Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AKA- Wreck 2015 route 66- Fix is done! Picks page 12
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 22 2015, 10:38 AM) *

Packing a few of my favorite tools to ship to McMark tonight. smash.gif

Dangit, I thought that we were your favorite tools!!

--DD
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 22 2015, 06:00 PM) *

--DD

That's fools fool not tools. happy11.gif
JRust
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 22 2015, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 22 2015, 06:00 PM) *

--DD

That's fools fool not tools. happy11.gif

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed. I have played the fool more than once dry.gif
Mikey914
Did you get my bumper yet?
JRust
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 23 2015, 12:41 AM) *

Did you get my bumper yet?

I did Mark! Thank you bud pray.gif
76-914
Go Jamie, go. smilie_pokal.gif
JRust
Okay I think I have most of my parts. I've got some nice zinc plated strut top mounts on the way from Bruce. If they don't make it in time not a huge deal as I can use the ones I have. Just won't look as good. LOL! I've got a busy weekend ahead of me evilgrin.gif

Okay so on tools I am bringing misc hammers. Along with my harbor freight hammer/dolly set. My new HF Porta power. My grinder with different wheels & sandpaper. I know Ricks was bringing out some favorites as well as some other people. I know we needed a shrinking disc which I don't have but don't mind buying. So to those coming who have some of this stuff please feel free to bring it along if you have space.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 24 2015, 10:43 AM) *

Okay I think I have most of my parts. I've got some nice zinc plated strut top mounts on the way from Bruce. If they don't make it in time not a huge deal as I can use the ones I have. Just won't look as good. LOL! I've got a busy weekend ahead of me evilgrin.gif

Okay so on tools I am bringing misc hammers. Along with my harbor freight hammer/dolly set. My new HF Porta power. My grinder with different wheels & sandpaper. I know Ricks was bringing out some favorites as well as some other people. I know we needed a shrinking disc which I don't have but don't mind buying. So to those coming who have some of this stuff please feel free to bring it along if you have space.

I'll bring a torch and a stick of dynamite. happy11.gif
Andyrew
I'll bring my hands and opinions smile.gif

If Mark is bringing his hammers and shrinking disks and you have a HF hammer dolly set (Same one I use) and portapower, and grinders, it should be everything you need! I'll see if I Have a long metal rulers we can use as a straight edge. I thought I had one by my desk...
Andyrew
Got it!
rick 918-S
Just came from the UPS store. Box of tools heading for Original Customs. Delivery date is next Tuesday. Mark and I discussed Thursday night in the parking lot. smash.gif smash.gif
914_teener
Actually......some stiff hardboard or light sheet metal for a trace template isn't a bad idea. I sure Mark has some tracing board.

Jeez...sounds like you have some of the best hands and minds there Jaime....!

I.ll just watch...no opinions.
Andyrew
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 24 2015, 11:54 AM) *

Just came from the UPS store. Box of tools heading for Original Customs. Delivery date is next Tuesday. Mark and I discussed Thursday night in the parking lot. smash.gif smash.gif

Well shit you'll probably have it done by the time we arrive at ~ 1030...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 24 2015, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 24 2015, 11:54 AM) *

Well shit you'll probably have it done by the time we arrive at ~ 1030...

With all that is happening, wine tour, castle tour, Friday we are wondering when we can fit it in during daylight hours.

We are open to suggestions.
JRust
I picked up some synergy green paint today. Ordered a pint & had them put in the 3 aerosol cans. It's just single stage but just got it for a temporary. I forgot to grab primer at the same time. I'll pick some up though.

I also had my trailing arm arrive from Original Customs. Thanks Mark pray.gif

Suspension goes on in the morning smile.gif
Andyrew
We'll need some glaze and sandpaper if were going to actually spray smile.gif

I'll see if I have any left over from my dads paint job.
McMark
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 24 2015, 10:43 AM) *

I know we needed a shrinking disc which I don't have but don't mind buying.

