlantic

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Wow Eric, great plan. first.gif
I want to grow up to be just like you happy11.gif pray.gif rolleyes.gif
Tom
Madswede
Let me know when you plan to be in the ABQ! Sounds like a helluva journey! sunglasses.gif
Eric_Shea
Ummm Tom, I don't believe you will ever grow up. And that's a good thing. beerchug.gif

Important: this trip will fulfill a personal goal and will, more importantly, honor the Porsche 914. Moreover, the fact that the 914 is all grown up with its featured status at one of the worlds most prestigious automobile events.

I want to meet you and your 914 along the way. I want to document the adventure and... your adventure with your 914. If you're along the route, I'd like to hook up and talk 914 with you. Let's get this party started.

Here's the dates:

March 7th - Corona Del Mar Beach - Beach Party! From sea to shining sea send off. Stay tuned for details!
March 8th - Anaheim. SoCal all Porsche Swap and Car Show. Phoenix Club.
March 8th - Las Vegas, NV - Dinner
March 9th - Flagstaff, AZ - Lunch
March 9th - Albuquerque, NM - Dinner. Turtle Mountain? Jon, should I bring a guitar? biggrin.gif
March 10th - Amarillo, TX - Lunch
March 10th - Dallas, TX - Dinner
March 11th - Shreveport, LA - Lunch
March 11th - New Orleans, LA - Dinner
March 12th - Mobile, AL - Lunch
March 12th - Live Oak, FL - Dinner
March 13th - Jacksonville, FL - Lunch
March 13th - Amelia Island, FL - "We Made It" (hopefully) Party! Looking to do another Beach Party this afternoon/evending.
JStroud
What route are you taking from SLC to LA......if you go through Sacramento let me know.....I'll buy you dinner, beer, or lunch, beer. beer3.gif

So are you doing this trip alone, or do you have a passenger?

If I could take the time off it would be an awesome trip, my son lives in Albuquerque and my daughter lives between Dallas and Shreveport! Next year I'll drive to Texas and back again....should have the car back on the road by then.

Have fun Eric.....sounds like a great adventure. driving.gif

Jeff
Kansas 914
"March 9th - Albuquerque, NM - Dinner. Turtle Mountain? Jon, should I bring a guitar?"

I will try and drive down in the 914 from Durango on the 9th for Dinner.

Shadowfax
I'm in for lunch on the 11th in Shreveport. Hopefully the car is ready by then haha.
Lots of good places to eat in town.

Edit: My bad - meant to say lunch is on me.
scotty b
Don't forget to pack your Midol and defibrillator this time buddy. beerchug.gif
TJB/914
Hey Eric,

I would like to offer a donation of .5 cents per mile on your cross country trip for party time expenses with 914er's when you get there.

Accept Yes or No offer??
Hmmm, Let me see 2,000 miles @ .05 cents== $100bucks popcorn[1].gif
Anybody else in for a donation if Eric accepts????

Tom flag.gif beerchug.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 19 2015, 11:34 AM) *

Don't forget to pack your Midol and defibrillator this time buddy. beerchug.gif

Not to mention the extra strength Beano and Immodium.
bandjoey
Lucky you. Free Food at each stop. (If you play your cards right don't forget samples beer.gif )
Eric_Shea
Tom, I think I still have your credit card number! biggrin.gif

...and Scatty's and Dave's dry.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 19 2015, 08:11 PM) *

pfft good luck with that rolleyes.gif
Eric_Shea
Any recovering videographers want to ride shotgun? biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 19 2015, 09:15 PM) *

Says George? confused24.gif
scotty b
bring a trailer in tow. I've got a pile of clappers for you dry.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 19 2015, 08:24 PM) *

bring a trailer in tow. I've got a pile of clappers for you dry.gif

Are ya takin the trailer?
Eric_Shea
No... I may have it meet me in Hershey though. Weather over the Rockies can be quite challenging in April.

And... It's just a hunch but, I believe there's a ice age coming for the northeast and there might be a glacier in the parking lot at Hershey this year.
Rob-O
Aren't you an ex-Michigander like me? I'm in Dallas and could meet up with you in the DFW area. Dinner would work if you're still on schedule. Maybe a quick tour of Dealey Plaza (where JFK was assassinated)?
R8CERX
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 19 2015, 07:31 AM) *

Ummm Tom, I don't believe you will ever grow up. And that's a good thing. beerchug.gif

Important: this trip will fulfill a personal goal and will, more importantly, honor the Porsche 914. Moreover, the fact that the 914 is all grown up with its featured status at one of the worlds most prestigious automobile events.

