Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914/Subaru svx build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mepstein
Yea, that fall was a small blemish on a fun trip. Glad it wasn't Stephen's engine. Scott's suby engine looks great.

Long day, I'm going to bed.
914forme
Yes, luckily nobody got in the way of the engine and gravity. It was a sad end to a good morning.

Good to see everyone.
Chi-town
Oh well looks like scrap, time to swap for the better EZ30D laugh.gif
rhodyguy
Sounds like the incident was a blessing in disguise. A reseal? How deep do you go and what are the 'while you're in there's'?
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 11 2020, 12:13 PM) *

Sounds like the incident was a blessing in disguise. A reseal? How deep do you go and what are the 'while you're in there's'?

All Scott’s decision now. popcorn[1].gif

I’m sure Dylan is right about there being better engines but this was my budget build, I already have the engine and a wire harness built for it. So we’ll just see where Scott takes this for now.
Amenson
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 11 2020, 12:39 PM) *

I’m sure Dylan is right about there being better engines but this was my budget build, I already have the engine and a wire harness built for it. So we’ll just see where Scott takes this for now.

Scott's decision and budget build... idea.gif lol-2.gif idea.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif

The while I am in there on the porsti engine turned in to new block, crank, rods, pistons, 11mm oil pump, springs, retainers, Kevlar timing belt, cast impeller water pump and most of the fasteners. Initial plan was forged pistons, bearings and maybe rods.

With the EG it seems silly not to take care of the oil and other leaks and do timing belt, idlers and water pump while the engine is accessible. Rear main seal would probably be a good idea also.
mepstein
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 11 2020, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 11 2020, 12:39 PM) *

Scott's decision and budget build... idea.gif lol-2.gif idea.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif

The while I am in there on the porsti engine turned in to new block, crank, rods, pistons, 11mm oil pump, springs, retainers, Kevlar timing belt, cast impeller water pump and most of the fasteners. Initial plan was forged pistons, bearings and maybe rods.

With the EG it seems silly not to take care of the oil and other leaks and do timing belt, idlers and water pump while the engine is accessible. Rear main seal would probably be a good idea also.

You're the boss.
rhodyguy
Nope. Boss writes the checks.wink.gif
Amenson
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 11 2020, 03:57 PM) *

agree.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 11 2020, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 11 2020, 03:57 PM) *

agree.gif

OK, then talk to my wife lol-2.gif

But seriously, I told you I was sure we'd have project creep once you got a look at things. Just jot it down in a text or email so I have a ballpark and we'll keep moving forward. Thanks!
Chris H.
Yeah you really have to do the re-seal kit on that engine. You also want to change the oil separator cover under the flywheel from the plastic one to a metal one (e-bay has them). FYI the oil pan does not have a gasket, you just use sealant like Permatex grey. Usually don't need to do head gaskets, which makes it a lot easier.
914forme
agree.gif And there is a magical box that has a bunch of that stuff in it. shades.gif It is in one of the two sets of part drop offs that I did.

Water pump, that is also in a box that I dropped off. It just came from Australia, so water flows clockwise. screwy.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 11 2020, 08:29 PM) *

agree.gif And there is a magical box that has a bunch of that stuff in it. shades.gif It is in one of the two sets of part drop offs that I did.

Water pump, that is also in a box that I dropped off. It just came from Australia, so water flows clockwise. screwy.gif

Thank you Stephen beerchug.gif
Amenson
This project has had enough time to settle into the garage, let's get to work.

First step was to get a hitch on the C10 that was on back order forever due to the covid so that I could bring the engine to the power wash booth.

It was a bit dirty.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Best tow beast ever.
Click to view attachment

Clean, or at least clean enough to go near without getting filthy.
Click to view attachment

No idea how many miles were on the car since the last timing belt change but the idlers were all approaching the end of their service life. Most subies are 100k then replace belt, idlers, tensioner and water pump. This is definitely in order for the EG. All of the timing belt plastic was cracked from the drop or from the middle on over deteriorated from use. Fortunately Stephen had all but the center piece in the boxes of goodies. He also had all of the gaskets/seals for the reseal and a metal cover for the rear.

Click to view attachment

Cheers
Scott
914forme
Wow how did I miss this, also a bit bummed you actually ordered a hitch. confused24.gif

More than welcome on the seals and items to get it right.

BTW, do the valve covers outside of the car. I did them in the SVX learned a few new words, and made a sacrificial offering to the Subaru goods with my blood.

This tread needs and update. poke.gif
Amenson
Probably about time to update the thread.

Managed to find a rear trunk section in a local junk yard.

