Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AKA- Wreck 2015 route 66- Fix is done! Picks page 12
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
JRust
Okay so anyone who was following the Route 66 thread. Know I got stuck in a rain storm. Coming around a corner just outside of Oakridge. I hit standing water on the road. Car spun & I ended up sliding into the guard rail on the opposite side of the road backwords. Absolutely sucked but I was very lucky nobody was coming the other way. Could have been so much worse. I wasn't hurt in any way other than my pride. Seeing my car damage after only having it back a month from my fire. I have no words to explain it other than it Fuching sucks headbang.gif

So moving on here are pics of the carnage the day of. There is also 2 creases/dents in my front flare. The extra chassis stiffening helped a lot. The brace from the front of the suspension ear. To my firewall I think kept the damage from being much worse. The way my rear wheel caught the guard rail lip pressed directly on that brace I believe. Because of this the trailing arm buckled. I am glad that I did not do the trailing arm reinforcement. I have heard conflicting things on it. I know see why in my opinion it shouldn't be done. If your trailing arm bends it is much better than your car bending or breaking. Trailing arms are pretty easy to replace. Ripped suspension ear or other frame damage not so much. I'll add pics of my car on the rack today in the next post
billh1963
Wow! You have had a run of bad luck for sure hissyfit.gif
JRust
Pics at the shop today!
Elliot Cannon
Did the trailing arm bend without damaging the suspension mounts? Or is it too soon to tell?
Elliot
porbmw
Sorry to hear of it/see it.

But it is STILL a very, very nice car.
GeorgeRud
Ouch! Glad you're OK AS THAT's the most important thing.

I think the trailing arms were designed to bend before affecting the mounts. Hopefully the car can be repaired without too many hassles.
ndfrigi
Hi Jaime, Thank God you're okay! Sorry, I didn't even ask you about it last saturday the 1st time we have met. I'm sure you will be able to fix your car before WCR. Thanks also, because when both of us (with your son) got lost from from the group, after making a you turn from 10 East to 10 West then back to 10 East, you forced me to catch up with your hybrid by running my 1.8FI between 80 to 90mph speed on traffic with various big rigs along our way. Next time let me drive your car before making me catch up with you on your hybrid. Hehehe

Hope to see you when we visited my wife twin sister and family in Portland.

Take care and God Bless!
wes
So sad to see, I love your car! Best of luck to you!
rjames
QUOTE(porbmw @ Mar 31 2015, 01:15 PM) *

Sorry to hear of it/see it.

But it is STILL a very, very nice car.

agree.gif
Hope the repairs are quick and not costly.
76-914
Dude! It's a sheeplove.gif shame. So rotten was the deed that you are excused from adding this to the Flatbed Thread. Seriously though, I'm proud of you. You "Manned Up" when 99.9% of us would have packed it in. You brought your son and made sure you both got to enjoy the event. Your a bigger man than I, Jamie. pray.gif
*****NOTE****** Jamie needs a trailing arm. Who amongst us has one that he can donate to Jamie's car?
Chris H.

....Absolutely sucked but I was very lucky nobody was coming the other way. Could have been so much worse.....

Dude...hate to even think about that...sheeesh....

You did a very good job of minimizing the damage. Could have easily spun around along that rail and then you'd have a real mess.
Blue6
I'll pm him, I have a set he can have.
SKL1
Glad you didn't get hurt, and as you said, if someone was coming the other way it could have been MUCH worse!

BTW, what engine and transaxle is that????
madmax914
Jamie, Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Let me know if you need any help, have welder will travel.
Cairo94507
Glad there were no injuries and hopefully your car is back and running very soon. Sucks but they can make it right.
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
I whole wholeheartedly agree about the trailing arm reinforcements Jamie- I had a friend spin his 914 racecar at the track and hit a retaining wall sideways (very similar to yours)..between the soft Mahle wheels giving way, along with the trailing arm- the damage was minimal.

Glad you are OK- I'm sure the car will be back soon and as good as new!
Andrew
pete000
This hurts to see !
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 31 2015, 02:29 PM) *

*****NOTE****** Jamie needs a trailing arm. Who amongst us has one that he can donate to Jamie's car?

I bet Jaime has a half dozen of those in his shed.
warpig
NOOOOOOO!!!! headbang.gif After all that work. hissyfit.gif
Sorry to see this happen to such a pretty car. barf.gif
You would think Oregon drivers could drive in the rain a little better chair.gif
I got a 71 tub with a completish suspension if you need parts or whatever off of. Been looking for an excuse to drive down to Corvalis for while now. confused24.gif
Super glad no one was hurt. Hope you have a speedy patchup and get back on the road asap. cheer.gif
green914
Glad you are okay smile.gif fix it quick only 28 days to WCR.
JRust
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 31 2015, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 31 2015, 02:29 PM) *

I bet Jaime has a half dozen of those in his shed.

