Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Michigan Build, Garland
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Garland
OK, To catch-up:
The 1.7 is out, and the build 2??? is in, after multi oil concerns and now I need to remove the cooler to replace the washers into the correct location.
So,
I removed the cooler while the engines in the car. I have done this before, can be time consuming, even when it is a fresh build.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Small pliers loosen and fully unscrew the studs. This will take some time. Little turns. when all 3 are loose, remove cooler with studs in cooler.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I had to do this twice since after repairing the washer location, I found the cooler leaked and needed to be replaced.

Tested and installed. NO leaks!

Click to view attachment

Cleaned up the trans case with a bit of Gibbs oil.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Garland
I have been pushing to get this done, and keep running into concerns, now I find the alternator I has installed when the engine was out. Is shot! I was hoping to install the heater tin tonight, not R&R the alternator. Heres a few shots.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then took a night drive, since I have charging power. Heres the video I took. It looks like a picture, since I didn't select video when filming. smash.gif And a few night shots.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Im working on a 9/14/16 post, that will include a video. And thinking more if I can find a way to Okteenerfest, maybe.

Click to view attachment
Garland
Well onward I go. A little grass and dirt on the tread, just brought up some new things to check and finish.

Click to view attachment

Checking the valves, just be sure. Wont need adjusting for a few hundred miles.

Click to view attachment

Was concerned I was not were I should be on the timing. But this is it, one tooth right , or left is way off. Just checking.

Click to view attachment

Timing mark

Click to view attachment

Need heat, this is a Michigan Build. So in it goes.

Click to view attachment

Sterring rack cover back in place (still using original factory seals)

Click to view attachment

Could not resist replacing this week pedal board, and very loose pedal.
As I said one thing leads to ……a Lot! When will it stop.

Click to view attachment

I was ask if I had any pictures of the car painted? It wasn't in the plan from the start, and as of Aug 31st it still wasn't.

But…….

I thought I would try Plasti-dip.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A/C unit in the garage helps with keeping the car cool. Its 90 in Michigan and Im painting! chair.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

First peal

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914 Rubber Deck Lid Seal Fits great, looks great, and I needed a new one.

Click to view attachment

Done with paint!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Garland
Ran into a backfire condition from one of the carbs, # 3 was popping from the carb. backed off the timing a bit, and 90% solved. Not sure were to set the timing, other then stock. Still working on it. Other then that……………….

Im a GO for Okteenerfest. that also was not in the plan till just a few days ago. So been very busy with the car getting it together, running, and making myself confident for the 11 hour drive. Ill be aligning it on a rack next week.

Other then that Im done, for the minute.

And a few art shots.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Andyrew
PD looks great! Congrats!! Great thing is you can remove it quickly if you decide to do real paint. Hope you put a couple layers on as the more layers the easier it is to remove.
Garland
Thanks

Did 6 layers. moved it in and out of the garage, to keep the body cool, and let the paint dry, not bake. 6 coats, 6 times in and out of the garage. i would only move it out to paint, quickly. it was 90 and humid, so 10 foot paint job, maybe 15. But I like it.
Garland
This was the day i first drove the build, and before paint. Just like the picture, and wanted to post it.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
6 coats should work great!

Congrats on driving it. Its a great feeling when you realize your driving your project you have been working on forever
Chris H.
Nice work! That bodywork looks professional! The headlights are pretty bright. Are you happy with the way they work?
Mueller
Very nice...turned out great!
Garland
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 8 2016, 10:13 AM) *

Nice work! That bodywork looks professional! The headlights are pretty bright. Are you happy with the way they work?

Chris,

The body work is very close, thank you. The plaisti-dip is 10 footer. The lights work great, very bright. One consern is brights, my stock fogs are aimed up a bit and fill that loss a bit. But I may upgrade to hi/low beam package, in the future.
ndfrigi
beautiful even with the plasti dip body paint. Congratulation!
3d914
Congrats on the finish. Very nice Job! Looks like you'll be one of the handful of challengers that actually gets his car running. Be sure to post that video.

