Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914/Subaru svx build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jmill
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2017, 06:57 PM) *

Then make it pretty with a hardtop and a/c.

Steel hardtop? If so aktion035.gif

I love the look and the blue one with the 944 sunroof was one of my favorites.
914forme
QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 6 2017, 05:09 PM) *

drooley.gif This is the exact reason why I am duplicating the same roof in my build. The 944 sunroof panel is huge. And I never take the roof off anyway, but the venting would be great.
mepstein
I need to put this on wheels to get to the builder so I scrounged around the house for parts and put together a front suspension. The rear is in a bin - somewhere.
Andyrew
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 6 2017, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 6 2017, 05:09 PM) *

drooley.gif This is the exact reason why I am duplicating the same roof in my build. The 944 sunroof panel is huge. And I never take the roof off anyway, but the venting would be great.

If I did mine again I am sure I would have gone hardtop, Love the look and I rarely ever have the top off in the summer (sun is my enemy).
mepstein
I got tired of looking at the roll cage.
Step 1 - buy really good blades
mepstein
Step 2
sawzall-smiley.gif
914forme
Mark you also sending brake parts, the builder likes to test his work driving.gif happy11.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 2 2017, 08:11 PM) *

Mark you also sending brake parts, the builder likes to test his work driving.gif happy11.gif

I sold you the front calipers that were supposed to be for this car. My bad. So if you change your mind, sell them back to me please. The rears are getting 911 m calipers with 911 ebrake.
914forme
?

I don't think I bought your calipers confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 2 2017, 10:41 PM) *

?

Right after Hershey. Check your usps priority boxes. I only want them back if your plans have changed. Or if I'm just making all this up beerchug.gif it could happen smoke.gif
914forme
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2017, 11:00 PM) *

?

Right after Hershey. Check your usps priority boxes. I only want them back if your plans have changed. Or if I'm just making all this up beerchug.gif it could happen smoke.gif

Oh yeah I forgot about them, they went onto a different project.
Amenson
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 3 2017, 04:26 PM) *

?

Are those the calipers I have from you Stephen?

If so, the fronts are unused.
914forme
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 3 2017, 04:40 PM) *

?

Nope, He could use them if he used a 3.5" strut. Ones I got from Mark where 3" So yeah Mark, slap some 3.5" struts on and Scott's got you covered.

mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 3 2017, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 3 2017, 04:40 PM) *

?

Nope, He could use them if he used a 3.5" strut. Ones I got from Mark where 3" So yeah Mark, slap some 3.5" struts on and Scott's got you covered.

No problem. I'll find some more M calipers. I'm already donating some 3.5" struts to a good cause.
mepstein
I ground down the stumps from the roll cage. Doesn't look like much but it took a while. Especially in the engine compartment. Unfortunately, the welded in pads are going to stay. It's just too much work to remove them. Maybe one day.
76-914
Uh, I hate to ask but is that a rust sensor screwed into the long? confused24.gif
Andyrew
Looks like a seat belt bolt
mepstein
Just the seat belt bolt and a wire. biggrin.gif
Amenson
Had an interesting discussion going so I moved it to the proper place...

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2019, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2019, 01:46 PM) *

Scott the flip is not hard, some of the stuff just needs to moved to make it happen, like we talked about. Once you see the EG you will know. The IRIS system is what clutters up the flip.

I don't think You're going to have an issue with it. It is very easy if Mark is not going to have AC in the car, becomes harder if Mark is.

Workshop is looking great, let me know if there is anything you need from me to help these along. poke.gif Yeah I know of 5 little round items you need all ready huh.gif

I don’t want to turn this into a thread for my car but...I do want a/c & heat. I was hoping the bulkhead mount might make things a bit easier with positioning but that might not be the case. My plan is not to micromanage the build but to turn it over to Scott A and let him do his thing. The only challenge I see with the build is Scott likes to build to a high standard for both looks and functionality and I’m looking for a good running conversion but not a showcase car. I’m sure it will work out. The nice thing is with my car is there is no fresh paint to worry about.

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2019, 06:33 PM) *

lol-2.gif Fresh paint, and yes this is about PorSTI, we just started talking about EG33 intake flips. I am a huge proponent that the bulkhead mounts for the EG, if anything it allows for even better positioning of the engine giving the clearance needed for the flip.