Typically I do. I don't at the moment though. I've got one PM on it.

Unfortunately stuck waiting on Hagerty some. Well more the appraiser guy. Had a hard time with the appraisers last time. Just being extremely slow. They did show up today so hopefully I will get a call from Hagerty soon. Talked to Jonathon about moving quickly as WCR is coming quick. With it looking like the suspension setup will be okay with a new trailing arm. Having it drivable for WCR seems doable. Although I'm going to need a lot of things to go right this month to afford the trip So just keep your fingers crossed for me
Hank914
Glad you are okay! Sorry about the car, but sliding across the opposite lane of traffic in these cars is dangerous! I know, as I was as lucky as you were that no bigrigs were coming along at that time. Wishing your car a speedy recovery!
EdwardBlume
I have an extra trailing arm for free. Will take picts when I'm home next. I also have an extra set of CFR dog ear reinforcements, free again. Anything else you need just post.

Rob
914werke
WOW sad.gif
Been preoccupied so I hadnt seen this.
Sorry to hear but im glad you & your son were ok.
I had something similar happen to me while driving my (then) wife's Audi S6...
not a guardrail but a center jersey barrier ...Totaled.

If you need parts just LMK, Since Hines is "commuting" back & forth to Tooele
perhaps we can persuade him to make a detour.

driving.gif
914time
Glad you were not hurt.

Love the personlized plate!
Johny Blackstain
1st the fire & now this? I'd consider finding a priest someplace & have her exorcized. biggrin.gif
Glad you're well & hope you get her back on the road soon.
JRust
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 1 2015, 06:03 AM) *

WOW sad.gif

My son was not with me for this. I flew him to Vegas one way to meet me mid week. Then he came home with me. Yes I am very glad of that for sure.

On my car I don't think I have much chance of having it ready for WCR. If I am lucky it will be drive able by then. No way it will be fixed & painted. Jonathan has a few cars in front of mine. He thinks it will be 2 weeks before he can really dig into it. Doesn't leave much time before WCR to be ready. If that is the case I seriously doubt I will be making the trip down for WCR this year sad.gif . Just to much going on & to many things that cost. So my screw around budget is pretty much shot dry.gif . Such is life though
Heeltoe914
Glad you came out OK. My favorite green car Got a boo Boo!!!. Never is it a good idea to run reinforced trailing arms on the street, your car shows a perfect reason why not to. If all that energy would have went into the tube your list of damages would be allot longer.
We do hope you can make it to WCR? In another can maybe?
Cant have a party without Jamie in the house.
messix
Damn I wish I saw this before to today. I drove down to vancover/Portland today and I could have brought it down this far.
Mikey914
I go between PDX and MFR weekly, so if you need me to take anything I can fit in my car let me know. I can also use the truck if need be.
Mark
914_teener
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 1 2015, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 1 2015, 06:03 AM) *

WOW sad.gif

My son was not with me for this. I flew him to Vegas one way to meet me mid week. Then he came home with me. Yes I am very glad of that for sure.

On my car I don't think I have much chance of having it ready for WCR. If I am lucky it will be drive able by then. No way it will be fixed & painted. Jonathan has a few cars in front of mine. He thinks it will be 2 weeks before he can really dig into it. Doesn't leave much time before WCR to be ready. If that is the case I seriously doubt I will be making the trip down for WCR this year sad.gif . Just to much going on & to many things that cost. So my screw around budget is pretty much shot dry.gif . Such is life though

I think you should still go Jaime. There will be plenty of co-pilot seats.

carr914
Good Luck, my Brother from a different Mother
steuspeed
Bummer deal! I'm not going to WCR either. Too far for me. Maybe we'll see you and your car fixed next year?
Todd Enlund
Glad to hear that the damage appears to be confined to the arm.

Looks like I'm going to WCR, if you want a ride down you're welcome to sit shotgun. Only catch is, I may have to go a day early and I'll be sleeping in the back of my truck...
JRust
After much deliberation. I am going to pick up my car from the shop tomorrow. I am tired of waiting on someone else. If it takes 7 months to get my car done. I want it to be because I am going slow & methodical. Not because it is waiting behind other people's cars & schedule's. Plus I want more of a hand in the actual fix. As nice as it was to have it done after my fire. I didn't do jack to fix it. Not to mention it cost so much more to have done. Anyway for better or worse I am going to get my car & start fixing it myself. Good news is I should make it to WCR with it driveable. It won't be finished by any means. I don't have a chance to make WCR if I leave it to someone else. Just isn't going to happen & probably end up being another 6 month ordeal waiting for my car.