I want to meet you and your 914 along the way. I want to document the adventure and... your adventure with your 914. If you're along the route, I'd like to hook up and talk 914 with you. Let's get this party started.

Here's the dates:

March 7th - Corona Del Mar Beach - Beach Party! From sea to shining sea send off. Stay tuned for details!
March 8th - Anaheim. SoCal all Porsche Swap and Car Show. Phoenix Club.
March 8th - Las Vegas, NV - Dinner
March 9th - Flagstaff, AZ - Lunch
March 9th - Albuquerque, NM - Dinner. Turtle Mountain? Jon, should I bring a guitar? biggrin.gif
March 10th - Amarillo, TX - Lunch
March 10th - Dallas, TX - Dinner
March 11th - Shreveport, LA - Lunch
March 11th - New Orleans, LA - Dinner
March 12th - Mobile, AL - Lunch
March 12th - Live Oak, FL - Dinner
March 13th - Jacksonville, FL - Lunch
March 13th - Amelia Island, FL - "We Made It" (hopefully) Party! Looking to do another Beach Party this afternoon/evending.

Nice trip!! piratenanner.gif

Curious; from Anaheim swap meet to make it to Vegas on same day, u will not spend much time at the swap meet..... If you intent to be in Vegas by dinner-- assuming 7 pm dinner or 8?? beer3.gif

How did you prep for the trip? The car.... driving.gif

Tempting to join you!! Not working now, some down time and if I can sell enough Girl Scout cookies, I may just be able to afford the trip....

Perhaps I should set up a "go-fund" account !!! type.gif

Any other cars joining you?
What is the plan for the trip back with car? idea.gif
R8CERX
Oh yes... We can always share the room...... confused24.gif

But nothing more..... grouphug.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 19 2015, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 19 2015, 09:15 PM) *

Says George? confused24.gif

Eric,
Beer money donation going out in today's mail.
Send us stay at home 914er's travel news at dinner stops along the way with 914 members. chowtime.gif
Travel safe driving.gif
Tom bye1.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 19 2015, 11:37 PM) *

No... I may have it meet me in Hershey though. Weather over the Rockies can be quite challenging in April.

And... It's just a hunch but, I believe there's a ice age coming for the northeast and there might be a glacier in the parking lot at Hershey this year.

Chilly today
IronHillRestorations
Cool trip, but your route is all wrong, you need to stay on I40 until Nashville biggrin.gif (spare room, cold beer, guitars, and 914 stuff here)
Eric_Shea
Hey Jeff, heading down to LA the direct route.

I plan on leaving the swap around 2-3:00 to get to Vegas by dinner. That's about the time things wind down.

I'll be leaving the car in Live Oak until mid April. Then I'll fly back out and drive it up to Hershey. Then back to SLC via somewhere in Tenessee perhaps! biggrin.gif
bulitt
So how was the trip?

laugh.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 19 2015, 08:31 AM) *

Hey that's perfect! I wouldn't normally be in Rio Rancho on a Monday, but that one I will be here. sunglasses.gif

And yes, bring a guitar. aktion035.gif If the weather is nice, the patio always allows spontaneous acoustic jam sessions. I'll let Nico and Liz know you're coming! And any others headed down to hang out would be cooler than cool too!
hot_shoe914
There's ribs in Tennessee. poke.gif
Eric_Shea
Looking to do East and West Coast "Beach Parties"!

I'm in need of a little assistance from any Jacksonville teeners in finding a beach location similar to the Cali location.

West Coast
When - March 7th
Where - Corona Del Mar Beach
Time - 5:00 - ?

East Coast
When - March 13th (or... could be later as people arrive)
Where - Jacksonville/Amelia Island?
Time - 5:00

Vegas dinner is shaping up to be the Hoffbrauhaus. I need to nail down the time as it will dictate when I need to leave Anaheim Sunday.

Albuquerque sounds like it's in stone, as well as Flagstaff lunch. Shreveport - We'll need to pick a spot. Dallas as well...

Anyone in J-Ville that can offer their local expertise, PM me.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 24 2015, 08:49 AM) *

I'm in need of a little assistance from any Jacksonville teeners in finding a beach location similar to the Cali location.

West Coast
When - March 7th

East Coast

Vegas dinner is shaping up to be the Hoffbrauhaus. I need to nail down the time as it will dictate when I need to leave Anaheim Sunday.