Got this covered! piratenanner.gif
DRPHIL914
Awesome stuff! Hope someone there takes lots of pictures and video on the fix it date! Should be a sub - feature on the 914 experience video smile.gif
strawman
I live in SLO (about 50 miles from San Simeon). I plan to attend WCR, but to head home each evening (or sleep in my Eurovan if necessary!). You're welcome to use my driveway & garage for any work on your car -- I've got a big air compressor, shrinking disc, grinders, spray rig for primer, fridge for beer, etc. You're welcome to ship any specialty tools to my home if that makes it easier than lugging 'em to the Central Coast.
Geoff
wes
I plan to head down from Ukiah on Wednesday in my truck if you (or anyone) needs any thing brought from North Ca. or points between just say so as plenty of room!
shoguneagle
Where else could you find this kind of support for making repairs on the 'fly" and in a parking lot?

This thread is the "shining example" of why I belong to the 914 Group. The support, information, sharing, and concern for other members is truly reflected here. The skill of fellow members are reflected here and they are willing to share with other members.

Glad to see Jaime and his car are going to WCR after incurring "a major hickup" along the way. If there is a fighting chance, it appears members are not going to let a problem such as repairing a car in a parking lot hold them back. It does send shivers up and down my "old back".

Do not let Andyrew stand around, make him work! LOL!

Steve Hurt
JRust
Assembled my front struts. Unfortunately with my old struts as me new adjustables didn't come with the right gland nut. New struts use a different one as they are a little wider at the top than my old struts. Oh well they are ready to bolt in my car. Was going to today but had a mid day date with the wife that stretched about 3 hours longer than I planned. Came home with a headache so am just called it a night rather than going back out to the shop.

I also got the trailing arm installed (thanks Mark@Original Customs). Just need to install the front struts & bleed the brakes. I'll have that wrapped up tomorrow afternoon. Have an appt tuesday for an alignment. I'll post some pics tomorrow
euro911
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 25 2015, 10:30 AM) *
Awesome stuff! Hope someone there takes lots of pictures and video on the fix it date! Should be a sub - feature on the 914 experience video smile.gif

I'll pack some ENG gear to shoot the session if someone else doesn't step up to the plate.

Also, Ill be leaving the LAX area on Wednesday, maybe mid-morning (after rush hour). If anybody needs something transported up to the WCR, let me know so we can make arrangements to get your stuff into my Vanagon.

popcorn[1].gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 26 2015, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 25 2015, 10:30 AM) *

I'll pack some ENG gear to shoot the session if someone else doesn't step up to the plate.

Also, Ill be leaving the LAX area on Wednesday, maybe mid-morning (after rush hour). If anybody needs something transported up to the WCR, let me know so we can make arrangements to get your stuff into my Vanagon.

popcorn[1].gif

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif popcorn[1].gif
JRust
Okay I did make progress. Suspension is all back on. Had a wrinkle with a bad brake line. Luckily I had a car here to pull it from. Got that swapped & just need to bleed my brakes. Then put wheels on & it's as ready as it is getting. I need to go get more brake fluid. So tomorrow night I'll get them bled & take it for a quick spin. Dropping it off tuesday morning for an alignment.
Cairo94507
I am so happy to see this getting right back on the road.
JRust
Okay so everything is on. Spent some time bleeding the brakes tonight. Doing it old school way with my kid pumping the brakes. Not as firm as I'd like. I've got an appointment tomorrow morning to get it aligned. Going to see if they can bleed the brakes for me too. Took a very quick drive. Did not spend much time trying to align the front end with the new turbo tie rods. They are toe'd out just a bit. I'll drive it to the car shop in the morning. They will get it all squared away for me. Car is running fine at least. If I can just get people to look at the drivers side only evilgrin.gif All is well
brant
Great job!
76-914
smilie_pokal.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 28 2015, 01:08 AM) *

If I can just get people to look at the drivers side only evilgrin.gif All is well

At least move the jack post cover from right side to driver's side... biggrin.gif

Is Wills going to WCR? happy11.gif

Very happy to see the progress - you have one awesome 914 - cheers!
JRust
Dam drivers side rear caliper bleeder is stripped. I noticed when I was bleeding it & swapped another bleeder in. Was hoping it was just the bleeder & not the actual caliper sad.gif . SO the rear caliper won't close enough to keep from leaking. I'm dropping my spare off at local shop for a rebuild today. I have the rebuild kit & they said they could work it in. Minor hiccup but annoying with it being so close. Oh well we all need stress in our lives right rolleyes.gif
Andyrew
There are larger bleeder screws arent there? Cant you drill and tap it out?
JRust
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 28 2015, 12:21 PM) *

There are larger bleeder screws arent there? Cant you drill and tap it out?