Mark I am sure a build thread will be started to discuss your car, once the process starts.

Oh, don't worry your car will be built to a high standard for looks and functionality...efficiently.

Getting the engine sitting properly in the available space is key. Ditching the cradle will help a lot and I think that we should consider a shortened oil pan. Lowering the engine should open up enough space to flip the manifold so that we can shift the engine back and get the axles straight (and use an electric motor AC compressor maybe) or leave it as is keep AC either way keeping the trunk uncut. It would be a shame to hack it up after spending the time to install the the donor trunk section.

PorSTi has a shortened pan from Outfront but I am not sure if they do one for the EG. If not small car has a nice cast aluminum EG pan.

Tom wants heat on Grey also so I added connections to the radiator lines for it. I have concept for a heater but Grey doesn't have all of the air diverters and stuff installed for mock-up and quite frankly I need to end scope creep on the project so so that Tom can have it back in time to have the opportunity to do final assembly before spring. We can develop it on your car.
mepstein
QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 9 2019, 10:40 PM) *

Had an interesting discussion going so I moved it to the proper place...

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2019, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2019, 01:46 PM) *

Scott the flip is not hard, some of the stuff just needs to moved to make it happen, like we talked about. Once you see the EG you will know. The IRIS system is what clutters up the flip.

I don't think You're going to have an issue with it. It is very easy if Mark is not going to have AC in the car, becomes harder if Mark is.

Workshop is looking great, let me know if there is anything you need from me to help these along. poke.gif Yeah I know of 5 little round items you need all ready huh.gif

I don’t want to turn this into a thread for my car but...I do want a/c & heat. I was hoping the bulkhead mount might make things a bit easier with positioning but that might not be the case. My plan is not to micromanage the build but to turn it over to Scott A and let him do his thing. The only challenge I see with the build is Scott likes to build to a high standard for both looks and functionality and I’m looking for a good running conversion but not a showcase car. I’m sure it will work out. The nice thing is with my car is there is no fresh paint to worry about.

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2019, 06:33 PM) *

lol-2.gif Fresh paint, and yes this is about PorSTI, we just started talking about EG33 intake flips. I am a huge proponent that the bulkhead mounts for the EG, if anything it allows for even better positioning of the engine giving the clearance needed for the flip.

Mark I am sure a build thread will be started to discuss your car, once the process starts.

Oh, don't worry your car will be built to a high standard for looks and functionality...efficiently.

Getting the engine sitting properly in the available space is key. Ditching the cradle will help a lot and I think that we should consider a shortened oil pan. Lowering the engine should open up enough space to flip the manifold so that we can shift the engine back and get the axles straight (and use an electric motor AC compressor maybe) or leave it as is keep AC either way keeping the trunk uncut. It would be a shame to hack it up after spending the time to install the the donor trunk section.

PorSTi has a shortened pan from Outfront but I am not sure if they do one for the EG. If not small car has a nice cast aluminum EG pan.

Tom wants heat on Grey also so I added connections to the radiator lines for it. I have concept for a heater but Grey doesn't have all of the air diverters and stuff installed for mock-up and quite frankly I need to end scope creep on the project so so that Tom can have it back in time to have the opportunity to do final assembly before spring. We can develop it on your car.

Like I said, I’m not going to micromanage the build. I’ll just sit back, watch and be surprised. beerchug.gif
jimkelly
mark, looks like me and you, or you and i, may have some jack stands available for sale in the near future smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 10 2019, 10:20 PM) *

mark, looks like me and you, or you and i, may have some jack stands available for sale in the near future smile.gif

What will I use for my other 5 project cars laugh.gif
Right now the chassis is sitting on 2-6x6's so turning into a roller is a springtime project - way too cold in the workshop right now. So i'll just continue getting parts together.

KELTY360
Unfortunately, the EG33 in my Syncro Westy took a dump and I had a conversion done to a 2.5. I've got a polished intake, nearly new crank pulley, reversed coolant manifold and a small car oil pan for sale; plus other misc parts. Haven't even thought about prices but very fair. PM if you're interested.
Amenson
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 11 2019, 01:00 AM) *

Unfortunately, the EG33 in my Syncro Westy took a dump and I had a conversion done to a 2.5. I've got a polished intake, nearly new crank pulley, reversed coolant manifold and a small car oil pan for sale; plus other misc parts. Haven't even thought about prices but very fair. PM if you're interested.

