Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The return of project Scarlet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
AndyB
As the title reads this is my build off thread. First this is what the car looked like when I picked her up in 2011, she was on conceinmeent.

Click to view attachment

Oh she was beautiful in her 1.8 glory. The car had 4 owners and all the paperwork to include the window sticker. Since owning her I have put over. 30k miles on her. That is more than the previous three owners combined. I have driven her through snow and rain. Earlier this year the engine went from 0 r.p.m. To turned off the ignition when it climbed past 7k, it was too late. I spun the bearings and made some round holes oval.

Andy.
AndyB
Here is my resume:
Welding nope I can melt metal so it should be fun.
Painting other then interiors of houses and drywall none.
Engine rebuilding experience ummmmm none.
I will be doing the work from start to finish by myself with some mentoring from a good buddy. So sit back and be ready to laugh as I am sure I will.

Andy
AndyB
This is how she currently sits.

Disclaimer: to those that have seen her in person, don't judge me stuff happens.

Click to view attachment
AndyB
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That's all for now.
Tom_T
Why isn't she in your big ole barn Andy!!?? confused24.gif

This is your other acquisition - not Scarlet - right?? confused24.gif

Also - get a rev limiter next time! dry.gif .... saves money in the long run!
Hopefully that wasn't the motor Tangerine built for you!?

BTW - Michael should have his 3rd stripe now! piratenanner.gif He passed promo board late Aug, then went for 2 weeks at the lovely sunny NTC - left on Labor Day Sat. (115-120 degrees there then! blink.gif ), but haven't heard from him since!
Kids!!!! dry.gif

Hey - Good Luck Buddy! beerchug.gif

Take Care,
Tom
///////
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 1 2015, 02:12 PM) *

It is Scarlet. The engine we built.
I like that he's rebuilding that engine as opposed to the conversion he's been threatening to do.

Rev Limiter won't help a no load over rev from a stuck throttle.
Probably would have survived if not for the stone cold startup, ie. no chance to build pressure when the oil is so thick.
He shut it off quick enough that it didn't go boom at least.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 1 2015, 12:08 PM) *

I like that he's rebuilding that engine as opposed to the conversion he's been threatening to do.

Probably would have survived if not for the stone cold startup, ie. no chance to build pressure when the oil is so thick.

Dang Chris, that's sad!! sad.gif

I haven't been back there fto his area or a couple of years - since our son got transferred from Ft Drum where Andy worked, over to Ft Carson CO - so haven't seen Scarlet, but he did say last time that he was t thinking of a Subie or Porsche -6 transplant.

When I drove his 914 once before your rebuild of that /4, I did notice that it had a very stiff & sticky acc cable/spring - especially as compared to my 73 2L when it ran & my current BMW 325e & other folks 914s I've driven. It gave me fits & I kept stalling his car - which I rarely ever do on any stick, since I DD my 325e (of course he gave me a ration of shit for it anyway biggrin.gif ).

I just wrote it off to the stiffer acc spring they put in the 75-76 models.

Was the over rev stuck throttle anything to do with that?

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
AndyB
Nope 5 degree weather and sitting for weeks will do that. Ask me how I know barf.gif
injunmort
wow
rjames
Is the moral of this photo 'Don't start prepping for paint until you're ready to paint' ? huh.gif

Click to view attachment
AndyB
Nope the moral of that story is why would you cover a perfectly good door with a 1/4 inch of bondo. But those photos come later.
AndyB
Besides everyone knows they are primed with rust then painted. lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
wndsnd
Looking forward to your build Andy.

AndyB
Thanks John
AndyB
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 1 2015, 03:08 PM) *

What this engine?

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
OK - so you are going to do the subie!? 4 or 6?

BTW I'll be at a biz conference in Toronto 10/13-15 via Buffalo, then flying to DC/VA etc.,

But I don't know if I can get up your way to Philly/Watertown too, in the limited time I have Thurs eve end of meetings in TOR, to 11 am report to airport/TCA for my noon-ish flight.

I'll let you know if it might work to get up there for a visit.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
AndyB
No that's what I keep telling Racer Chris. She is still going to be air cooled. Now the other car well that's a different story.
Smallblockbug
Your a little over an hour and a half away from me. Depending on things i may be able to help some.
EdwardBlume
You get points for being ambitious! beer.gif
crawler
We need some kind of prof ot the date of your build.
Maybe a newspaper with the date on it.
FourBlades

Best of luck with your build! piratenanner.gif

This should be entertaining to read and end up a cool car.

John
AndyB
QUOTE(crawler @ Oct 1 2015, 06:32 PM) *

We need some kind of prof ot the date of your build.
Maybe a newspaper with the date on it.

Click to view attachment
Happy Now?

Tom_T
QUOTE(AndyB @ Oct 1 2015, 03:15 PM) *

No that's what I keep telling Racer Chris. She is still going to be air cooled. Now the other car well that's a different story.

What the F is that motor then - a 2.4 or 2.7 flat-6 Porsche air cooled? confused24.gif

TT
///////
AndyB
A 2.2 liter 4 cylinder air cooled. Same engine that those who drove it know it's pull. I need to bring it back, I don't like not having a running car. Ambitious that depends. Ever ride shotgun in a 914? I did and did not enjoy it. Driver was a great guy.
Tom_T
QUOTE(AndyB @ Oct 1 2015, 04:06 PM) *

Ever ride shotgun in a 914? I did and did not enjoy it.

LOL That's only cuz I kept stalling your 914 Baby - between it's stiff gas linkage, my big running shoe's sole catching on the center console .... oh, & mostly due to my not having driven my own nor any 914 for a quarter of a century! laugh.gif

Good choice! The 2.2 & the Raby 2270's etc. can be set up with as much HP as the 70s flat-6's - but without the added weight of the extra bank of cylinders.

