Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric windshield washer pump question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
I have a 75 1.8. I want to install an electric winshield washer pump. I want to do this as simple as possible. I bought a small pump. The small plastic bit on the switch is already broken so I have the "intermittent wipers" position available. I have located the brown wire behind the gas tank.
I wanted to power the pump directelly from the brown wire so I have the pump working when I have the switch is on the bottom position. I don't need to have the wipers working at the same time. I only wanted to put an "on line" autoradio like fuse before the pump. Will it work ? will the switch handle the (little) power of the pump without using a relay ?
Has someone already done that?
Bruce Hinds
Brown wires are ground.
Spoke
You won't need a relay to run the washer pump. You can use the brown wire as long as you trace where it goes and are sure that it is powered (12V) when energized. Otherwise, it could be a ground wire and attached to the chassis somewhere.
johannes
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Apr 5 2015, 08:10 AM) *

Brown wires are ground.

Sorry. It's a brown/ black wire
johannes
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Apr 5 2015, 09:46 AM) *

I knew this page? My question was because I don't have the relay harness.
BeatNavy
There is an extra brown/black wire that runs to the steering column. I did use that one to power the windshield pump with the different wiper switch. Here's a thread where I "discovered" that wire (post 24): Wiring Windshield Washer.

SirAndy
If i recall correctly, the brown/black wire has 12V when the lever is pull towards you. That should be enough to power the pump.
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php

However, i would recommend using an aftermarket relay anyways, they're usually always the better choice.
smile.gif
johannes
Thank's all of you for your answers.
johannes
I will post pictures when done.
Dave_Darling
Actually, you may be in the best position to answer your question: Check the wire with a voltmeter. If it has +12V when you pull the stalk back, and not at any other time, it should be fine to power the pump.

And Andy is quite right, using a relay will help the switch not to work so hard, and can make sure you get full power to the pump when you want it.

--DD
stinkindiesel
You'd really need to know the current requirements of the pump you have and the pull current of the relay you are considering. I wouldn't be surprised if a standard automotive relay pull current isn't very close to the run current of many of the modern small electric pumps used for windshield washers. If that's the case, the relay isn't really a win.

All pure speculation on my part, and I'm too lazy to do the research :^)

Gary
914_teener
QUOTE(stinkindiesel @ Apr 6 2015, 12:06 PM) *

You'd really need to know the current requirements of the pump you have and the pull current of the relay you are considering. I wouldn't be surprised if a standard automotive relay pull current isn't very close to the run current of many of the modern small electric pumps used for windshield washers. If that's the case, the relay isn't really a win.

All pure speculation on my part, and I'm too lazy to do the research :^)

Gary

I just did this one per Andy's thread he has re-posted.

I used a URO pump....it works great.
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 6 2015, 07:30 AM) *

Actually, you may be in the best position to answer your question: Check the wire with a voltmeter. If it has +12V when you pull the stalk back, and not at any other time, it should be fine to power the pump.

And Andy is quite right, using a relay will help the switch not to work so hard, and can make sure you get full power to the pump when you want it.

--DD

Having purchased several 924 wiper stalk switches in quest of wiper washer bliss i can say that the switches were not overengineered. Lots of softened overheated plastic. So run the relay to bolster the 12 v that i think you should find. If you have the wire you could go whole hog and intermittent the wipers too. But as you point out, you already know that. Best of luck.
johannes
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 6 2015, 06:42 PM) *

Having purchased several 924 wiper stalk switches in quest of wiper washer bliss i can say that the switches were not overengineered. Lots of softened overheated plastic. So run the relay to bolster the 12 v that i think you should find. If you have the wire you could go whole hog and intermittent the wipers too. But as you point out, you already know that. Best of luck.

I searched on the Interweb and found many sources that tell the windshield washer pumps draw 4 to 5 amps, the motob being about 50 Watts.
I wasn't able to check on the pump I purchased. There is nothing written on and I have nothing to mesure current.
With so many amps. it It may be unsafe to run the pump directelly from the wiper switch. I will go the relay way.

Valy
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4&hl=wipers
All you need to know.
That wire for the intermitent relay will not work well for the pump.
stinkindiesel

I searched on the Interweb and found many sources that tell the windshield washer pumps draw 4 to 5 amps, the motob being about 50 Watts.
I wasn't able to check on the pump I purchased. There is nothing written on and I have nothing to mesure current.
With so many amps. it It may be unsafe to run the pump directelly from the wiper switch. I will go the relay way.

If the pump is really in the 4-5A range, I'd definitely go with a relay. I'm a little surprised, though, that such a small electric motor would require so much juice.

Gary
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 5 2015, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Apr 5 2015, 08:10 AM) *

Brown wires are ground.

Sorry. It's a brown/ black wire

So it's a switched ground ...

The Cap'n
johannes
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 8 2015, 01:12 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4&hl=wipers
All you need to know.
That wire for the intermitent relay will not work well for the pump.

Lots of very interresting informations in this thread. Thank you for pointing it to me.
I like your switch hack ... Very smart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.