Is the small car oil pan the short version? How far down from the bottom of the block does the oil pan sit?

914forme
Scott I have one in the shop if you want me to measure it.

I hope it is not on the engine the is on the mockup stand wacko.gif
914forme
While in the shop I dug out my Smaller oil pan, had not even opened the box. Pan is interesting to say the least, cast aluminum, looks decent.

Click to view attachment

But what I found inside made none too happy.

Click to view attachment

What is that crap at the bottom of the pan? And who the hell fixes a mold with duct tap, and then uses it to create the sand cast? poke.gif

Well I found the crap at the bottom of the pan, I had small car modify the pickup tube. Now that I know what they did, I might have to redo this one. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

And well that explains the crap in the pan. WTF.gif

It is inside the pickup screen also.

Click to view attachment

Hard to see but that crap is in there.

So Scott I would recommend you modify the pickup your self if your using this pan. I will keep this one out of the car and most likely use the one from my my running engine to build another one.

And to answer the question.

Click to view attachment

4 1/8" from flange to table. You can figure out clearances from there. Being cast AL, I might drop an Aluminum Skid plate under it.Just to make sure I don't lose it some how. VW has cast AL pans on some of the Jettas, and well the wife cracked one hitting a man hole cover, right place right time sort of thing.
mepstein
I didn't think a shallow oil pan was needed on a svx build.
Stephen - Did they use drywall paste to "glue" it together?
I'll have to find the engine and trans at the shop.
God knows where the guys hid a bunch of Suby parts in a Porsche shop.

You guys are getting me excited again about this car.
tazz9924
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2019, 09:02 PM) *

While in the shop I dug out my Smaller oil pan, had not even opened the box. Pan is interesting to say the least, cast aluminum, looks decent.

Click to view attachment

But what I found inside made none too happy.

Click to view attachment

What is that crap at the bottom of the pan? And who the hell fixes a mold with duct tap, and then uses it to create the sand cast? poke.gif

Well I found the crap at the bottom of the pan, I had small car modify the pickup tube. Now that I know what they did, I might have to redo this one. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

And well that explains the crap in the pan. WTF.gif

It is inside the pickup screen also.

Click to view attachment

Hard to see but that crap is in there.

So Scott I would recommend you modify the pickup your self if your using this pan. I will keep this one out of the car and most likely use the one from my my running engine to build another one.

And to answer the question.

Click to view attachment

4 1/8" from flange to table. You can figure out clearances from there. Being cast AL, I might drop an Aluminum Skid plate under it.Just to make sure I don't lose it some how. VW has cast AL pans on some of the Jettas, and well the wife cracked one hitting a man hole cover, right place right time sort of thing.

Idk why the pickup tube was done like that. Ive met the welder they get to modify all of those pickups (he does hundreds at a time) and all of them are just tig welded. Ive never seen one he’s made, including the one i got personally, thats looked like that blink.gif you must’ve really gotten the oddest of ones out. I also didnt junk in my pan when i got it, though I don’t remember the duct tape in the casting or not.
mepstein
Sold the coldwater cradle a while ago.
Here's the firewall mount that I picked up from JRust.
Amenson
Stephen,
Thanks for the measurements and pictures...that pickup modification barf.gif
The depth is the same as my Outfront modified pan on the Porsti.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 20 2019, 09:44 AM) *

I didn't think a shallow oil pan was needed on a svx build.
Stephen - Did they use drywall paste to "glue" it together?
I'll have to find the engine and trans at the shop.
God knows where the guys hid a bunch of Suby parts in a Porsche shop.

You guys are getting me excited again about this car.

It is not needed, plenty of guys have made the stock pan work. Lowering the engine a few inches really opens up space up top where everything is cramped. Even on the EJ engine it blows me away how much better the engine sits in Porsti compared to Grey, more like the stock engine. Also, I would have had to cut the trunk to make the starter fit in Porsti if the engine were not lowered.

We should use a lowered pan on your EG. idea.gif poke.gif

914forme
agree.gif 100%

Mine is dropped and saves all the trunk cutting. I even filled my trunk where I cut it out, so full back trunk is a plus.

Scott we can use this pickup for the placement / design, and you can TIG up one that actually looks and functions well.