Enjoy!
Garland
The video is coming next but I just learned that you can wet sand plastic dip.
Took a 40 mile drive last night freeway and back roads everything went well. Still need to get the alignment before Octeenerfest, and about 100 miles more.
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Hey as long as you have the metal covered enjoy it until the snow flies! Is it going back to red eventually or no? The exhaust looks great. Maybe think about about LED tail lights or a 3rd brake light down the road? Need to get those textanddrive people's attention.
Garland
September Update: Michigan Build
Michigan Build Link
Build progress :

A lot has happen in this month. I was going to just finish up a few things little things over the last 14 days, and then, I should paint the car!, since I'm going to Okteenerfest. So, I sprayed Plasti-Dip flat white. Came out OK, and I can peel it off!

The engine was running some what rough. So I learned a lot about carb adjustment, and balancing. Thanks for the help from our community. That took a while, I'v always run FI.

Changed out the targa sail trim back to chrome, from black. Installed wiper arms, lettering on the grill also chrome, from black.

Drove it and pictures last Sunday. Im done.

Unexpected challenges:

Last second, 3 day labor day weekend paint job.

Vendors:

Local Paint supplier.

Progress Pictures:

Here are some before and after pictures, and a few others.

5 Major Tasks to complete during the Challenge:

1. Replace back half of rear trunk floor. (Rusted, rear ended, poorly patched)

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

& Replace entire rear body panel, and Bumper. (Rear ended, poorly repaired)

& Patch in 1/2 left front fender. (Poorly repaired)

2. Delete headlamp doors, modify hood, and relocate headlamps.

3. Install 4 steel flares, and modify all valances. 5 lug, and wheel tire package.

4. Build up, and replace engine.

1.7 914 Engine balanced
260 x 396 Cam .006
96mm Big Bore kit
Mallory Unlite Distributor 14004
Weber 40 DCNF (w/ very short intakes)
Air jet 1.80 Main 1.25
2.0 L exhaust
Work in progress replacement.

5. Major interior renew.

Un-planed:

6. Paint

7. Misc:

Misc:
Turbo tie rod ends, rack spacers, and firmer springs and shocks. Also went with a pair of old front calipers I had from the 70's these are Girling calipers, that were tested for use on some VW's And a few other things. Also a stock steering wheel.

I try to use original hardware, and parts, where i can.

Previously installed Dr.Evil rear view mirror, 3rd brake lamp, and Triad exhaust. Sound system 5 way amp, w-sub and iPod plug only, no head unit.

Without the challenge, and all of the members here, I would have never got this done, much less within a year. Since as an example my other project car is over 10 years a work in process.

I have enjoyed working, and sharing the thing I enjoy doing with my free time. I have been an owner since the 70's and still enjoy every view. See some of you at Okteenerfest, my last 914 event was
2005 Mid-West Classic I took this same car there then. Im long over do.

Thank you, to all.

[size=7]Don't miss the videos!

Video #1

Video #2

Video #3

Video #4
Garland
More:

3rd Brake lamp (Not new but I was ask)

Click to view attachment

Puuled out the red dot wiper blades.

Click to view attachment

Shot of the rocker flare, to the fender.

Click to view attachment

Time to snuff the 914 tourch. Pulled and first lite early in the build. It was my 12 mt Olympics.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Garland
Click to view attachment
Garland
Click to view attachment
Garland
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Oh nice! Didn't even see that 3rd brake light! That's the point I'm sure. Glad you have one beerchug.gif . Great work and great job documenting. It's very hard to stop what you're doing and take good pictures.
Garland
Needed to just tighten up the alignment a bit so we did that today. Test drive went great.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 15 2016, 02:42 PM) *

Needed to just tighten up the alignment a bit so we did that today. Test drive went great.