I'm guessing carbed, but watch out for the PMOs - ask Dave W./toolguy on here before you look at them, if you're considering PMOs.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
AndyB
This time around it will Have carbs but that's my preference.
AndyB
So for those that are curious as to why I stripped major paint I would like you look at the following photos.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
AndyB
If they were gonna use this much bondo the could of at least sculpted some flares. dry.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 1 2015, 06:31 PM) *

You get points for being ambitious! beer.gif

You know the saying go big or go home. Wait a second I am home.
AndyB
Cantley914 took a trip south and visited me from Canada. Now that's cool finally another 914 owner has been to my house.
914itis
QUOTE(AndyB @ Oct 4 2015, 06:16 PM) *

Cantley914 took a trip south and visited me from Canada. Now that's cool finally another 914 owner has been to my house.

confused24.gif
AndyB
Paul it says another 914 owner slap.gif
Tom_T
Hey Andy -

I resemble that remark by Paul ... he & I are both "another 914 owner" .... or are we just dog meat unless we driving.gif our own 914s to your house!> confused24.gif

.... for me, not a likely chance of doing a sunny SoCal to Frostbite Falls NY in my 73! blink.gif laugh.gif

Just poke.gif ya!

Apparently Michael has been out in sunny NTC all this time - just got a text this past weekend that he's leaving CA for Carson! huh.gif He thought it would only be 2 weeks.

PS - Tip: get some zinc primer rattle cans (Wurth, Eastwood, etc.) & flash coat the bare metal anytime it's going to sit for more thean 12-24 hours - especially back there in the high humidity, to prevent that surface rusting after you've taken off the paint to bare metal in areas. That stuff can stay on with the repaint, be welded through it, or quickly sanded off or sode/media blasted if need be - but in the meantime you won't get all that rust restarting. I did that with the pair of early-beamless `73 doors I got from Beach914 a while back, the PO before him had sanded them & left them to rust, so I sanded off the surface rust & Wurth zinc primed them til the can be worked on with the rest of the body work, so far good for 2+ years! The zinc goes sacrificial to oxidation, instead of the steel to rust!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
cary
Subscribe
AndyB
So last night I am removing the last of the bondo on the passenger side when my wife tells me she likes the car better with no paint just bare metal. What do I do?
stevegm
QUOTE(AndyB @ Oct 7 2015, 12:01 PM) *

So last night I am removing the last of the bondo on the passenger side when my wife tells me she likes the car better with no paint just bare metal. What do I do?

Clear coat the bare metal. biggrin.gif
914itis
Leave it bare metal and clear coat it .
Tom_T
QUOTE(AndyB @ Oct 7 2015, 09:01 AM) *

Right Andy, so just paint an "Open for Lunch" sign on it to invite the tin worms in! biggrin.gif

Seriously, the answer is that's it's worth more painted the original color, a bit less if color changed to OE silver for 75, & not much as a bare metal clear coated rebel 914. Women understand value, even if not the car hobby.

IMHO, it was just a hint to stop playing with your car so much & come inside honey! happy11.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914forme
Keeping Bare Metal Clean Gibbs brand, Hot Rod and Harley guys love this stuff.
AndyB
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 7 2015, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(AndyB @ Oct 7 2015, 09:01 AM) *

Right Andy, so just paint an "Open for Lunch" sign on it to invite the tin worms in! biggrin.gif

Seriously, the answer is that's it's worth more painted the original color, a bit less if color changed to OE silver for 75, & not much as a bare metal clear coated rebel 914. Women understand value, even if not the car hobby.

IMHO, it was just a hint to stop playing with your car so much & come inside honey! happy11.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Not really concerned about value the paint wasn't original to begin with.
rick 918-S
How goes the progress? popcorn[1].gif
AndyB
The build never died, to be honest the passing of my brother the privious year I thought that this would be the answer to drawing my attention away from it. It wasn't. Up until this past December I struggled with many things, my PTSD being at the top of the list and the realization of being the one to say yes to the doctors. That being said this little guy is my new battle buddy Fenway. He is here to make sure that I get back on track and follow through with this project. He is a PTSD service dog that has the worst breath in the world. Oh did I also mention my vanity tag ITSA914 is at stake?it expires next month, and I am allowed to reregister the car as long as it has been inspected and registered with in 12 months biggrin.gif

Andy

Click to view attachment
AndyB
Today I will begin with starting the 5 lug conversion kit that I got in a group who knows when but I will take pictures along the way.
Tom_T
Just sent you a PM!

Plan B for your plate may be to xfer them to your DD temporarily - if NY allows that.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
AndyB
Now seriously where is the fun in that?

AndyB
AndyB
Ok cv axel is out, what size sockets should I use to push out the hub? Any help much appreciated.

AndyB
Tom_T
It just saves the plate while you finish up .... that's all!

But then you have that huge barn to knock around in, so you'll probably "git 'er dun" in time to not need to do so! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914itis
QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 12 2017, 01:03 PM) *

The build never died, to be honest the passing of my brother the privious year I thought that this would be the answer to drawing my attention away from it. It wasn't. Up until this past December I struggled with many things, my PTSD being at the top of the list and the realization of being the one to say yes to the doctors. That being said this little guy is my new battle buddy Fenway. He is here to make sure that I get back on track and follow through with this project. Oh did I also mention my vanity tag ITSA914 is at stake?it expires next month, and I am allowed to reregister the car as long as it has been inspected and registered with in 12 months biggrin.gif

Andy

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 12 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Today I will begin with starting the 5 lug conversion kit that I got in a group who knows when but I will take pictures along the way.

Hey Andy , good to hear from you bud
ITSA914
Hm!!
Copyright ... lol

I like it .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.