Click to view attachment

Brought along my neighbor gearhead in training along with to help with the extraction.

Click to view attachment

It is amazing how many layers come together in this part of the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sort of kinda have it down to just what I need. Just another 30 spot welds to cut. Being very cautious to make sure that I don't cut out anything that is needed.

Click to view attachment

Also working on the suspension. Pulled the rear hubs to replace the bearings and install the 911 park brake.

Click to view attachment

Installed the front sway bar.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Assembling the park brake and calipers.

Click to view attachment

Shiny!

Click to view attachment

Couldn't resist test fitting the new oil pan.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

mepstein
biggrin.gif
mepstein
Wow, I'm getting excited about this car again. Thank you!

I never showed a pic of the rear trunk but I'm happy that Scott is making it oem again. The metal bar connecting the shock towers was a terrible hack.
CptTripps
Scott does the best work, and at some point will be crowned the "Finisher of stalled projects" by those of us that have benefitted from his extremely talented hands.
Amenson
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 4 2021, 09:08 AM) *

Scott does the best work, and at some point will be crowned the "Finisher of stalled projects" by those of us that have benefitted from his extremely talented hands.

There are some things that I do that are getting pretty good but best is a bit of a stretch...there are a few guys here that make some of my work look like I am just starting to learn.

Amenson
The trunk replacment is pretty much free of extra sections. Still lots of grinding to clean up the weld areas and will need to trim the floor to size once in place.

Click to view attachment

This is what it will be replacing.

Click to view attachment

I needed a couple of nice days to work on the trailing arms so that I cold grind/paint outside. Last weekend was an amazing couple of days of Ohio spring.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Do have a bit of a snag with the calipers. The spacers on the outside of the bearing took care of the long hub issue but the calipers do not fit. Looks like there should be a spacer between the caliper and the mounting bracket.

Click to view attachment

Am I missing something obvious?
Retroracer
I don't think you've missed anything. My set up is almost identical to yours; I ended up needing a small spacer between caliper and mount to center the caliper too. I have Carrera rear calipers / rotor / drums.

If I recall, when I was putting together mine (and memory is dim here, but): the front of the mounting lugs rides very close to the back of the rotor. It did not rub/interfere, but looked super close. Some restrained adjustment (grinder) was deemed necessary. Might want to assess that clearance on yours.

Nice job on the welding BTW,

- Tony
sixnotfour
backing plate bracket, not present= washer
rhodyguy
Nice catch.
mepstein
I hate what the prior owner did to that trunk. Thank you Scott.
Retroracer
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 12 2021, 11:30 AM) *

The 911 backing plate is wafer thin at this point, so does not account for all of the gap even when fitted. I can check, but think 3mm or so is needed to center it from the 914 mounts (I ditched the dust shield too)... did I try the 914 dust shield? Don't recall...

- Tony
2mAn
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 4 2021, 06:08 AM) *

That is a wonderful title , as someone who has both had to abandon projects and picked up abandoned projects it’s so great to finish them and so heartbreaking to throw in the towel...

Can’t wait to see this done
Literati914
Wow, this is coming along nicely.. way to go Scott.

What Calipers are you using on the back again?

mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 12 2021, 08:08 PM) *

Wow, this is coming along nicely.. way to go Scott.

What Calipers are you using on the back again?

M calipers f & r. Rebuilt by PMB. Tangerine racing 911 e brake kit.
914forme
Txt sent I have spacer material for the rear calipers.
Amenson
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Mar 12 2021, 01:51 PM) *

I don't think you've missed anything. My set up is almost identical to yours; I ended up needing a small spacer between caliper and mount to center the caliper too. I have Carrera rear calipers / rotor / drums.

If I recall, when I was putting together mine (and memory is dim here, but): the front of the mounting lugs rides very close to the back of the rotor. It did not rub/interfere, but looked super close. Some restrained adjustment (grinder) was deemed necessary. Might want to assess that clearance on yours.

Nice job on the welding BTW,

- Tony

Pretty welds are the easy part...although there is a reason that I didn't take a macro shot of these welds. I didn't quite get pretty colors due to some crud suck in the small corrosion pits in the trailing arms.

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 12 2021, 02:30 PM) *

Thanks for the confirmation that spacers are required. I moved porsti onto the 4 post lift this weekend so that I can drive the C10 and was able to confirm that I used spacers on the PorSti rear calipers too.

QUOTE(2mAn @ Mar 12 2021, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 4 2021, 06:08 AM) *

That is a wonderful title , as someone who has both had to abandon projects and picked up abandoned projects it’s so great to finish them and so heartbreaking to throw in the towel...