Albuquerque sounds like it's in stone, as well as Flagstaff lunch. Shreveport - We'll need to pick a spot. Dallas as well...

Is everyone invited to join on March 7 Corona Del Mar Beach? Is that 5am?

Thanks!
Rob-O
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 24 2015, 08:49 AM) *

West Coast
When - March 7th

East Coast

In Dallas there are a few good BBQ places. Lockhart Smoke House in the Bishop Arts district is always good. There is Pecan Lodge too. Really good stuff there but we'd have to check times. Both are just minutes away from Dealey Plaza, AKA the Sixth Floor School Book Depository and 'the Grassy Knoll'
Eric_Shea
The beach party is open to any and all. wink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I suppose this means the 914 guys won't show up until after 6:00 on a Saturday. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Word has it, we have a beach house in J-ville
cpavlenko
Sooooooo, where is lunch March 9 in Flagstaff. I'm at Chino Valley Az. Would b a good cruise for the 914. But it all depends on the weather. Would like to met u. beerchug.gif
Shadowfax
Here's a suggestion for Shreveport that is very near the I-20/I-49 interchange: Herby K's - should whet your appetite for New Orleans beerchug.gif
57lincolnman
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 26 2015, 10:01 PM) *

Hmmmm... idea.gif

The LA Lit and Toy Show, March 7th?
The SoCal All Porsche Swap and Car Show March 8th?
Amelia Island March 13th in Jacksonville, FL?

It seems to me that (with a slight detour to Las Vegas) the cities of Albuquerque, Dallas and Mobile might make up a nice romp across the country.

Thoughts? Ideas? I think it would be cool to drive a 914 from coast to coast. Especially being a featured mark at Amelia. It would be nice to document it. GoPro, Instagram, Blog??? Maybe a few gear head get togethers along the way?

Still thinking about it but... It's beyond intriguing for sure.

driving.gif beerchug.gif

`

I did this drive in the reverse direction. 13 states and nearly 10k behind the wheel of my '75 914 from Atlanta to Vancouver Island, British Columbia and then down the Pacific Coast Highway to LA. I drove across the top tier of the US on Route 2 through WI, MN, and ND. Then I dropped down to I-90 to make better time and find decent hotels. In Minot, I opened the rear trunk in a Hampton Inn parking lot and the wind tried to use it as a sail. It broke the welds on the passenger side hinge. I crossed the Rockies in the Idaho panhandle, climbed out of the Columbia River Gorge in the truck lane (not fun!) and crossed the Rockies again in the Cascades. It was all down hill into Seattle. From there I drove across the Canadian border into Vancouver and took the ferry over to Nanaimo, BC on Vancouver Island. I entered a vintage sports car rally there for three days with the 914. They call it the Rain Coast for a good reason! After a stop in Seattle for a valve adjustment, oil change, and getting the hinge re-welded I set off down the Pacific Coast through Oregon and into SF. In nearly 10k of driving, I had a windshield wiper that came loose, a fuel pump that crapped out (luckily I carried a spare with me), and a trailing arm bushing that went bad. A quick stop at Elephant Racing in San Mateo and I was back in on the road again with some suspension upgrades too. I called it "rolling improvements". Do it! You will have memories for a life time. The 914 is a great touring car and is actually comfortable on the long hauls. It even survived a hail storm in MT (every collector car owner's worst nightmare). You'll make lots of friends along the way.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Feb 24 2015, 08:46 PM) *

Sooooooo, where is lunch March 9 in Flagstaff. I'm at Chino Valley Az. Would b a good cruise for the 914. But it all depends on the weather. Would like to met u. beerchug.gif

How does the "Wildflower Bread Company" sound?

Aspen Place at the Sawmill
530 E. Picadilly Drive
Flagstaff 86001
928-233-5010

High Noon!
r_towle
I am jealous.
If I could I would, but I cannot this year....

Good luck, keep in touch.
If you need help in the middle of no where, give me a call.

Rich
Eric_Shea
Rich, I called last night. Forgot about the whole time zone thing... sorry, you didn't sound amuzed. sad.gif

Herby K's looks "Perfect"!! - Shreveport is in the books.

Any teeners in Amarillo?

Let's nail down a good local Dallas casual dinning spot and get some Dallas/Ft. Worth teeners out there.
bandjoey
The in place for cars music and food (as others have told me) is Gas Monkey Garage Bar and Grill in Dallas. Centrally located for east and west folks. Anyone here know how the food is?

http://www.gasmonkeygarage.com

http://gasmonkeybarngrill.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.