Click to view attachment

Car looks great up there....at 1st it was hard to see the flares and I was like "how the heck did he get such huge tires under the stock fenders?" smile.gif
Garland
Thank you, and thank you.
Garland
brain.gif START of 2017 Build-Off Part Deux

Click to view attachment

2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

Intro 2017
October: Michigan Build

Im going to continue the build and entered the 2017 Build-Off Challange.
Here is the goals, and direction I want to go.

A. Engine:
R & Repair engine oil leaks
Replace front trans seal

B. Significant body work:
Remove the White Plasti-Dip & Finish the final body work (now primer, multi color, and poor finish work underneath)
Prime and block sand
Paint the entire car.

C. Significant interior work:
R & Replace the fuse panel, repair connections
R & Reinstall the interior to add sound deadening
Update sound system,
Modify stock seat comfort

X. Misc:
Install integrated Running lamp/3rd brake lamp.

October Update: Michigan Build

Starting with the interior. The goal here is, improve the sound system, and add some comfort, plus a few small things along the way like the new fuse panel, sound padding, and dash layout. In addition I have never taken care of the floor pan. I removed the tar padding, and worked on the dash a bit.

Overall I want to keep it "clean" less is more. I have loved the simple dash design from the first time I saw it. That was a '70 basic, not even a fog lamp switch.

Removing Plasti-Dip from primed parts of the body work, little bit at a time.

I have removed this material before, and a heat gun works best. warm it up, and scrape it off. In some spots it will lift off like a sheet. In others it may pop up due to rust. I found that this time it took a lot of effort to remove. It get tougher with age, the tar not me. : ) Some rust spots, and seems to repair. More surface rust then I thought would be there. This will pay off on my satisfaction meter when done.

I also found that with the radio, and glove box removed, theres a lot of space there. I would like to keep the sub, but not the center console. Built a trail foam board box. More to come on this.

Heres a few shots. Thanks for the look.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

Well on the floor got all the tar off, and found more decay. Imagine that! The pedals were functioning fine, but was sure there could be a concern under there. After removing the under panel to access the pedal mount nuts, and the linkages, and two interior floor mount nuts. Surprise, rust and junk. Ill rebuild the pedal cluster later, but finished the floor, and patched or repaired the damaged spots. Also rust inhibitor on the surface spots. Primer done, and the proper sealer, and Im ready for some sound deadining material next.

The seat mounts are missing from the right side, from the PO, who also so had a early interior installed.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

2017 Build-Off Challenge - OFFICAL CONTEST THREAD Link

The pedal assembly needed cleaning up, and while at it going to install the bushing kit I have had forever.

Click to view attachment

Pulled the cotter pins and tapped out the set pins. Cleaned up with wire brush, and a bit of hand sanding.

Click to view attachment

Now into the oven to bake out anything that may hurt the paint application.

Click to view attachment

500!

Click to view attachment

Open the door for a slow cool off. It also cold in Michigan. Merry Christmas.

Click to view attachment

Now painted with hi-temp heat paint.

Click to view attachment

After letting dry, completely, back into the over. starting at 200, and moving up to 350 over 1.5 hours.

Click to view attachment

Ready to assemble.

Click to view attachment

Instructions

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Factory image

Click to view attachment

LUBRIPLATE Had this a while, has proven to work over time!

Click to view attachment

Installing the brass bushings .

Click to view attachment

Finshed.

Click to view attachment

Before

Click to view attachment

After

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the look.

whitetwinturbo
stirthepot.gif wub.gif santa_smiley.gif
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Garland @ Jul 24 2016, 01:29 PM) *

idea.gif

Thinking brutal, but can make a mess. So working on rubber seals.
From scrap 914 weather striping, and seals.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Wow what a super job on the headlights!! I've been thinking of doing the same thing! Great job!
Garland
2017 Build progress :

Only fiddled with little stuf. Planed out the sound system on paper. Installed some of the matting with the heat gun.