Can’t wait to see this done

Don't tell my BMW 2002 that I am a protect finisher...haven't touched it in nearly 20 years!
Amenson
About time for an update....'eh.

Had a spell of very little time in the shop. Then when I did get back it was pre power tour time and Mark was nice enough to let me work on Porsti a bit. That turned out to be a debacle, I'll update that build thread later. Been plugging away on Marks car lately but nothing super photogenic. Cleaning up the engine quite a bit more and deleting things that are not needed between plotting how to install the rear trunk section. I think that because I have so much time into the new section and getting another will be basically impossible I am having a hard time committing to cutting it down to fit the hole. Lot of time wasted measuring things over and over again...I guess if it goes well it won't be wasted but feels very unproductive.

One cool thing that is worth sharing is the header from Small car. With the shorter oil pan the stock exhaust manifolds were way too low.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

We have all of the seals for the engine but still need a timing belt kit. I usually get the Gates kits for our daily drivers because they seem to work fine and are much cheaper than Subaru parts but these don't seem to be available any more for the EG33. Anyone have a place where they have purchased one lately or have one left over from a project?

Pretty much the only thing in stock is this GMB kit on ebay.
Click to view attachment

Rock Auto carries the same kit but it has been out of stock for ever. Anyone use GMB stuff before?

Cheers,
Scott

Chris H.
Should be fine. It's a non-interference engine.
mepstein
That was a great suggestion to get the small car headers. Thanks
I have no choice but to drive over 4 speed bumps to where we live on campus.
I know you have high standards for your work but whatever you do for the trunk will be an improvement. The prior owner put a lot of time and effort into making a mess of that section.
partwerks
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 28 2015, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 27 2015, 06:44 PM) *

So I need a trans. Can anyone help me find the right trans for sale. Not just type but an actual trans for sale so I can just purchase and drive home. I'm around Newark, DE 19711 so anything within about a 2 hour drive would be great. Needs to be a 5mt that will hold up to the 6 cylinder eg33. Thanks!

*I would really like it complete with clutch, flywheel, trans stubs, ect.

Go back and read Chris' or my build thread. Pretty sure all the clutch/tranny info you'll need is there. The TY75 MT5 comes with 4:11's or 3:9's. The 3:9's will give you better hi way gearing.

Is TY75 MT5, one or two different transmissions, or all one part number for just the one?
Does the 3:9 run slower in road gear?
mepstein
I got one from a bug eye Impreza. Have no idea what the ratio is.
76-914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 5 2022, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 28 2015, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 27 2015, 06:44 PM) *

So I need a trans. Can anyone help me find the right trans for sale. Not just type but an actual trans for sale so I can just purchase and drive home. I'm around Newark, DE 19711 so anything within about a 2 hour drive would be great. Needs to be a 5mt that will hold up to the 6 cylinder eg33. Thanks!

*I would really like it complete with clutch, flywheel, trans stubs, ect.

Go back and read Chris' or my build thread. Pretty sure all the clutch/tranny info you'll need is there. The TY75 MT5 comes with 4:11's or 3:9's. The 3:9's will give you better hi way gearing.

Is TY75 MT5, one or two different transmissions, or all one part number for just the one?
Does the 3:9 run slower in road gear?

One. TY75 is the # assigned to all 5 speeds. Here is all you would want to know re: the trans........... IIRC, 2006 & 2007 have 3.6 final drive https://www.rallispec.com/downloads/Transmi...hart_Public.pdf
partwerks
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 14 2021, 03:43 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Brought along my neighbor gearhead in training along with to help with the extraction.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sort of kinda have it down to just what I need. Just another 30 spot welds to cut. Being very cautious to make sure that I don't cut out anything that is needed.

Click to view attachment

Also working on the suspension. Pulled the rear hubs to replace the bearings and install the 911 park brake.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Shiny!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That's the oil pan on the EZ30D?
76-914
QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 17 2022, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 14 2021, 03:43 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Shiny!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That's the oil pan on the EZ30D?

The thread title says it all. But you're new to Subaru so...........SVX used a 3.3L 6 called the EG33. Very desirably engine but getting more rare as are the parts for them.
mepstein
I plan to put the car up for sale this week.

I just brought the chassis, engine, trans and all the parts back from Scott’s house. I’ll catalog what is there, take pics and then post a price.
Aerostatwv
I saw your car in Scott's garage. Still in shock...
mepstein
QUOTE(Aerostatwv @ Jul 23 2023, 07:04 PM) *

I saw your car in Scott's garage. Still in shock...

Yes. I was just there yesterday. Very sad for his family.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.