I have contacted @KELTY360 to see if I can work out a deal on the parts, I need a few items off of an EG. Fingers crossed he has them. But I will gladly share with Mark, he has dug me out of a few odd parts needs. beerchug.gif Mark if you worked out a deal, let me know I'll give you my list. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 20 2019, 03:38 PM) *

agree.gif 100%

Mine is dropped and saves all the trunk cutting. I even filled my trunk where I cut it out, so full back trunk is a plus.

Scott we can use this pickup for the placement / design, and you can TIG up one that actually looks and functions well.

I have contacted @KELTY360 to see if I can work out a deal on the parts, I need a few items off of an EG. Fingers crossed he has them. But I will gladly share with Mark, he has dug me out of a few odd parts needs. beerchug.gif Mark if you worked out a deal, let me know I'll give you my list. confused24.gif

Stephen - Thank you. I always appreciate your help. I'm going to let Scott decide what I need or don't need. I'm still gathering up some brake and suspension parts but I'm going to try to stay hands off when it comes to the engine and trans details since he has a vision on how this should all go together and I don't. And that's ok, I'm a pretty good parts sourcer but I know my limits.
KELTY360
Mark, Stephan and Scott - I haven't gone MIA, it's just complicated since I moved and the parts are 100 miles away and I don't know what's still intact. I plan on seeing the engine on Wednesday when I'm in seatle and I'll report after that.
mepstein
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 20 2019, 04:55 PM) *

Mark, Stephan and Scott - I haven't gone MIA, it's just complicated since I moved and the parts are 100 miles away and I don't know what's still intact. I plan on seeing the engine on Wednesday when I'm in seatle and I'll report after that.

beerchug.gif
914forme
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 20 2019, 04:55 PM) *

beerchug.gif Sounds great
JRust
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 20 2019, 06:51 AM) *

Yeah I have regretted selling that for the last 4 months dry.gif . LOL!
mepstein
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 20 2019, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 20 2019, 06:51 AM) *

Yeah I have regretted selling that for the last 4 months dry.gif . LOL!

Ben is working on a version.
As Porsche engines continue to go up in price, I think we will see more suby conversations
Can’t tell you how how many thing I’ve sold the day before I need them.
mepstein
Only took 4 years to get suspension on the car.
76-914
Don't rush it! biggrin.gif
914forme
piratenanner.gif Hoping that means what I think it means piratenanner.gif

Always nice to see them back on four wheels.

mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 7 2019, 09:42 PM) *

piratenanner.gif Hoping that means what I think it means piratenanner.gif

Always nice to see them back on four wheels.

Yes, trying to set up a drive to Scott asap, deliver your engine and then another engine delivery near Pittsburgh.

Putting parts on the car goes pretty quick but getting the right hardware together has taken some time.

I appreciate your patience.
mepstein
I purchased as a bare chassis so I’m happy to finally see it on four wheels.

Most of the suspension has been refreshed but there’s still a lot of assembly to go.
mepstein
Loaded up and on it’s way to Scott Amerson to get it running.
914forme
Can not wait too see this unfold. popcorn[1].gif Looking forward to it, and another item that is in that truck bed. piratenanner.gif
Amenson
That is a nice trailer...does it stay with the project?!
76-914
So you're going Turbo?
Tdskip
Oh man, I had no idea this was underway. Nice moment to be able to roll her.
Cairo94507
Congratulations Mark smilie_pokal.gif . That is a major milestone. Looking forward to seeing a video clip of it running. Cheers, Michael
76-914
Once you go Subaru you never go back! evilgrin.gif
Amenson
The stars aligned and the EG has landed. Unfortunately there was a bit of a crash landing and the engine was banged up a bit but nothing terminal.

Cam gear is toast but the cams turn fine. Cam sensor mount will need to be welded back on.

Click to view attachment

While checking the carnage I noticed the center cover was a bit deranged. Somehow the accessory belt and idler were rubbing.

Click to view attachment

Pulled the AC and power steering so that I could get a better look at what is going on under the manifold...a whole lot of sludge. The engine could probably use a full reseal to take care of the various leaks.

Click to view attachment

Tucked away. Won't be a ton of progress in the near future, just have to figure out what all is here and make a plan, and a whole lot of cleaning when the weather permits.

Click to view attachment

In the meantime I'll keep plugging away on the porsti. I need to make a long overdue update that thread with the engine build and some other fun stuff.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.