So time to get out my metal work book Rick hooked me up with years back. Then get to fixing my flares.
Mike Bellis
WCR build party! piratenanner.gif

I'll bring a hammer and a rattle can... smash.gif
rick 918-S
aktion035.gif driver like ya stole ER!
Jamie, sorry to hear about the crash! As bad as it is at least it's fixable and your around to tell the story, like you said it could of been a lot worse! Glad your going to work on it yourself, you'll be ok and a chance to build a stronger bond with your car! welder.gif ....Beautiful car. If I can help give me a call, Roy in Eugene.
brant
I like your decision!

I don't have the wheel bumper unfortunately. But if I an provide something pm me
relentless
Wow, sorry to hear about this Jamie. As said, at least you came out uninjured. It happened to me when I was a youngster in Eugene, driving fast around corners in the rain on Lorraine highway. I learned to slow down, especially in the rain.
JRust
Drove over to Bend this morning to pick up my car. Borrowed a trailing arm from my v8 car so I could actually roll it on the trailer. Don't worry Jim it will be back on by monday.
Jonathan was very cool & had my car on the lift already pulling my old trailing arm. So we just threw the loaner on there. Put my spare 6" fuch on there. The trailing arm looks to me to be in the right position. I'll have to do some measuring to be sure. No problems on the way home biggrin.gif
JRust
Okay so here are some pics. 1st of the trailing arm that buckled. Next is the damage to the front flare. The larger long crease near the top & the smaller one towards the door. After that we move to the back & the real damage. The rear corner is obviously bent in & down a bit. There are no crease or buckles on the inner fender in the heel well or in the trunk. Where the bigger dent is on the flare is where it buckles down just a bit.

My plan is to slowly press the rear corner back out to where it should be. I think my port-a-power from a solid spot should get that okay. Once that is out & close I will start to work on the dents. Although I may work those a little as I am pushing the rear out. I will still have the finish work done by a pro. My plan is to get it better so I can make WCR this month. I got back home with my car today to find my new trailing arm in a box on my deck. Huge thanks to Dave pray.gif for getting that out to me. I'll be cleaning it up & prepping it for powder coat. Then replacing the bearing & races for the stub axle. I'll see if the roller bearing setup McMark installed for my in the front of the trailing arm is okay. If so I will transfer that from my bent one.

Anyway more to come. I will be pulling my suspension front & rear. Well not the drivers rear. No problem there. I am pulling the from too as I have turbo tie rods to install as well as give me more room to work ont he passenger front flare.
914_teener
Save the trailing arm.....make a cool trophy for the next one!

Glad you are planning on going. first.gif
rick 918-S
If I had a hand full of tools I would bump that for you at the WCR. idea.gif

Port-o-power set, some scrap 2x4 pieces, assorted hammer and dolly's, grinder to remove some paint, shrinking disk, some bomb can primer to get you home... shades.gif

Oh! and my bulls eye picks.
914_teener
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 4 2015, 10:07 PM) *

Port-o-power set, some scrap 2x4 pieces, assorted hammer and dolly's, grinder to remove some paint, shrinking disk, some bomb can primer to get you home... shades.gif

Definitely the shrinking disk for that rear fender....
JRust
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 4 2015, 10:07 PM) *

I've got all but the shrinking disk. I'll go buy one before I head down. I'm all over that Rick thanks. Although I'd like to get it pushed back out enough to get my new bumper on it (thanks Mark). Should I attempt that Rick? I think I can push that corner out without to much trouble. I suppose I can attach the bumper to the one side & zip tie the other to get me down there idea.gif
3d914
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 4 2015, 09:54 PM) *

Okay so here are some pics. 1st of the trailing arm that buckled...

This is exactly why I don't box trailing arms. Without a point of failure - you're certain to do greater damage.

We salute you're courage to get back "up on the horse". Stay with it and best wishes.
McMark
I'll bring my shrinking setup to WCR, as well as my body hammer collection. sunglasses.gif
boxstr
Jamie, if Mark is going down your way, maybe I can give him the Fuchs wheels to bring down with him.
Craig at CAMP
boxstr
Do you need a rear trailing, also?
Craig at CAMP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.