If I didn't have another one I would. Still will but with the timing. Getting my other one rebuilt is easier. I don't have everything to drill & tap it. The Les Schwab doing my alignment didn't want to touch drilling it.
ndfrigi
Go Jamie! I'm sure you can fix that brake!
JRust
Yeah dropped the caliper at the local VW place. Hoping he can squeeze it in this afternoon still. If not it will be tomorrow morning. So hopefully I'll be bleeding it tonight. If not more of a rush tomorrow to get it done. Luckily I've had plenty of practice the last couple days evilgrin.gif . So should go pretty quick. Keep your fingers crossed they get that done today.

Although the tire shop managed to make the bleeder worse. Had no pedal when I went by to get it. So I've got to flat to it home.
Mike Bellis
You got some really big balls doing all this work right before WCR. I understand the rear suspension but jeez...

Well, we can always fix it when you get down here... smile.gif
Cuda911
Looks like the repair is moving along well.... great job!
rick 918-S
There will be jack stands available. You can finish the brakes while Mark and I bump your dents. smash.gif smash.gif
JRust
I've got my car home. Will throw it back on the lift in a couple hours. Unfortunately still have some running around to do for work. Looks like another late night with my car. The local VW shop thankfully got my extra caliper rebuilt. So I will put it on tonight & get the brakes bled. Assuming I don't fuch anything up tonight I'll be good to go happy11.gif
Cairo94507
piratenanner.gif
914_teener
Freakin awesome effort.

And I was worried about my car....jeez.

smilie_pokal.gif
JRust
Okay I've got brakes! I am going to put my tires back on tomorrow after work. Put the flat tow kit on. Not even going to power my car back up. Just going to leave before I find something else wrong dry.gif . So I'll be loading up my tow van with everything under the sun after work tomorrow. Still planning on just hitting the road early thursday morning. Or I may throw a mattress in the back of the van & leave wednesday night. All depends how tired I am tomorrow night & how early I am packed
sixnotfour
Safe Travels...
JRust
I ended up putting my new adjustable strut inserts in last night before I hit the road too. Got the proper gland nut from Paragon just in time. Left them on full soft up front for now. Car is towing nicely. Hopefully I remembered all the right tools. I did forget to bring misc pieces of wood dry.gif
rhodyguy
Full soft? Ext adj ext Koni? Check the installation instructions. Iirc FULL soft or hard is not recommended.
theleschyouknow
get to work, slackers! laugh.gif
dangerranger01
JRust where did you take it to get aligned and what specs did you adjust to? I've heard the factory numbers were done so oversteer wouldn't occur and other setups are better for driving. I'm not sure if Schwabs could do my alignment or if I need to take it to a special shop also.
JRust
Back front he great work at WCR. Did get the little welding that was needed done. My friend Brent from Salem came down to weld it up for me. Didn't take to long to fix the small tear in the bottom corner. As well as the small crack 1/2 crack in the flare weld. Need to prime, do a coat of glaze & block away. I was screwing around with a smooth top. I bought some synergy green put in aerosol cans. It was single stage while my paint is base & clear. Didn't cost much & I figured if I had to wait for a bit on paint. I could use it temporarily. Doubt I will waste time doing the paint thing. It will go to a shop once I have it ready for paint. I painted a metal cutout I had with the single stage I have. Isn't a great match which is no surprise. It is a little darker than my car.
euro911
Let the top sit out in the sun for a couple of weeks … it'll fade a little bit poke.gif
Cairo94507
Hey that cutout is totally cool aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.