Local electronic store, and collected some bits from the World members.
Fat-mat was a gift.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Garland
2017 Build progress :

This month was finish up the interior. Finished the dash face with one long piece, and no radio opening, and only 2 switches will be mounted. I wanted a clean look. Its a 73 but deleted the side dash vents for the early car look. Installed EZ-Cool on top of the rattle trap, a light spray of 3M 77 worked well.

Time to order the carpet from 914 Rubber, been waiting a life time for new carpet. I have always used original carpet from one car or another never bought carpet before.

Installed the pedal cluster, and cut a floor mat for under the drivers seat from some of the old carpet. Used Wurth Cockpit Care on the trim pieces, and a good cleaning.

Here are some more pictures, and I am working toward being ready for Okteenerfest. Body work and paint need to get started soon.

Wanted to point out the vendor I got the EZ-Cool at best price, and a small vendor. Harbour Supply (not Amazon $$$)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dion
beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif looks fantastic.
Nice work & progress!
Cheers, Dion
Vysoc
Garland,

Are you coming to Okteenerfest in Helen, Georgia?

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif
Garland
2017 Build progress :
Build-Off Part Deux

Carpet fits great, and 914 Rubber is the place to get it. A bit of work with the heat gun and the carpet will hold it form. Marked the location for the hand brake using the old carpet as a pattern. I also installed retractbule seat belts, and removed the early set. Its a 73 so they fit there. The fuse panel was in bad but usable shape. Needed to clean the ends up a bit, and replaced the panel it self.

Reinstalled the center arm rest I made years ago, and added a drink holder for 2 to the location that fits the tray when I need it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

The coat hooks, I never use them. So installed remote speakers wired with a crossover for hi end, low volume sound. Made the bracket and the speakers are from a Ford Taurus.
The front speakers are in housings I got here, and sealed the back of the unit for a fuller deep sound. After the install they sound great. More on the power (amp) next month. mounting and location next month.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Heres a look at the windscreen trim clean up! More to come.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mgp4591
That's a TON of great work! Did you install the Easy Cool on top of the Fat Mat? That's what I call insulation!
Garland
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 5 2017, 08:32 AM) *

That's a TON of great work! Did you install the Easy Cool on top of the Fat Mat? That's what I call insulation!

Yes, light spray with the adhesive, let it tack up, and apply.
jkb944t
Very nice work and great progress! piratenanner.gif

Jeff B
Garland
2017 Build-Off Challenge
Build-Off Part Deux

Installed new dash face, and removed the side vents, seat belt warning lamp, radio, and cig lighter.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I like the clean look of the early dash. Also replace the stock wheel with one I used in the 80's for club racing. Now I have a race car?! Well in my mind I did slip back to those days when installing the wheel.

Click to view attachment

Well the sound is lacking a bit of bass, working on a sub idea, again!
I did install the amp, and a plug-in for the iPod. Along with a charging port all at the same location. The switch is from a rear window defogger. I cut a acess hole in the right side of the tunnel at the seat. Powered the amp, and power point from the 73 center guage warning harness. I removed some of the EZ-Cool so that the switch/plugs location was sourounded with a plush look.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

whitetwinturbo
Nice aktion035.gif
Curbandgutter
Wow man that is looking great. Is that an Emerson fitipaldi steering wheel??
Garland
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Jun 29 2017, 10:23 PM) *

Wow man that is looking great. Is that an Emerson fitipaldi steering wheel??

Yes it is, had it for many years

Click to view attachment
Garland
Wanted to try a sand and paint of the top. I sanded it smooth, then sprayed texture coat to get the look. I think it came out well.

Black picture at the end is a original roof finish.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Garland
next
Garland
One more comfort item, added seat bolsters for the lower back. Simply install, and they feel great. I did modify the bag a bit with some stock vacuum line to extend the pump.
As you can see these did not start off as bolsters bags. Google for a price.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mbseto
That's a clever idea...
Garland
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jul 10 2017, 09:07 AM) *

That's a clever idea...

Thanks, I was thinking they may be to small, but after install, they feel wider and fit well into the small of "my" back
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.